What infant car seat will you be using? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 76 Old 04-15-2009, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies - I'm trying to decide between the Peg Perego Primo Viaggio and the Chicco Keyfit 30 for my little one due later this year. I can get a great deal for the Peg at about the same price for the Keyfit (Peg's are usually about $100 more). Are any of you planning on using these car seats or have used them before? I'd be interested in the pros and cons of both.

Have you decided which seat you will be using? Which one and why? TIA!
#2 of 76 Old 04-15-2009, 12:17 PM

I bought a Maxi Cosi Cabriofix with the Isofix base for my last baby and will be using it again. I have used a lot of different infant seats in my time as a mother and it was by far the best one. I loved it.

Stephanie-33 lucky mama of 5 precious ones: DD-12, DS-9 , DS-6 , and DD-3 and Bridget Alannah  SHE'S ONE NOW! loving wife to DH-38
#3 of 76 Old 04-15-2009, 12:45 PM
Banned

Britax and Recaro are two of the highest rated seats as far as safety (not sure about Peg Pergo, I know it's a high end brand, but I don't know if their carseats are worth the price). Graco makes the most popular infant seat, I believe it's pretty high on the safety ratings as well (it's called the Snug Ride).

Personally, I hated bucket seats. Yeah it was nice to be able to easily remove my sleeping baby from the car, but I found with #2 she was just as likely to fall asleep in a sling if I took her all the way out of her seat. Bucket seats are bulky to carry, bang into your leg and cause all kinds of bruises, plus, I found out recently you're not even supposed to put a baby in there for long periods. The angle that they are at is great for a car crash, but it's not as good for sleeping and could cause breathing problems.

I'm going to buy a new Recaro booster seat for my oldest and give the baby her Britax Marathon. I actually think the Marathon is the best carseat ever. The straps NEVER twist, it's super easy to adjust and install, it lasts from infancy well through toddlerhood (my average sized four year old just recently went to the highest notch for height), and you can easily remove the cover for washing. It's just a great seat overall. Best money I ever spent.
#4 of 76 Old 04-15-2009, 12:55 PM

I had/have a Peg Perego SIP that I used with my son. It is a nice seat but HEAVY AS A BEAST. Seriously, it is so heavy. Also, I felt that it didn't recline enough, so his head was always dropping forward until he could hold it up, then, if he was asleep, he would drop forward again.
But other than the fact that I wasn't convinced it was comfortable AND SOOOO HEAVY, it did clip into our stroller just fine (Bugaboo Gecko) and was rated very safe.

I just bought a Maxi Cosi Mico for our new baby. It will also clip into our stroller but not the double I have gotten. I'll keep the Peg Perego for the double stroller until she can sit in the stroller proper (jogging stroller).

BUT, usually I just put the baby in a sling, so carrying the Peg Perego wasn't THAT much of a hassle. We usually only took it out when DS was asleep in it and we were going to go into a restaurant or something, and he'd just sleep right through dinner. It was nice that way.

Catherine and B stillheart.gif DS1 (6) biggrinbounce.gif DD (4) loveeyes.gif DS2 (1) drool.gif and expecting #4 shamrocksmile.gif on March 17, 2014.  
#5 of 76 Old 04-15-2009, 01:14 PM

We'll be borrowing a friend's Graco until we are out of newborn phase, then purchase a Britax Marathon--or maybe get a Britax Regent and give that to our toddler and give new baby big bro's Marathon.

Either way we love Britax, but the infant bucket seat does come in hand in the those early weeks.

Kimberly
(Mama to West (11/07) Mabel Kelly 10/02/09)
#6 of 76 Old 04-15-2009, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This is kind of a general comment, I'm not familiar with either carseat... but we already decided not to get an infant bucket again with #2. They're sooo awkward to carry, it was always easier just to get DD out and put her in a wrap than lug the carseat around. I'd really only consider a bucket if you live somewhere with nasty winters (we live in Seattle, the worst we'll get here is cold rain) or really need it to snap into a stroller.

We're just going to get a convertible and probably it'll be the True Fit, as many of other convertibles don't have low enough harness positions for a newborn. (We put DD into a Marathon at 4 months and she was just BARELY big enough for the lowest harness position then.)

