How do you finance your carseat purchases? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-24-2009, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
FWIW from the OP.....we will most likely purchase a Nautilus in a couple of months. I think we can squeak by until then. You can get them for $149 on walmart.com. It doesn't get DS back to RF but I feel good overall about the decision. I've read a lot of reviews and this seat makes good sense for our family.

We will be "financing" this purchase....with proceeds from a garage sale and the savings from going to cloth diapers 75% of the time. I mentioned in a previous post something about CD. I remembered a supply of 12 prefolds I had in my craft supplies downstairs. I never got around to the project. The chore this evening was to find a store in town with pins and plastic covers. Either CD is really becoming popular in our area or people are being forced to b/c of the economy. But, it took 3 major chain stores to find the pins and plastic covers and when I did there was 1 pack of pins and maybe 3-4 packs of the pants.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2009, 12:12 AM

I'm not a good example of this; the only thing we've bought was the Boulevard and that was tax time, 3 years ago. This year we need to purchase another out of taxes, most likely a Frontier. If I got hit with a surprise growth spurt, I'd either suck it up and a bill wouldn't get paid, or I'd put it on credit (and I'm not someone who charges stuff I can't pay off next month). I figure we're avoiding vast amounts of typical baby/small child expenditures; this is really the only expensive thing that we agree is important and necessary.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxthecatrules View Post
FWIW from the OP.....we will most likely purchase a Nautilus in a couple of months. I think we can squeak by until then. You can get them for $149 on walmart.com. It doesn't get DS back to RF but I feel good overall about the decision. I've read a lot of reviews and this seat makes good sense for our family.
how old/big/heavy is your child? If they're a ways away from 35lbs I'd do a truefit instead- they're on clearance a lot of places- I've heard for under $100

-Angela
Old 02-24-2009, 12:22 AM

we have 3 Boulevards. i bought one when they were on sale (feb. or oct. cant remember which month) before ds3 was born. i purchased the other 2 from amazon in a pattern that i dont love but they were $225 each.

what i dont have: crib, bassinet, swing, bouncy seats, nursery get up (the boys have a play room where a "nursery" would otherwise be)....im sure there are plenty of other things we dont have or spend $$/ on that justifies the expense of my car seats.

i purchase my sons' clothing at a hanna andersson outlet. when on sale only. or at a consignment store.

we found one of our Stokke high chairs on craiglist (bought one on sale).

i purchase ALL child related products 2nd hand (or borrow..we have a few baby items that belong to my friend) EXCEPT car seats. there is no way to know if a car seat has been in an accident. unless you know someone, i wouldnt take a used car seat.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:23 AM

angela, do you know who has true fits for under $100 right now???

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

Old 02-24-2009, 12:31 AM

OP, if you do go with the Nauti, check Amazon.com before buying at walmart.com; you can often get the seat for $150 shipped from Amazon and no tax. I know you can get site to store shipping for free at WM, but you'll have to pay tax. Not a huge savings, but it's something.

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

Old 02-24-2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayleeZoo View Post
angela, do you know who has true fits for under $100 right now???
I've heard people are finding them at Target.

-Angela
Old 02-24-2009, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
I've heard people are finding them at Target.

-Angela
I hope they are on clearance at mine! thanks for the heads up.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:47 AM

darnit. none left at clearance prices in albuquerque, i've already checked. well, i did get the como for $100 at woot, so i should be happy with that score

Old 02-24-2009, 12:47 AM

Honestly, we squeak by and do the best we can. My son is in a cheap scenera for the moment. We'll replace that with tax refund money as we can, and use that as a back up seat. Sadly he outgrew the snugride before my budget wanted him to, and I don't use plastic.

My daughter will be getting a nautilus- she's 40lbs and 7 years old. She's been in a belt-positioning booster, but tiny as she is, we'll be harnessing her again asap.

