How to get a young child to follow this rule: - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 04-07-2009, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do not open the front door and leave the house without mommy or daddy with you.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#2 of 45 Old 04-07-2009, 03:58 PM

I put a lock at the top of the door.

Live and love with your whole being.
#3 of 45 Old 04-07-2009, 04:00 PM

I was going to say a lock, too. Like a chain one that can be easily installed and removed later on without damage to the door.

There are also chimes that you can stick on that require zero hardware--they have strong adhesive and can be usd for doors or windows.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#4 of 45 Old 04-07-2009, 04:01 PM

Lock it. Triple lock it. Lock at the WAYYYY top. I firmly believe that children should be allowed to "mess up" and "break the rules" on many occasions, but not in situations where they could put themselves in extreme danger...not to mention make their mama's nervous wrecks.

DS1 06/27/2007, DS2 03/19/2010 :::
#5 of 45 Old 04-07-2009, 04:01 PM

I use doorknob covers. When my oldest figured out how to stick his fingers inside them to open the door, I cut out little cardboard circles and put them inside the covers so he couldn't get his fingers in.

If any of them figure THAT out, we'll install some kind of lock near the top of the door. We live on a lake so its VERY important that they can't 'escape' without our knowledge.

Nicole - Mom to FOUR healthy, happy, wild boys.
#6 of 45 Old 04-07-2009, 04:06 PM

I'm actually thinking both the chime and lock may be a good idea. I just remembered my 2nd child would push a chair over to the door, unlock the sliding chain thing, move the chair, and escape! It doesn't take my kids long to figure stuff like that out.

We live in a much different area now, and going in and out the doors is not a big concern... however, I am very happy our security system includes a chime that sounds every time a door or window is open. It keeps me aware of the situation.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#7 of 45 Old 04-07-2009, 08:10 PM

Yep yep. This is totally not a rule you can rely on teaching; you have to physically enforce it, with hardware. Ours is in the form of a barrel bolt at 6' up on the door.

Until we got that installed, we put part of our ConfigureGate across the front porch steps with zip ties holding it to the railing. ;-)
#8 of 45 Old 04-07-2009, 08:21 PM

We put a chain way up high when dd invited people IN our house while I was changing dd2!!!
#9 of 45 Old 04-07-2009, 08:29 PM

Hook and eye latch at the top of the screen door. Ours is metal and glass and I put a hole in the door for it easy enough. It wont hold up to hard pushing like if there was a fire the dept could get in no problem but kids cant get out until they are old enough to learn how to take the broom and unhook it

We also have a security system that I keep on almost all the time.

Better to be safe and make sure they cannot get out than rely on the fact they may or may not remember that rule.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#10 of 45 Old 04-07-2009, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

The doorknob covers and locks have not worked.

I can hear it, so a chime isn't necessary. My house is very, very tiny.

It only happens when I'm sitting on the toilet and am otherwise indisposed.

Opportunistic, mechanically inclined, escape artists are what I'm working with here.

I was once fully naked when I intercepted Sophia on the outside porch.

ETA: The one with a problem following this rule is the 2.5 year old.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#11 of 45 Old 04-07-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post
The doorknob covers and locks have not worked.

I can hear it, so a chime isn't necessary. My house is very, very tiny.

It only happens when I'm sitting on the toilet and am otherwise indisposed.

Opportunistic, mechanically inclined, escape artists are what I'm working with here.

I was once fully naked when I intercepted Sophia on the outside porch.

ETA: The one with a problem following this rule is the 2.5 year old.
What if you replace your lock with a lock that needs a key on both sides? That way you have the key in your pocket and your kids definitely can't open the door.

Live and love with your whole being.
#12 of 45 Old 04-07-2009, 09:27 PM

I put hooks up high on the door to keep my children from being able to open it.
#13 of 45 Old 04-07-2009, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccajo View Post
What if you replace your lock with a lock that needs a key on both sides? That way you have the key in your pocket and your kids definitely can't open the door.
it sounds like this would work, but I didn't know such locks existed. Would this replace the entire knob set? It would have to lock from both sides and I'd have to keep the key on me. Abigail has proven she knows how to use the bedroom door key.

