Breastfeeding while driving - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#61 of 91 Old 02-28-2009, 11:39 PM
 
vbactivist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajama View Post
No. But it should be illegal to drive whilst nursing.

Just what we need - more government interference. Let people use their own judgement. Just like we expect in matters relating to birth and medical care.
vbactivist is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#62 of 91 Old 02-28-2009, 11:41 PM
 
mamajama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,985
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
One is not in an accident EVERY time one drives. That is my point. And actually, there are lots of things that are distracting to a driver. Why is making all of those things illegal "dumb"??? The laws should be something like "unable to drive safely", then there wouldn't need to be a law for "every single thing". If soemone is eating, talking on the phone or breastfeeding, while still able to drive safely, then they should be left alone.
The reason laws become more specific is that it saves a lot of court time. That's why we have such things as specific speed limits and fines which vary in amount according to the severity of the infraction. Statistics show that there are certain specific speeds at which one can navigate safely. This law applies to all...from nascar racers to 45 yr old business people.
mamajama is offline  
#63 of 91 Old 02-28-2009, 11:42 PM
 
mamajama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,985
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
Just what we need - more government interference. Let people use their own judgement. Just like we expect in matters relating to birth and medical care.
I, for one, am pretty glad there are traffic laws in existence.
mamajama is offline  
#64 of 91 Old 02-28-2009, 11:46 PM
 
vbactivist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaidmama View Post
If I am on my way to the pharmacy for my meds and the baby starts crying for a nursing........I'D PULL THE CAR OVER AND NURSE. IT IS THAT EASY. And yet.....some people are to lazy and would rather put their child (and other drivers) at risk. And yes, we do things all the time that are risky. BUT that is no reason to take up it up a notch, not when it involves others lives. Seriously, give me a break.
And I am telling you, I have had babies that scream EVERY time they were in the car. Whether they had just been fed/changed/rocked etc. The minute they were put back in the carseat, they screamed. I was lucky enough to have a husband and a mother around to chauffuer me most days. But, as I stated above with my daughter, if I didn't have them and I HAD to go somewhere, like the doctors, I could not let her cry. It was actually physically bad for her. Thankfully I had other options. Not everyone does. And I say if one can get from point a to point b safely then it's noone else's business how they do it.
vbactivist is offline  
#65 of 91 Old 02-28-2009, 11:49 PM
 
claddaghmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
One is not in an accident EVERY time one drives. That is my point. And actually, there are lots of things that are distracting to a driver. Why is making all of those things illegal "dumb"??? The laws should be something like "unable to drive safely", then there wouldn't need to be a law for "every single thing". If soemone is eating, talking on the phone or breastfeeding, while still able to drive safely, then they should be left alone.
Alright, I have to say that such a law would seem to solve things. I couldn't help feeling this way when cellphones were being outlawed...heck I drive with a cellphone more safely than tons of other people who aren't using cells...I've seen people undressing and dressing, eating, drawing/writing, reading, craning their head to change the channel/watch the screen in the minivan, etc. But supposedly cells are bad and should be outlawed.

It should be all or nothing.

And just think if it was nothing...Darwinism at its best!

Mama to expecting Babe 2
claddaghmom is offline  
#66 of 91 Old 02-28-2009, 11:50 PM
 
mamajama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,985
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
And I am telling you, I have had babies that scream EVERY time they were in the car. Whether they had just been fed/changed/rocked etc. The minute they were put back in the carseat, they screamed. I was lucky enough to have a husband and a mother around to chauffuer me most days. But, as I stated above with my daughter, if I didn't have them and I HAD to go somewhere, like the doctors, I could not let her cry. It was actually physically bad for her. Thankfully I had other options. Not everyone does. And I say if one can get from point a to point b safely then it's noone else's business how they do it.
: "Safely"= the rub. It just isn't safe to drive, talk on the phone, and nurse a baby all at the same time.
mamajama is offline  
#67 of 91 Old 02-28-2009, 11:58 PM
 
carlylovesthesims2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: tasmania australia
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
its not about you vbactivist its about everybody on the road you never know when someone will suddenly pull out in front of you or have a heart attack anything breatfeeding a toddler in the lowest prority in a car IMO a car is a dangerous weapon the biggest cause of accidents here is teenagers bending down to pick up their cds or cellphones
carlylovesthesims2 is offline  
#68 of 91 Old 03-01-2009, 12:22 AM
 
vbactivist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajama View Post
: "Safely"= the rub. It just isn't safe to drive, talk on the phone, and nurse a baby all at the same time.

