Need to buy a used car - question about car seats - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-14-2009, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We need to buy a car in the next month and I was wondering about car seat installation. We are going to need to install one toddler seat for now, but soon will need to safely install a toddler seat (or probably a booster soon actually) and a rear facing seat for a newborn. We were thinking of getting a small four door older Japanese car but I was wondering about people's experiences with these cars and car seats. When was the LATCH system first installed?

, , , , , to DD1 (4.5 years old) and DD2 (7 months) and 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 02-14-2009, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a 2000 Honda Civic and I believe it's the last year when it was allowed to have no latch system. We're in Canada, so the rules could be different.

We fit a RFing convertible seat (Eddie Bauer 3 in 1) as well as a RFing infant bucket seat in the two side back seats of that car for a year until we bought a bigger car. Granted, both DH and I are short (I'm 5'0 and he's 5'7) so it worked for us.

Will your toddler seat be RFing or FFing - how old is the child? If it's RFing, it might only work if at least one of you is short. Put the bucket in the middle and put the RFing toddler seat behind the shorter parent's seat.

If you're both tall, you might only be able to fit the toddler seat FFing on either side of the RFing infant seat in the middle.

By the way, we are currently using the Radian RF for my 2.5yr old and we have to have the front passenger seat way forward even in our CRV - it's a really narrow seat, but very long.

We LOVE japanese cars - we have two Hondas. They are just the most reliable and best for resale value - Toyotas are the same.

Mama to my two sweet monkeys - DD '04 and DS '06
#3 of 3 Old 02-14-2009, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
In the US latch became mandatory in 2002. Some 2001s have it. A lot of cars before then have at least the upper tethers. I'd make sure that you get a vehicle with the upper tethers if at all possible, I wouldn't worry about the lower latch since seatbelt installs are just as safe.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page