There's a multi-page thread about carseats in the October DDC, in case you're interested in browsing there.

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)
#7 of 76 Old 04-15-2009, 01:20 PM

I would avoid the peg, I have heard some negative things about them. I'm getting a graco snugride 32. I don't like infant seats, BUT I have to deal with preschool and 1/2 day K drop offs and pick ups next yr and winters here are brutal. So, I will end up having to depend on the infant seat. The chicco was the other one I really wanted, but the price difference was more than $50 more than the graco. I would rate the two top infant seats as the graco and chiccos, you can't go wrong with either one.
#8 of 76 Old 04-15-2009, 01:40 PM

I registered for an Evenflo Symphony Convertible Car Seat because it lasts until the baby is practically driving themselves, lol. My nephews had the carrier-type car seats, and they were always too heavy and awkward for me to carry around, so I don't get the convenience factor... I also don't like the way people tend to put those (with their precious little baby in them) on the ground/floor. I'd rather have the baby in a sling or stroller outside of the car.

Happily married mom to DS (Aug 09) and two furry troublemakers.

#9 of 76 Old 04-15-2009, 01:50 PM

We are leaning towards the Peg Perego. My first choice was the Chicco Keyfit, but we want a BOB stroller, and only the Peg Perego and Graco carseats will work with the adaptor. I've heard a few things about the Graco seats that make me want to avoid them.

Due to our winters in Alberta I think an infant seat is the best bet for us. I don't like the idea of strapping a little baby into a freezing cold car seat at 30 below zero, and they can't safely have a snow suit on under the straps, so we need to be able to bring the seat into the house. I have no intention of carrying the baby around in it so I'm not too concerned with weight of the seat. Nor would I leave the baby sitting in it for long periods of time!

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

#10 of 76 Old 04-15-2009, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

That's the exact same reason we are considering the Peg....compatibility with the Bob Revolution! The Chicco's are not compatible. I'm torn between using the Chicco and purchasing a stroller frame (I've heard the Maclaren Easy Traveller fits really well with the Keyfit) and using the Bob separately. Or getting the car seat adapter and using the Peg and Bob together.

I think I would prefer the Chicco, especially since I will be using it longer (infant can seat in the Bob starting at 8 weeks). But I really want to use them together and not have to purchase another stroller!
#11 of 76 Old 04-15-2009, 02:01 PM

I've heard of babies having severe skin reactions to the Keyfit 30. We're going with the snugride 32 - I don't expect to use the bucket feature very much but wanted something that would fit a newborn well. It will also be nice to be able to take the seat into the house when the weather is really hot or cold so we can load the baby up in the house and don't have burning buckles, etc.
#12 of 76 Old 04-15-2009, 02:18 PM

Moved to Family safety.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#13 of 76 Old 04-15-2009, 02:19 PM

I am getting the Premiere True Fit Convertible. Buckets make me uneasy because of the safety factor, and after reading lots about different seats, I decided on the Premiere True Fit.

Single mama to S ~ 6/09

#14 of 76 Old 04-15-2009, 03:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelakann View Post
We'll be borrowing a friend's Graco until we are out of newborn phase, then purchase a Britax Marathon--or maybe get a Britax Regent and give that to our toddler and give new baby big bro's Marathon.

Either way we love Britax, but the infant bucket seat does come in hand in the those early weeks.
I wish Britax made a plain booster seat. They used to, but it's been discontinued. The only one they sell now is a front facing carseat/booster combo, and it's the same price as a Marathon. I just can't see paying that much for a front-facing-only seat. Recaro is rated as high as Britax and they make a booster seat that's more reasonably priced (I think it's like $80).
#15 of 76 Old 04-15-2009, 03:48 PM

We're getting a Combi Shuttle. We have an almost brand new Marathon sitting in our storage unit, but ds just barely fit appropriately when he was a newborn and he was really long (90% for height and just barely fit above the first strap slots). I don't want to buy a different full size convertible because I plan to use the Marathon when the new baby fits into it. We have a stroller with a carry cot (pram) so carseat/stroller adapters aren't an issue and I don't like the idea of using a bucket seat on a stroller, it seems like that could lead to the baby spending way too much time strapped in a less than ideal position.
#16 of 76 Old 04-15-2009, 04:59 PM

I would go with whatever one has the higher weight/length limits. From what I can tell they seem to be the same. If that is the case then I would go with whatever one works with your stroller.

