New AAP Guidelines: Keep RFing to age 2! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 68 Old 04-04-2009, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I agree that 2 OR 30 would be a great law. As long as it is also stipulated that the child who is 30 lbs ALSO has to be over a year old (just to cover the rare case). Of course, that means I could legally turn my 20 month old who is 30 lbs, but it's better than nothing.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#62 of 68 Old 04-05-2009, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugginhippie View Post
So is this an official guideline that the AAP has revised or just an article suggesting it? So would the new guideline be 2 yrs AND 20lbs?
Not the case with my skinny kids, but how many 2 year olds are beyond the 33 or 35 pound weight limit? I'm just curious how practical it is with what seats are on the market now. It would probably make more sense to say 2 years OR 33 lbs. I think it's unlikely a kid would outgrow seats by height before 2, and if they hit the 33 lbs mark they n eed to be turned (unless it's one of the 35 lb seats of course).

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#63 of 68 Old 04-05-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelEve14 View Post
Not the case with my skinny kids, but how many 2 year olds are beyond the 33 or 35 pound weight limit? I'm just curious how practical it is with what seats are on the market now. It would probably make more sense to say 2 years OR 33 lbs. I think it's unlikely a kid would outgrow seats by height before 2, and if they hit the 33 lbs mark they n eed to be turned (unless it's one of the 35 lb seats of course).
Well, it will depend on the seat. The roundabout both of my boys probably would outgrow by height close to two. The old evenflo my oldest outgrew rfing at 11 months, my youngest at 16 months by height. The radian by weight before height (I have a 33lb model, my oldest may have made it to 35 in that, it would have been really close).

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#64 of 68 Old 04-05-2009, 10:28 AM

"All I'm saying is that recommendations in situations like this are often better than laws, because laws don't take any individual situations into account. There should be some flexibility."

Amen. One thing I keep seeing over and over again is people who can do a decent FFing install, but a really crappy RFing install, with their particular car-and-carseat combination. In those situations, I'd prefer that parents knew of the AAP recommendation, but were still able to use their discretion. The biggest problem with carseats, of course, is that they are dangerous as hell when improperly installed. Installation has caused me more angst than any other car seat decision for any of my kids.

That said, I am very hopeful that this new recommendation will inspire US car seat retailers to give me some more choices in the convertible-seat arena!
#65 of 68 Old 04-05-2009, 12:09 PM

I thought the AAP recs already were to RF to the limit of your car seat?

Twin boys 04/2005 : Support breastfeeding rights at FirstRight.Org : warrior
Face the rear for MORE than a year! Toddlers' necks are safest in a rear facing carseat
#66 of 68 Old 04-05-2009, 05:39 PM

Just a thought, but if a parent is only going to listen to an AAP rec instead of reading their manuals and really knowing proper usage of their seat, there could be kids riding RF that are too tall (like it seats like the roundabout, diplomat, comfortsport). I know my skinny little girl is too tall for the comfortsport now RF. Just a thought. I'm glad the rec is in place now, but it's a thought I had.
#67 of 68 Old 04-05-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemyavery View Post
And for the record, I completely disagree with vbactivist. Laws are there to protect people too little to protect themselves. If parents aren't willing to keep their children safe, I'm glad the law does. There is nothing subjective about car seats, like there are with vaccines.

Car seats keep kids safer. Infants and toddlers are safest rear facing. No debate, no arguing about this point.
by that same logic, though, kids are safer if they are never IN a car at all, but obviously, we don't want laws that make it impossible to drive anywhere.

it's a slippery slope when you start legislating things like this, which is what vbactivist's post said to me.

now, before anyone gets too flame happy, i am totally supportive of anyone who keeps their kiddo RF as long as possible. there are reasons that some kids (the minority by far, of course) are safer *overall* FF, though. there was a post on this thread that cited one of those circumstances.
#68 of 68 Old 04-06-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamarootoo View Post
by that same logic, though, kids are safer if they are never IN a car at all, but obviously, we don't want laws that make it impossible to drive anywhere.

it's a slippery slope when you start legislating things like this, which is what vbactivist's post said to me.

now, before anyone gets too flame happy, i am totally supportive of anyone who keeps their kiddo RF as long as possible. there are reasons that some kids (the minority by far, of course) are safer *overall* FF, though. there was a post on this thread that cited one of those circumstances.
Thank you , Laura

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page