Mothering Forum banner

carseat on a plane

2K views 43 replies 18 participants last post by  EdnaMarie 
#1 ·
so dd is 36lbs and her marathon RFs to 33. We're flying this weekend, and FFing puts the seat soo close to the seat in front of us, and I think in the past, she kicked the seat in front of her like crazy if I didn't really stay on top of her with holding those wiggly little legs down! The temptation is just irresistible. Is it okay to install her rear facing on the plane if kicking is a problem?

#30 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post
so dd is 36lbs and her marathon RFs to 33. We're flying this weekend, and FFing puts the seat soo close to the seat in front of us, and I think in the past, she kicked the seat in front of her like crazy if I didn't really stay on top of her with holding those wiggly little legs down! The temptation is just irresistible. Is it okay to install her rear facing on the plane if kicking is a problem?
I had the same problem. I begged for a bulkhead seat for this reason and arrived very early to check-in to assure that. And no, the carseat did not fit well rear-facing and the other person could not lean back. We tried it once. Alternatively you could bring a seat cover, like a scuff cover, for the seat in front of you, for her to aim at, hoping that would reduce pressure on the seat if it (the seat scuff cover) is loosely installed. you know? Like, feet kick the scuff cover, but do not quite reach the seat, but baby is satisfied knowing she is kicking the scuff cover?

As someone who flies frequently, or at least, used to until the last six months, I have never heard a baby or toddler screaming during takeoff or landing. It usually happened at a different time. I think that is just a myth and I would not be concerned. You could always use a binky or chew toy at that time to help.

A carseat with a five-point harness is the safest place and good for you for buying the seat.

Even for a child that doesn't like the seat, at least to be in there for takeoff and landing is ideal. Then the child can sit on the lap or whatever.

#31 ·
I don't understand why you are taling the acarseat on the plane. We flew to Italy when dd was 9 months. No one with ids had a carseat onteh plane. The hostess gave us a seatbelt that attached to mine and she sat on my lap during take off and landing. When we fly this yera, she will have to have a seat due to her age, but we are not bringing a carseat with us.

#32 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bellabaz View Post
I don't understand why you are taling the acarseat on the plane. We flew to Italy when dd was 9 months. No one with ids had a carseat onteh plane. The hostess gave us a seatbelt that attached to mine and she sat on my lap during take off and landing. When we fly this yera, she will have to have a seat due to her age, but we are not bringing a carseat with us.

My dd would NEVER let me hold her on my lap for even an hour, but she is happy and comfortable in her car seat.

#35 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lajn View Post
Anyone know why not?
I don't know but it's the American airlines that often don't have them and it pisses me off.

Quote:
I don't understand why you are taling the acarseat on the plane.
The same reason you have a car seat in the car.

#36 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdnaMarie View Post

The same reason you have a car seat in the car.
That's not what I understand. most people sy its for their child's comfort.
Air travel is MUCH safer than a car. If you were is a fiery crash, a car seat is not going to do anything for you. Vs a car, where it may help.

#37 ·
Sorry< i did't know domestic flights don't offer the child restraint. My dd would never let me hold her for an hour, but once we were up we had a bulkhead seat and she could play in front of us. Once the seatbelt light goes off I take mine off too.

I guess I kind of felt like vbactist. If something goes wrong on the plane, chances are a car seat isn't gonna do much for ya. I get it if your kid is more comfy though. I just figured it was more of hassle dragging the thing around since my dd wanted to wander around the plane and what not. But an 8 hour flight is also much different than an hour flight.

#38 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
That's not what I understand. most people sy its for their child's comfort.
Air travel is MUCH safer than a car. If you were is a fiery crash, a car seat is not going to do anything for you. Vs a car, where it may help.
A carseat is not going to help in a head-on with a logging truck OR a nose-dive into a major metropolitan area. It WILL help in a fender-bender, a crash landing, a water landing, or during turbulence.

Obviously it's not going to save you from a fireball but it wouldn't in a car, either.

Quote:
If something goes wrong on the plane, chances are a car seat isn't gonna do much for ya.
This is just not true. What about the water landing in the Hudson when there were sudden drops and jolts and it would have been really hard to hold on to a baby, BUT in which everyone got out alive? Honestly, most plane troubles do not lead to flaming dives. That is one reason it is safer than driving.

#40 ·
Quote:

This is just not true. What about the water landing in the Hudson when there were sudden drops and jolts and it would have been really hard to hold on to a baby, BUT in which everyone got out alive? Honestly, most plane troubles do not lead to flaming dives. That is one reason it is safer than driving.
In one of the articles I read on that there was a mom with 2 kids (one an infant flying). Another man offered to hold the baby for her so she could help the other child (who had a seat). The baby survived uninjured. So babes in arms can survive crashes. Now, if the crash had been into the ground, not a river, a lot of people would have died, and who knows if that would have changed the outcome for the infant or not.

#41 ·
Quote:

A carseat is not going to help in a head-on with a logging truck OR a nose-dive into a major metropolitan area. It WILL help in a fender-bender, a crash landing, a water landing, or during turbulence.

Obviously it's not going to save you from a fireball but it wouldn't in a car, either.

The baby in the hudson crash WAS a lap child....

#42 ·
I hadn't heard that, but that's not to say that the baby would not have suffered less had he / she been in a restraint. I just think that this whole notion that if you're in a plane crash, it's easy sailing or flaming ball, is one that we need to let go of. There ARE times when carseats can hold a baby in place better than a parent. If there weren't, they would not be useful in cars, either. There have been studies done and they have been shown to be safer but they are not required only because this was considered to deter people from flying!

#43 ·
Quote:

I hadn't heard that, but that's not to say that the baby would not have suffered less had he / she been in a restraint. I just think that this whole notion that if you're in a plane crash, it's easy sailing or flaming ball, is one that we need to let go of. There ARE times when carseats can hold a baby in place better than a parent. If there weren't, they would not be useful in cars, either. There have been studies done and they have been shown to be safer but they are not required only because this was considered to deter people from flying!
Car accidents are number one killer of children above the age of one, plane accidents kill 0 children each year. SO comparing cars and airplanes is apples and oranges.

#44 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by *Louise* View Post
Car accidents are number one killer of children above the age of one, plane accidents kill 0 children each year. SO comparing cars and airplanes is apples and oranges.
Er, an average of zero children each year. That is not to say no children are ever killed in plane crashes. Comparing figures this way- not incidence of death per hours in planes or cars, vs. number of deaths, does not make sense, statistically speaking, because children spend so many more hours in cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.