Breastfeeding while driving - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
First ... 2  3  4
Family Safety > Breastfeeding while driving
MacKinnon's Avatar MacKinnon 01:07 AM 03-04-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls181 View Post
FTR, it is now illegal in Michigan to remove a child from a car seat to nurse. When Gov Granholm signed the booster seat law last year, they also removed that article.
No, they did not. It was decided that it was not the right time to pursue both pieces of legislation. I hope that this woman's irresponsible decision will help move some action on this issue!

I STRONGLY disagree with any reference to the idea that the perceived danger of homebirthing, etc. is in anyway comparable to the REAL danger of driving with your child unrestrained in anyway, let alone when you are breastfeeding and driving.

Car crashes are the leading cause of death for everyone ages 1 to 44. 16 month old children do not have the ability to decide how to keep themselves safe. Mandatory child passenger safety laws help keep them safe when parents are unable, unwilling or uninformed of their responsibility to prevent their children from harm. The same data is not true with homebirths, or non-vaccination.

I can somewhat understand the argument about say, motorcycle helmet laws, being about choice. Because they are adults, making adult decisions. Children, who don't get to make choices about their safety, deserve to be protected by our laws. That is part of society, protecting those who can't protect themselves. Driving with unrestrained children, no matter what you are doing or where you are going, is child endangerment. Period.

First ... 2  3  4

Up