3 carseats, a minivan, and a c-section - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 04-07-2009, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok so I have DS#1 (3 1/2) and DS#2 (1 1/2) in the convertible car seats in the bucket seats of our Kia Sedona minivan. So when DC#3 arrives in July we'll most likely have to put DS#1 in the 3rd row seat and have the infant seat in the 2nd row. It's already difficult to reach the 3rd row with the car seats installed now but will I be able to buckle up DS#1 way in the back?? I'll most likely be having a c-section which will make this even more difficult at least for a while. Any thoughts on how to make this work?

My first thoughts are 1) trying to buckle DS#1 from behind. 2) having to put both boys in the way back and remove one of the 2nd row seats or 3) buying a new van perhaps a Sienna which can have all 3 car seats in the middle. I question the safety option 2 and obviously the expense of option 3 but it might be doable as I was planning on getting a new van within the next few years anyway. Oh and we have two dogs! (One small, one medium.)

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!! TIA!

Jess ~mom to DS1 8/05, DS2 6/07, DD 7/09 and one surprise 5/11!
Melanoma survivor/patient. Diagnosed 11/09. Wear sunscreen. Check skin. See a derm.
#2 of 16 Old 04-07-2009, 05:41 PM

when i had #3 i put the 2 older kids in the back and had the baby in the front, that way i could sit with the baby in the back when my dh was driving

Susan, Mom to 4- Elizabeth 12, Hailey 9, Sammy 7, Caroline 3
#3 of 16 Old 04-07-2009, 05:47 PM

Is the 3 1/2 year old FF? I am in a similar situation. In July I will have a 4 yo, 2.5 yo, and nb. the 4 YO will go in the back, on the side. It is relatively easy for him to get in and out of his seat, and I can reach back on the side of the captain seat to harness him up. Then the two littles will be in the bucket seats rear facing. When the 2.5 yo moves to FF, I will probably put her in the back as well, and keep the second captain seat folded down to easily buckle them iin.

Jackie and Rafael (4/15/04)
DS (4/25/05) my unschooled airbending pokemon wizard 
DD (10/05/06) my spirited pixie, who weaned at 3 yrs 10 months
DD (7/27/09) my UC water baby - I mean toddler!

DS (2/21/12) UC #2! My littlest love

#4 of 16 Old 04-07-2009, 05:48 PM

We have an 8 passenger Sienna and I am not 100% sure it was the way to go. I think over the long haul the 2 captain's chairs in the middle would be better...

As for DS#1 in the back - he will be nearly 4 - can he buckle himself or can you start getting him to learn?? I am pretty sure my son could buckle himself in by then...

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
#5 of 16 Old 04-07-2009, 05:48 PM

My mini-van has second row captain's chairs and stow n go, so I don't know if this would work for you, but I leave the passenger side second row seat down all the time. This way I can easily buckle in the older two kids in the third row and keep the baby in the second row behind the driver.

Joy wife to DH, mom to DS1 (4/2005): DD (5/2007) : : DS2 (1/2009 :
I do what works and when it stops working, then I do something else.
#6 of 16 Old 04-07-2009, 06:02 PM

Gosh i'm trying to figure out the same thing with my minivan. I will have 3 in car seats and 3 out of carseats. I think i need to get an 8 seater. But i am hoping the older kids will help unbuckle the younger kids.
#7 of 16 Old 04-07-2009, 06:08 PM

I would teach your oldest to buckle and unbuckle himself. My older 2 both learned to use their 5pt. harnesses correctly at about age 4. Sometimes its a little harder for them to unbuckle it, but with lots of practice, they'll get it.

Sarah : , mama to Lucas (8) , Ryan (5) : , Andrew (1yr) , and someone new : due early Dec.
#8 of 16 Old 04-07-2009, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

The 3 1/2 yr old is FF. I was wondering if he might be able to buckle himself in at 4. It makes me a little nervous that he could get it tight enough. It's also hard to get positioned correctly but maybe I could talk DH into a different car seat instead of a different van. He's currently in an Eddie Bauer 3 in 1 and both shoulder straps are connected so that if one get twisted and too tight the other one is too loose unlike our Roundabout in which the straps seem to be independent of one another.

