Can you fix the mesh side of a Pack and Play? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 03-19-2009, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just bought a PNP from someone on Craigslist. And, no, I didn't look at it thoroughly... and while it is in otherwise good condition, on one of the mesh sides there is a hole in the mesh, about 1 1/2 inches long.

Now, I know I can't use it w/the hole. Do you think it's repairable? How would I do that? I'm so irritated w/myself, I should've insisted we open it all the way. So, while I'm kicking myself, I'm hoping there is some way I can still use it. My dh is going to kill me (figuratively speaking) if he finds out I dropped $ on this and we can't even use it.

If it can't be fixed, I hate the idea of just throwing it out. I'd rather repurpose it. Do you think I can donate it to like a animal rescue or something, to hold puppies/kittens or something like that?

Ok, TIA. I'm going to go kick myself some more. I'm horrible w/baby brain right now. Wish me luck!

Mom, wife, full-time student.  And tired.  DH, DS#1 (9/99) and DS#2 (9/09), and 2 dogs.

#2 of 18 Old 03-19-2009, 08:08 PM

Is it like, a HOLE hole? If so, could you, like, patch it? Like with needle and thread? If it's just a long rip could you apply something like nail polish to it and let it dry? That works for pantyhose, I have no idea if it would work for mesh...?
#3 of 18 Old 03-19-2009, 08:08 PM

Needle & thread.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#4 of 18 Old 03-19-2009, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I can try sewing it. I was just so shocked when I saw it... it's a hole, but there's no mesh "missing" that I can tell. I think I can approximate the edges and sew it.

Mom, wife, full-time student.  And tired.  DH, DS#1 (9/99) and DS#2 (9/09), and 2 dogs.

#5 of 18 Old 03-19-2009, 08:42 PM

Even if there's mesh missing, you could use a piece of fabric or other mesh-like material (hmmm...onion bag?) and stitch around it to patch it. Like you would do with a screen door if there was a hole in it.
#6 of 18 Old 03-19-2009, 09:11 PM

I've seen similar sport mesh at the fabric store. You could always buy a small amount to use as patching material.
#7 of 18 Old 03-19-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon, RN View Post
I just bought a PNP from someone on Craigslist. And, no, I didn't look at it thoroughly... and while it is in otherwise good condition, on one of the mesh sides there is a hole in the mesh, about 1 1/2 inches long.

Now, I know I can't use it w/the hole. Do you think it's repairable? How would I do that? I'm so irritated w/myself, I should've insisted we open it all the way. So, while I'm kicking myself, I'm hoping there is some way I can still use it. My dh is going to kill me (figuratively speaking) if he finds out I dropped $ on this and we can't even use it.

If it can't be fixed, I hate the idea of just throwing it out. I'd rather repurpose it. Do you think I can donate it to like a animal rescue or something, to hold puppies/kittens or something like that?

Ok, TIA. I'm going to go kick myself some more. I'm horrible w/baby brain right now. Wish me luck!

Maybe this will make you feel better. I bought a used crib - I saw the pic on line but it was in pieces when we got there - I didn't realize it was the crappy old style where you have to squeeze in both sides to lower the side.

Then I broke a piece putting it together and the manufacturer is no longer in business!!! So I couldn't get a replacement (I did know this when I bought it, but it;s the same company that made my son's crib and I thought we were buying a very similar crib - I have been very happy with his crib)

We ended up replacing ALL the hardware which was an ordeal to obtain and an ordeal to put on.

Don't kick yourself too hard, we all goof. You just learn to look closer next time.

You can nearly always ghetto rig a fix.

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
#8 of 18 Old 03-19-2009, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerDuck View Post
Maybe this will make you feel better. I bought a used crib - I saw the pic on line but it was in pieces when we got there - I didn't realize it was the crappy old style where you have to squeeze in both sides to lower the side.