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
#17 of 76 Old 04-15-2009, 05:00 PM

Britax seats don't fit the vast majority of newborns well, so I'd suggest getting a bucket or a different convertible until the baby fits into the Britax.

CPST & mom

#18 of 76 Old 04-15-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshynbaby View Post
I registered for an Evenflo Symphony Convertible Car Seat because it lasts until the baby is practically driving themselves, lol. My nephews had the carrier-type car seats, and they were always too heavy and awkward for me to carry around, so I don't get the convenience factor... I also don't like the way people tend to put those (with their precious little baby in them) on the ground/floor. I'd rather have the baby in a sling or stroller outside of the car.
If I were you I would seriously reconsider this seat. While it does RF from 5-35 lbs, it only forward faces until 40 lbs which is very low. Many children hit 40 lbs or outgrow the seat by height (when their shoulders are above the top harness slots) before 4 years old which is the MINIMUM recommended age (and in some places the law) to go into a booster. Also, as a general rule, 3 in 1 seats like this one don't make very good boosters and most carseats expire after 6 years so you would have to get a new seat at that point anyways.
I would get a truefit. It harnesses to 65 lbs, has high harness slots and will realistically keep your child harnessed until age 5 or 6. At that point you can get a booster.

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
#19 of 76 Old 04-15-2009, 06:21 PM

I agree with Nicole--the Symphony actually has VERY high top slots which will get most kids to 40 pounds, but I'd much rather go with a seat that harnesses to 65 pounds so that more kids will make it to a safe booster age and weight in the seat.

CPST & mom

#20 of 76 Old 04-15-2009, 06:32 PM

Well I've never seen the Peg but I have seen the Keyfit 30 and wow is it ever nice. I don't know if the Peg is as easy to install with latch but the Chicco seems really easy. Also, it is really really light which is a huge plus when you need to acutally carry it. My friend's baby is huge and he would fit in it for a while.

Jamie, busy Mama to my sweet little O Man, loving wife to Brian, and very excited about our new addition, the J Man, here after ourh20homebirth.gif
                                                   Unexpectedly expecting a new little one in November!!!belly.gif
#21 of 76 Old 04-15-2009, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm using the Graco SafeSeat1 I got for my SIL last year. I have made this choice based on the fact that the price was right.

I think that a bucket really is a better fit/position for a newborn than any convertible seat I've seen so far, so I'm using one more for that reason than because I yearn to carry around a big plastic shell wherever I go. But if this baby sleeps like a rock in that bucket, then this baby will be carried around in the bucket! SIL even has a little swing frame that the bucket clips into: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...LAID=107503714 If that thing works for this kid, I may get to eat a few meals and take a few bathroom breaks while enjoying the use of both hands!

<--- crazy dreamer over here
#22 of 76 Old 04-15-2009, 08:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
Britax seats don't fit the vast majority of newborns well, so I'd suggest getting a bucket or a different convertible until the baby fits into the Britax.
I heard that, but I'm having a homebirth so coming home from the hospital shouldn't be an issue. And the midwife will do home visits for newborn checks. If the new baby really is too small in the Marathon, I'll run out and get a Graco infant seat probably. My babies tend to be on the larger side of average.
#23 of 76 Old 04-15-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
I heard that, but I'm having a homebirth so coming home from the hospital shouldn't be an issue. And the midwife will do home visits for newborn checks. If the new baby really is too small in the Marathon, I'll run out and get a Graco infant seat probably. My babies tend to be on the larger side of average.
Honestly, my nine pounder wouldn't have fit in the Marathon until almost 3 months old. The slots are insanely high.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#24 of 76 Old 04-15-2009, 09:44 PM

We went with a safeseat for our baby... She had an october due date and for us in cold cold michigan it's just better to keep the babies completely covered in a carrier seat than to tredge thru the blizzard to try to get them buckled correctly in the carseat. My first two babies were 10 lbs at birth so we went with the safeseat so we would have a little more time in it... BUT she was only 6-10 at birth so she'll likely be able to be in it for a while. I do like the seat overall... I was sort of in limbo between it and the chico...

