DH refuses to keep OTC and prescription drugs out of DS reach - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-16-2009, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I think we can ease up on Ophelia a little. It sounds like a pretty complicated situation and that Ophelia's trying to work through a lot of stuff.

From what you've posted, it sounds like you're in that rough patch of life known as parenting a two year old (), and the whole food sensitivity/allergy thing is a total pita that requires a level of vigilance that's very tiring.

Ophelia, when do you next go to counselling? Can you bring this up as an issue there? Maybe a third party can have some influence. What about DH talking to his pharmacist?

I don't think the meds being left out is in any way negotiable. Can you try this with your DH without setting him off:

"DH, I'm really trying to see your point of view on a whole lot of things. The fact is that two year olds get into things, and that medications can kill a child. If something happened to DS because he got into your medications, it would do irreparable harm to our relationship, to your sense of well being, and would likely lead to charges of child endangerment and involve both the police and CPS. This is not a hard situation to resolve - your medications simply need to be kept in <insert location> all of the time."

The other thing to consider, Ophelia, is that if something were to happen to your child due to his getting into your DH's meds, you could be charged as well for child endangerment/reckless disregard. This is just a bad situation all round.

I hope you're safe with this man, and I hope you find a way to a better place. Take care of yourself.

Mom to a teenager and a middle schooler.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2009, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks, it is like being stuck between a rock and a hard place. Obviously, safety comes first. When I did talk to him about it (asked him why he got so upset) he said same as before, that if he doesn't see them he forgets to take them. I said, well what about a post-it on the mirror that is eye level, you will see that every day. I said then if that doesn't work there are lock-boxes you can get. I told him I'm sure that other parents thought "it wouldn't happen to us". I also said if he doesn't believe me he can go ask his co-workers who are PARAMEDICS!

He did agree to try the post-it note for now, but for some odd reason will not start until this weekend (I'll take the liberty of starting this weekend tonight when we get home). What on earth he needs extra time to prepare for, I have no idea :

yes I will definitely bring the whole thing up at our next appt. It's like it's inconvenient for him to change his way of doing things, he still wants to live like a bachelor.

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

Old 04-24-2009, 01:21 PM

I have a tool box with a lock on it for my meds.

http://www.centraldelawarehfh.com/re...cToolBoxLg.jpg

Lock

http://www.chicagocase.com/images/pr...TSA_main_1.jpg

Mom of two, torn apart
Old 04-24-2009, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I did put a post-it on the mirror, and the meds are on the highest shelf of the cabinet, but at some point we still may need to do some kind of box. thanks for the links!

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

Old 04-25-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophelia View Post
Thanks! I did put a post-it on the mirror, and the meds are on the highest shelf of the cabinet, but at some point we still may need to do some kind of box. thanks for the links!

No problem!

Mom of two, torn apart
Old 04-26-2009, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda2r14 View Post
Huh? Is he for real? One small act of responsibility to put something away when you're done with it is too much for him? His son's life and safety is worth less than just getting to live the fraternity mess life? I can't even wrap my brain around that.
I agree, I don't get it at all.

I'd move them myself, and every single time DH put them back, I'd move them again, immediately.

Jillian wife to Ryan and mommy to Janelle Ashlynn (9/09/2002), Kincaid Chance (3/29/2004), Travis Neil (8/13/2007) and River Anderson (5/02/2009).
Old 04-26-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophelia View Post
Glad the post-it note is working!

I just saw this thread and glad you have updated with good news.

P.S. I hope counseling is going well, too.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato

User Tag List