Then I broke a piece putting it together and the manufacturer is no longer in business!!! So I couldn't get a replacement (I did know this when I bought it, but it;s the same company that made my son's crib and I thought we were buying a very similar crib - I have been very happy with his crib)

We ended up replacing ALL the hardware which was an ordeal to obtain and an ordeal to put on.

Don't kick yourself too hard, we all goof. You just learn to look closer next time.

You can nearly always ghetto rig a fix.
LOL I feel better about it now. Of course, I opened and set up both the PNP and the stroller I bought from her, and now I can't get either to fold back down!

I was telling my dh about it over the phone (the not being able to fold them down for storage) and he told me to "reverse engineer" them. LOL Only my dh would use that in a conversation about baby gear.

#9 of 18 Old 03-20-2009, 02:38 AM

Quote:
I was telling my dh about it over the phone (the not being able to fold them down for storage) and he told me to "reverse engineer" them. LOL Only my dh would use that in a conversation about baby gear.
Bah. That would only help if you were trying to manufacture NEW ones.
#10 of 18 Old 03-20-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
LOL I feel better about it now. Of course, I opened and set up both the PNP and the stroller I bought from her, and now I can't get either to fold back down!

The PnP ... lemme think. Set up - you need to snap the sides before you push down the bottom. Take down, you need to pull up the bottom before you unsnap the side. I *think*.

I know I would always get confused and try to snap the sides before pushing down the bottom and it would just keep wiggling and collapsing and I would keep swearing and screaming...

What kind of stroller is it?

I had the worst time with strollers when we were looking for a new stroller. Folding them is just not always intuitive... and I wanted to know how easy it was to fold/set up.

You'll get the hang of it.

nak DS S 4/1/11
#11 of 18 Old 03-20-2009, 06:25 PM

http://www.coverplayard.com/

I have one of these.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#12 of 18 Old 03-20-2009, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Maybe fishing line... it's strong and clear.
#13 of 18 Old 03-20-2009, 06:41 PM

Aside from looks, is there a reason to not just put a piece of tape over the hole?
#14 of 18 Old 03-20-2009, 08:58 PM

done it white thread sewen the next whole hole to the one below it matching it up best i can. done it over and over making sure it is well together and then pulled to make sure it is not going to rip.

setting up click up sides and then push bottom
taking down click down sides and pull bottom

rule is do one if it dont work go back to start and do it again lol if not set up right the sides wont click in to place.

what kind of stroller.....
#15 of 18 Old 03-20-2009, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
Aside from looks, is there a reason to not just put a piece of tape over the hole?
O my goodness, my ds recommended this tonight!

That may work... but, I have 3 dogs. The only reason I got this thing, really, was to have an emergency place to put the baby if I needed to deal w/a doggie issue or something right away. So, I'm really more worried about 1 of the dogs going after the tape. I think I'll try sewing it.

You guys have been so helpful! My ex-MIL can probably help me sew it up. I'll give that a shot first. If that doesn't work, maybe I'll try this: It came w/the bassinette thingie, so I'm thinking once the basinette is of no use (and, we co-sleep anyway, so that'll be pretty soon), I'll repurpose some of the mesh from the basinette (how the heck do you spell that??) and make it pretty. Then if I ever sell it/donate it, I'll just donate the play yard part.

Wow, this thread had been so helpful! I figured out how to fold the stroller, and I'll work on the PNP next. Thank all you all again!

#16 of 18 Old 03-20-2009, 09:24 PM

if you must have more mesh then needed. go to a fabric store they have mesh. this way u dont ruin one to fix another
#17 of 18 Old 03-21-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemizflava View Post
if you must have more mesh then needed. go to a fabric store they have mesh. this way u dont ruin one to fix another
Yeah you should be able to find something that will - ha ha - mesh well.

I am a dork.

Don't cut up the bassinet. Even though it's kinda useless it will make the whole package resell better, LOL.

nak DS S 4/1/11
#18 of 18 Old 03-29-2009, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to let you guys know that I was able to sew the little tear shut using heavy duty thread. It actually doesn't look that bad, and it's secure.

Thanks to all you ladies for your suggestions!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page