Of course, since I'm currently pregnant, we get to use the bucket again next year until tax season again when we add another more expensive seat to the collection.

I think there is a huge schism within society, and some people can't fathom not having that $5 to set aside each week or month. Even when people do tighten the belts and cut out all the extras, it just isn't there. Explaining that you can buy x number of seats a week for what you pay in childcare/food/whatever doesn't help make a connection. When you are paying a nanny a weekly salary equivalent to what some people earn in a month, you are really going to struggle with understanding where people are coming from when they are truly perplexed by how people can afford these seats.

For someone earning less than 10K/ year and trying to raise a family, it's not ever going to be as easy as that.

I live in a very rural area. With a graduate degree, jobs start at about
$8/hour.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:15 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayleeZoo View Post
OP, if you do go with the Nauti, check Amazon.com before buying at walmart.com; you can often get the seat for $150 shipped from Amazon and no tax. I know you can get site to store shipping for free at WM, but you'll have to pay tax. Not a huge savings, but it's something.
Unless you live in WA, then you have to pay tax at Amazon. (because they are based in WA and have a presence in the state).

I found the cheapest deal for the nautilus at shop.com. But that was over a year ago. Ended up getting it for $114 or $117. It was a steal!

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
Old 02-24-2009, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabbit View Post
All car seats are tested to a minimum standard of safety, so they are all SAFE.

I work with Safe Kids. I hand out $40 seats every day. And I wouldn't do it if I didn't think the kids left safer than they arrived. Are my kids riding in Britax seats? Sometimes. My DH and I have Britax seats in our cars. But my son rides in the same Evenflo seat in his sitters car that I hand out to my low-income families every day at work. And my DD rides in a TurboBooster in her Grandparent's car. We do the best we can.

This bears repeating... ALL car seats are crash tested to the same safety standards. They are ALL safe.

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

Old 02-24-2009, 01:28 AM

Quote:
This bears repeating... ALL car seats are crash tested to the same safety standards. They are ALL safe.
If only we could know for sure that some seats are not safER than others

Old 02-24-2009, 01:29 AM

Well, we only have one car now, but when we had 2 cars we had 2 marathons in one and 2 roundabouts in another... We don't use credit, at all, ever, and haven't in like 8+ years, so we just buy carseats with money we have in the bank? I don't know, a purchase under $400 (which is more than any of our car seats have ever cost) doesn't really need financing, or I'd never think of it as a big purchase, to me something that needs financing is a new car, or a house...so yea, I agree that I think I just never thought about it. For us, affording a $300 carseat would mean like not going out for sushi for a month and saving that money...so yea.

We have boulevards for our older kids right now, they will soon move to nautiluses (and then perhaps to regents...depends on Kincaid's developmental level when he outgrows the nautilus, and Janelle's weight when she outgrows the nautilus (it's very possible she will still be under 40lbs when she outgrows the height on even a regent...since she is growing taller everyday, but not gaining weight, in the past 6 months she has lost 1lb) on what we will do next). When they move to the nautilus we will move our 18 month old to one of their boulevards. We also have a key fit, but it's still in the box since River won't be here till may.

Jillian wife to Ryan and mommy to Janelle Ashlynn (9/09/2002), Kincaid Chance (3/29/2004), Travis Neil (8/13/2007) and River Anderson (5/02/2009).
Old 02-24-2009, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemyavery View Post

that may be true, but some seats are easier to install than others. easy installation is worth ALOT to me.

and some companies are not companies that i want to be purchasing from, since they obviously cant be trusted to recall products they know to be faulty.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:34 AM

Quote:
and some companies are not companies that i want to be purchasing from, since they obviously cant be trusted to recall products they know to be faulty.
Especially when children have to DIE before these companies will take action, when it's been proven that they knew about the issues beforehand :

Old 02-24-2009, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter

I figured people maybe referring to Target regarding the TrueFits. Ours still have them at full price. So either they had some on sale and they're gone or I need to keep looking every few days. Our Target had some really good sales about 3 weeks ago so my guess is that they're probably gone. I bought $125 Graco Duoglider stroller for $31 during that sale. Super good score on that one!!

