Unbelievable - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 46 Old 07-04-2009, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalGirl View Post
I'm not advocating that people should not use seats, but live an let live, if you get sad about seeing a kid out of a carseat, then i suggest you don't go travel outside the US much most of the world does not have carseat laws...
I have relatives by marriage in India. Most of them don't own cars and it is hard to find rear seat belts in taxis. When they visit USA, we have to remind/educate/insist on seat belt wearing.

On average, each family member drives many fewer miles than we do in the USA. My in-laws might take a taxi just a few times a year. Yet there have been many tragedies.
* A family living in California was driving late at night. Husband was tired, wife took over driving. There was an accident and the wife died, leaving behind husband and two young children. (probably no seat belt on her)
* A young couple moved back to their home city in India. They were so happy, they went (by scooter) to the bank to pick up a favorite piece of jewelry form the safe deposit box. The wife was killed in an accident. They had a young son.
* A friend's sister was divorced from her first husband after a month of marriage. A few years later she remarried, and this time she was happy and maybe even in love. A month into the marriage, her husband was on a scooter (probably no helmet) and was killed by a loose chain on a commercial truck. For cultural reasons, she is not ever expected to remarry.

In short, there are consequences to the lack of safety laws (and enforcement) in developing countries. Many of these countries have other national priorities, such as clean water or basic literacy education.
#32 of 46 Old 07-04-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post
Giving her the benefit of the doubt- my husband always puts my older daughter in the car seat, then gets in the front and turns around to buckle her in. Maybe she does the same?
I've done it that way too, especially in cold weather, but no, I saw the parents get in, sit down and drive away. No one was ever buckled in and they were getting ready to pull out onto a very busy road with very limited visibility.
To the PP who said her 3yo buckled in her DS I just don't get that ??? My husband can hardly put my baby's seatbelt on right

Krista; blessed mother to four earthly beings and three non-physical. Basking in my beautiful rainbow. 

#33 of 46 Old 07-04-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaDJ View Post
I've done it that way too, especially in cold weather, but no, I saw the parents get in, sit down and drive away. No one was ever buckled in and they were getting ready to pull out onto a very busy road with very limited visibility.
To the PP who said her 3yo buckled in her DS I just don't get that ??? My husband can hardly put my baby's seatbelt on right
Well, roll your eyes all you want, but she did it, did it well and it worked for us.

hh2.gif

#34 of 46 Old 07-05-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmomma View Post
Well, roll your eyes all you want, but she did it, did it well and it worked for us.
I'm sorry, I wasn't rolling my eyes at you, I was rolling them at the fact that my husband can't seem to buckle the baby in. Why are things taken in the WORST way possible? I still don't see how a three year old can buckle in a baby in a harness that is tight enough though.

Krista; blessed mother to four earthly beings and three non-physical. Basking in my beautiful rainbow. 

#35 of 46 Old 07-05-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaDJ View Post
I'm sorry, I wasn't rolling my eyes at you, I was rolling them at the fact that my husband can't seem to buckle the baby in. Why are things taken in the WORST way possible? I still don't see how a three year old can buckle in a baby in a harness that is tight enough though.
Sorry krista, I had just gotten home from a family affair... most of the people just attack me for my ideas/actions. I was in defense mode. Bella amazingly did a great job... and obviously if she couldn't, we wouldn't continue to let her.

hh2.gif

#36 of 46 Old 07-05-2009, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

The last handful of posts totally drive the point home. Yes most of the world doesn't have car seat laws for a number of reasons but at the same time most of the world's people don't drive the insane amount that the average American does! And having car seat laws or not it is so incredibly easy and so much safer to use restraints regardless of law!

Like a previous post my older daughter can get my infant tight in her car seat so my gosh if she can do it I can't imagine why an adult wouldn't "bother". I really think Americans need to stop and think about their child's safety when dealing with cars and people just don't take the time to think.
#37 of 46 Old 07-05-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post

Where do you live? Sounds like a great place to be.
I'm currently visiting a country where the vast majority of the population ignores the laws, as they are rarely enforced and are considered to be inconvenient.

The result is a country with horrible air quality, polluted sea, garbage filling the streets, historic monuments stolen and even destroyed because they are in the way of the newest high-rise building, unusable beaches, devastated mountains (deforestation and mining), an absolutely sickening and heartbreaking number of traffic fatalities each year, uncontrolled urban growth turning the entire country into one big block of concrete-- I could go on, endlessly.

And it used to be one of the most beautiful countries in the world.

I'm all for civil liberties, but people who don't think government has a place in people's lives must not have ever visited countries where, for all intents and purposes, there is no government.

OP, in the country I'm visiting, many times per day I see children riding totally unrestrained in cars. And no one follows the traffic laws either, accidents are frequent and usually fatal. It makes me so sad. I've had to really stick to my guns to make sure DS is restrained in the seat that we brought for him to use. I don't understand this mentality AT ALL.
#38 of 46 Old 07-05-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspring0308 View Post
The last handful of posts totally drive the point home. Yes most of the world doesn't have car seat laws for a number of reasons but at the same time most of the world's people don't drive the insane amount that the average American does! And having car seat laws or not it is so incredibly easy and so much safer to use restraints regardless of law!
That's beside the point honestly here we drive plenty mostly because to fill our tanks it cost us about 1,20$, but like i said it's besides the point, carseats are great and all of that, but seriously getting sad and alarmed about a child out of a carseat with all the huger, wars, genocide around the world, probably those children are happy and healthy, and being in a car at all it's dangerous I really don't understand how people who get all worked up about seeing a child unrestrained put their children in cars at all.

