Forum Jump: 

#91 of 108 Old 06-18-2009, 01:56 AM
2xy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy5386 View Post
how do all you non-babyproofers take a shower??
Most of the time I showered before they woke up or after they went to sleep.
#92 of 108 Old 06-18-2009, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy5386 View Post
how do all you non-babyproofers take a shower??
When they were babies, they usually came in the bathroom with me and play there. They still do, to some degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmomma View Post
this sounds like the pearls... house-proofing a baby.
Hey now, that's not a nice thing to say. I never used the term "houseproof a baby" because I don't think such a thing *really* exists to that strong of a definition - but I imagine the Mamas who did use that term aren't slapping their babies every time they go near an outlet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubarbarin View Post
Personally I am lazy and would rather be able to turn my (future) kids loose and not have to supervise everything. Currently I have two cats and two dogs in a two-room apartment.. it's pretty well 'proofed' for anything at this point! At least infants can't leap to the top of the refrigerator (and the bookshelves.. and on top of the curtains..)!
I guess i really don't feel that my kids are under tight rein or that I'm "supervising" per se. I'm simply in the same room as them. I can still do the dishes, cook, clean, etc. They are at the age now where I'm not worried about outlets. The only things my kids can get in trouble with are 1) sharp pointy things like knifes 2) medications 3) chemicals. We barely have 2 & 3 in this house, and they are all in the same room, which the kids never go to unless I'm there. Like i said, maybe its the open concept of our home - i can see and hear anything from anywhere in this house.

Here's an analogy: Does everyone remember the argument against cosleeping due to cosleeping and SIDS statistic? And how our (i.e. typical MDCer) can blow that argument out of the water by saying those cosleeping stats include the "drunk uncle on a couch" scenario for cosleeping? Thats how I feel about a lot of these "unchildproofed homes cause deaths" stats. I grew up knowing about A LOT of childhood accidents from unchildproofed homes, but then, I also grew up knowing a lot of childhoods that involved their mom sitting on the porch having a beer with the neighbours while the kids and their friends were running through the house and only being checked in on every 20 mins or do.
#93 of 108 Old 06-18-2009, 07:32 AM

We don't go crazy with it, but we do somethings. We cover outlets, basically just because I'd rather cover them and not worry than having to say "no" or redirect all the time. We lock up meds, and dangerous/toxic cleaners, I'm not willing to take the risk.
And we have security-thingys on the windows because the kids will actually die if they fall out.
Works nicely for all of us.

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#94 of 108 Old 06-18-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrogirl View Post
here's an analogy: Does everyone remember the argument against cosleeping due to cosleeping and sids statistic? And how our (i.e. Typical mdcer) can blow that argument out of the water by saying those cosleeping stats include the "drunk uncle on a couch" scenario for cosleeping? Thats how i feel about a lot of these "unchildproofed homes cause deaths" stats. I grew up knowing about a lot of childhood accidents from unchildproofed homes, but then, i also grew up knowing a lot of childhoods that involved their mom sitting on the porch having a beer with the neighbours while the kids and their friends were running through the house and only being checked in on every 20 mins or do.
yes!!!

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::
#95 of 108 Old 06-18-2009, 02:50 PM

Eep! I hope no one's getting the feeling that anyone thinks they aren't watching their kids! Or that there's any belief that anyone in this thread is using Pearl-esque methods to get certain effects.

I think we probably all provide about the same amount of supervision (well, relative to age, I bet I supervise more than a mom of a 4 year old ), it's just what we need to do in order to only supervise that much that's the difference. Likewise, we probably all say "no" and redirect about the same amount, but we have different ways of arranging our homes to achieve that result for our own kids.
#96 of 108 Old 06-18-2009, 03:26 PM

I was not much of a babyproofer. I found most of the devices annoying and more trouble than they were worth.

I'll never forget visiting my brother and waking up early in the morning, needing a glass of water and being totally unable to figure out how to open the cabinets! I didn't want to wake my brother or sil, so I ended up drinking out of the faucet! (Turns out that the cabinets had some sort of magnet lock and you had to put another magnet on top of the door to open it).

Anyway, maybe my kids were just profundly uncurious or I was lucky or whatever. The worst thing my oldest did was dump out a box of cereal. It did not bother me if she took all my Tupperware or pots out of the cabinet and as a SAHM of one, it was pretty easy to keep an eye on her all the time.

