Is there a reasonable limit to RFing? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 03-23-2009, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post
FWIW, I've found that the Britax convertibles have the LEAST amount of leg room rfing. Which is kind of ironic since they are the cream of the crop when it comes to car seats. But my ds has loads more room in his radian.
Yeah, I wish we had know that when we shelled out the $$$ for two Marathons. We actually bought a True Fit when they first came out and were dirt cheap so that he could rear face a little longer but the adjuster strap is completely impossible to use when combined with the slope of my backseat, so it lives in DH's car (where it is a pain, but useable.)
#32 of 47 Old 03-23-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveMama View Post
She's RFing on the drivers side. Driver's side is safer than passenger side and we can't get a good install in the center. The back seat has a hump in the middle.
You could try moving her to the passenger side. The difference between the two sides is pretty much negligible especially compared to the difference between rf and ff.

-Angela
#33 of 47 Old 03-24-2009, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyKrista View Post
I'm halfway joking of course. It honestly sounds like you have your mind made up so go with it. If she is 3 or 4 and is tiny, that would be all the more reason to RF I would think. However, the biggest safety advantage in studies I've seen is up to two years old. Of course, RFing is still safer but not exponentially so like it is between 1-2 years.
My understanding is that the study that found this only looked at children up to two years old... so it's *unknown* what the difference is for children over 2. However, it is known that in other types of accidents, such as train derailments, with passengers facing both backward and forward, the rear-facing passengers (adults, mostly) have fewer and less severe injuries.

Quote:
She's RFing on the drivers side. Driver's side is safer than passenger side and we can't get a good install in the center.
More side-impact accidents hit the driver's side than passenger side. It's a small difference, but a difference. See the graphic about halfway down the page here: http://www.freewebs.com/sacredjourne...npreschool.htm In any event, PP was right; the difference is small.

Besides which, it's safer to load on the passenger side than the driver's side in many situations.

Quote:
What's mainly happened is that she's discovered how to "fling" things. So her empty snack trap gets flung into the front seat. And it's annoying to get pegged in the head while driving.
Uh. You think this will be *better* when she's FFing? ;-) When RFing, DS1 (who could pitch like a little leaguer at 9 months) would "fling" but we rarely got hit; things would bounce off the headrests or something. FFing, though, he'd usually aim for the radio, and things would bounce and hit us. This was slightly amusing, but mostly scary and dangerous to have things flung at us while driving. We had to pull over a few times before the rule about throwing while driving sunk in.
#34 of 47 Old 03-24-2009, 03:49 PM

I also have a tiny 3.5 year old that is still riding RF in our car. She is about 26 lb and 35", and in a Britax Decathlon. I also have the mirror on the headrest so we can see each other, and she likes having her soft baby doll ride facing her in front of her (which could not happen if she was FF). I hope to keep her RF till at least age 4, and see what she weighs then. Her seat goes to 33 lb, so that is the limit for her. If she is beyond 4, I don't see the point buying a new seat for 2 more lb.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#35 of 47 Old 03-24-2009, 05:58 PM

Lots of great replies I too was annoyed with the winter stuff, it's much easier now that it's spring, but now mud is the problem. I'm carrying DS to the car, as he fights getting his boots off (he loves his boots).

To me the reasonable limit would be when a child, over 2 and 30lbs, is frequently vocalizing their discomfort and/or pain, motion sickness, etc... I would not force a child who was truly uncomfortable (in pain, motion sick, etc.) to stay rear facing. I also won't weigh on the way out the door every day, so we'll turn once we get to 34lbs or so on an end of the day nakey weigh in (the like to get on the scale before bath time, add in a full belly and a wet diaper...). He's 31lbs right now, at 26 months but he is really short and all torso, his legs are no where near being an issue. I'm hoping we make it to 2 1/2 before he is too heavy.

