Carseat question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-20-2009, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can anyone tell me (or point me in the direction of info) WHY DD will safer in her RF seat than if we turn her around.
I keep reading that they are safer but why?? I am thinking about turning DD around but want to be well informed first,
Thank you

DS (03/10) &  DD (06/07) both were/are : waterbirth.jpg homebirth.jpg winner.jpg

#2 of 9 Old 01-20-2009, 11:55 AM

Not a lot of time, but google internal decapitation

That's what happens in an accident with too young of a child ff.

-Angela
#3 of 9 Old 01-20-2009, 06:50 PM

In an accident if a child is forward facing the only thing holding in the body is the harness. The child's head flies forward and it can cause injuries to the head, neck, and spinal cord. As Angela mentioned, yes there is something called internal decapitation, and it does happen. It is when the head becomes detached from the spinal column. The spinal column can stretch up to 2 inches, but the spinal cord can only strech 1/4 in before it snaps.

If a child is RF in an accident, the back of the seat cradles their head and neck, preventing it from whipping forward. It also contains the entire body reducing arm and leg injuries.

I know it looks strange when a RF toddler's legs are curled up or crossed, and at a first glance it looks like it might be dangerous, but it's perfectly safe. There have been no documented injuries to the legs because of rear facing. And even if there was a broken leg can be repaired, a broken neck cannot.

Here are some links with a little more info.

The Importance of Rear Facing - a short video explaining well, the importance of rear facing
Sacred Journeys - Rear Facing Rocks - a great site with lots of good info and links
Joel's Journey - warning, this is about a child who broke his neck in a car accident
RF Crash Test vs. Forward Facing Crash Test - actual crash test footage
Rear Facing Photo Album - this shows pictures of older children rear facing

Rebecca, CPST, Navy wife to Chris, furmama to Fenway
#4 of 9 Old 01-20-2009, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yup, when rearfacing the seat cradles their head and neck in an accident. If FFINg, the head goes flying forward. And young children have BIG Heads compared to the rest of their body and the bones in their neck are not as fused. Results in some bad spinal injuries and possibly death.

ETA - oooops, had this open for a bit before responding, the PP covered it well.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#5 of 9 Old 01-21-2009, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, but wont the same head action happen with a rear facing child if you are rearended??
I'm not trying to br difficult but in my head is 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Please dont think I am being flip about my DDs safety!! Not in any way, I just want to fully understand.

Edited: Ok, I just saw the video. I didnt realize front end was so much more common. I guess we'll be leaving her RF for as long as the seat will hold her.
Thank you mamas!

DS (03/10) &  DD (06/07) both were/are : waterbirth.jpg homebirth.jpg winner.jpg

#6 of 9 Old 01-21-2009, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beating Earth View Post
Edited: Ok, I just saw the video. I didnt realize front end was so much more common. I guess we'll be leaving her RF for as long as the seat will hold her.
Thank you mamas!
I think the frontal impact issue is even more than what we think. My understanding is that it isn't just that there are more frontal impacts but the severity of that type of crash is far more significant...

What if I am hit from behind? Won't my child be safer facing forward?

Frontal and side impacts are the most common type of crashes. They account for 96% of all crashes. They are also the most deadly type of crashes (especially side impacts) and rear-facing children have MUCH more protection in both types of crashes than forward-facing. In the 4% of rear impact crashes that a rear-facing child would be in, they have at least the same amount of protection that a FF child would have in a frontal impact, with the added benefit of less crash energy being transferred to them, and the fact that the rear impact is usually not as severe.

The forces in a rear impact crash are much different from the forces in a frontal impact crash. In a frontal impact, the forces are much greater because the vehicles are usually traveling in opposite directions. Experts suggest that a frontal crash is the same as hitting a concrete barrier � the vehicle and all occupants come to a dead stop within less than 1 second.

When you are struck in a rear impact, the vehicles involved are traveling in the same direction, and the vehicle that is hit in the back has room to move forward. The crash force on the occupants is much less than in a frontal impact. The movement of the impacted vehicle, in addition to the crush zone, absorbs a lot of the crash energy, so it is not transferred to the child. Additionally, the majority of rear impacts are at low speeds.

In short, if your child is rear-facing, he has optimal protection in the types of crashes you are most likely to be in. If he is forward-facing, he may have optimal protection in a rear-end crash, but statistically, that is the least likely to happen and he is 60% more likely to be injured or killed in the types of crashes (frontal, side impact) you are most likely to be in.

You can learn more about the physics of rear-facing at http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html

#7 of 9 Old 01-21-2009, 03:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
And the reason frontal imacts are so bad, is that even though the car stops suddenly, our bodies keep moving forward (remember back to high school physics!). In a rear impact crash, the car will stop, but a lot less suddenly and the child's body still is pushed forward towards the front of the car as the car stops. The only exception would be if you were backing up, in which case you're going super slow anyways.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#8 of 9 Old 01-21-2009, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for that info megababymama.
I am definitely going to keep DD RF for as long as possible. I'm so glad you are all here to answer everyones questions.
Thanks again to everyone

#9 of 9 Old 02-02-2009, 08:42 PM

wow- thanks!

I mean this is a nice easy break down I can use when people start to question me....

hang.gif  WOHMama to dust.gifDD (July 2008) and coolshine.gif DS (May 2013); wife to DH sleepytime.gif.

Live your life, like your life depends on it. joy.gif         

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page