"I think there is a huge schism within society, and some people can't fathom not having that $5 to set aside each week or month. Even when people do tighten the belts and cut out all the extras, it just isn't there. Explaining that you can buy x number of seats a week for what you pay in childcare/food/whatever doesn't help make a connection. When you are paying a nanny a weekly salary equivalent to what some people earn in a month, you are really going to struggle with understanding where people are coming from when they are truly perplexed by how people can afford these seats.

For someone earning less than 10K/ year and trying to raise a family, it's not ever going to be as easy as that.

I live in a very rural area. With a graduate degree, jobs start at about
$8/hour."

Confusciation....nice post. That was in a sense what I was trying to get at in the first place. Wages in our area are not as depressed as what they are in yours. But, most of the families I know IRL pretty much have their paychecks budgeted down to the last dollar and coming up with money for a $300 carseat is out of the question. Even with squirreling away the money here and there. A $100 seat, yes. $300, no. I know of one family with 6 members that has $85 to spend on groceries every two weeks at Aldi's. They ride bicycles a lot of the time but when they do drive the 20+ year old station wagon their youngest child is in a carseat that is WAY too old to be in use. How do you go up to them and say "that seat is really unsafe and you should get a different seat for DS". A Scenera for them is a weeks worth of groceries!!

And for the record....DH and I buy a lot of stuff used. In fact this past weekend we hit a local thrift store for the 1/2 price clothes day. We've done the same thing w/toys. Came away with 5 articles of childrens clothing for $3.50. Most of our childrens clothes are hand me downs or from garage sales. Very very very little new clothing in our household. As far as baby items are concerned....we spent $5 on a exersaucer at a garage sale, one of our 2 cribs was given to us, the other we spent $20, our Peg Perego highchair was purchased on ebay for $65 (in mint condition), Peg Perego Pliko stroller ebay $45, Peg Perego Tender Twin stroller...free from a friend, Fisher Price portable baby swing garage sale $3, the dresser/changing table $20 total ($5 for the dresser, $5 paint, $4 knobs, $6 worth of plywood for the changing table part DH constructed). I could go on and on.

The only thing baby wise that we have not been or could not be frugal on is diapering and formula. Up until today we didn't not cloth diaper but always bought store brand diapers. We have never purchased Pampers or Huggies. As far as formula is concerned we have ALWAYS purchased the huge cans at Sams Club for $19.50. We've never paid more than $1.00 for a can of Enfamil. I use the formula checks to purchase the ready to feed cans. Nothing like getting almost 2 days of feedings for under $1. I could not BF. No, not everyone can BF.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post

what i dont have: crib, bassinet, swing, bouncy seats, nursery get up (the boys have a play room where a "nursery" would otherwise be)....im sure there are plenty of other things we dont have or spend $$/ on that justifies the expense of my car seats.
ohh, yea, this too...we don't have baby "stuff"...we have a couple strollers that are over 6 years old that we got at our baby shower for our 6 1/2 year old daughter, and we have some slings, most also around 6 years old...and that is really it...not because we can't afford it, but because we had it all at one point (I had a baby shower with over 100 women present, all family, so really, we had it all) and we never used any of it...our kids don't like swings, they like to sleep on our chests, they like to be carried, etc etc etc, so there was no reason to buy new stuff for our other kids (and we sold the other stuff a long time ago)...

So really, carseats and clothes are the only things I've ever had to buy for my kids...well toys, but they don't NEED those... I will admit to a clothing addiction though. That however is getting better now that my 6 year old has her own opinion, cause boy clothes just aren't as fun...

