Rear Facing Under 4 Years Old - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 06-16-2009, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalamos23 View Post
There is no way in hell my kid will make it to 4 - she's just too big and tall. I REALLY hope that they will come out with heigher weight limit seats with tall shells - I know the MyRide is out there, but she's getting close to outgrowing the Marathon by height, so I don't think she will last too much longer in the MR65 by height. She was 30 lbs. when I last checked at 10mo... so yeah.
Holy cow! She must be a very long torsoed kid!

My 4 year old daughter is not short (she's in the 71st percentile for height) with an average sized torso for her age, and she still would have a little room to grow heightwise rear-facing in the Marathon if she hadn't outgrown it by weight.

Hopefully, the rumors that Sunshine Kids is going to test the Radian to 40 pounds will turn out to be true (although they've been talking about it for years, so who knows). That would be good for kids with long torsoes like your daughter.
#32 of 47 Old 06-17-2009, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyS View Post
Kids have to be pretty small to rearface that long.

My 33 month old isn't that big of a kid. But, with clothes on, he's 39 pounds. So, he can't rearface in any seat.
actually, that's pretty big, a 33 month old boy that's 37lbs is like 95th percentileish, 39lbs is 97th%. For a girl 39lbs is off the charts.

Jillian wife to Ryan and mommy to Janelle Ashlynn (9/09/2002), Kincaid Chance (3/29/2004), Travis Neil (8/13/2007) and River Anderson (5/02/2009).
#33 of 47 Old 06-17-2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Kids have to be pretty small to rearface that long.

My 33 month old isn't that big of a kid. But, with clothes on, he's 39 pounds. So, he can't rearface in any seat.
Actually, unless he is too tall, he could RF in the Graco MyRide 65 - it is a new seat and RFs to 40 lbs.

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#34 of 47 Old 06-17-2009, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommybree View Post
Holy cow! She must be a very long torsoed kid!

My 4 year old daughter is not short (she's in the 71st percentile for height) with an average sized torso for her age, and she still would have a little room to grow heightwise rear-facing in the Marathon if she hadn't outgrown it by weight.

Hopefully, the rumors that Sunshine Kids is going to test the Radian to 40 pounds will turn out to be true (although they've been talking about it for years, so who knows). That would be good for kids with long torsoes like your daughter.
Yeah, she's not only tall, it's all in her torso. Ugh. I'm SO hoping she will sprout legs any day now and slow down on the torso growth (and overall weight gain while she's at it!).

DH and I are both tall, so she really had no chance

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#35 of 47 Old 06-17-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalamos23 View Post
Actually, unless he is too tall, he could RF in the Graco MyRide 65 - it is a new seat and RFs to 40 lbs.
In my case, that only buys me one pound. And, I know that around here, folks are always like "well, with a toddler, one pound could be 6 months..." But, that's not my experience. He usually holds steady at a weight for about 6-8 weeks, then jumps 1-2 pounds. So, for us, it's not worth it.
#36 of 47 Old 06-17-2009, 05:23 PM

Cadence was RF untill her 4th birthday. She is a petite girl and still fits in the same carseat FF but not RF bc of the wieght limit.

My name is Lindsay I am a full time wife to Nick 10-21-08 and full time mommy to Cadence, Irie and Isis

#37 of 47 Old 06-17-2009, 06:58 PM

Many kids outgrow seats by hight before weight. Parents who like to rear face longer than otherwise possible usually use the Swedish rear facing car seats. With a rear facing weight of 55 lbs and high seat shells there is no problem rear facing almost any kid to at least 4 years of age which is the norm and recommendation in Sweden.

Using a Britax Two-Way or Britax Multi Tech means rear facing to 4-5 without trying hard.

CarSeat.se - Rear Facing Car Seats ⢠55 lbs Rear Facing Car Seats
Annika: 3.5 years RF Britax Hi-Way ⢠Daniel: 6 years FF Britax Adventure
#38 of 47 Old 06-17-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventuredad View Post
Many kids outgrow seats by hight before weight. Parents who like to rear face longer than otherwise possible usually use the Swedish rear facing car seats. With a rear facing weight of 55 lbs and high seat shells there is no problem rear facing almost any kid to at least 4 years of age which is the norm and recommendation in Sweden.

Using a Britax Two-Way or Britax Multi Tech means rear facing to 4-5 without trying hard.
what are the shell heights like? when we were looking to keep my son rf longer a couple years ago the shell heights were either the same as or close to seats available here (not that it matters now - he is 4 years old and very tall torsoed so i doubt he would fit in one regardless - and my other kids are all rf).