if someone gets to their destination without an accident, then I would say it IS safe, for that person.
vbactivist is offline  
#69 of 91 Old 03-01-2009, 12:34 AM
 
carlylovesthesims2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: tasmania australia
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
if someone gets to their destination without an accident, then I would say it IS safe, for that person.
but if she doesnt and she crashes and kills her baby or another person or child thats called murder
carlylovesthesims2 is offline  
#70 of 91 Old 03-01-2009, 12:35 AM
 
ginadc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
if someone gets to their destination without an accident, then I would say it IS safe, for that person.
So driving drunk is safe? Because I'm sure there are a lot of drunk drivers out there who haven't yet gotten into an accident and injured or killed someone. So it must be safe "for that person" -- right?

Writer, breast cancer survivor, wife to Evan, Mommy to Annika (infant open adoption 2/3/06), Adrian (homegrown 3/11/08), and #3 due 6/17/10!
ginadc is offline  
#71 of 91 Old 03-01-2009, 12:36 AM
 
Katzchen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
if someone gets to their destination without an accident, then I would say it IS safe, for that person.
By that logic it would mean that playing Russian roulette is safe so long as no one gets hurt. I fail to understand how ignoring the possibility of harm can make something safe.
Katzchen is offline  
#72 of 91 Old 03-01-2009, 12:37 AM
 
Daphneduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
if someone gets to their destination without an accident, then I would say it IS safe, for that person.
Really? Last weekend my dh and I woke up at 2am to our neighbor, who lives across the street, trying to unlock our front door. Turns out that he was drunk and had driven 12 miles to get home, so drunk that he couldnt even recognize that he was trying to get into the wrong house. Was it safe, just because he made it here without killing anyone?
I am just shocked that there is a person on the face of the Earth that could in any way defend this. I hope that woman goes to jail for 180 days and I hope that she isnt so stupid to actually do it again.
Daphneduck is offline  
#73 of 91 Old 03-03-2009, 02:39 PM
 
DevaMajka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Burnaby, BC
Posts: 10,344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! I have removed several posts that were in violation of the UA. Please realize that further User Agreement violations will result in the thread's permanent removal or closure. In an effort to keep the thread accessible, please be cautious when you post and PM me with any questions or concerns.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)
 

DevaMajka is offline  
#74 of 91 Old 03-03-2009, 04:41 PM
 
kalimay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"Children unbuckled in cars is a known danger to their health."

I just wanted to point out that the same could be said for children who are riding buckled in cars. Cars are dangerous.
kalimay is offline  
#75 of 91 Old 03-03-2009, 05:21 PM
 
mommy2maya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: SE PA
Posts: 1,314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimay View Post
"Children unbuckled in cars is a known danger to their health."

I just wanted to point out that the same could be said for children who are riding buckled in cars. Cars are dangerous.
yes, cars are potentially dangerous. Riding in carseats is known to reduce the risks associated with car accidents.
mommy2maya is offline  
#76 of 91 Old 03-03-2009, 05:29 PM
 
goodheartedmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 1,712
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm glad she's being punished, but I don't think it's harsh enough, honestly. It's time that people start learning that it is wrong to do things like this. When my 2 year old was little, we lived about 30 minutes from my parents and I had to pull over at least once to nurse her every time. It sucked, and there have been many times where I thought it would be nice if it was safe to hold and nurse my baby while driving, but it's NOT! Not obeying even the child safety laws that our gov't has laid out for us is child endangerment. I won't hold people to the ERF/ extended harnessing because it's not as well-known, but how do you not know it's wrong to remove your child from their carseat in a moving vehicle? Maybe if punishments got a little harsher, people would be a little more cautious. Or maybe not, but there has to be a punishment for endangering the life of a minor in such a precarious way. I'm all for GD, but that's for my child, not the gov't.
goodheartedmama is offline  
#77 of 91 Old 03-03-2009, 05:42 PM
 
goodheartedmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 1,712
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
abi I'm glad you're here