Jillian wife to Ryan and mommy to Janelle Ashlynn (9/09/2002), Kincaid Chance (3/29/2004), Travis Neil (8/13/2007) and River Anderson (5/02/2009).
Old 02-24-2009, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyra View Post
Do you think you'd feel differently, if it were you who couldn't afford a safe car, or nutritious food?
It's easy to get caught up in thoughts like I can't believe anybody would put their kid in such an unsafe seat, and similar thoughts, and forget that they might WANT something safer, might know very well that something safer is available, and be entirely unable to access it.
This was in reference to raising standards... but it makes an interesting assumption: that raising standards (such that all seats can provide for RF until preschool age and FF harnessed until developmentally ready to use a seatbelt properly) would put that standard in reach of families who don't feel they can currently afford it.

Many folks have addressed the fallacy of the assumption that anyone here is standing in judgment about the "safety" of using seats that don't cost a ton of money. A brand-new Scenera is safer than a 10-year-old overhead shield seat, hands down, and will keep kids RF "long enough".

But there's another half to that: Sceneras are cheap, and are made by Dorel. Dorel has played the "waiting game" with recalls, even after compelling crash investigation evidence that design flaws in their seats may have increased injuries or caused death. This causes many parents to find them untrustworthy, and they wouldn't use that seat. This is, perhaps, one of the things you'd like to see abolished, in making all seats "safe".

But... that wouldn't lead to a $40 carseat that RFs to 35 lbs. and a reasonable height, AND doesn't have this, er, administrative quirk. It would raise the price. Dorel didn't choose that course of action because it was fun; they chose it because it was CHEAPER.

Britax, on the other end of the spectrum, has excellent internal testing, and routinely (though not exactly frequently) issues recalls without any prompting at all. They simply correct a design flaw, make a press release, and send out repair kits to registered seat owners. That is an expensive practice, and that expense is reflected in the costs of the seats.

If all manufacturers were somehow "required" to meet that standard, all the cheap seats would get a lot more expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by confustication View Post
I think there is a huge schism within society, and some people can't fathom not having that $5 to set aside each week or month. Even when people do tighten the belts and cut out all the extras, it just isn't there. Explaining that you can buy x number of seats a week for what you pay in childcare/food/whatever doesn't help make a connection. When you are paying a nanny a weekly salary equivalent to what some people earn in a month, you are really going to struggle with understanding where people are coming from when they are truly perplexed by how people can afford these seats.
There is a schism in our society, you're right. And I was trying to highlight the opposite side of that schism. The OP was asking how anyone can afford these seats, because no families *she* knows have that kind of money. I was making the point that there certainly *are* families for whom a $250 carseat is not a stretch in any way.

There's sometimes a tendency toward indignation and entitlement when it comes to stuff like this. If "no" family could possibly afford such a purchase easily, it's a lot shorter a leap to say "It shouldn't cost this much!" But it's just not true; many families can.

Let me make this plain: if our finances were tighter, we would SELL OUR CAR before we would use a seat that seemed inadequate. And by "inadequate" I don't mean "not Britax;" I mean a seat with an unknown history, an expired seat, a broken seat, a seat my child had outgrown, or a seat that could not safely secure my child in an age-appropriate manner (RF, FF harnessed, high-back booster, etc.). As it is we're a one-car family (which also saves on seats); every single day, my husband or I take the bus to work. We picked our house with transit accessibility in mind, because we did not want to "need" a car.

I see a lot of people talk about how they "need" a car, without acknowledging the choices they have made that cause them to "need" a car. If you live in a rural area, chances are, you "need" a car. But do you "need" to live in a rural area? In a few cases, yes; if all your training and education is geared toward agriculture, that's where you can get a job. If you have certain chemical sensitivities or allergies, it may be the only way to maintain your health. There may also be other reasons why a person really doesn't have an alternative to rural living. But an awful lot of the same people I see claim that they "need" a car choose to live in areas based on personal preferences like schooling options, wanting to have lots of land, etc. If you choose to live in a rural area for certain reasons, then you *choose* to have a car. Just as I choose to live in a fairly dense urban environment, and I choose to deal with the noise or traffic or crime issues that go along with it.

