Breastfeeding while driving - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 91 Old 03-04-2009, 12:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls181 View Post
FTR, it is now illegal in Michigan to remove a child from a car seat to nurse. When Gov Granholm signed the booster seat law last year, they also removed that article.
No, they did not. It was decided that it was not the right time to pursue both pieces of legislation. I hope that this woman's irresponsible decision will help move some action on this issue!

I STRONGLY disagree with any reference to the idea that the perceived danger of homebirthing, etc. is in anyway comparable to the REAL danger of driving with your child unrestrained in anyway, let alone when you are breastfeeding and driving.

Car crashes are the leading cause of death for everyone ages 1 to 44. 16 month old children do not have the ability to decide how to keep themselves safe. Mandatory child passenger safety laws help keep them safe when parents are unable, unwilling or uninformed of their responsibility to prevent their children from harm. The same data is not true with homebirths, or non-vaccination.

I can somewhat understand the argument about say, motorcycle helmet laws, being about choice. Because they are adults, making adult decisions. Children, who don't get to make choices about their safety, deserve to be protected by our laws. That is part of society, protecting those who can't protect themselves. Driving with unrestrained children, no matter what you are doing or where you are going, is child endangerment. Period.

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page