Car Seat Saddness - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-26-2009, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't post a lot on here. This morning I had to take my DS car seat out so I could measure him. He hit a huge growth spurt these last 2 weeks. He is getting taller...too tall He can not rear face anymore : So SO and I went out to install his car seat FF. Any other mamas feel nervous about FF? We have not left today. I'm not sure that I want to..... DS is 32 1/2 months I was hoping to make it to 3. All those Videos scare me about the FF v's RF. I wonder if it is worth it to try to find a taller seat.....Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2009, 05:34 PM

What seat did he just outgrow? How much does he weigh?

DD is 39 months, and is about to outgrow the Titan. We have a True Fit for her, which is awesome, but we are hopefully exchanging it for a Marathon RA50. As far as weight goes, she should be able to RF to 4 years old easily, and I want to make sure she has a car seat that will accommodate her in height as well.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:38 PM

It strikes me that you were MEASURING huim to determine if he is too tall? that is not the correct way to determine that. I know that all seats are required by law to put a "height limit" on their seats, but it is just a guideline. A seat is outgrown rearfacing when the childs head is within 1 inch of the shell. this might happen well before, or well after the stated height guideline on a seat.
What seat is it? how much shell is still aboive your childs head? how much does he weigh?
If your child is still at or under 30 lbs or so, then getting a taller shell might be worth uit...if he is already pushing the weight limit, it's probably best to turn. There is a 40 lb seat on the market now, but it's shell is similar to the marathon, so it buiys time for heavier kids, but not taller kids.

CPST
Old 06-26-2009, 05:39 PM

The True Fit is the tallest shell out there right now along with the Radian, I tried my 5 1/2 year old DS in his sisters TF rear facing yesterday and he actually fit. Of course he was too heavy for it but height wise he fit fine.
What seat is he in now?>
Old 06-26-2009, 05:44 PM

My 3rd LO made it to 30 months RF'ing in a marathon then he outgrew it by weight. My 27 month old weighed 32 lbs last time we checked, so I am getting ready to turn him as my seat has a 33 lb rf-weight limit.

How is your DS too tall to RF? Is there less than an inch above his head and the top of the seat? I ask b/c then maybe he's about to outgrow the seat FF, too. I just get confused when people say their LO's are too tall to RF, so I'm curious. My older kids outgrew their harnessed seats FF by height long before weight, but RF'ing is a bit different.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

He is in a Alpha Omega Seat. He has about 1/2 inch of shell above his head. That's why I say he is too tall. He is 31.5 pounds. So I really would like him RF, I'm just not sure what seat to go with....or weather I should have him FF.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I don't think this is what you are going to want to read, but yes, he has outgrown the seat RFing. AND children usually outgrow the Alpha Omega seats (unless it's the new 50# one) FFing soon after they outgrow it RFing -- the top headrest/strap setting is for booster use only and a child has outgrown a seat by height FFing when his shoulders are above the top (usable) strap setting.

The Sunshine Kids Radian and Learning Curve TrueFit both have tall shells and high harnesses.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

now I just read on http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html

"An appropriate height guideline to determine when a child is too tall for a rear-facing convertible is when the top of their head reaches the top of the shell. Make sure to measure to the top of the hard shell and not the fabric cover that may appear be taller. If your seat has an adjustable head support (like the Britax Boulevard or the Cosco Alpha Omega/3-in-1), then the top of the head support is the important level if it extends beyond the main shell."

Our seat has the adjustabe head rest thing so can I keep him RF then?
Old 06-26-2009, 06:13 PM

As I just wrote, in most Alpha Omega seats, the top setting is for booster use only. Please check the manual and the back of the seat.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:43 PM

Make sure you are measuring like this. Frequently kids have much more room than we think they do

CPST & mom

Old 06-26-2009, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
This morning I had to take my DS car seat out so I could measure him.
Like a PP poster, i too wonder why you took the seat out of the car in order to measure to see if he is too tall for it? Isnt the best way to measure with the child in the carseat, installed in the car as it normally is?

Katherine

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
Old 06-27-2009, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

I thought it had to be with the cover off the seat. And I was measuring wrong. I was measuring straight across not at a angle. I will recheck in the morning and let ya'll know what I come up with. Thanks for all the advise
Old 06-27-2009, 12:50 AM

No, measure with the cover on, just like he would be sitting in it And yes, measure perpendicular from the back of the shell.

CPST & mom

Old 07-02-2009, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Hello again mama's. After reading the manual over I had to call Cosco to talk to them about this. I can not RF DS anymore is what I got from both the manual and the person whom I talked to on the phone.

Currently we have DS seat FF but are trying not to leave the house by car much. We need a new seat. Suggestions please. Is there a seat out there that DS can still RF in? Plus we would like to Harness to atleast 65 lbs. I'd like to get the best seat for my $$. I was looking at the True Fit they have it for $150 something on amazon right now.

Any suggestions would be great Thanks
Old 07-02-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekprincess View Post
Hello again mama's. After reading the manual over I had to call Cosco to talk to them about this. I can not RF DS anymore is what I got from both the manual and the person whom I talked to on the phone.