When my second was born my oldest was five and in school, so again, I didn't have a lot of distractions while spending time with the baby.

As for showering - I did that in the morning before they woke up. And I did cleaning and other messy jobs while they napped or while their father was there to watch them.

My youngest is a little more of a "troublemaker". The other two never used their crayons for anything but paper, but my youngest drew all over our books and furniture, stuff like that. She is obsessed with cleaning supplies, but because she wants to use them not because she wants to eat them.

I still haven't locked anything up though. Messy things like glue or Moon Sand get put out of reach when they are not being used; that's about it.
#97 of 108 Old 06-18-2009, 03:42 PM

I'm not much of a "baby-proofer" either. We don't use a gate for the stairs, have any cabinet locks, or covers for the outlets. My kids can scale a gate in 2 seconds, figure out cabinet locks of any kind, and pull the covers off outlets easily... so, none of the above would help much anyway.

They do get into everything, so it's not that I have super mellow kids. But common sense like knives up on the counter so the 2 yo (the only one who wouldn't quite yet understand their danger) can't get to them easily. Alcohol is out of reach. There are not toxic cleaners inside my home, so it's not a concern, we don't have medications besides advil/tylenol which are up high and of course have hard to open lids.

I know I'm repeating many others but I just haven't had a need to baby/child proof to any extreme -- just the normal stuff. Oh, our security system happens to be programmed that a chime dings anytime a door or window is opened, so that is nice to be more aware when one of the kids is trying to get out. But really, we live in a pretty rural area and the (non busy) dirt road is a long ways down the driveway. I think it just depends on the set-up of your home, your children's personalities, what kind of dangers lurk inside, and your overall comfort level.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#98 of 108 Old 06-18-2009, 03:59 PM

We did babyproof cabinets and drawers because there is a limited amount of places that we can put things. Oh, and door knob covers for the bathroom for the same reason.

For stuff like the buttons on our TV/ XBox/ stereo, whenever DS would toddle over and start to mess with it, we'd just say, "Not for Ivan" and give him something that was. We spent about three months saying this constantly-- nothing harsh or punitive, just the statement and the rediction-- and he stopped touching it. Never had a problem since. We use "not for Ivan" judiciously, so when we say it, he tends to listen. It's saved us a lot of babyproofing in other areas.

Having said that, we only let him play unsupervised in certain areas of our house (like his room), so we'd see him if he were to suddenly become interested in taking the stereo apart, or something.
#99 of 108 Old 06-19-2009, 12:28 AM

I don't believe in super baby proofing with all the corner guards and everything. I do think that some kids just need more baby proofing than others. DS was opening medicine bottles, unlocking the front door, climbing into the refrigerator, turning on the stove and dragging out the knives as soon as he learned how to walk. We eventually broke down and started locking things up after the one millionth time re directing him. When people say "house proofing a child" a seriously wonder what else I could have done to house proof my ds. I really don't think it was possible.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#100 of 108 Old 06-19-2009, 12:51 AM

We are not "babyproof" either. With 4 kids of different ages, it's kind of hard. We don't use toxic cleaners, the cleaners we do have and medication are kept in a high cupboard. We are super vigilant about other things.

Wife of 20 years to my superhero firefighting DH. SAHM to 2 boys and 2 girls (3 babies in Heaven- Baby # 5 5/2010 & Baby #6 8/2011 & Baby # 7 2/1013). Cancer Survivor 2011 ( Persistent Malignant Gestational Trophoblastic Disease)

#101 of 108 Old 06-19-2009, 05:25 PM

I had no idea how much there was to baby-proofing until I worked in the hardware department of Hechinger's! OMG! They have pads, locks, and covers in every shape and form - and for everything! Lock the VCR, tie the TV to the wall, lock the fridge, lock the toilet, cover the outlets not it use, cover the outlets that ARE in use, on and on it goes.

I would say I selectively baby-proof things. The main living area has a nice baby gate there and we keep that keep very baby friendly. As for the rest of the house, we have some outlet covers in places where the kid *might* be able to get to without us noticing (behind the dining room table, behind the dog's crate) and those are the outlets we don't use anyway. We also have a gate at the top of the steps and bottom - although the bottom one doesn't do a whole lot for the kid (he climbs under it) - it does keep the dog down stairs

I don't know anyone made it out of infancy. Put a kid in a room with 1000 appropriate toys and they will find the ONE thing they shouldn't play with! A screwdriver, a nail, a battery, a fork... you name it!

