An 11 year old in a Britax REGENT????? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 05-19-2009, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SO I was perusing my local Craigs List yesterday morning, and I noticed an ad for 2 new Britax Regents. The woman had purchased the seats without taking her ELEVEN year old child with her. When she got the seats home she realized that the boy was too tall for the seats (among other issues I'm sure).

Anyway, it sounded completely nuts to me that someone would consider putting their Middle School aged child in a Regent. Am I missing something here? Aren't most kids way to big for the Regent by 11?? And wouldn't it be a little humiliating for them since no other kids would be in a harness car seat?
I am considering moving my 6 year old to a booster....I can't imagine harnessing him for another 5 years.
#2 of 39 Old 05-19-2009, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Some 11-year-olds would fit. IMO/IME, 11yos who are physically and developmentally typical do not need to be harnessed.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#3 of 39 Old 05-19-2009, 06:14 PM

If they could fit in it - I would have them in it. I do think it says 'average age up to 11 years' or something like that. I was not yet 80lbs at 11 years of age myself! (skinny bean I was hehe)... I think I finally got to 80lbs at 12 years of age.

Anyroad - safety over worrying about what they look like?... Ill take safety!

I am sure my DS will reach 80lbs way before 11 though lmao...unless he slows down anytime soon

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#4 of 39 Old 05-19-2009, 06:22 PM

I'd think perhaps the child was special needs or something, but then it would be unlikely that they would just be moving to a harnessed seat now. Perhaps just someone made paranoid by the David Kyle ****** video?

I guess if I just had lap belts in the back, I would keep the kid harnessed as long as possible - even to eleven or longer, if the kid still fit - then do whatever I had to to get a new car rather than put a child in just a lap belt.

My five year old recently moved to a booster since she is now over forty pounds and mature enough to sit properly in one the entire ride for every ride and not mess with the buckle or anything. Under normal circumstances, I can't imgaine making an eleven year old ride in a harnessed seat either.

ETA: I am a big believer in extended rearfacing because there is substantial evidence of a significant safety benefit. But extended harnessing forward facing is a bit more controversial, and I wouldn't force an older kid into it on the basis that it maybe might possibly be a little bit safer.
#5 of 39 Old 05-19-2009, 10:51 PM

My eight year old still fits (barely) in a Regent. He's never once complained about it. For me maturity is only part of it. Being harnessed is safer, I've told him that and he's fine with it. I never felt the need to change to a less safe booster simply because of what other people might think.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#6 of 39 Old 05-19-2009, 10:59 PM

Makes me wonder if the seats were stolen. Why not just take them back if they didn't fit, you know? I took back two seats to TRU because they didn't fit in the car properly.

Equuskia in with Nodtveidt DD1 : DD2 :
#7 of 39 Old 05-19-2009, 11:11 PM

My ds is 5 1/2 and fits in his Regent with tons of room to grow. He'll fit in it for a long time. He'll stay in it as long as he fits in it, even if he is 11. Does it make me paranoid? Nope. It's just how I choose to parent. Just like I wouldn't call the person earlier in the thread who chose to move their 5 year old to a booster any names.... that's how they choose to parent. Which, in this case, is completely different than how I choose to

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#8 of 39 Old 05-19-2009, 11:47 PM

My ds is growth hormone deficient(he is on HGH treatments for it). He is 12 and at his last check up with the pediatric endocrinologist, he weighed 59 lbs and was 52 inches tall. He's grown 4 inches since starting the treatment over a year ago. HUGE for him. But I digress...LOL My main point is that yes, there are 11 year olds out there that could fit into a Regent.
#9 of 39 Old 05-20-2009, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Well I guess that I am coming from the standpoint that I was a C-cup and had started my period when I was 11. I cannot imagine riding to school in a car seat with a 5 point restraint in junior high.

I can understand special needs kids, but for average kids? I would never...unless it was somewhat common. I think it would be humiliating for the child.

I guess I almost view this as safety vs. emotional well being. And for me emotional well being would trump. But I could be way off base here...maybe there are 6th graders that would have no problem with it. I certainly wasn't one of them.
#10 of 39 Old 05-20-2009, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaJunkie View Post
My ds is growth hormone deficient(he is on HGH treatments for it). He is 12 and at his last check up with the pediatric endocrinologist, he weighed 59 lbs and was 52 inches tall. He's grown 4 inches since starting the treatment over a year ago. HUGE for him. But I digress...LOL My main point is that yes, there are 11 year olds out there that could fit into a Regent.
Oh my!! I am glad to hear that his treatment is helping him. 4 inches in a year? you must be going broke buying clothes!!
#11 of 39 Old 05-20-2009, 01:01 PM

My 10 year old fits in the harness of a Nautilus. He's still in a booster seat and probably will be for another 3+ years.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#12 of 39 Old 05-20-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubfam View Post
I can understand special needs kids, but for average kids? I would never...unless it was somewhat common. I think it would be humiliating for the child.