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#36 of 47 Old 03-24-2009, 06:05 PM

DS is 3.5 and has been ff only for a couple of months now. He was getting close to the weight limit (33 lbs in his Marathon) so we turned him. He's still under 33 lbs, though - we could have left him rfing. At the rate that he's (not) gaining weight and as short as he is (still in 2T pants, with an occaisional 18-24 thrown in), he could probably be rearfacing at least until his 4th bday, expecially if we got a rfing to 35lb seat.

In any case, it never seemed weird to me, and I'm the only one who rearfaced that long that I know. Even most people who extended rearfaced that I know turned at around two or two and a half because their kids were so much bigger than ds (for example, dd hit 30 lbs at around 18 months. The seat she had at the time only rearfaced to 30, so that's when we turned her). DS was blissfully oblivious that there was any other way for him to sit (even though ds1 and dd were forward facing.)
#37 of 47 Old 03-24-2009, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Ack!

I'd forgotten about the mud. We still have snow on the ground and it's still below freezing.

Sometimes I'm really happy that I have a kid who will still be RFing for along time. Other times I wish she was a normal size and then I wouldn't have to worry about this.
#38 of 47 Old 03-24-2009, 06:15 PM

A "normal size" (ie 50th percentile) child won't hit 35lb until age 3.5. Even my large size (80th percentile) child may make it to 3. So most kids really should be RF still at 2.5....

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
#39 of 47 Old 03-24-2009, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

But for most kids there is an end in site. At 2.5 she's ~23/24 lbs. I can't really imagine (although I'm sure it will happen eventually) a time when she's 33lbs.

That 10lbs might take her another 2 or 3 years to gain given how she's grown so far. Maybe longer! My DH is short, so height won't be an issue. (She sat in my friends SafeSeat last week and she still fit the shell...)

Ultimately it is very likely that we will turn her around before she hits the limit of her seat. Probably because at some point it will become important to her.

But it's something I want to think about for along time before we do it so that we have an idea of the requirements for her, and the circumstances we would consider before turning the seat.
#40 of 47 Old 03-24-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGirls View Post
A "normal size" (ie 50th percentile) child won't hit 35lb until age 3.5. Even my large size (80th percentile) child may make it to 3. So most kids really should be RF still at 2.5....
That doesn't take height into account. My 18 mo dd is only 40th percentile for weight (and has been for almost a year now), but is 97th percentile for height. We only recently realized she's more torso than leg. She has another 2" or so in torso/head length before she's too tall for her Boulevard. I hope her legs will be what grow more in height but I do suspect she'll outgrow RF in her Blvd between 2 and 3, even though she may not hit 30 lbs by age 3.

I do understand where you're coming from, OP. I often find myself thinking, "Well, this this and that would be solved by turning her, wouldn't it be so much easier, etc etc" but then I make myself watch the crash test videos and I look at her slender little neck and body and realize there's no way I could turn her unless absolutely necessary. That said, if we did have another baby in the near future, I don't think we could fit two RF seats in our Aveo because of my tall, long-legged dh...but for now, I don't think that'll happen before dd outgrows RF by height (or before we get another vehicle, lol). I know it very often feels cut and dried here on MDC (RF is safer, that's that), but I do agree that sometimes there have to be other considerations (though what those considerations are and how important they are to a given family vary widely, obviously!).

Rachel, mama to Lucy, born 9.9.07, and Caroline, born 2.25.10!
#41 of 47 Old 03-24-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishyfishie View Post
I do understand where you're coming from, OP. I often find myself thinking, "Well, this this and that would be solved by turning her, wouldn't it be so much easier, etc etc" but then I make myself watch the crash test videos and I look at her slender little neck and body and realize there's no way I could turn her unless absolutely necessary....

I know it very often feels cut and dried here on MDC (RF is safer, that's that), but I do agree that sometimes there have to be other considerations (though what those considerations are and how important they are to a given family vary widely, obviously!).
I just wanted to thank you for this statement. It's so easy for things to look black and white in print, and you miss the nuances of real life. I'm a CPST Instructor and live and breathe this stuff all the time, but in real life, with a dirt driveway and a muddy, dirty little boy... Well, I'm ready to turn him around, frankly. And then I teach another class, or talk to another parent, or meet someone whose life was impacted by a crash, and I leave him RFing for another week, another month... But don't think that I don't shake my head sometimes and wish I didn't know better, wish I could justify turning him now...