Every family has to risk assess their space and decide what needs to be protected and to what extent.

: Allen James 2/06 : Thomas Foster 12/08 :
#102 of 108 Old 06-19-2009, 05:47 PM

I think babyproofing gives a false sense of security. We use babygates and a couple cabinet locks to keep him out of things but that's about it. We have a few outlet covers. Probably should pick up some more, but most of the uncovered ones are in use. I did have a conversation w/ my ds1 about sticking things in outlet ... pretty much that if you put anything in there besides a plug, fire will shoot out and consume you. I think I made my point... However, it's harder to explain it to a 17 mo old.

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

#103 of 108 Old 06-19-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pod4One View Post
I had no idea how much there was to baby-proofing until I worked in the hardware department of Hechinger's! OMG! They have pads, locks, and covers in every shape and form - and for everything! Lock the VCR, tie the TV to the wall, lock the fridge, lock the toilet, cover the outlets not it use, cover the outlets that ARE in use, on and on it goes.
There's something along the lines of 10,000 different "safety" devices for a child for sale in BRU right now. It's a multi billion dollar business.

And you're made to feel like a "bad mom" if you don't own a vast majority of them. And then it perpetuates into "well, we must NEED them because they're for sale". Really, the companies are brilliant. Supply and demand.

But 10,000 different safety devices today? How did ANY of us make it to be old enough to have our own children???

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::
#104 of 108 Old 06-19-2009, 09:34 PM

Before I opened a daycare I didn't baby proof either...except to lock up medicines and put cleaners in a high cabinet. I just taught my kids to leave things alone. I had lots of knickknacks and breakables out too BUT when I'm taking care of other people's children more caution is needed, so my house is now babyproof. I'm considering giving up doing daycare before this baby is born because I'm not sure I want to raise her in an environment to feels artificial to me.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#105 of 108 Old 06-19-2009, 11:00 PM

I don't babyproof that much, but I do what that child needs. My older 2 just weren't really troublemakers as a baby (I use that term in a joking way!) They really just didn't get into much. My third, on the other hand, is into everything, and needs more babyproofing (I should get around to that since she's crawling, pulling up and cruising now). I have outlet covers but some are missing now and I have the cabinets where there are hazardous stuff locked.
#106 of 108 Old 06-20-2009, 03:10 PM

I don't go crazy on babyproofing, but I did put some things away and rearranged other things so he couldn't get access to potentially dangerous objects or things I do not want broken. I do have cabinet locks under my sink (yucky compost and garbage are magnets to him!) and a lock on my stove and dishwasher, and I do have babygates but most of the time they're open anyways, he's been going up and down the stairs by himself for months now.

My DS is a major adventurer/explorer, he'll get into anything and everything and bring things to you you've forgotten you ever owned. I don't want to be following him around and redirecting him every five minutes, I want him to feel this is his space too to do in as he wishes, so I've made it as kid-friendly as possible. He does know what "no" means so if we go somewhere else he'll listen mostly when I tell him to stay away from something, but at home I want everyone to be relaxed and mom and dad not to have to worry about what he might be getting into. Works great for us!

Mommy to DS born Jan 2008 , and DD born January 2010
#107 of 108 Old 06-21-2009, 12:59 AM

i think it really depends on the person maybe she follows her kids every move like Ive seen some parent do. whatever the case no matter what you say she wont change you just have to hope shes paying attention all the time.
i however have outlet covers, locked my sink cabinet, and did have a gate or 2 in my children's young years. i don't think its worth the chance.

bfinfant.gifcd.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifmomsling.GIFsewmachine.gifknit.gifMama to Gavin, Lily, and Soren 
#108 of 108 Old 06-21-2009, 10:47 PM

When I just had one kid, I didn't babyproof much because I was always with ds. With dd (who is very adventurous) I've done gates on the stairs, outlet covers and cabinet locks. I also teach her what's dangerous, but I figure it only takes once for a baby to get seriously hurt so it's not worth the risk.

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page