Is this fairly expensive ($20+) because, as always, money for us is very lacking.

#14 of 45 Old 04-07-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
it sounds like this would work, but I didn't know such locks existed. Would this replace the entire knob set? It would have to lock from both sides and I'd have to keep the key on me. Abigail has proven she knows how to use the bedroom door key.

Is this fairly expensive ($20+) because, as always, money for us is very lacking.
It wouldn't replace the entire knob set, you can just add a deadbolt that locks from both sides. We have one on our front door and the door to the garage.

https://www.hardwareworld.com/Double...t-pIRUATB.aspx
#15 of 45 Old 04-07-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
The only issue here is fire safety. The key MUST stay at the door somehow. Tied to a string that is too high for the kids to reach or something, perhaps, but you simply can't count on every adult having the key in hand at all times in case you need to get out in an emergency. In dark, smokey conditions you can't be scrambling for your keychain.

My parents had a lock that was keyed on both sides. We left a key in the lock and never, I mean never, removed that key. I'm not sure they even sell these much anymore. I would say avoid this and go for one of the other types of solutions offered.
#16 of 45 Old 04-07-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:

You can get a deadbolt that requires a key on both sides. I am not sure about a knob lock.

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
#17 of 45 Old 04-07-2009, 10:37 PM

If you visit the door + door knob section at home depot, there's a ton of options, from sliding locks (ala public bathrooms, old style) to chain locks (like NYC apartments on tv) to flip down things (especially for kid retention) to actual deadbolts (as mentioned above). There's definitely options under $5. You just mount everything on the top of the door, not the side. I've found www.ebay.com is the best place to get cheap hardware.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#18 of 45 Old 04-07-2009, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastyToes View Post
The only issue here is fire safety. The key MUST stay at the door somehow. Tied to a string that is too high for the kids to reach or something, perhaps, but you simply can't count on every adult having the key in hand at all times in case you need to get out in an emergency. In dark, smokey conditions you can't be scrambling for your keychain.

My parents had a lock that was keyed on both sides. We left a key in the lock and never, I mean never, removed that key. I'm not sure they even sell these much anymore. I would say avoid this and go for one of the other types of solutions offered.
If it's not one thing making me worry, it's another. I hadn't even though of the possibility of a fire and having lost the key! And we live in a mobile home, so fire is a fear I have. I *could* break a window, but I just don't even like to think about such things because fire is a huge fear of mine.

#19 of 45 Old 04-08-2009, 02:11 AM

Hm... what about an oven lock? Like this: http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/...mSource=Search

There's various types. Also search for refrigerator lock or appliance lock.

If you *really* can't find any means to physically secure the door, then you have to secure the child. You get a harness. You explain to Abigail (who is almost four, right?) that Mommy needs to keep her safe, and that means keeping her in the house when Mommy can't come outside with her. Since she can't follow that rule on her own, whenever Mommy needs to do something like go to the bathroom, Abigail puts on the harness, and Mommy keeps hold of her.

I'm serious. The *only* choices are to secure the door or secure the child. Kids will do their best to meet our expectations. When they don't, that means they can't. She's too little to be responsible for her safety in this way. She's telling you that in the clearest way possible.

It will probably only take a week or two of doing this before she says she's ready to not need the harness anymore... but have the talk about how if she tries to go AWOL again, then you'll keep doing the harness until YOU think she's ready to go without it.
#20 of 45 Old 04-08-2009, 02:46 AM

We have a double deadbolt on our front door. We lock it from the inside, and keep the key up very high and out of sight. (ETA for fire safety it's on a hook on the closet door next to the front door.)

DS1 figured out recently how to hang from the doorknob to pop open the doorknob covers so those aren't even a possibility for us anymore.

