car seat bases - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-17-2009, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are car seat bases safer then not having one or is it just the convience of no having to unbuckle? just wondering as i didnt ever feel safe using them with ds it seem like it sat at a weird angle.

Kim: Wife To Colby. Mommy To DS1 Christopher and DS2 Bradly. :
#2 of 6 Old 03-17-2009, 10:47 PM

A properly installed base & a correct seatbelt install are equally safe. A base is installed & left alone (for the most part) so you only have to install it once for several uses. A seatbelt only install has to be done every time so it increases your chances of an improper install at some point. There are tricks for getting the right angle either way. Maybe you could find a Child Passenger Safety Technician in your area to help you figure out what works best in your situation. As a mom of a toddler & an infant, I found the base easier even though I don't carry him around in the seat often.
#3 of 6 Old 03-17-2009, 11:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
would never buy one or even use one again because of these crash test video's

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...1.story?page=1
#4 of 6 Old 03-17-2009, 11:01 PM

Giraffe is right that a properly installed base and a properly installed car seat are equally safe. However, in my experience, it is much more difficult to correctly install the seat every time, then it is to just correctly install the base once. When parents call me to make appointments and start with "it seems weird..." I usually respond, "if it seems wrong, it probably is." Our misuse rate is 88%, I would strongly recomend getting your seat checked!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#5 of 6 Old 03-17-2009, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

alright we will get it checked, We had a blazer and when we would lift ds seat to the base the seat had to be vertical at one point to lock down in the base. Didnt seem like it was safe.After getting his seat into the base all seemed fine. still have 4 months so i will definatly be looking into this.

Kim: Wife To Colby. Mommy To DS1 Christopher and DS2 Bradly. :
#6 of 6 Old 03-17-2009, 11:48 PM

I have a Blazer too. It's the 2dr model with only 2 back seats which can be a real pain sometimes with 2 kids in carseats. I've come up with a strategy for infant seats. I sit the seat in the base, lift the handle on the back that you use to release it so that it settles into where it is supposed to be, release that handle so it locks in & then check by lifting up a little to make sure it locked. That way there's no need for verticle manuvering. I hope that helps. In the past 2 years I've learned all kinds of tips & tricks with carseats. I've been through 7 models between 6 vehicles in 2yrs since relatives have seats for the boys too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page