What is the safest infamt seat? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-15-2009, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone-

A friend of mine is struggling with what carseat to buy for her next babe.

Does anyone have any input on what the safest infant seat is.

I read around the forum and saw the new infant britax. That looks wonderful but I'm also hearing a lot about a new brand to me-True fit.

I think my friend would probably lean towards a bucket seat because her first slept a lot in his. However if something was safer, she'd probably want to hear about that to.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2009, 11:05 PM

I looooove the new Britax too!

The First Years TrueFit is a convertible seat it fits newborns pretty well, so does the SunshineKids Radian.

But if she wants an infant seat, all seats pass the same crash testing so no seat is necessarily "safer" than any other.

The new Britax is nice. A lot of people like the Chicco Keyfit 30 and the Snugride 32 (which is replacing the Safeseat1). These all have somewhat higher rear-facing limits (30-32lbs instead of 20-22). I think a lot of people like the BabyTrend Flex-loc for a narrower choice but I think it's just to 22lbs.

HTH! I don't know much about infant seats--we skipped it this time around and went straight to a Radian from birth so I'm out of the infant-seat-loop!

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

Old 06-15-2009, 11:30 PM

I'd ask first what her biggest deciding factor is: longevity? price? convenience? 'latest & greatest' safety features?

CPST & mom

Old 06-16-2009, 02:05 AM

The best carseat:
1. fits the child
2. fits the car properly
3. is used correctly 100% of the time.

All seats are equally safe, if they are used right!

I have the truefit and love it, I wish I had it from day 1 (we had a craigslist, expired bucket seat when ds was a newborn, BEFORE I became a tech and knew better!)
Old 06-16-2009, 02:12 AM

I LOVED having a bucket when DS was just a babe- it was so convenient to be able to carry him around in it when he fell asleep in it. You just can't do that with a convertible seat (like the True Fit).

We had the Chicco KeyFit 30 and thought it was great. A breeze to install, and easy to get DS in-and-out of the seat, and easy to get the seat in-and-out of the car. DS is also a tall kid (95% for length) and he was able to stay in the bucket for 9 months. It got heavy, sure, but I never thought it was TOO heavy. No regrets whatsoever, and I actually miss the bucket many days.

Your friend really needs to decide first whether she wants to get a bucket at all, or just skip that step and go straight to a convertible. That's the big decision before you start looking at specific brands and models.

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:58 AM

IDK, but I picked up a babytrend flexloc for $50 a month or so ago brand new and am pretty happy with that. It has pretty good reviews and certainly looks nice. An as I'm not expecting DS2 to be in it for very long (I moved DS1 out of his bucket ~7 months or so), the weight didn't/doesn't bother me.

User Tag List