My point was more that sometimesyou NEED to get somewhere and still comfort your baby. This woman sounded like she could have made a diffeerent choice. I just dont' want my choices legislated away. Like I said, I nursed my daughter many times in the back of the car when my husband or mom was driving. If I needed to go pick up a prescription, ie insulin or something and I didn't have anyone to turn to for help and i had to take my daughter to the store with me, I may consider driving and nursing her (before her repair and if she were hysterical). I'm just saying I wouldn't want to be ticketed or whatever for making that choice, ESPECIALLY if no harm came from that choice.
So basically what you're saying is that it's no biggie until the kid dies? It would be much cooler to just prevent it.
goodheartedmama is offline  
#78 of 91 Old 03-03-2009, 05:44 PM
 
vbactivist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzchen View Post
By that logic it would mean that playing Russian roulette is safe so long as no one gets hurt. I fail to understand how ignoring the possibility of harm can make something safe.
People ignore the possibilty of harm EVERY time they get into a motor vehicle, car seat or not. Cars are dangerous. Screaming babies can be too.
vbactivist is offline  
#79 of 91 Old 03-03-2009, 05:45 PM
 
vbactivist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphneduck View Post
Really? Last weekend my dh and I woke up at 2am to our neighbor, who lives across the street, trying to unlock our front door. Turns out that he was drunk and had driven 12 miles to get home, so drunk that he couldnt even recognize that he was trying to get into the wrong house. Was it safe, just because he made it here without killing anyone?
I am just shocked that there is a person on the face of the Earth that could in any way defend this. I hope that woman goes to jail for 180 days and I hope that she isnt so stupid to actually do it again.
I really hope she doesn't face jailtime. Yes, she made a (probably) bad choice. But noone was harmed. So does she really need to be sepearted from her children for 9 months??
vbactivist is offline  
#80 of 91 Old 03-03-2009, 05:47 PM
 
vbactivist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheartedmama View Post
So basically what you're saying is that it's no biggie until the kid dies? It would be much cooler to just prevent it.
No. What I'm saying is I don't want the govenment micromanaging my life or my parenting. Should homebirth be illegal because a baby might die being born at home?

My point is, we all make choices concerning our children that not everyone would agree with. I just want to be free to make those choices for myself. I don't care what other people do.
vbactivist is offline  
#81 of 91 Old 03-03-2009, 05:48 PM
 
vbactivist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2maya View Post
yes, cars are potentially dangerous. Riding in carseats is known to reduce the risks associated with car accidents.

And not riding in cars is know to reduce car accidents. Should the government outlaw auotmobile travel, because it's dangerous?

Why is one choice okay and not the other? I just don't want anyoen elsxe making my choices for me. Everyone has to weigh the ricks versus the benefits for themselves. Driving versus walking, living versus staying holed up in your house....
vbactivist is offline  
#82 of 91 Old 03-03-2009, 05:51 PM
 
vbactivist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheartedmama View Post
I'm glad she's being punished, but I don't think it's harsh enough, honestly. It's time that people start learning that it is wrong to do things like this. When my 2 year old was little, we lived about 30 minutes from my parents and I had to pull over at least once to nurse her every time. It sucked, and there have been many times where I thought it would be nice if it was safe to hold and nurse my baby while driving, but it's NOT! Not obeying even the child safety laws that our gov't has laid out for us is child endangerment. I won't hold people to the ERF/ extended harnessing because it's not as well-known, but how do you not know it's wrong to remove your child from their carseat in a moving vehicle? Maybe if punishments got a little harsher, people would be a little more cautious. Or maybe not, but there has to be a punishment for endangering the life of a minor in such a precarious way. I'm all for GD, but that's for my child, not the gov't.
some people consider not vaxxing/homebirthing/vbacing to be endangering the life of a child. Should the government outlaw all of that?
vbactivist is offline  
#83 of 91 Old 03-03-2009, 05:51 PM
 
mommy2maya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: SE PA
Posts: 1,314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
I really hope she doesn't face jailtime. Yes, she made a (probably) bad choice. But noone was harmed. So does she really need to be sepearted from her children for 9 months??
Would you feel different if the offense was 'drinking and driving' instead of 'breastfeeding and driving'?
mommy2maya is offline  
#84 of 91 Old 03-03-2009, 05:53 PM
 
vbactivist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2maya View Post
Would you feel different if the offense was 'drinking and driving' instead of 'breastfeeding and driving'?
Probably - because that has nothing to do with comforting a baby.
vbactivist is offline  
#85 of 91 Old 03-03-2009, 07:25 PM
 
sillygrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Eh, ya know what? It's dangerous to walk down a street with a kid. I choose to wear my toddler down a busy street to help reduce that danger. When the tornado sirens go off, I choose to take my kids to the safest place in my house. In the car, I choose to buckle my kids in their carseats and I choose to wear a seatbelt because if I am in an accident, that's the safest place for them to be. I've never been in a wreck, but unfortunately, I can't predict when and if I'll ever be in one, and chances are, I'll likely be in at least one. I also don't know if my kids will be in the vehicle with me or not, but because I don't know if that will happen today or next year, I have decided to take precautions. A child's head on the steering wheel is not safe. I shudder to think what would happen if the airbag went off.