So... the vast majority of people who have to use a carseat have made choices along the line that forced that issue. It's important to acknowledge those choices and take responsibility for them. It's fine to not have the money for a Britax seat; it's not even the first seat I'd recommend anymore (and I never was a fan of their bucket). It's NOT fine to put yourself in a position where you don't have a choice but to secure your child in a car, and then not do it properly, especially when there's organizations like SafeKids and Kyle David ****** Foundation that will help out low-income families with carseats.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:33 AM

Out of the many things you can buy for your child even the top of the line car seats like the Britax don't seem that expensive. We just got a Britax for 180 that we had been saving for. We had to cut some stuff out but the fact that it will harness longer than some is important and can save us money down the line.
I do know 180[or normal 280] IS a lot of money but compared to all the stuff like cribs, swings, etc that people buy its not a lot of money. I just dont think people think about car seats as much as they do a matching nursery.
Oh And no we dont have a crib or anything, we did just get a twin Serta bed for 100 at Big Lots though for eventual use!! wooooo, awesome deal

Mama to Belly(5), homesteading in the desert with our chickens and sheep. Fish nerd, really into my reef tank. Baby due Sep 3rd!

Old 02-24-2009, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

"I see a lot of people talk about how they "need" a car, without acknowledging the choices they have made that cause them to "need" a car. If you live in a rural area, chances are, you "need" a car. But do you "need" to live in a rural area? In a few cases, yes; if all your training and education is geared toward agriculture, that's where you can get a job. If you have certain chemical sensitivities or allergies, it may be the only way to maintain your health. There may also be other reasons why a person really doesn't have an alternative to rural living. But an awful lot of the same people I see claim that they "need" a car choose to live in areas based on personal preferences like schooling options, wanting to have lots of land, etc. If you choose to live in a rural area for certain reasons, then you *choose* to have a car. Just as I choose to live in a fairly dense urban environment, and I choose to deal with the noise or traffic or crime issues that go along with it."

I live in a rural area. I "choose" to live here b/c this is where I grew up. This is where my DH grew up. So we have family support on both sides. To me that in and of itself is priceless.

If you want to talk about expenses....I thought I seen something about you living in LA. Your housing is WAY WAY WAY more expensive than where we live. I know of people in southern CA that pay more for rent on a super tiny apartment than we do for a 3 bedroom 2 bath house with a nice front and backyard. A lot of stuff is way more expensive in CA than in the midwest. So the packing up and moving thing doesn't hold a lot water for me. Sorry.

It also costs money to pack up and move. And, once there, then what? You may or may not have a job. Its just not as simple as moving from the midwest to somewhere on one of the coasts. I know of one family who tried this very thing late last summer and they ended up back home 3 months later. Gave up good job at home, got to CA, was laid off 3 weeks later, no family around for support, ended up back home.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
that may be true, but some seats are easier to install than others. easy installation is worth ALOT to me.
It's worth it to a lot of people. So is plushness and comfort. And so is supporting a company you like. But sometimes the money just isn't there, and the bottom line is that the inexpensive seats, when used properly, will keep kids safe. I also work with Safe Kids, and I put kids in seats that might not be my own personal first choice, but I know will keep them safe.

And P.S. - I'm a tech and don't (currently) own a Britax, and while this isn't meant as a brag, I could come up with the cash it if I thought it was important enough.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironica View Post
I see a lot of people talk about how they "need" a car, without acknowledging the choices they have made that cause them to "need" a car.
Hmmm, it also should be acknowledged that there are areas where one DOES need a car.

I live in a huge city. In a fairly urban-close-in area (not suburbia by any stretch) and we need a car. Further- we need TWO cars. Yes, need.

