Concerned about seatbelt failure & carseats - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-29-2009, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our neighbor recently flipped his older car while riding with his almost-1 yr old and almost-2 yr old. The younger boy was fine, but the older boy's seatbelt failed. His carseat came loose and he ended up with stitches in his head. Fortunately, everyone is okay aside from the stitches, but I don't like what I have heard about seatbelts and their propensity to fail.

We have a '97 Camry that does not come with the tether brackets. I know you can buy the parts and install the brackets after-market, but is this still safer than relying on seatbelts?
#2 of 6 Old 04-29-2009, 04:54 PM

You could try bringing in your Toyota to a reputable dealership and have the seat belts checked out. I am sure that a qualified technician could install the brackets, as well.

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

#3 of 6 Old 04-29-2009, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
You cannot retrofit lower anchors (I think there is maybe one type of brand that will do this). You can add upper tethers.

Seatbelt failure is EXTREMELY rare either way.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#4 of 6 Old 04-29-2009, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Lower anchors cannot be added to a 1997 Camry.

I do not mean this in a blaming way, but user error is far far more common than true seatbelt failure. Have your belts inspected at a dealership and meet with a CPST to make sure they are installed properly.

Everyone over 48# (with rare exceptions) relies on seatbelts for safety. They're extremely safe.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#5 of 6 Old 04-29-2009, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post
Lower anchors cannot be added to a 1997 Camry.

I do not mean this in a blaming way, but user error is far far more common than true seatbelt failure. Have your belts inspected at a dealership and meet with a CPST to make sure they are installed properly.

Everyone over 48# (with rare exceptions) relies on seatbelts for safety. They're extremely safe.
Yes, the hardware we saw online was for upper tethers (if that's even the proper term for it). I didn't realize that boosters, etc. all relied on seatbelts.
#6 of 6 Old 04-29-2009, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The upper tether definitely makes ffing seats safer when driving, but it's going to do little to keep the seat in place if the belt fails. It might keep it in the car, but it's going to bounce around, kwim?

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page