Double Stroller Recommendations - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 02-09-2009, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have four kids ages 7.5, 4.5, 22 mo, & 1 mo and I need a double stroller. My 4.5 yo likes to ride and so does the 22 mo. I sling the baby but she is already showing signs of wanting to be put down and not held.

Here are some questions that I have/things that I want in a stroller:

-Which configuration is best? Why?
-I want something in the 100-$200 (maybe 300) because it is not something that I will use all of the time.
-Have you had any problems with brakes not holding any other safety issues?
-How difficult is it to collapse and store?
-Is it too heavy or unweildy?
-Does it have storage on the bottom?

TIA for any help. My head is spinning from reading reviews. Now I want personal experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 02-09-2009, 03:19 PM

You might look into the triple sit n stand. My friends love their double ones and I really wish we could afford one. I can't go on long walks right now. I would not recommend the combi savvy twin. Though it folds great, it has not held up well.

Jessica, mama to Emma, 7, Mattie, 5.5 and Lilly, 3 and someone new this Halloween-ish.

#3 of 14 Old 02-09-2009, 03:30 PM

so..you really want a triple stroller?
there are not many triple options, and under $300..I'm not sure there are any?

We have a sit and stand, and love it...and in fact, you *could* fit 3 kids in it, if the kids cooperated..there is 1 seat in front for the 1 mo. Then, there is a back platform are with 1 tiny bench seat, and 1 standing platform..the older child is supposed to get to choose whether to sit or stand, but you could put both a child on the tiny seat, and a child standing.....but it would be very tight.

The joovy big caboose triple has 2 seats plus a standing platform...which is what the triple sit and stand had, but I dont know that you can get them anymore?
Otherwise...what sort of a situation would you be using it in? A wagon might be an easier and cheaper choice.

CPST
#4 of 14 Old 02-09-2009, 03:41 PM

oh, gosh. triple strollers are insanely huge. I would get a good baby carrier and a compact double. Or something like the phil and teds that can convert to a 1 seater.

My kids are all 2 yrs apart and we've had times where a double got used and more times where a single worked just fine. Even with so many small children to keep track of.

I do use a double jogger right now because we live in a sandy/dirt road area and need it for walks, but most of the time only 1 seat is occupied. I would much prefer a single jogger and plan to sell mine to help fund one.

I had a peg perego twin aria (side-by-side) that I liked okay and a graco duoglider (tandem) that I hated. We do use a Peg Perego P3 now that has a small footboard on back for an older child to stand on.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#5 of 14 Old 02-09-2009, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

I DO NOT want a triple stroller.

I want a double for doing things like going shopping, going to the zoo, and other outings of that nature. I have seen double strollers for as little as $115. Target has a sale on them right now and I have a $25 coupon.

A wagon takes up too much space and would not meet my needs. My biggest concern is safety and logistics. Most strollers have a weight limit of 40lbs per seat so my 4.5 yo will grow out of it about the time the 1 mo grows into it.
#6 of 14 Old 02-09-2009, 04:02 PM

I like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Kolcraft-Conto.../dp/B000J2DQPA

because of all the options. Seen it a couple of times in person, but I haven't personally handled it. Know one mom who has it and likes it though. Babydepot (burlington) carries it for around $200

-Angela
#7 of 14 Old 02-09-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
I like this one:

because of all the options. Seen it a couple of times in person, but I haven't personally handled it. Know one mom who has it and likes it though. Babydepot (burlington) carries it for around $200

-Angela

wow i like the looks of that one, hadn't seen it before.. i love my friends side by side double maclaren thats what i would get if i had a need for a double! i have a joovy cabose ( sit and stand) and my 21 month old hates the seat and can get out of the straps and its not very good for sleeping in.

Susan, Mom to 4- Elizabeth 12, Hailey 9, Sammy 7, Caroline 3
#8 of 14 Old 02-09-2009, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
For a bargain, check out your local craigslist as well. There are doubles on ours all the time for good prices.