Mama to two crazy boys (8/05 & 9/07) and happy wife to one wonderful hubby.
#21 of 45 Old 04-08-2009, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironica View Post
Hm... what about an oven lock? Like this: http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/...mSource=Search

There's various types. Also search for refrigerator lock or appliance lock.
I've used several appliance locks and they can both operate those locks. So I placed them up high and they used various household items to climb on to reach the locks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironica
You explain to Abigail (who is almost four, right?) that Mommy needs to keep her safe, and that means keeping her in the house when Mommy can't come outside with her. Since she can't follow that rule on her own, whenever Mommy needs to do something like go to the bathroom, Abigail puts on the harness, and Mommy keeps hold of her.
Abigail doesn't do this anymore, Sophia does. She's 2.5 and we've had plenty of talks on the subject. I do like the harness idea. I have one and I can definitely attach it to her every time I need to use the bathroom and have her come with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironica
It will probably only take a week or two of doing this before she says she's ready to not need the harness anymore... but have the talk about how if she tries to go AWOL again, then you'll keep doing the harness until YOU think she's ready to go without it.
I hope so, she's quite persistent! I will let you know how it works. Thanks

ETA: I just realized I have no idea where the harness is. I'll have to look for it tomorrow.

#22 of 45 Old 04-08-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
If it's not one thing making me worry, it's another. I hadn't even though of the possibility of a fire and having lost the key! And we live in a mobile home, so fire is a fear I have. I *could* break a window, but I just don't even like to think about such things because fire is a huge fear of mine.
I don't think you want to be in a position of having to break windows and pass little kids through them in a fire (or other emergency, if you needed to get out). I hope you find a solution.
#23 of 45 Old 04-08-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Abigail doesn't do this anymore, Sophia does.
Ah... you'd said abigail previously. Sorry for the mixup.

May take more time for her to learn this then.

Also, see if you can take them outside more often. Even just to run around near the house. She's trying to meet a need by going outside. Either the need is "Get mommy's attention at all costs!" or it's "Get outside and play!" If you're in a really small space she may just be getting a little restless. When we were in a two-bedroom apt. with DS1, we used to sometimes just go and climb up and down the stairwell... he was somewhat younger when this was AWESOME, but it worked. Later we'd just go play catch in the central courtyard. I'd try to get him to the park several times a week, but we'd get outside several hours every day, between errands and just recreation. Also, we walked or took the bus everywhere, so going outside didn't mean getting in the car.
#24 of 45 Old 04-08-2009, 02:52 PM

Since we rent we cannot make any permanent changes to the unit, so we got one of those sticky latches for our sliding glass door and put it up high.
#25 of 45 Old 04-08-2009, 03:26 PM

I live in a trialer also- and childproofing can be an obsticle for some reason. I think it's the materials used in the constuction of the home.

That said- I would NOT leave Sophia alone. Period. I have a houdini also, and it's nerve wracking! Always escaping! I don't allow my youngest to be outside the bathroom if I'm in it. Where ever I go, he goes. Untill he can understand that the door is not for him- he stays with me. I don't allow him to open it when we are going outside- I make it a Mommy Only task.

I would get a new lock for your door- regardless of what else you do. Also buy an adhesive hook and stick it next to the door with the key on it- up high enough that it can't be reached by little hands. You can't risk LO leaving the home and getting injured....

Married to Michael and Mother of Jake 9, Jillianne 7, Jensen 5, Jacen 4. I've got severe osteoporosis, a fractured hip and chronic pain-so please be patient with me! Pagan,Crocheter,Reader,Homeschooler- that's me in a nutshell.

#26 of 45 Old 04-08-2009, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironica View Post
Also, see if you can take them outside more often. Even just to run around near the house. She's trying to meet a need by going outside. Either the need is "Get mommy's attention at all costs!" or it's "Get outside and play!" If you're in a really small space she may just be getting a little restless.
Yeah, I'm sure she's restless. Winter here lasts way too long. The roads are seriously unsafe for walking, even to get to a bus stop, and there I really have no destination during the winter. There is a nearby park, but it's wet and icy and cold still. She tends to get out of the door more when the dog is outside. I have a retractable leash I hook my dog to which allows her to go 26 feet from our front door to go potty unattended. I have the handle attached to a hook inside the front door. There is an outside and an inside porch, so there are two doors. The dog is attached to the outside one with the inside door closed. If the dog whines or barks at anything, Sophia is off to let her in, then is distracted by the rocks under our carport since the snow under there has recently melted. I searched all morning for that harness. When I wasn't looking for it, it seemed it was everywhere, in the living room, in the toy bin, hanging from their coat hooks (we have no front closet), on the floor, in the bedroom. Today, it's nowhere to be round.

