carseat on a plane - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 03-03-2009, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't understand why you are taling the acarseat on the plane. We flew to Italy when dd was 9 months. No one with ids had a carseat onteh plane. The hostess gave us a seatbelt that attached to mine and she sat on my lap during take off and landing. When we fly this yera, she will have to have a seat due to her age, but we are not bringing a carseat with us.

Mamma to dd1 3/8/07, one 9.5.08, and dd2 9/9/09
#32 of 44 Old 03-03-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellabaz View Post
I don't understand why you are taling the acarseat on the plane. We flew to Italy when dd was 9 months. No one with ids had a carseat onteh plane. The hostess gave us a seatbelt that attached to mine and she sat on my lap during take off and landing. When we fly this yera, she will have to have a seat due to her age, but we are not bringing a carseat with us.

My dd would NEVER let me hold her on my lap for even an hour, but she is happy and comfortable in her car seat.

+ = and .
#33 of 44 Old 03-03-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellabaz View Post
The hostess gave us a seatbelt that attached to mine and she sat on my lap during take off and landing.
Domestic flights don't have those.

CPST & mom

#34 of 44 Old 03-03-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
Domestic flights don't have those.
Anyone know why not?
#35 of 44 Old 03-03-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lajn View Post
Anyone know why not?
I don't know but it's the American airlines that often don't have them and it pisses me off.

Quote:
I don't understand why you are taling the acarseat on the plane.
The same reason you have a car seat in the car.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#36 of 44 Old 03-03-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdnaMarie View Post

The same reason you have a car seat in the car.
That's not what I understand. most people sy its for their child's comfort.
Air travel is MUCH safer than a car. If you were is a fiery crash, a car seat is not going to do anything for you. Vs a car, where it may help.
#37 of 44 Old 03-03-2009, 08:41 PM

Sorry< i did't know domestic flights don't offer the child restraint. My dd would never let me hold her for an hour, but once we were up we had a bulkhead seat and she could play in front of us. Once the seatbelt light goes off I take mine off too.

I guess I kind of felt like vbactist. If something goes wrong on the plane, chances are a car seat isn't gonna do much for ya. I get it if your kid is more comfy though. I just figured it was more of hassle dragging the thing around since my dd wanted to wander around the plane and what not. But an 8 hour flight is also much different than an hour flight.

Mamma to dd1 3/8/07, one 9.5.08, and dd2 9/9/09
#38 of 44 Old 03-04-2009, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
That's not what I understand. most people sy its for their child's comfort.
Air travel is MUCH safer than a car. If you were is a fiery crash, a car seat is not going to do anything for you. Vs a car, where it may help.
A carseat is not going to help in a head-on with a logging truck OR a nose-dive into a major metropolitan area. It WILL help in a fender-bender, a crash landing, a water landing, or during turbulence.

Obviously it's not going to save you from a fireball but it wouldn't in a car, either.

Quote:
If something goes wrong on the plane, chances are a car seat isn't gonna do much for ya.
This is just not true. What about the water landing in the Hudson when there were sudden drops and jolts and it would have been really hard to hold on to a baby, BUT in which everyone got out alive? Honestly, most plane troubles do not lead to flaming dives. That is one reason it is safer than driving.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#39 of 44 Old 03-04-2009, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lajn View Post
Anyone know why not?
Because in FAA tests, use of the belly belts caused greater injuries than holding in-arms alone.
#40 of 44 Old 03-04-2009, 12:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
This is just not true. What about the water landing in the Hudson when there were sudden drops and jolts and it would have been really hard to hold on to a baby, BUT in which everyone got out alive? Honestly, most plane troubles do not lead to flaming dives. That is one reason it is safer than driving.
In one of the articles I read on that there was a mom with 2 kids (one an infant flying). Another man offered to hold the baby for her so she could help the other child (who had a seat). The baby survived uninjured. So babes in arms can survive crashes. Now, if the crash had been into the ground, not a river, a lot of people would have died, and who knows if that would have changed the outcome for the infant or not.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#41 of 44 Old 03-04-2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:
A carseat is not going to help in a head-on with a logging truck OR a nose-dive into a major metropolitan area. It WILL help in a fender-bender, a crash landing, a water landing, or during turbulence.

Obviously it's not going to save you from a fireball but it wouldn't in a car, either.

The baby in the hudson crash WAS a lap child....
#42 of 44 Old 03-04-2009, 01:01 AM

I hadn't heard that, but that's not to say that the baby would not have suffered less had he / she been in a restraint. I just think that this whole notion that if you're in a plane crash, it's easy sailing or flaming ball, is one that we need to let go of. There ARE times when carseats can hold a baby in place better than a parent. If there weren't, they would not be useful in cars, either. There have been studies done and they have been shown to be safer but they are not required only because this was considered to deter people from flying!

#43 of 44 Old 03-04-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
I hadn't heard that, but that's not to say that the baby would not have suffered less had he / she been in a restraint. I just think that this whole notion that if you're in a plane crash, it's easy sailing or flaming ball, is one that we need to let go of. There ARE times when carseats can hold a baby in place better than a parent. If there weren't, they would not be useful in cars, either. There have been studies done and they have been shown to be safer but they are not required only because this was considered to deter people from flying!
Car accidents are number one killer of children above the age of one, plane accidents kill 0 children each year. SO comparing cars and airplanes is apples and oranges.

Mommy to our Twin Miracles babygirl.gifbabyboy.gif born on 29/1/12

#44 of 44 Old 03-04-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Louise* View Post
Car accidents are number one killer of children above the age of one, plane accidents kill 0 children each year. SO comparing cars and airplanes is apples and oranges.
Er, an average of zero children each year. That is not to say no children are ever killed in plane crashes. Comparing figures this way- not incidence of death per hours in planes or cars, vs. number of deaths, does not make sense, statistically speaking, because children spend so many more hours in cars.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page