Dh's job requires him to drive between clients several times a day. He must have a car- no question.

Public transit here is nearly non-existent. I could not go anywhere during the day except one or two parks (each a mile or more- therefore really unsafe to walk to in the heat of the summer with kids)

As we are homeschooling, that would leave me and the kids stranded at home every day for a long time to come. That is not practical or a feasible option. (it would also make my part time job completely impossible)

Is there somewhere else in town we could live and rely on public transit? Not really. Houston has embarrassingly useless public transit. There is nowhere we could live in this city without being SIGNIFICANTLY handicapped by having just ONE car.

Cars are a necessity in many parts of the US. That is a fact of life.

-Angela
Old 02-24-2009, 01:30 PM

there are only 2 or 3 towns in my state that i know that i could live without owning a car, unless i lived in one of the larger cities. i dont live there and cant live there b/c DP already commutes over an hour to work each day..those towns would put us even further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post
It's worth it to a lot of people. So is plushness and comfort. And so is supporting a company you like. But sometimes the money just isn't there, and the bottom line is that the inexpensive seats, when used properly, will keep kids safe. I also work with Safe Kids, and I put kids in seats that might not be my own personal first choice, but I know will keep them safe.

And P.S. - I'm a tech and don't (currently) own a Britax, and while this isn't meant as a brag, I could come up with the cash it if I thought it was important enough.
im only quoting you b/c you quoted me.
i dont disagree with you. i know that we chose to pay for easily installation, plushness, comfort, and supporting a company that does voluntary recalls.

and i have never said car seats from co's other than britax arent safe. i guess the assumption is that they are safe, until recalled...and for me, its important to know how those recalls happen. some co's dont recall until forced...so really, those seats were on the market and UNSAFE but we (consumers) didnt know for a long time...long after the co's knew...and that bothers me.

i dont view this issue as a bragging issue. i had a very hard time getting our first BV. i wont go into personal details but 3 1/2 years ago wasnt the most financially secure time of my life...i had to really push to get a Marathon (that we no longer have).

my posts are never intended to make someone feel badly if they cant get a Britax. but the Q was "how did you fund your car seats". I feel that I have made some choices about kids' products that allow me to stomach the price of the car seats a bit easier i guess.

as far as those who can not afford a decent car seat, i have actually GIVEN a brand new True Fit to our great neice who was apparently riding around in a seat that was probably one of the first model car seats out there. I try to help out as much as I can. However, I have a fear that they may not be using it correctly. It breaks my heart.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Hmmm, it also should be acknowledged that there are areas where one DOES need a car.
I did acknowledge that. Readily. And people may have very good reasons for choosing to live in those places, including having family available, liking their jobs, or having grown up there. Those are all fine reasons for choosing to live in a place.

But, if it's a place where you need a car, you chose to need a car, too. That is *part* of the choice. Just because you can't see yourself making a different choice doesn't mean you didn't make a choice.

With what my husband and I make, we could have bought a bigger house on a bigger lot for less money in many areas of Southern California... but they would have been areas with poor transit service and longer commutes to where we were likely to work. We would have needed two cars. We did not make that choice. That's not judgment on people who do... so long as they realize they're choosing, then, to have two cars; to insure both cars; and to put their kids in safe carseats whenever they drive them anywhere.

As for housing prices in Los Angeles, don't I know it. ;-) But someone mentioned upthread living in an area where with a graduate degree, you can start at $8/hour. My first job out of grad school, I'm making $35/hour (and I'm not even working in my field). So if my house cost 4x as much, I also can afford to pay for it, you know?

I'm not saying "Well, you should pick up and move; it's better here." I'm saying, "I can understand why you want to live where you do; recognize that that choice includes certain things like needing carseats." It's part of the cost of living if you're reliant on a car.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:31 PM

sorry - but I had to laugh at the notion that everyone can 'choose' to live with or without a car if it matters ... we live in Houston as well. Sure, we all make choices, and choosing to live with one car or no car is just that: a choice. Ironically, the people who do it are either doing it out of necessity, or they're well-off and doing it out of an educated choice (with a career that allows it). It's not something that is easy to do in most places. And certainly not even in most urban cities anymore.