Hmmm. Definitely something to try.

Melanoma survivor/patient. Diagnosed 11/09. Wear sunscreen. Check skin. See a derm.
#9 of 16 Old 04-07-2009, 06:24 PM

When I had three, my older boys sat in the back row and the baby sat in the middle seat of the middle row. I had the other captains chair folded down so I could sit on it to buckle everyone or fold up to sit in if I needed to.
#10 of 16 Old 04-07-2009, 06:55 PM

If you are going to get anyone in safely from the back, I think the baby in the bucket would be the easiest. You could open up the back hatch, kneel in and snap the bucket in the base by going over the back seat. If you are the one driving it isn't like you can soothe the baby while you are driving and if you are riding you could always sit in the back with the baby. I keep the chest straps too tight for the kids to get in and out by themselves....I loosen and tighten each time they get in and out.
#11 of 16 Old 04-07-2009, 07:27 PM

What I found works best with 3 kiddos is to take one of the captian's chairs out, and put the newbie on the other captain's chair, with the oldest ones in the back. Then you can load everyone in, click the baby's seat in, and actually climb in the van to buckle the bigger ones with out twisting and leaning and contorting.

CPST & mom

#12 of 16 Old 04-07-2009, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies! I will have to have DH rearrange the seats in the van so I can try out some of your suggestions. It certainly would be cheaper than getting a new van and I figure we should be able to make ours work... Thanks for the input.

#13 of 16 Old 04-07-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
What I found works best with 3 kiddos is to take one of the captian's chairs out, and put the newbie on the other captain's chair, with the oldest ones in the back. Then you can load everyone in, click the baby's seat in, and actually climb in the van to buckle the bigger ones with out twisting and leaning and contorting.
That's what I'd do. You know then that they're all in and safe, and you have room to maneuver.

We have an 8passenger Excursion and its a 60/40 split middle row - I put my older two in the back row and babe in the bucket then convertible in the 40 part. Worked awesome.

Tamika
Mum to 5 wonderful gifts!!
#14 of 16 Old 04-07-2009, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I have a Kia Sedona. I have my baby in the captain's chair behind the driver then the older two in the back. Instead of taking the other captains chair out of the van, I keep it folded down, and then I just sit on the back while I buckle the kids in. I actually prefer having it there to sit on - I had it out for a bit, and found that I did not like having to crouch and kneel back there.

I'd be nervous to trust a young child to buckle themselves. My daughter would buckle herself at that age, but I'd always check it, and there were several times when she thought she had buckled herself in but it hadn't quite latched.
#15 of 16 Old 04-07-2009, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pers View Post
I'd be nervous to trust a young child to buckle themselves. My daughter would buckle herself at that age, but I'd always check it, and there were several times when she thought she had buckled herself in but it hadn't quite latched.
It does make me nervous too which is why I would like to be able to have access to all three of them. (My FIL can not even be trusted to buckle the kids in correctly! He was visiting this weekend and usually did not even have the straps on the kids shoulders!) Anyway... I'll see how it is putting the seat down. I was thinking that this might be more awkward but I see what you mean by being able to sit on the seat. It might be more difficult right after the c-section but then again it might be helpful. And I'd actually rather have the option of having an extra person in the car if we want to. I wish the car had store and go seats! Thanks!

#16 of 16 Old 04-08-2009, 09:54 AM

I think putting one of the captain's chairs down is a good solution.

I understand why some of you are nervous about the kids buckling themselves, but I do check them and they do great. Their straps are nice and tight and the chest clip is in the proper position. I always listen for the clicks of the bottom buckle too.

Sarah : , mama to Lucas (8) , Ryan (5) : , Andrew (1yr) , and someone new : due early Dec.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page