Mommy to our Twin Miracles babygirl.gifbabyboy.gif born on 29/1/12

#39 of 46 Old 07-05-2009, 04:21 PM

Okay, not to hijack the thread, but there was a point brought up along the way: report the said incident. I just wondered what people consider to be smart protocol for doing such a thing. Having this post fresh on my mind last night, I saw something that disturbed me deeply. We were at our local chain grocery store, and when I came out, there was a mother and son sitting in the car next to us. It appeared obvious that she was waiting for someone, and her son, who I don't even think was barely 12 mos, was in the back seat in his car seat. When I looked at him, though, I was horrified. He was in there, but the crotch clip wasn't done up, the straps were loose and dangling on his shoulders, and the chest clip was done up and hanging around his belly button. It genuinely did not look like she just loosened him while they waited or had him 1/2 undone while they waited. All signs indicated they were getting ready to leave when the person they were waiting for got back. Maybe I was wrong, but I was horrified to think of how awfully he was placed in there if they did leave. I jotted down her license plate and we drove slowly through the parking lot waiting for them to leave, but they didn't and we had to get going. I didn't really know what to do. They weren't moving, so it wasn't something that could really be cited. But my gut told me she wasn't going to do anything about it once she did get going. His shoes were untied and he looked disheveled, not very well kept. Worst of all, his eyes looked sad. But what in the world could I do about sad eyes and loosened car seat straps in a vehicle that wasn't moving??

Anyways, just wondered what others consider appropriate in situations where child seat safety isn't being respected. Who exactly do you call?

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#40 of 46 Old 07-06-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lilsweetfoxes View Post
They probably remember their childhood memories of sitting in their parents' lap to "help drive" and want to give their child a similar memory.

(one of those--well, my parents did it with me and I'm fine)
Yeah and that is fine when done in the driveway or driving through the back yard, but not down the road! Sheesh some people just don't get it. The way cars were built and the speed limits and stuff were a lot different back then. Heck I refused to take a bottle from my father (who couldn't drive due to medical restrictions) so on long car trips he would lay my head in moms lap while she drove and give me a bottle so I thought she was feeding me!

Courtney mom to Zac 5-11-05, :Neva 6-2-07, wife to SAHD Eric 8-21-04
#41 of 46 Old 07-07-2009, 09:15 AM

OP, I live in your city and there is not a day that goes by that I don't see a scenario like the one you described. Every.Single.Day. I think car seat compliance is lower in CHS than other areas. Given the 26 car pile-up on the interstate yesterday maybe it is a public health campaign that needs to happen? Lord knows I try to do part!
#42 of 46 Old 07-07-2009, 10:34 AM

WARNING, VERY SENSITIVE POST!!!!!!

A couple weeks ago there was a rollover on the highway. We were driving the opposite direction so we saw the wreckage, toys and all It was so bad they closed a portion of 95N, they closed I-95 N to Boston, I couldn't believe it.

Grandma, Mom, Dad, & the 3yo were all thrown from the vehicle, the infant in it's seat was NOT thrown out. Mom, Grandma, and the infant survived

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#43 of 46 Old 07-07-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneva View Post
The way cars were built and the speed limits and stuff were a lot different back then.
When I was a baby, my mom tells stories of having to lay me on the front seat swaddled in blankets laying right on the seat. She was a broke single mom who couldn't afford to fix the heat in her car. I shudder now thinking about the risks, but times were definitely different. I'd like to think we've learned much more and are smarter for it.

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#44 of 46 Old 07-07-2009, 09:48 PM

I cringe when I see people who allow their children to jump around freely in the back seat of their car while driving down the road. I often wonder how they get away with it and don't get pulled over. I also witnessed woman with a baby on her lap, both strapped in together, in the front seat once. That was really scary.

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos
#45 of 46 Old 07-07-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneva View Post
Yeah and that is fine when done in the driveway or driving through the back yard, but not down the road! Sheesh some people just don't get it. The way cars were built and the speed limits and stuff were a lot different back then. Heck I refused to take a bottle from my father (who couldn't drive due to medical restrictions) so on long car trips he would lay my head in moms lap while she drove and give me a bottle so I thought she was feeding me!
speed limits don't always make a difference. When I was 16 I was in a wreck on the street I lived on and I had no seatbelt on at the time, as it was not a law yet, and I weighed 85 lbs and was tossed to the other side of the car on impact, going 25 mph through my neighborhood. I was told that had I been wearing a seatbelt that it may have been fatal. The driver hit the drivers side of my car right at my door and the front area by the engine. He even knocked the engine out of place and it was shifted to the other side.

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos
#46 of 46 Old 07-08-2009, 02:54 AM

Just a reminder of the Family Safety Forum Guidelines.

Specifically:

Quote:
We ask that threads focus on safety information gathering, education, advocacy and sharing of personal experience rather than critiques of individuals or venting about others.
If anyone would care to make this into a "call to action" feel free to post in the Activism Forum.

Thanks,
TiredX2

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page