I guess I almost view this as safety vs. emotional well being. And for me emotional well being would trump. But I could be way off base here...maybe there are 6th graders that would have no problem with it. I certainly wasn't one of them.
But... if your argument against is appearances and what everyone else is doing, then it's not going to become commonplace until people start doing it...

Same thing could have been said about seat belts not so very long ago.

Personally, I'm still researching the added safety of harnessing. It does appear to be less clear-cut than rear facing. BUT if it's clearly significantly safer, you bet your bottom dollar that I'll keep my kids harnessed as long as possible

-Angela
#13 of 39 Old 05-20-2009, 01:31 PM

I just could not imagine an 11 year old in a car seat......but I have a 5'2" 11 year old that is 78lbs....... From the ages of 13 to 21 I was 5'7" and went from 97lbs to 109lbs. I got pregnant and all my bad eating habits caught up.

My son is 14 and 6' 1" (maybe more now) tall.....so I really do have a different perspective on legnth/hieghts of ages. Weights are messed up also. My kids were in the 90 plus percentile for hieght and 5 perenctile or less.
#14 of 39 Old 05-20-2009, 07:15 PM

Yeah, that sounds pretty crazy. I think there is no evidence children are safer in a 5pt harness after 4 years old (provided they are mature enough to sit properly) and actually speculation a 5pt harness is less safe for bigger kids.
#15 of 39 Old 05-20-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
This came up for us this year. DD is in 5th grade. She is about 57-58" and 74-75 lbs. She is not in a booster. Personally, I feel she is safer out of the booster, but that isn't the point.

I was driving for a fieldtrip and they wanted me to say that I would have any child in my car that was under 8 OR under 80 lbs in a car seat/booster. I talked to the teacher about the fact I was not comfortable enforcing that with 11 year olds, most of whom had been out of carseats for 5 years (DD was the last person in her class in a carseat and she took it with her in 3rd grade on fieldtrips, she didn't in 4th). I would say that at least 1/3 of her class is under 80 lbs, and at least half are under 4'9" (since she is just over and is in the tallest third). Anyway, I ended up crossing out the "OR under 80 lbs" part and not having the kids sit in boosters.

#16 of 39 Old 05-20-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephandOwen View Post
My ds is 5 1/2 and fits in his Regent with tons of room to grow. He'll fit in it for a long time. He'll stay in it as long as he fits in it, even if he is 11. Does it make me paranoid? Nope. It's just how I choose to parent. Just like I wouldn't call the person earlier in the thread who chose to move their 5 year old to a booster any names.... that's how they choose to parent. Which, in this case, is completely different than how I choose to
Ditto, except my oldest is 6 1/2. He and my 4 1/2 year old dd are in Regents. My 22 1/2 month old is still rear-facing.

My kids have absolutely no problem with being in carseats. In fact, they prefer it.

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#17 of 39 Old 05-20-2009, 08:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well I guess that I am coming from the standpoint that I was a C-cup and had started my period when I was 11. I cannot imagine riding to school in a car seat with a 5 point restraint in junior high.

Wow I agree 100%. I would have died from humiliation, nevermind car accident.
#18 of 39 Old 05-20-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:

I guess I almost view this as safety vs. emotional well being. And for me emotional well being would trump.
But I could be way off base here...maybe there are 6th graders that would have no problem with it. I certainly wasn't one of them.

I agree.

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

#19 of 39 Old 05-20-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Oh my!! I am glad to hear that his treatment is helping him. 4 inches in a year? you must be going broke buying clothes!!
It has been pretty amazing. At the beginning of 5th grade, he was still wearing size 6s. Now he's in size 10! I'm betting by the beginning of school next year(7th grade), he'll be in a size 12. I am so not used to having him grow out of clothes. LOL Or shoes. He could always wear a pair of shoes until they were completely falling apart, which was good, because he has XXW feet. His shoes are pricey. He's always been on the small side...never higher than 5-10% for height. But around 3-4th grade he just completely fell off the chart. Waaaay off.

To stay on topic, he is in a backless BPB now. I had him in a harness until he was 8 or 9. Then I let him have a BPB with a back. Now we do a backless...no one can tell he's in a carseat. He's very prone to carsickness, so sitting up and being able to see out better helps with that. He tolerates the BBPB.
#20 of 39 Old 05-20-2009, 10:02 PM

My smallish 7yo still fits in her Nautilus harness, and she'd probably fit in a Regent for three more years yet -- but I'll likely be moving her to a good highbacked booster full-time this summer. I don't think there's anything WRONG with harnessing a child of 7/8/9/10/11/etc. if they are okay with it, but I also think that a good booster is a perfectly safe and appropriate choice (for a child of typical size and development) and harnessing is not necessary at that age.