I did just buy a britax boulevard... I was going to get a marathon but was able to get a blvd for basically the same price in a print I wanted on closeout. So I'm happy that way. We'll probably wait another few months before moving her over because I still like the carrier at times. I do pull her out of it a lot though and put her in the sling or beco just cause I like to have her close. Anyway that's my story

Crystal, wife to John, mama to Jordan 11, Callie 6 and Laney 1.5, expecting baby #4 in Aug 2010
#25 of 76 Old 04-15-2009, 09:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinklefae View Post
Honestly, my nine pounder wouldn't have fit in the Marathon until almost 3 months old. The slots are insanely high.
Do the slots have to be exactly above their shoulders? What's the guidelines on that?
#26 of 76 Old 04-15-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
Do the slots have to be exactly above their shoulders? What's the guidelines on that?
The problem is that the slots have to be at or BELOW their shoulders. The Marathon and Boulevard are great, but have relatively high bottom slots. Neither of my almost 9lb and about 21inch children fit into the Marathons until around 4 months. My DS, at TWO, just moved up to the second slot for rear facing!

There are other convertibles with lower bottom slots like the TrueFit and the Radian, and on the cheaper end the Scenera.

As far as carriers, we will probably get a Snugride32 (the new name for the Safeseat 1) because our babies tend to be bigger. The Chicco is great, especially for the little ones, but we grow big babies, and the Snugride is compatible with the BOB, so...

The big things I encourage parents to look for in a carrier is a front harness adjust, an adjustable base, and built in lock-offs, all three of which are on the Snugride 32 and the Safeseat 1. For my first two, I used a basic front adjust Snugride, and then moved them to convertibles as soon as they fit. Which was fine, but now I'm a car seat nut, and need another reason to buy a new car seat, LOL!!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#27 of 76 Old 04-15-2009, 11:12 PM

I do have to agree with pp on bucket seats being a better fit for babies and absolute relief in cold/windy weather.

Dh and I went to the store and carried around all of the seats until we found one that we could live with in terms of weight. It's the Safety 1st Acella Sport Travel System

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ima...=37N8TW30L3GS1

It was the most lightweight of all the infant seats. Yes, they can bang into you and be a pain, but for us, well worth it. LO was born in late September and we live in Michigan. Can you say brrrrrr! :

That said, we only use the car seat for transportation from our house to the car and from the car to the house or to church. Otherwise, I pull her out and stick her in the sling. But when she's asleep when we get home and we can just undo the seat and bring her in...bliss...
#28 of 76 Old 04-16-2009, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlin View Post
they can't safely have a snow suit on under the straps, so we need to be able to bring the seat into the house.
Just FYI, you can use the small fleece snowsuits, since they aren't bulky like regular snowsuits.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#29 of 76 Old 04-16-2009, 11:34 AM

We're using the Peg Perego Primo Viaggio carseat as well as the stroller that it clicks into.

Pros: It's a gorgeous, easy-to-use piece and we're constantly complimented on it. It comes with an easily adjustable headrest that grows with the child's length, which I really like. I find it's easy to loosen and tighten the straps to ensure that she's secure in the seat. It's simple to pop it out of the car and convert to a carrier, and the handle actually has three different positions: one for carrying, one for use in the car, and one for stationary mode (to stabilize it, as well as put your baby at an angle where constriction of air passages is not a concern as it would be in a regular carseat used outside of the car). We don't generally use it for seating outside of the car, btw, but if she's asleep in the seat and we've just brought in some groceries that need to be put away, I like that I can convert it to stationary mode for the few minutes that will take.

Cons: It is HEAVY and it doesn't have an ergonomic handle. I make my husband carry it when we're between the car and a building. I can carry it, but I don't like to as it's bulky and I jostle my daughter around in it quite a bit (although I can see that she hardly moves -- since, you know, that's kind of a selling point of a carseat!)

I am very happy that we went with the Peg Perego system. But that said, I hardly looked at anything else, because I was sold on the Peg Perego stroller first and then wanted the carseat that would snap into it
#30 of 76 Old 04-16-2009, 11:50 AM

I have a Combi for the tiny people phase and a Recaro for probably the rest of his life. We may move into a Recaro booster at 6ish, maybe, depending on how big he gets

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page