Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
gosh...they are all do expensive!!!

any thoughts on convertible car seats?
#2 of 47 Old 04-21-2009, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
You might want to do some browsing over in the Family Safety forum...but be warned: it's a whole world of research you're getting into!

We got a Radian 65 for dd, and love, love it! It will last for many many years and was totally worth the $. http://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-Kids-.../dp/B000GEC71U (Looks like the price went up: we paid about $190 for ours last year, I believe.)

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

#3 of 47 Old 04-21-2009, 05:57 PM

For DS' transition from the pumpkin car seat to a convertible, we went with the Evenflo Triumph and he used it until he was a few months past being 2 1/2. I got it as a baby shower gift, but I believe the retail price was $119.
#4 of 47 Old 04-21-2009, 07:41 PM

If you are getting it for a new baby, be forewarned that a lot of the seats don't have slots low enough for newborns unless you have a really big baby. You're better off borrowing a bucket car seat that you know the history on (say from a sister or cousin or friend) until the baby hits 12-15 lbs.

That being said, the car-seat.org ladies recommend these convertible car seats because they last the longest and all RF up to 35 lbs.

Britax Marathon -
Cons - one of the more expensive, outgrown the soonest out of this list heightwise
Pros - Lots of cute covers and Britax guarantees their car seats - they had been setting the standards for car seats up until a few years ago when others started catching up.

Radian65 - Cons - very long RFing for younger children until you can tilt it more upright.
Pros - has the highest top slots for straps - great if you have long torsoed or tall kids.
if you are buying for a NB, you can get the Radian 80 - it RF to 35 lbs. FF to 80 lbs (but the majority of kids will outgrow it by height before weight) and the 80 comes with the infant padding. If you are getting it for an older child, I would get the 65 or the XT - the 65 is cheaper, the XT is newer (not sure what they did to improve it as we aren't getting it). The radian is also really narrow which is great if you are trying to puzzle 3 seats in a row.

Learning Curve/The First Years True Fit - Cons - crotch strap is pretty far in even on the farthest away slot - annoying if you cloth diaper.
Pros - Cheap (170ish) and works well in small cars because you can take off the head rest until they are 22 lbs. Has close to the same top slots as the Radian65.

Evenflo Triumph Advance - don't know much on this one, it seems to be 4th in the list of seats that get referred, I think it doesn't have as high of top slots as the others and it only FF to 50 lbs. so it won't last as long. I do know it's cheaper than the others.

FisherPrice Safe Voyage - this is basically a Marathon but it only FF to 55 and RF to 33 lbs. It is a lot cheaper than the Marathon though it has been discontinued so it is harder to find. Albeebaby.com had some a few weeks ago afaik.

Hope that helps!

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#5 of 47 Old 04-21-2009, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving to Family Safety

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#6 of 47 Old 04-21-2009, 08:29 PM

What about even flow triumph?

Its rated 2nd on Consumer reports

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#7 of 47 Old 04-21-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyblackdot View Post
What about even flow triumph?

Its rated 2nd on Consumer reports
The Evenflo Triumph only rearfaces to 30 lbs. and forward faces to 40 lbs. It also has short top strap slots. IMO, you are not going to get your money's worth out of this seat because it will be outgrown in record time.

The Evenflo Triumph Advance is better because it at least rearfaces to 35 lbs. and forward faces to 50. If you have skinny, lightweight kids, this might be an option.

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#8 of 47 Old 04-21-2009, 08:40 PM

As XanaduMama pointed out, the Family Safety forum is an excellent resource here at MDC. (In fact, your post might get moved over there.)

From the research I did, I decided to get a True Fit convertible carseat. The tall shell will allow for more kids to reach the weight limits of the seat. The removeable headrest allows it to take up less space rfing than many others. The nonthreading harness is a plus of the seat. I also think it's a pretty attractive seat. (Hey, I'm going to be looking at it for a bunch of years!)