#21 of 39 Old 05-20-2009, 10:20 PM

Okay- first disclaimer is that the jury is still out on if/how much safer harnessed is vs boostered. That said.

There was a time, especially in certain circles, that it was totally "uncool" to wear a seatbelt.

Would those of you arguing that emotional well-being trumps safety at a point, have forced a teen to wear a seatbelt? 'Cause I sure would have...

rather an uncool live kid than a cool dead one.

-Angela
#22 of 39 Old 05-20-2009, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrox View Post
Yeah, that sounds pretty crazy. I think there is no evidence children are safer in a 5pt harness after 4 years old (provided they are mature enough to sit properly) and actually speculation a 5pt harness is less safe for bigger kids.
ITA. I don't see any reason an 11 yo needs to be in a harness unless there are special needs. I have no issue with an 11 yo who doesn't pass the 5 point test being in a booster, however.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#23 of 39 Old 05-20-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Okay- first disclaimer is that the jury is still out on if/how much safer harnessed is vs boostered. That said.

There was a time, especially in certain circles, that it was totally "uncool" to wear a seatbelt.

Would those of you arguing that emotional well-being trumps safety at a point, have forced a teen to wear a seatbelt? 'Cause I sure would have...

rather an uncool live kid than a cool dead one.

-Angela
I would force an 11yo to wear a seatbelt or sit in a backless booster if she didn't fit in the seatbelt properly, and I would force a 3yo to remain harnessed even if she met the minimum for booster usage, but I would give the preference of a 7yo (of typical size and maturity and development, blah blah blah) some weight when choosing between booster and harness.

#24 of 39 Old 05-20-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:

I agree with this. Since the 'additional safety' is very much questionable to having an 11 year old in a 5 point harness, the child is of an age to have their desires balanced with the parent's knowledge of what may be safer in the car.

Also, at 11, I simply would not have done it. Just would have refused to get in the seat. It goes beyond 'uncool' and verges on the parent's paranoia overwhelming their common sense.

Mother to R- 2/09, & C- 5/11

#25 of 39 Old 05-20-2009, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeminijad View Post
It goes beyond 'uncool' and verges on the parent's paranoia overwhelming their common sense.
I'm not so sure. The jury is still out on the increased safety of harnessing. There was a time that people gave the same argument about seatbelts...

-Angela
#26 of 39 Old 05-20-2009, 11:47 PM

Where do you draw the line though? There *are* kids out there who are still under 4'9" & under 80 lbs at not just 11, but at 13, 14, 15... If you throw special needs seats in the mix, there are many adults who could still be harnessed. Is it any less safe for an 11 year old to be in a booster or regular seatbelt (if it fits) than a 20 year old? I think eventually you have to accept that there is risk with simply using a car and accept that.

I'm not opposed to anyone having their child in a harnessed seat. I think that DD might even be more comfortable on long trips, though I'm not positive of that. For me, though, the increased risk of DD riding in a seat belt is one I am willing to take.

#27 of 39 Old 05-20-2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post
Where do you draw the line though? There *are* kids out there who are still under 4'9" & under 80 lbs at not just 11, but at 13, 14, 15... If you throw special needs seats in the mix, there are many adults who could still be harnessed. Is it any less safe for an 11 year old to be in a booster or regular seatbelt (if it fits) than a 20 year old? I think eventually you have to accept that there is risk with simply using a car and accept that.
Actually, yes. Adults' hipbones are shaped differently than kids' (I don't feel well so please pardon the nontechnical explanation) and that structure helps keep the lap belt positioned properly on even a very small adult. Small kids need extra help from a booster, even a backless one.

#28 of 39 Old 05-21-2009, 12:06 AM

i agree with alegna. there is nothing inherently demeaning about a harnessed seat. hell, i'd sit in a harnessed car seat if that's "what people did." (and it might be in 50 years--who knows? these things aren't set in stone.)

you should do whatever available option is safest for YOUR child, period. if my 11 year old fit in a harnessed seat, which was shown to be safer, she would be sitting in that seat.

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
#29 of 39 Old 05-21-2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post
...think eventually you have to accept that there is risk with simply using a car and accept that.

totally agree. cars really aren't the safest way to get around and sadly there are serious risks to using cars, but overall our society has basically said we are willing to take those risks, we are a car driving culture.
#30 of 39 Old 05-21-2009, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post
Actually, yes. Adults' hipbones are shaped differently than kids' (I don't feel well so please pardon the nontechnical explanation) and that structure helps keep the lap belt positioned properly on even a very small adult. Small kids need extra help from a booster, even a backless one.
I'm not sure how this applies to my statement. Are you suggesting that we should have an absolute age guideline? Or...? I think the working assumption is that the child does pass the 5 step test and is sitting safely in the seat belt. If the child actually cannot sit correctly in a seatbelt then another solution needs to be found.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page