I have a Joovy Caboose anda like it, but I tend to just use my Pliko P3 with the small sibling step on the back.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#9 of 14 Old 02-10-2009, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I like this one:

-Angela
Thanks! I will keep that one in mind.
#10 of 14 Old 02-10-2009, 01:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post
For a bargain, check out your local craigslist as well. There are doubles on ours all the time for good prices.

I have a Joovy Caboose anda like it, but I tend to just use my Pliko P3 with the small sibling step on the back.
I am hesitant to buy used because I can't take it back if I don't like it or if it breaks. I bought a used single stroller with my first daughter and it broke shortly after I got it.

I will look into those two.
#11 of 14 Old 02-10-2009, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Does anybody else have any recommendations or things to watch out for in a double stroller?
#12 of 14 Old 02-10-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
I like this one:

-Angela
I'm looking for a double stroller as well and I was originally drawn to this one but I found out that you have to take one of the seat out before you can fold it up. I suppose you only fold/unfold when you first set it up or want to put it away, but it's the one thing I'm not sure I want to deal with. Anyone have input on this? I guess I need to see it in person before deciding.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
#13 of 14 Old 02-10-2009, 05:02 PM

I have 2 double strollers and use them for very different things. Neither are 'high end' and we don't stroller often (liesurely walks as opposed to daily mode of transportation).
I *heart* my sit-n-stand. When we go on walks my toddler can get on and off so easily and he likes to stand and hang on tight... it makes him feel like a big boy while still getting a ride. He can get down to collect leaves or rocks or chase a squirrel, then hop back on to continue the walk. I bought it new for about 200 I think, but I've seen them cheaper, especially on sale or with a coupon. It would be easy for different sized kids to ride at different times, too (like if your 7yo got tired). We use it for walks and mall shopping. The seats have "infinite recline positions" but the way they do it is really awkward bc you have to support the weight of the child to slide the strap out.
Cons: It is bulky when folded, the wheels have to be 'just right' for it to fold all the way down, the under seat storage is really hard to access, it requires a separate piece instead of the snack tray to click in a carseat which is not easily interchangeable, the footroom in the rear seat (if installed as a double stroller with 2 seats and not sit n stand) is minimal and uncomfortable.

My graco duoglider I got at a garage sale for 60 dollars. It's in really good condition. Graco readily has replacement parts if needed and I find their products worth the price you pay (don't last that long but are durable for as long as you need them). It is lighter and slimmer than the sitnstand, but you could not fit your older children in it as easily, imo. It would be pushing it for your 4.5 yo. I find this easier to steer and lift, but not to clean. The under seat storage is more easily accessible. We use this one when we go busy places like art fairs or traveling (if we take a double with us). The recline is really easy to do and more 'flat' but it's either reclined or not, so it's not as adjustable as the other.

I hope this is helpful. Really, what I prefer is the umbrella stroller with baby bean in the wrap. Big bean can get in and out as he needs, its lightweight and easy to use. But I do use my doubles too (wish I had it at the zoo today... ahem... hubby who moves things out of my car without telling me....) especially when toting gear for multiple kiddos.

Also, have you considered a wagon? With the baby in the sling your middle 2 kids would fit in really well and you could pile cargo in between their feet.

B wife to B and mama to my two boys B 1/23/07 via csect and H 9/27/08 my vbac babe!
We , selectively (don't) vax, babywear, cosleep, love music, and try to be as crunchy as we can get!
#14 of 14 Old 02-10-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrum97 View Post
I'm looking for a double stroller as well and I was originally drawn to this one but I found out that you have to take one of the seat out before you can fold it up. I suppose you only fold/unfold when you first set it up or want to put it away, but it's the one thing I'm not sure I want to deal with. Anyone have input on this? I guess I need to see it in person before deciding.
I've only seen it, not used it, but that would make sense. A lot of the single strollers with reversible seats have to have the seat removed to fold.

-Angela

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page