For a more budet minded seat, I'd consider the Evenflo Triumph Advance. It's not a "cheap" seat but since it's also a tall seat and has higher than 40 lbs ff weight limit, it will be useful for longer. (I wasn't a fan of the chest clip when I looked at it in Babies R Us.)

I discounted the Britax family not because they are not good seats but because of the price and less legroom than the True Fit when doing extended rearfacing (keeping your LO rearfacing beyond the minimum requirements).

Radians I ruled out because of the space they take while rfing. Also I don't really like the look of them (although I've only seen them online).

To add to the con for the FisherPrice Safe Voyage: the fact that it's discontinued means that you are getting a seat with a shorter lifespan. Carseats have expiration dates and since these seats were discontinued a while back, their life is reduced.

Phew, who knew that carseats are so complicated?

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#9 of 47 Old 04-21-2009, 08:48 PM

Personally I don't trust the evenflo brand. Search chicago tribune and carseats to see why.

The true fit is a great seat that's not as expensive as some others.

-Angela
#10 of 47 Old 04-22-2009, 01:14 AM

I dont know why i said that i meant the Cosco Alpha Omega

http://www.babyage.com/products/22-1...campaign=61301

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#11 of 47 Old 04-22-2009, 01:42 AM

Consumer reports is not a good source of carseat info.

-Angela
#12 of 47 Old 04-22-2009, 01:49 AM

I got one(Evenflo Triumph) and loved it but ended up having to get a new one once my daughter neared 30 lbs(came sooner than I anticipated!). I then got the Britax with the headwing things, which RF to 33 lbs. I should have just gotten the Britax in the first place. I know they're expensive, but it's worth it. And there are websites that ship for free.
#13 of 47 Old 04-22-2009, 02:36 AM

I didn't like the Triumph- I thought it was a pain to adjust the straps.
#14 of 47 Old 04-22-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post

-Angela
ditto.

In response to the price of the seat, a higher harnessing seat such as the true fit, sunshine kids radian, or a higher weight britax seat will last almost all kids until at least 5.

Sunshine kids radian $199--about $40/year, or $3/month.
True fit $249--about $50/year, or $4 month
Britax--same as true fit

It seems worth it to me to buy a higher weight seat for a little bit more money, because they're going to last longer. I went through several cheaper seats before I started buying britax, and when it came down to it, I spent a lot more on those seats than if I had just started with a britax.
#15 of 47 Old 04-22-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post

-Angela
Why is that?

#16 of 47 Old 04-22-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelamariebee View Post
I didn't like the Triumph- I thought it was a pain to adjust the straps.
The EFTA, otoh, has infinite adjust straps. Having tried both types of straps, I think all carseat manufacturers should do infinite adjust straps.

My 7.5lb, 20.5" long newborn fit just fine in the EFTA, and the straps weren't even at the lowest possible setting.

A very tiny baby might need an infant seat, but at least for us we had several non-expired, never in a crash, infant seats offered to us. We just told people we were getting the convertible seat installed and would call them up if the baby was too small for the convertible.
#17 of 47 Old 04-22-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Why is that?
Because they give price too much weight compared to safety.
#18 of 47 Old 04-22-2009, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheartedmama View Post
ditto.

In response to the price of the seat, a higher harnessing seat such as the true fit, sunshine kids radian, or a higher weight britax seat will last almost all kids until at least 5.

Sunshine kids radian $199--about $40/year, or $3/month.
Britax--same as true fit

It seems worth it to me to buy a higher weight seat for a little bit more money, because they're going to last longer. I went through several cheaper seats before I started buying britax, and when it came down to it, I spent a lot more on those seats than if I had just started with a britax.
Amazon has several true fits for $185 or so now (or they did recently). So you can get them cheaper than $249.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#19 of 47 Old 04-22-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
:

AND their safety data is unreliable as it is not released and can not be duplicated. The last round they withdrew the whole thing because it was so flawed.