DH has a good job, but it's on the other side of the city. I suppose one could argue that we should move closer to his job, but his office has moved 3 times in the past year! And, our house has an enormous amount of equity - so I'm not selling in order to live somewhere less appealing. We're fortunate to live within 'walking distance' of a grocery store, but it's not the one we prefer, nor is the co-op or farmers' market nearby. (but I admit I have only walked to the grocery store two times ever) We have a bus stop nearby, but it would take 2-3 times as long to get anywhere by bus - and probably more money! and definitely more stress with 3 kids!

So, we do have 2 cars. But before we decided that 3 kids was ok, we looked at our cars and asked ourselves the hard questions: can we do it with the cars we have, and can we afford the investment? the investment was the cost of birth + the cost of car seats + the future cost of education. When you think about it, the cost of the car seats was insignificant compared to any other cost incurred on behalf of a child. But it's amazing to me that the people (not here) who complain the loudest about car seat prices are the ones with more than 3 kids. I used to work in a children's resale shop, and believe me, I heard it all the time. {I'll also note that we have 2 seats in one car and 3 seats in the other. We chose to only carry the new baby in the newer car, so we didn't buy 2 infant seats. We purposely bought 2 Radians last summer with the intention of using one of them as a convertible.}

I don't want to change this topic too much, but I had to say that.
--janis

Angela: it's not just a hindrance to homeschool - could you imagine trying to get your kids to public school without a car? it might be ok where *I* live since the school is 4 blocks away, but you can't carpool without a car, and I rarely see school busses! I sure don't know how most parents would do it unless they have a car. (but this is just supposition, since we homeschool)

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
Old 02-24-2009, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

IMHO, I think the main theme from this whole discussion is that we should all really stop and think about how our day to day decisions as parents are affecting our children. FAR TOO FEW parents do this (myself included). I personally have put more thought into my decisions since coming to MDC than I did before. I don't care whether the issue at hand is carseats or no-vaxing or homeschooling or whatever. Are you SURE you can't afford certain things or are you CHOOSING not to afford them. To be sure there are families who truly can not afford high-end carseats or organic foods, etc. But, life is all about choices and when it comes to your children you better be sure you have their best interests at heart and try your best to provide what is best. You may not be able to do everything but at least you can have peace knowing that you tried.

FWIW...I most on this board take this task very seriously.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:27 PM

DS receives SSI. Then of course, there's always tax returns.

Carly [29] + DH [27] + DS [9]

TTC my second and his first!

Old 02-24-2009, 09:02 PM

We have 2 Marathons (1 I bought from a tech friend, one bought for $60 during the freak Target sale), 1 Nautilus (paid full price for), an EFTA (paid full price), and a True Fit (was a return at Target, on sale for $125 vs the normal $200 that they are here). We made $9000 last year. Car seats are a necessity and unfortunately DD1 is too tall for all of the "conventional" (i.e. cheap and available at Walmart) seats, so she needs the spendier seats.

CPST & mom

Old 02-24-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironica View Post
I did acknowledge that. Readily. And people may have very good reasons for choosing to live in those places, including having family available, liking their jobs, or having grown up there. Those are all fine reasons for choosing to live in a place.

But, if it's a place where you need a car, you chose to need a car, too. That is *part* of the choice. Just because you can't see yourself making a different choice doesn't mean you didn't make a choice.
Eh- I don't really buy that. Dh and I both grew up here and have ALL our family here. Moving elsewhere- far enough to make it to a place we wouldn't need a car- would FAR outspend a car-cost on travel to see family. Never mind moving costs....

I really think that's a false "choice"

-Angela

User Tag List