safety issues - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 06-28-2009, 01:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
CPS won't take her kids away for not being in car seats, but they will at least contact the family and try to help them get seats.

CPST & mom

#32 of 43 Old 06-28-2009, 09:04 AM

I would NEVER call CPS if someone drove with their children unrestrained. I would definately seek to educate them though.
BTW, IN a number of states it is leagal for a 4 year old to sit with just a lap belt and no booster. But I agree, this is not very safe.
#33 of 43 Old 06-28-2009, 12:37 PM

Around here CPS generally doesn't deal with car seat issues - the police do. I have called the police about a neighbour who carried her baby in the front seat with her, and they were very good about the whole thing. They called the parents in, explained the situation to them and why it was dangerous and the parents are now using a carseat.

I debated about what to do, but when it came down to it I knew I would feel partially responsible if anything ever happened to the child.
#34 of 43 Old 06-29-2009, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

She definitely wants carseats now!!

Can you tell me which seat is the best out of these three?

1. Graco high back turbobooster
2. Evenflo Big kid booster
3. cosco high back booster

Thanks
#35 of 43 Old 06-30-2009, 03:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If those are the only options, I would do a turbobooster for the 4yo. But she will have to teach him how to sit properly in it all the time. The younger one cannot be in a belt positioning booster, so of those three the best option is the cosco. If she can spend a bit more, I'd really recommend looking at an Apex for the higher harness height.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#36 of 43 Old 06-30-2009, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurmama8 View Post

Thanks
Absolutely the turbobooster for the 4yo, but the 2yo needs a harnessed seat. The Evenflo Chase I recommended (twice) above is a harnessed seat with high slot straps (almost as high as the Apex) and a very low price. It turns into a booster when the harness is outgrown -- it's not the best booster or even close to it, but it is oodles better than nothing!

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#37 of 43 Old 06-30-2009, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Those three above were just for the 4 yo. How will she need to teach him to sit in it properly?

Thanks again chicabiddy
#38 of 43 Old 06-30-2009, 10:54 AM

Shoulder belt through the red belt guide, lap belt under booster arms (and make sure you put the screws in the armrests if you get the Turbobooster!) -- sometimes with new booster riders it's helpful to lock the shoulder belt to ensure proper positioning.

#39 of 43 Old 06-30-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurmama8 View Post

Thanks
I am happy for your friend, and her children!!!

+ + =
#40 of 43 Old 06-30-2009, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yeah, the 4yo will need to sit back and still so the seatbelt stays in proper position. Given that she needs a cheaper seat, and other high weight harnessing seats that convert to good boosters aren't an option, the turbo is a really good booster that will last a long time, versus the cosco one with a harness that he might already be too big for and it doesn't fit most kids well as a booster.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#41 of 43 Old 07-01-2009, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

I know AM!!

I went to check some out today and the turbobooster seemed a little..cheap feeling. It really wiggled a lot and didn't seem sturdy but the evenflo big kid seemed pretty sturdy. Is the evenflo really bad?

How hard is the install for the turbobooster, evenflo big kid and the cosco seat? Do they switch between cars good?

thanks for all of your help. I am going to take them with me so they can pick the colors out themselves? The 4yo hasn't been in a seat for a couple years so I don't know how this will go over with him as he thinks carseats are for babies.
#42 of 43 Old 07-01-2009, 12:31 AM

Boosters wiggle. It feels strange to people who are used to harnessed seats, but they wiggle and it's okay.

The Evenflo Big Kid fits big kids better. It's usually not a great fit for a 4yo. Also, it doesn't have EPS foam in the headwings (at least most of them don't -- I don't know if any do). That's kind of a big deal because the EPS foam -- which is white and looks like styrofoam, not soft and cushy -- absorbs some of the energy in a crash. It's the stuff they use in bicycle helmets. Seats that don't have that foam transfer all the energy into the kid's head. That's usually not good.

#43 of 43 Old 07-01-2009, 12:42 AM

We use a turbo booster for our 50lb 47inch 6.5 year old. It feels lighter because its jsut a booster and the back can be removed. Its a good seat go good rating and is super easy to use. There is no really install for a booster just put on seat position the head rest correctly and feed belt through top slot and over lap (under the seats arm rests). I think the Evenflo though will be fine. Though there customer service are a pain to work with if an issue comes up.

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page