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14
#39 of 47 Old 06-17-2009, 07:45 PM

Shell height depends a bit on the seat. Standard is 57 cm (23 inches) which is from inside seat to top of seat shell. But Multi TEch has an expandable seat shell which is 68 cm (27 inches). Also keep in mind that the "1-inch rule " does not apply to Swedish seats.

Most US seats require 1 inch of space above head to top of seat shell. Swedish seats allow tip of ears to be at top of seat shell before changing seat. that means about a third of the head can be above seat shell. This alone makes a large difference in rear facing time. Seats are of course tested and certified this way.

Multi Tech can handle a 18 inch torso which means most kids can sit Rf to age 5 if they want to. Most other Swedish seats handle a 16 inch torso.

One good thing is that seats can be used in regular or smaller cars despite keeping kids rf to age 4+

CarSeat.se - Rear Facing Car Seats ⢠55 lbs Rear Facing Car Seats
Annika: 3.5 years RF Britax Hi-Way ⢠Daniel: 6 years FF Britax Adventure
#40 of 47 Old 06-17-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja-belly View Post
what are the shell heights like? when we were looking to keep my son rf longer a couple years ago the shell heights were either the same as or close to seats available here (not that it matters now - he is 4 years old and very tall torsoed so i doubt he would fit in one regardless - and my other kids are all rf).
I was reading that one of them had a shell height that extended to 27" which is comparable to the radian and true fit, but the swedish seat allows for the head to go over the top, which buys you another 3 or 4 inches.
#41 of 47 Old 06-17-2009, 11:49 PM

DS1 could have RF'd to 35 lbs. easily in the TrueFit, and he didn't hit that weight until sometime well into his fourth year at least. DS2 has had a gentler growth curve, so I expect him to RF past age 3 at a minimum, since we have a TrueFit for him when his hand-me-down Marathon expires.
#42 of 47 Old 06-18-2009, 03:22 AM

Quote:
In my case, that only buys me one pound. And, I know that around here, folks are always like "well, with a toddler, one pound could be 6 months..." But, that's not my experience. He usually holds steady at a weight for about 6-8 weeks, then jumps 1-2 pounds. So, for us, it's not worth it.
I agree, for you it's not worth it - I just wanted to put it out there that there IS a seat that RFs to 40 lbs. just in case someone else has a kid like mine that is young and hefty - you had said there were no seats out there.

#43 of 47 Old 06-18-2009, 03:44 AM

Wow.. my daughter is already to big to be rear facing at 2 1/2, she weights 36 lbs.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#44 of 47 Old 06-18-2009, 10:59 AM

Admittedly I have not read this entire thread but I have a sincere question. I am not trying to question the safety of RF so please don't flame me for asking but in one of the pictures I saw on this thread of an older toddler RF her legs seemed pushed back in sort of a frog position. My question is, wouldn't this get uncomfortable, particularly during long car rides?
#45 of 47 Old 06-18-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwen's mom View Post
Admittedly I have not read this entire thread but I have a sincere question. I am not trying to question the safety of RF so please don't flame me for asking but in one of the pictures I saw on this thread of an older toddler RF her legs seemed pushed back in sort of a frog position. My question is, wouldn't this get uncomfortable, particularly during long car rides?
Toddlers and little kids are very flexible. It's not uncomfortable at all.

Ever seen them suck on their own toes?

-Angela
#46 of 47 Old 06-18-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiMom View Post
Wow.. my daughter is already to big to be rear facing at 2 1/2, she weights 36 lbs.
Actually there is a 40 lb. RF weight limit car seat out that just came out a few weeks ago - the Graco MyRide65 - retails for 150-170ish. So technically, you could RF her for 4 more lbs if you wanted.

#47 of 47 Old 06-18-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwen's mom View Post

Some car seats have more leg room rear-facing than others. The britax convertibles have very little room. The myride has tons of room. Even in a britax, the kids just cross them, fling them over the sides, or put them on the seat back.

This is my 4 1/2 year old, 42", and 40 lb DS in the MyRide installed on the babies'r'us test bench. He's a bit too big to ride in it (head is too close to the top and he's at the weight limit) but he has plenty of room for his legs.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...ats/myride.jpg

My son is forward facing now and he still crosses his legs because if they hang in front of him too long, they fall asleep. So I think rf'ing is probably more comfortable for their legs.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page