Hopefully it'll be safe to walk around outside again. The roads in our trailer park are not plowed regularly and there are no sidewalks.

#27 of 45 Old 04-08-2009, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarngoddess View Post

That said- I would NOT leave Sophia alone. Period. I have a houdini also, and it's nerve wracking! Always escaping! I don't allow my youngest to be outside the bathroom if I'm in it. Where ever I go, he goes. Untill he can understand that the door is not for him- he stays with me. I don't allow him to open it when we are going outside- I make it a Mommy Only task.
I'm going to have to find that harness or make a new one out of my pet's equipment. Our bathroom has a washer/dryer in it, so when I'm sitting on the toilet, the bathroom door is about 6 feet from me. I sure appreciate all the tips here. I know with all the help you've all provided me, I'll be able to find a way that keeps Fia safe.

#28 of 45 Old 04-08-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastyToes View Post
They do still sell them. Because for anyone with glass insets on or near the door they are a requirement. We have a double dead-bolt on our front door for that exact reason - otherwise someone could just break out the window, reach in and open the door.

In case of fire, you shouldn't be relying on the ability to make it to the front door, regardless. If the fire is between the bedrooms and the front door, there's no way you'd get there in the middle of the night.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#29 of 45 Old 04-08-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
I put a lock at the top of the door.
That, and put the fear of death into them when they attemp it. And I'm only kidding a little bit.

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
#30 of 45 Old 04-08-2009, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Of_60 View Post
.....and put the fear of death into them when they attempt it. And I'm only kidding a little bit.
Every single time. Apparently I'm not scary enough. I have told her she cannot go outside without Mommy. I've warned her of dangers of being outside without Mommy. I've told her she needs me with her to keep her safe:
from moving cars,
dangerous people (there are 2 registered child sex offenders living in our neighborhood),
unfriendly loose dogs,
angry people including children and adults, men and women (random acts of violence among neighbors acting stupid that I've witnessed just a couple houses down),
falling on the sharp rocks, etc.

I don't give her the whole list every single time, but at least two of those are mentioned each time. Abigail overhears me talk to Sophia and will tell Sophia to wait for Mommy so no bad men will get her (not even words I've used, but apparently how Abigail has interpreted what I said).

I tell her it is NOT OK for her to EVER open the front door by herself. I tell her only Mommy or Daddy can open the door. I tell her she CAN NOT go outside by herself. I tell her she can only go outside with Mommy or Daddy.

I've been giving her these lectures for several months now and I'm hoping they'll eventually sink in. I'm constantly on edge, worrying she has escaped. Such as when I go in the bathroom to fold laundry and she's in the living room playing with toys, I tell them to come with me to help and if they try to leave the bathroom before I'm done, I drop the laundry on the floor to follow them or bring them back. Or if they wake before I do. One morning, before putting on my glasses, I stumble sleepily to the bathroom for my morning pee, Sophia comes along. I glanced down the hall toward the computer and see what I 'think' is Abigail sitting on the chair playing on the computer. (the past week she's been getting on it herself in the morning to play uptoten and starfall..... she even knows how to open a browser window and select the folder on my toolbar that has the list of bookmarks for kid sites). I came out of bathroom, went in living room and found the chair empty an panicked thinking somehow Abigail got out of the house, even though this is more a problem with Sophia. I look out the window, I go down the hall calling out her name, I look in the bathroom, then back in the bedroom to discover she's still sleeping in bed. I had just imagined I'd seen her, in my sleepy, glassless state. This is obviously stressing me out.

No problems so far today, and I still cannot find that harness.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page