-Angela
#20 of 47 Old 04-22-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post
Amazon has several true fits for $185 or so now (or they did recently). So you can get them cheaper than $249.
Um, they are $179 at Target

CPST & mom

#21 of 47 Old 04-22-2009, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
Um, they are $179 at Target
Ours hasn't had them in stock forever.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#22 of 47 Old 04-22-2009, 05:52 PM

Our Target still stocks them, for $199, but everything is more expensive here. The Nauti is $219 and the one time I saw the Uptown it was $169.

CPST & mom

#23 of 47 Old 04-22-2009, 07:51 PM

Online is totally the way to go!! Once you know what you want/what works, with a little patience you can save $$ for sure. I got a Marathon online for $179 a couple of months ago

Mother to R- 2/09, & C- 5/11

#24 of 47 Old 04-22-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
CosumerReports.org?

There is nothing on it about price at all.

#25 of 47 Old 04-22-2009, 10:40 PM

Online for sure. My Target has a TF on the shelf with a date of manufactor of 4/08: already a year of use lost. Of course I'm also a tad annoyed about the lack of a demo seat there.

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#26 of 47 Old 04-22-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
CosumerReports.org?

There is nothing on it about price at all.
Yep, they take points away for price. They also did that horrible study a couple years ago that got retracted days later. The ratings are ridiculous--they rate the Triumph and the 3-in-1 seats higher than the Marathon, when both will be outgrown by height MUCH sooner than the MA. They also rate the Roundabout really high which is ridiculous since it is outgrown so early as well. They really need to take into consideration the longevity of a seat--the weight limits and the top strap heights--instead of just "hey this one is cheap and it looks cool".

CPST & mom

#27 of 47 Old 04-22-2009, 11:32 PM

Hm...well im looking at it right now, and it shows the prices of the seats, but it they are put in 1st-5th because of their crash testing outcomes aswell as the ease of use of the seats and the fit to vehicles. The ratings are not which seat is the best one for my money, its which has the best safty features, with the least likley to be misused. There is nothing on there about the way it looks.

Do you have a membership there? Because that is how you get all of the real comparison charts.

So where do you get your information from? I have always gone to consumer reports, i have googles car seat safty a billion times and it always seems to be the only place that comes up,

#28 of 47 Old 04-22-2009, 11:36 PM

Their "crash testing" is extremely unreliable.

I don't have a membership, because their reports are worthless, but I have seen them.

The only testing that car seats undergo are from the manufacturers themselves, and random spot testing from NHTSA. Either they pass, and are available for sale to the public, or they fail and aren't released. There is no way of knowing the crash test results since only one company (Sunshine Kids) releases that data. That's why when people say one seat has "better crash test results" it's a bunch of hooey, since they ALL undergo the same test, on a pass/fail scale.

CPST & mom

#29 of 47 Old 04-22-2009, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheartedmama View Post
Britax--same as true fit
Never seen a True Fit that pricey; Amazon has them for $160-189 (depending on color) right now. "List price" is $189 there.

The Britax Marathon is actually more like $280 unless you get it on sale, and the Boulevard is even more. I love my Britax seats (we own three in total; two Marathons and a Frontier) but it's really hard to argue for them over the True Fit, especially considering the price (the True Fit will also fit much taller kids, and has a longer lifespan).
#30 of 47 Old 04-22-2009, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironica View Post
Never seen a True Fit that pricey; Amazon has them for $160-189 (depending on color) right now. "List price" is $189 there.

The Britax Marathon is actually more like $280 unless you get it on sale, and the Boulevard is even more. I love my Britax seats (we own three in total; two Marathons and a Frontier) but it's really hard to argue for them over the True Fit, especially considering the price (the True Fit will also fit much taller kids, and has a longer lifespan).
I had a True Fit for 1 day and i returned it for my Britax. They have these weird tabs on the straps that dug into my dds shoulders! I guess they are there so you dont have to relace the straps to make them taller, but i found them super uncomfortable, pluss here in Texas in the summers, boiling hot plastic tabs touching my dds skin would equal alot of screaming and unnecessary drama. But my sister and my mom use them and love them.

But if you are looking for something reasonably priced i do like my Cosco Alpha Omega seat aswell.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page