I need Help!!! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 03-12-2009, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My oldest escaped our house when he was 2. Dh and I were both home, and he still managed to get out unseen. It was terrifying. We lived in a neighborhood that had retention ponds, and ds loved going down to them with dh. So my immediate thought was that he had gone down to the water. I had visions of him drowning. When we went out to look for him, I spotted our dog, first. I knew that ds had to be nearby, and he was. He was on top of the foundation that had been laid for a house that was being built(our neighborhood was new and not yet "finished").

I still can't believe that ds didn't go down to the water. We got so lucky.

I bought doorknob covers and those were sufficient at keeping ds inside. He couldn't operate them(and neither could any other person that came to our house, incidently! ).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 42 Old 03-12-2009, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katerz2u View Post
Yep, we just went through this situation a few weeks ago with our 2 year old. We installed alarms on the door. They just stick with adhesive, were very inexpensive. I know how you feel mama, I was wrecked with guilt too.

As sad as the situation was/is; it makes me feel better to know that there are parents with 2 years old who have done the same thing or almost the same thing! This house is on lock down! lol
#33 of 42 Old 03-12-2009, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaJunkie View Post
My oldest escaped our house when he was 2. Dh and I were both home, and he still managed to get out unseen. It was terrifying. We lived in a neighborhood that had retention ponds, and ds loved going down to them with dh. So my immediate thought was that he had gone down to the water. I had visions of him drowning. When we went out to look for him, I spotted our dog, first. I knew that ds had to be nearby, and he was. He was on top of the foundation that had been laid for a house that was being built(our neighborhood was new and not yet "finished").

I still can't believe that ds didn't go down to the water. We got so lucky.

I bought doorknob covers and those were sufficient at keeping ds inside. He couldn't operate them(and neither could any other person that came to our house, incidently! ).

Those doorknob covers are a pain, when I worked at a day care; i've never used them before; so without reading the directions on how to use them; took awhile; well maybe 1 minute but definitely too frustrating for a toddle to keep trying to figure out.
#34 of 42 Old 03-12-2009, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellejar View Post
I have alarms on all my doors so if someone opens one I hear a loud BONG. It is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I am so sorry this happened to you. Now you know you have a wonderer, definately put a chain up high or something.
Thanks, we're heading out to menard's today to see what else we're going to get!
#35 of 42 Old 03-12-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueyou2 View Post
Thanks, we're heading out to menard's today to see what else we're going to get!
Try the dollar store. Seriously. That's where I get door alarms. DS has autism so we've been on "lockdown" for years. He started escaping around 2 years old and, at almost 5 1/2, still tries to escape. We have little alarms on all the doors (they have sticky backs so they aren't perm. installed). If the door is opened a loud alarm sounds (and doesn't turn off until the door is shut). We used to get the alarms at Walmart/Target but about 1 1/2 years ago we found them at the dollar store. We decided to try them and they work as well as the more expensive ones (the only difference is that the more expensive ones have a loud alarm option and a chime option. The dollar store ones only have the loud alarm option, which is what we needed anyway).

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#36 of 42 Old 03-12-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueyou2 View Post
I am way ahead of ya! With all the advice I got earlier on here; I got myself an alarm and thinking of some good locks to put on, something my fiance can open by himself because I really don't want to get up every night just to unlock it for him, ya know?

I appreciate everyone's advice and thoughtfulness, that was the most craziest time for me and I hope to never experience anything like that never again!
: I just have locks high up and door knob covers. There is no way ds can escape. I skipped the alarms because I did not want to wake people as well.

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
#37 of 42 Old 03-12-2009, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephandOwen View Post
Try the dollar store. Seriously. That's where I get door alarms. DS has autism so we've been on "lockdown" for years. He started escaping around 2 years old and, at almost 5 1/2, still tries to escape. We have little alarms on all the doors (they have sticky backs so they aren't perm. installed). If the door is opened a loud alarm sounds (and doesn't turn off until the door is shut). We used to get the alarms at Walmart/Target but about 1 1/2 years ago we found them at the dollar store. We decided to try them and they work as well as the more expensive ones (the only difference is that the more expensive ones have a loud alarm option and a chime option. The dollar store ones only have the loud alarm option, which is what we needed anyway).

Will definitely look there as well! Thanks for the advice. I never noticed alarms there before; I usually go there for basic need stuff; toilet paper, cleaning supplies etc.
#38 of 42 Old 03-12-2009, 02:56 PM

I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I feel awful after reading your post. I think it was just a accident and could have happened to anyone. I'm so happy he's okay! It will take some time, but the guilt will pass.