Bottom line, nursing or not, there are child restraint laws. I'd feel the same if the child was nursing or if the child was sitting unrestrained in the front seat. I think the nursing is just an excuse and I don't buy it. I and the majority of other breastfeeding moms I know somehow figured it out.
sillygrl is offline  
#86 of 91 Old 03-03-2009, 07:58 PM
 
JamesMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Is a PROUD Iowan (finally...)
Posts: 7,962
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
if someone gets to their destination without an accident, then I would say it IS safe, for that person.
I've know a bunch of people who have driven WELL over the legal BAL...they'll flat out admit they were completely drunk. Not buzzed but sloppy drunk. And they drove from Point A to Point B on more than one occasion without hurting anyone or themselves, does that mean that my friends should get a 'license' to drive drunk?

Out of all the people I've known to drive drunk only my cousin killed someone...and it was NOT his first time driving drunk, in fact it was probably his 50th time driving drunk. And the night he killed someone his BAL was nearly half what it was when he got pulled over for DUI several years ago.

The fact that she didn't kill herself or her children THIS time only means that she got dang lucky. It has nothing to do with her driving abilities.

I had a baby who screamed every time he was put in his car seat. He once cried the whole way from the mall to our home, despite me pulling over every chance I could safely and nursing him to sleep. As soon as I was in the front seat he woke up and started crying. This whole stop, nurse, drive turned a 45 minute trip into a 3 hour ordeal.

She got dang lucky...

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
JamesMama is offline  
#87 of 91 Old 03-03-2009, 08:23 PM
 
Ackray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: The Sea
Posts: 2,964
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Darwinism at its best!
This topic made me think of the Darwin Awards as well. :

I have pumped while driving, but I can't imagine having a baby on my boob, between me and the airbag, while I gabbed on the phone. Was she smoking a cigarette too? I'm glad nothing tragic happened to this woman or her baby. If people don't have the common sense NOT to breastfeed while operating a motor vehicle, then there needs to be a law against it.
Ackray is offline  
#88 of 91 Old 03-03-2009, 08:43 PM
 
vbactivist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMama View Post
I've know a bunch of people who have driven WELL over the legal BOA...they'll flat out admit they were completely drunk. Not buzzed but sloppy drunk. And they drove from Point A to Point B on more than one occasion without hurting anyone or themselves, does that mean that my friends should get a 'license' to drive drunk?

Out of all the people I've known to drive drunk only my cousin killed someone...and it was NOT his first time driving drunk, in fact it was probably his 50th time driving drunk. And the night he killed someone his BOA was nearly half what it was when he got pulled over for DUI several years ago.

The fact that she didn't kill herself or her children THIS time only means that she got dang lucky. It has nothing to do with her driving abilities.

I had a baby who screamed every time he was put in his car seat. He once cried the whole way from the mall to our home, despite me pulling over every chance I could safely and nursing him to sleep. As soon as I was in the front seat he woke up and started crying. This whole stop, nurse, drive turned a 45 minute trip into a 3 hour ordeal.

She got dang lucky...
I'm not defending the woman in the op - I am saying I don't want the government micromanaging my parenting.
vbactivist is offline  
#89 of 91 Old 03-03-2009, 10:25 PM
 
betsyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 628
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm not defending the woman in the op - I am saying I don't want the government micromanaging my parenting.
I guess I am fuzzy on what exactly your point is then. You have spent six pages telling us the woman is free to make her own decision regarding nursing with her baby's head next to the steering wheel all in the name of not being micromanaged by the government.

So if you are not defending her choice to make such a decision what is it exactly you are defending?

Because if you are saying the government has no right to "micromanage" us in such decisions then this woman was fine making the decision to nurse while driving. Right?
betsyj is offline  
#90 of 91 Old 03-04-2009, 12:01 AM
 
*Karen*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 2,397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Part of parenting is time management. If she knew that her baby always nursed at that time, and that her other kids needed to get to school at that time, then she should have planned accordingly. This specific incident is not about emotional distress to the toddler, it is about time management. Either make time to nurse before you leave, leave earlier so you can stop to nurse, or pack a snack and nurse when you get there. Nursing while driving is never ever ever ever ok. Just because she didn't wreck this time doesn't mean she won't next time.

CPST and SAHM to DS (4/20/06) and DD (6/13/08)
*Karen* is offline  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off