Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By ballerina85
  • 1 Post By chickabiddy

#1 of 11 Old 03-26-2009, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a Chicco Keyfit 30. How safe is it to use the seat without the base (threading the belt through the tracks) vs. using the base?

I assumed it should only be used that way in an emergency or something, but have seen a lot of reference to use without the base in case of travel, etc. We only have one base for ours, so I've been insisting on taking our truck anytime we go anywhere, sometimes to the point of taking two cars.

If it is equally safe to use the seat without the base, I'll be able to relax on that. If not, I'll stick with our current system. I just haven't been able to find any information on this.

Thanks in advance!
#2 of 11 Old 03-27-2009, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
It is equally safe if it is installed properly. If you're going to leave it in the car, then installing without the base is fine. If you're going to take it in and out and have to reinstall it every time then the chance of an improper installation goes up, kwim?

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#3 of 11 Old 03-27-2009, 01:31 AM

Not using the base on short trips is ok but they do recommend using the base. Hospital NICU we left from would not allow a girl to take her baby home because she did not have the base. But the seat could be used with or without one. Also you could buy a extra base. I had a Pregero and you could buy additional bases for $99. But I only had the one and like you I refused to use the car that didn't have the base in it. As mothers we tend to be very protective. It's not a fault so much as it is a blessing to your child that their Momma loves them THAT MUCH.
#4 of 11 Old 03-27-2009, 08:18 AM

There are seats that don't even have bases, the Graco Assuras that were given out here at the hospital don't have bases at all. Yes, your risk of installing it wrong does go up, but if you know how and do it right every time it's fine. I never take our base when we fly, it's too bulky. That's generally the only time I don't use the base, but one of my close friends never uses her base b/c it's easier to get to her 3rd row that way.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#5 of 11 Old 03-27-2009, 11:55 AM

I used my infant seats quite often without the base, and I am very comfortable with that. As long as you are installing it correctly every time, it is just as safe.

I even had a wreck with infant seat installed without the base. It preformed just like it was supposed to and kept baby safe.

Lynisha ~Car Seat Tech-Scrapbookin'-Cake Decorating-semi-crunchy wife & SAHM to 2 + one on the way in Nov~

#6 of 11 Old 03-28-2009, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It used to be safer for the seats to be used without the bases. I dread resolving this issue now as all seats come with bases and I am not sure what to do. I definitely only plan to buy one that canm be used without, but I am worried about the base issue. When bases first came out, there were many issues with seats breaking free from the bases. Plus, Consumer Reports did studies just a year or so ago where many of the seats broke free from the bases. I know those companies sued to repress that information, but I think those companies should have been more concerned with the seats breaking loose.
#7 of 11 Old 03-28-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlovesl View Post
Not using the base on short trips is ok but they do recommend using the base. Hospital NICU we left from would not allow a girl to take her baby home because she did not have the base. But the seat could be used with or without one. Also you could buy a extra base. I had a Pregero and you could buy additional bases for $99. But I only had the one and like you I refused to use the car that didn't have the base in it. As mothers we tend to be very protective. It's not a fault so much as it is a blessing to your child that their Momma loves them THAT MUCH.
For the record, that was illegal for the hospital to do. If she had a car seat that could be legitimately used without a base, then the hospital staff could have been charged with kidnapping if they refused to give her baby to her.
#8 of 11 Old 03-28-2009, 08:19 PM

as a mama without a car, but rides with others (sometimes),

we rarely use the base. I feel like the seat is safer without, provided that it is installed properly every time..

when it has been used, it's been because someone else grabbed it and set it up (both grandmas are carseat capable, but I still thoroughly check their work).

I would do whatever you feel comforable with, and possibly check with your local fire department if you are unsure of how to secure the carseat (with or without the base).

(sorry, no info on your individual seat..)

mischievous.gif
#9 of 11 Old 07-07-2014, 01:00 PM

A base is safer

As a emergency first responder who has seen extremely bad car wrecks involving infants a BASE IS 100% safer then just a seat. Anyone who says otherwise is just saying so because they have done it and want to feel it was ok.
#10 of 11 Old 07-08-2014, 12:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
http://csftl.org/installing-an-infan...hout-the-base/
It's just as safe. just make sure it's installed correctly every time
DahliaRW likes this.
#11 of 11 Old 07-08-2014, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernal77 View Post
As a emergency first responder who has seen extremely bad car wrecks involving infants a BASE IS 100% safer then just a seat. Anyone who says otherwise is just saying so because they have done it and want to feel it was ok.
This is not true. Infant seats must pass safety tests with and without bases. It's fine to use it without the base, as long as you can reliably install it each and every time.
DahliaRW likes this.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page