evenflo triumph car seat anyone??? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 04-23-2009, 12:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you mean the EFTA (Evenflo Triumph Advance)? Because the TrueFit does not have tabs on the straps.

The 3-in-1 seats are very expensive for the amount of live you get out of them--all but the brand-nrew 2009 versions are generally outgrown by height by 2.5 or so

CPST & mom

#32 of 47 Old 04-23-2009, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
Do you mean the EFTA (Evenflo Triumph Advance)? Because the TrueFit does not have tabs on the straps.

The 3-in-1 seats are very expensive for the amount of live you get out of them--all but the brand-nrew 2009 versions are generally outgrown by height by 2.5 or so
Ah...yes your right. Why cant i get my car seats strait?

Well i bought it because it was the most reasonably priced and got good reviews on CR (now i guess that doesnt matter). My dd is pretty tall and is 27 months and there is no way she is going to out grow that seat any time soon.

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#33 of 47 Old 04-23-2009, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyblackdot View Post
Ah...yes your right. Why cant i get my car seats strait?

Well i bought it because it was the most reasonably priced and got good reviews on CR (now i guess that doesnt matter). My dd is pretty tall and is 27 months and there is no way she is going to out grow that seat any time soon.
Just remember that the top harness setting is only for use in booster mode, so you can't use it with the harness

CPST & mom

#34 of 47 Old 04-23-2009, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Just remember that the top harness setting is only for use in booster mode, so you can't use it with the harness

Wait huh?

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#35 of 47 Old 04-23-2009, 12:18 AM

Yep, the top adjustment is for booster mode only, so you can't use it for the harness. It's not marked clearly at all, and most people aren't aware, but if you turn the seat over it's stamped in the plastic.

CPST & mom

#36 of 47 Old 04-23-2009, 12:22 AM

Wait wait wait....im confused.

What harness? The 5pt one? If you cant use it with the harness then what do you use it with?

Do you mean you have to take the "carseat" part off so that you can use it as a booster?

#37 of 47 Old 04-23-2009, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Wait wait wait....im confused.

What harness? The 5pt one? If you cant use it with the harness then what do you use it with?

Do you mean you have to take the "carseat" part off so that you can use it as a booster?
The 5-point harness, yes. The 3-in-1 seats have that adjustment that slides up and down, and the top setting is just for booster more. In order to use that top setting, you have to take the harness straps out. So, when your child is even with the second-to-top setting, it's outgrown.

CPST & mom

#38 of 47 Old 04-23-2009, 10:38 PM

The whole Consumer's Reports thing is very confusing. I understand that they CAN be a reliable source of information on other things, but for car seats, please do not rely on them. The other posters have listed good info, but the one thing I don't see is that their info is consistently different from what we see in the field. Those 3 in 1 seats are terrible in booster mode, difficult to install rear facing, and outgrown pretty early on. Now, the new 3 in 1's are much better, with a higher harness weight, but still crappy in booster mode and hard to use rear facing.

Consumer's will not release how they test their seats, so we don't know what it is they are doing to lend such different results to what we see in real life. And sometimes, they end up just pulling everything because it was all wrong. It's frustrating for parents, but there is no "best car seat " rating.

Your best bet is to go to store that will let you take them out to your car and play with them. See what you like, and what you don't, what works in your car and what doesn't. All of that will make a huge impact on what works best.

It's not fun as a car seat tech to have to tell parents that this "great" seat that was rated so good on Consumers, is extremely difficult to install in their vehicle, or that their two year old has outgrown it, or that it fits their 5 year old very poorly as a booster, and now they need a new seat. I've yet to meet a parent who was happy in the end with their 3 in 1.

The bigger convertibles need to be marketed better, they really will last most children until 5 or even older, when you truly could just buy a booster. Or you could get a decent, cheaper covertible, like the Cosco Scenera, and then a bigger forward facing only seat, like the Graco Nautilus.

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#39 of 47 Old 04-23-2009, 10:54 PM

I would totally go with the Evenflo Triumph Advance (EFTA) if that's in your budget if you like it after checking it out- a lot of parents, including car seat technicians who would never place their child in an "unsafe seat", love it. It is the most affordable high weight convertible you will find, and the top slots are just as high as the britax 65 lb convertibles slots. All car seats pass the same tests, and no one here can tell you that one brand is superior in safety to another. There are no car crash tests released that are reliable.

ALL car seat companies INCLUDING britax have skeletons in their closets. The EFTA is a well made, SAFE seat at a very affordable price point- I would put a child in it with no worries. I would, though, make sure to get my installation checked by a car seat technician- car seats are only safe if used 100% properly.
#40 of 47 Old 04-23-2009, 11:18 PM

Actually, the EFTA's top slots are higher than the Britax seats The TrueFit's slots are taller still, and it's a little more expensive $150-$180.

CPST & mom

#41 of 47 Old 04-24-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
The 5-point harness, yes. The 3-in-1 seats have that adjustment that slides up and down, and the top setting is just for booster more. In order to use that top setting, you have to take the harness straps out. So, when your child is even with the second-to-top setting, it's outgrown.
Wait wait, I am totally confused. I went and looked in my DHs car, and the seat only has 1 slot for the straps. What thing that slides up and down?

#42 of 47 Old 04-24-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Actually, the EFTA's top slots are higher than the Britax seats The TrueFit's slots are taller still, and it's a little more expensive $150-$180.
The only downside to the EFTA is that it is only rated to 50 lbs. FFing. If you have heavier kids, you might want to look at the TF or the Radian bc they are rated to 65 lbs. FFing.

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#43 of 47 Old 04-24-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Wait wait, I am totally confused. I went and looked in my DHs car, and the seat only has 1 slot for the straps. What thing that slides up and down?
Are you talking about this:
http://www0.epinions.com/review/Even...t_134183620228

or this seat?
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5933974

The second seat only has one slot but the straps slide up and down the slot. Is that what yours looks like?

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#44 of 47 Old 04-24-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Ok, here is a picture of the seat you have.

It only has one "slot" and that slot slides up and down, clicking into different settings for the harness. See those red tabs on either side of the headrest? You squeeze those together, and slide the headrest up to change the harness height. If you slide it up all the way, that's the setting that's for booster mode only. Click it into the next-highest setting, and when the kiddo's shoulders reach that level, the seat is outgrown.

CPST & mom

#45 of 47 Old 04-24-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalamos23 View Post
Are you talking about this:
http://www0.epinions.com/review/Even...t_134183620228

or this seat?
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5933974

The second seat only has one slot but the straps slide up and down the slot. Is that what yours looks like?
Neither--she has a 3-in-1 seat.

CPST & mom

#46 of 47 Old 04-24-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Ok, here is a picture of the seat you have.

It only has one "slot" and that slot slides up and down, clicking into different settings for the harness. See those red tabs on either side of the headrest? You squeeze those together, and slide the headrest up to change the harness height. If you slide it up all the way, that's the setting that's for booster mode only. Click it into the next-highest setting, and when the kiddo's shoulders reach that level, the seat is outgrown.
Ah....i see. Thanks

Well its our extra seat, that DH keeps in his car. We have a Britax in the main car.............but i do see the issues with it. What is the age/weight for a child to be in a booster?

#47 of 47 Old 04-24-2009, 04:46 PM

Four years old and forty pounds is the minimum for booster use

CPST & mom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page