Currently we have DS seat FF but are trying not to leave the house by car much. We need a new seat. Suggestions please. Is there a seat out there that DS can still RF in? Plus we would like to Harness to atleast 65 lbs. I'd like to get the best seat for my $$. I was looking at the True Fit they have it for $150 something on amazon right now.

I would buy the TF and continue to rear face him. My son is within an inch or so of outgrowing the AOE, and this is what I plan on doing as he is only 26 lb. right now.

Rebekah , single working mom to Micah (04.12.2007)
Old 07-02-2009, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Is the cheaper True fit as good a the newer more pricey one?
Old 07-02-2009, 05:03 PM

I turned my boys around the minute they hit the requirements for their seats. They were so much happier FFing over RFing. We just bumped our youngest from the Marathon to a Regent (Britax) and he loves it.

It will take some getting used to, but overall it is great.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:49 PM

Toddlers are five times safer rear-facing.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post
IF they are within the carseat height / weight limits for rear facing.

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

Old 07-02-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amylcd View Post
IF they are within the carseat height / weight limits for rear facing.
Well, yes. But I was replying to the poster who said she turned her kids the minute they were able to FF, so I assumed they still fit RFing.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:05 PM
ssh

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The new Graco My Ride 65 RF to 40lbs. and harnesses to 65 lbs. I'm thinking about getting it for my grandchild, whose expected in February. I found a review on it here http://carseatblog.com/?p=2312 and it's for sale here http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3532435 . I've got several months before it's time to buy one, so I'm hoping for more reviews. I think the True Fit only goes to 35 lbs. RF.

My 3.5 year old DD loves her Nautilus. Her torso is long (she's wearing size 5 shirts) and she's 39lbs., so she can't RF.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post
Also, the only studies on this only look at children under the age of 2. The assumption would be it would apply to older kids too, but just to clarify.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
Old 07-02-2009, 07:25 PM

Even though the MyRide is rated to 40 pounds RF, the shell is pretty short. Most kids aren't going to make it to 35 pounds RF in it, much less 40.

CPST & mom

Old 07-03-2009, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post
Also, the only studies on this only look at children under the age of 2. The assumption would be it would apply to older kids too, but just to clarify.
Actually a new study came out tracking through the age of 4 and it made the news both in the US and in the UK.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellnes...7818004&page=1

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...n-experts.html
Old 07-03-2009, 02:37 AM

Quote:

i just bought a My Ride for my son...he is 38 inches tall and 34.5 lbs., so just below being too heavy for his BV. he has LOTS of room for growing (i would say between 3-4 inches of the shell). Its very roomy too. He's 3.5 right now and i expect that he will prob. be at least 4 before FF'ing.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:17 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsuki View Post
Actually a new study came out tracking through the age of 4 and it made the news both in the US and in the UK.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellnes...7818004&page=1

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...n-experts.html
drrr, forgot about that. But, the 5x stat came from the under 2 one. Not sure what the exact specific is for the under 4 one.

From your first link:

Quote:
A child is 5.53 times safer during their second year of life in a rear-facing car seat versus a forward-facing one," said Dr. Joseph O'Neil, a pediatrician at Riley Hospital and associate professor of pediatrics at the Indiana University School of Medicine in Indianapolis. "I think that this is a very important topic for child safety."
Second year of life = between the ages of 1 and 2. While I totally believe children are safer rfing as long as possible, I REALLY would like to see some stats on over 2s.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
Old 07-03-2009, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
i just bought a My Ride for my son...he is 38 inches tall and 34.5 lbs., so just below being too heavy for his BV. he has LOTS of room for growing (i would say between 3-4 inches of the shell). Its very roomy too. He's 3.5 right now and i expect that he will prob. be at least 4 before FF'ing.

Way to go on RF for so long that is so awesome!
the MR65 is 26inch H and the seat that DS is in is 25.94 inch H. So with DS not being able to use his AOE RF anymore I doubt he could in this one.

Does anyone have any thought on the old True Fit V's the New True fit. Does anyone have a RF True fit in a malibu? I have heard that it doesnt install very well in seats that are not flat. any insight ladies? Thank You a million.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

I just wanted to update that we got the True Fit and are RF. Thank you all
Old 07-10-2009, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Way to go on RF for so long that is so awesome!
the MR65 is 26inch H and the seat that DS is in is 25.94 inch H. So with DS not being able to use his AOE RF anymore I doubt he could in this one.

Does anyone have any thought on the old True Fit V's the New True fit. Does anyone have a RF True fit in a malibu? I have heard that it doesnt install very well in seats that are not flat. any insight ladies? Thank You a million.
sometimes it does make a difference in how the seat fits in your car. i thought he wouldnt have room for growth in the MR but he really does. I certainly wouldn't order one online unless you could return with free shipping but its worth looking at BRU or somewhere that carries them and see how the seat, and your son, fits in the car.

User Tag List