I know it's not the same thing, but I dropped my dd when she was 6 months old, while walking down the stairs. Long story, short - I tripped on a baby gate. Thank God her head landed on a baby wrap that was folded up on the side of the landing and she wasn't hurt. I felt very guilty too and the "what ifs" kept coming to mind. I hugged and held her so close that night thinking about how I was supposed to be the one who would always protect her and I didn't/couldn't. I also thought about how you always think things happen to other people, but that my baby was at risk, too. I have tears in my eyes as I write this. I'm just thankful she was okay.

I realized accidents happen and it is scary that we can't control everything. Also, if my instincts tell me something is unsafe or could be a problem (like that baby gate) then I need to be safe instead of sorry and do something about it. It's amazing how your life can change in the blink of an eye.

I think that moms do little things everyday that could be possible risks but 99 out of 100 times or less nothing happens. Unfortunately, there is still that 1% chance.

#39 of 42 Old 03-12-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maygee View Post
It can happen to ANYONE- tell me one mother who wasn't at some point distracted for two minutes of their child's life. My neighbor across the street was pulling her sweater over her head and her toddler unlatched the front gate and ran into the street- seriously 5 seconds, latched gate, anyone would feel completely safe doing that, but it just happens. I certainly have been more distracted than that and was only lucky that my little one didn't decide to make a break for it then. I can tell by your post that you aren't a bad mother. As far as people judging you by that snippet of your life- if they do, then they're wrong- they have no clue what it really means to have bad things happen to caring loving attentive moms, and feel the need to judge in order to make themselves certain that it couldn't happen to you. I am so so glad your little one is safe. Be gentle with yourself and know that you aren't a bad mom.
This is soooo true.
#40 of 42 Old 03-12-2009, 03:03 PM

I just posted about a similar situation.

It happens to the best of us.

Im so glad that everything was ok.

Dont beat yourself up about it! s

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#41 of 42 Old 03-12-2009, 03:25 PM

Oh mama, my heart is breaking for you just reading this. I can't imagine how terrified you were

You are not/were not a bad mother. EVERY ONE of us has those moments where we arent' on top of our game... and most of the time things are fine. Obviously you had a great scare and will make sure it doesn't happen again, but you can't beat yourself up over this. If you are still having trouble getting past this in a week or two, it probably wouldn't hurt to go talk to someone

Last week at a huge children's museum, which was very crowded, my 2 year old walked around a corner and I followed a few feet behind him. But when I turned the corner, he was gone. I looked in all directions, and it seemed like an ETERNITY before I spotted him behind some other children - only a few feet away. But those few seconds (probably less than 30 seconds) were absolutely terrifying and had me shaken up all day. So I can only imagine how I would feel going through what you did.

I'm SO glad you were able to find your DS unharmed. Try not to worry about what those people thought of you - they were only concerned for your son, as I'm sure any of us would be in their shoes.

So sorry this happened to you

Amanda , mama to my two boys: N (10/06) and : A (7/09)
#42 of 42 Old 03-12-2009, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipper26 View Post
I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I feel awful after reading your post. I think it was just a accident and could have happened to anyone. I'm so happy he's okay! It will take some time, but the guilt will pass.

I know it's not the same thing, but I dropped my dd when she was 6 months old, while walking down the stairs. Long story, short - I tripped on a baby gate. Thank God her head landed on a baby wrap that was folded up on the side of the landing and she wasn't hurt. I felt very guilty too and the "what ifs" kept coming to mind. I hugged and held her so close that night thinking about how I was supposed to be the one who would always protect her and I didn't/couldn't. I also thought about how you always think things happen to other people, but that my baby was at risk, too. I have tears in my eyes as I write this. I'm just thankful she was okay.

I realized accidents happen and it is scary that we can't control everything. Also, if my instincts tell me something is unsafe or could be a problem (like that baby gate) then I need to be safe instead of sorry and do something about it. It's amazing how your life can change in the blink of an eye.

I think that moms do little things everyday that could be possible risks but 99 out of 100 times or less nothing happens. Unfortunately, there is still that 1% chance.

You know what it was the same thing; because you felt the same way! I am also glad that your DD is fine! That had to be just as terrifying! We bought some locks today to go along with the alarm; the locks has some sort of key which is awesome! It's one of those chain locks; never seen one with a key before!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page