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#42 of 47 Old 03-24-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemyavery View Post
But don't think that I don't shake my head sometimes and wish I didn't know better, wish I could justify turning him now...
Yes, exactly! Knowledge is a blessing but also a burden sometimes. My husband is on board with everything, but occasionally says, "Man, I wish we didn't know so much!" (About many things, not just RF/FF.) We're thankful that we do know those things to keep our dd as safe as possible, obviously, but at the same time...I sometimes can't stop thinking about that "ignorance is bliss" thing!

Rachel, mama to Lucy, born 9.9.07, and Caroline, born 2.25.10!
#43 of 47 Old 03-24-2009, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGirls View Post
My ds2 will probably fit in his radian by height at 2.5, but he's only 3 lbs below the weight limit and he's only 20 months. I REALLY doubt he'll make it to 2.5. My ds1 outgrew by height before weight in his Marathon. It really depends on the child and torso size.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#44 of 47 Old 03-24-2009, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishyfishie View Post
then I make myself watch the crash test videos and I look at her slender little neck and body and realize there's no way I could turn her unless absolutely necessary.

This is exactly why my tiny 32lb 42" 5 yr old is still rf. Also, as far as I know...no matter what...rf is always safer in frontal crashes...no matter what age. And there are statically more frontal crashes than rear....which is why rf is safer.

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#45 of 47 Old 03-25-2009, 04:12 AM

Quote:
But for most kids there is an end in site. At 2.5 she's ~23/24 lbs. I can't really imagine (although I'm sure it will happen eventually) a time when she's 33lbs.

That 10lbs might take her another 2 or 3 years to gain given how she's grown so far. Maybe longer! My DH is short, so height won't be an issue. (She sat in my friends SafeSeat last week and she still fit the shell...)

Ultimately it is very likely that we will turn her around before she hits the limit of her seat. Probably because at some point it will become important to her.

But it's something I want to think about for along time before we do it so that we have an idea of the requirements for her, and the circumstances we would consider before turning the seat.
DD did not hit 24 lb till age 3. Now at 3.5, she is about 26 lb. I figure at this rate, she could easily be 4.5-5 before she is close to the RF limits of her car seat. If she is still RF at 5, she may still be able to ride RF in kindergarten!

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#46 of 47 Old 03-26-2009, 02:23 PM

My DD was 16lbs at a year, 22lbs at 2 years, 30lbs at 3 years and then 35lbs at 3.5. Growth patterns can and often do change.
#47 of 47 Old 03-26-2009, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
"My sister has 3 carseats and a booster in her van. But they are all FFing. So everytime it would be nice to go somewhere all together I have to decide whether or not to hold firm and take 2 cars (or not go if I don't have the car) or bend and let DD ride FFing. If I'm OK with it for short trips (which I am now) then why not all the time?"

My almost-3-year-old is FFing in her Radian, and I don't lose any sleep over it. She HATED being RFing, deeply deeply loathed it. I was very lucky that the shape of the Radian got her off her intensive campaign to get out of harness entirely (which I'm pretty sure is not even legal, let alone safe).

That said, I think that it's totally consistent to maintain "best practices" in your own car, where the vast majority of the traveling takes place, but be willing to do a "good enough" solution for occasional trips so that a family can carpool. I have never made the grandparents buy the super-duper carseats that I buy. I do not pitch a hissy because my mother's old car doesn't have LATCH. For the amount of time they spend in those cars, good enough is good enough.

I feel like whatever you are doing in your family car should make you feel good when you think about it. If it doesn't (either because it's not safe enough for your tastes or because it's a huge hassle that makes car travel a misery), then something should be changed.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page