Unbelievable - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 46 Old 07-01-2009, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yesterday I was driving home on a 35mph road. A Cadillac Escalade pulled in front of me (totally fine, lots of room) but as they did I noticed the male passenger had a young child (not older then 2) sitting on his lap. O.K. I realize I live in po-dunk South Carolina but seriously people it's still illegal! I mean these people in the SUV might not know all the details of car seat safety and erf etc. but I know they know that driving with a child on your lap is against the law!

So fast forward to today. My DH and I were stuck in traffic b/c of a middle of the day head on collision and one of the vehicles involved was a Cadillac Escalade! Not the same color but I instantly thought of the child from yesterday and it made me instantly woozy. The road today had a max. speed of 45mph but I'm guessing they were going slower b/c there was a lot of traffic and the SUV was totaled; front end totally smashed with all the airbags deployed and broken windows. Simply horrifying, both situations!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 46 Old 07-01-2009, 09:51 PM

That is really disturbing. I see it a lot here, too, in the Washington, DC area. It completely baffles me. The people who do this probably love their children - why on earth do they put them at such risk? It's the leading cause of death among children!

#3 of 46 Old 07-01-2009, 10:04 PM

So sad. We see it here too in Boston.
#4 of 46 Old 07-01-2009, 10:12 PM

wow I have never seen that but wow, how negligent. I would call the police. Not 911 but the local county office. That is really too serious not to report.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#5 of 46 Old 07-01-2009, 10:24 PM

I've seen it - several of DH's aunts and uncles don't use car seats/boosters/seatbelts for their kids. I even had my brother (who was a cop at the time) talk to them and tell them about some of the gruesome accidents he's responded to, but no change. And I know these people love their children. I just don't get it.
#6 of 46 Old 07-01-2009, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

I thought about calling police but A. I would have had to remember the plate # long enough to pull over safely (and I have serious sleep-deprived-mommy-brain) B. I'd call and report it but I assure you there aren't great enough funds for the police dept. to track the car down or make a home visit and honestly I've seen police driving in their official vehicles without seat belts so I'm not sure car safety is high on anyones list around here! It is truly shocking, I feel like I'm in a third world country in regards to car safety sometimes.
#7 of 46 Old 07-01-2009, 10:32 PM

Insanity. I can't imagine why some people do that, regardless.

Angie, proud Army wife to Dan, mom to Kat (4/00) and Gracie (11/09)!!
#8 of 46 Old 07-01-2009, 10:34 PM

that is so sad
#9 of 46 Old 07-01-2009, 10:41 PM

They probably remember their childhood memories of sitting in their parents' lap to "help drive" and want to give their child a similar memory.

(one of those--well, my parents did it with me and I'm fine)
#10 of 46 Old 07-02-2009, 10:59 AM

My best friend is a large SUV driver. She thinks that because her car is so large and therefore obviously safe she is taking her 6 year old out of his booster when he starts school. Maybe they have the same - larger vehicle= no problem attitude.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#11 of 46 Old 07-02-2009, 11:09 AM

The other day, I saw a pick-up truck pull out onto a major 4 lane road (lots of red lights, turning lanes running thru a 5 mile long commercial area) with a little boy of about 4 kneeling on the center consol between a man and a woman.

I could tell he was kneeling on the center consol because my husband has the same model truck, meaning I know the kid wasn't in a seat.

Unfortunately, I see things like this regularly. I live in an area where a good chunk of the population willfully resists government telling them how they should live their lives.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#12 of 46 Old 07-02-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caneel View Post
The other day, I saw a pick-up truck pull out onto a major 4 lane road (lots of red lights, turning lanes running thru a 5 mile long commercial area) with a little boy of about 4 kneeling on the center consol between a man and a woman.

I could tell he was kneeling on the center consol because my husband has the same model truck, meaning I know the kid wasn't in a seat.

Unfortunately, I see things like this regularly. I live in an area where a good chunk of the population willfully resists government telling them how they should live their lives.

Where do you live? Sounds like a great place to be.
#13 of 46 Old 07-02-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:

i'm with vbactivist on this one. sounds like a great place to live!!!

of course, not concerning people disregarding children's safety...but as pposts suggest--that happens everywhere. willfull resistance though? that's hard to come by!!

to add to the the op...i live in an area where most of the people are from Mexico (immigrants...and their first generation children). many of them do not use carseats regularly. and most do not use carseats for children over the age of 2(? or so?). i'm not sure they even know it's the law.

living light husband wife loving life two sons to birth for our light loving earth. :
#14 of 46 Old 07-02-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirp View Post

of course, not concerning people disregarding children's safety...but as pposts suggest--that happens everywhere. willfull resistance though? that's hard to come by!!

Not to threadjack too much but I struggle with this. I feel our liberties being taken away day by day- our founding fathers never meant for us to be so deep in legislation controlling our everyday choices- and yet I'm a car seat safety fanatic and get all heated when I see scenarios like the OP's!

Mother to R- 2/09, & C- 5/11

#15 of 46 Old 07-02-2009, 02:11 PM

I saw this yesterday as we were driving home on highway 401 (a major provincial highway) were the limit is 100 KPH (62 MPH) and I saw a mini van from Quebec pass us at 120 KPH (75 MPH) with a child sitting on the lap of someone in the second row. I was trying to get their license plate # to call the police but we couldn't catch up to them. So sad when people make really unsafe choices for their children.

Scarlett bfinfant.gif , DH Boris geek.gif , DS 1/29/08 Julian kid.gif DD2 6/7/12 babygirl.gif missing our DD 1/06/06 Sonja angel3.gif and MC @ 9 wks 11/18/06 Satchel  angel.gif

#16 of 46 Old 07-02-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirp View Post

Willful resistance might have been too strong of a statement but plenty of people are of the "keep government out of my church, off my guns, and out of my family" mindset.

I ment willful resistance in the sense that they refuse to wear seatbelts and "let the cops try to give me a ticket" and "if I want to shoot deer on my land out of season, that is my right" Driving down the road drinking a beer, that time of thing.

Oh, and refusing to comply with sewage disposal regulations. That is a biggie right now. Outhouses are poluting the neighboring wells and people are sitting in county jail for refusing to put in holding tanks.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#17 of 46 Old 07-02-2009, 03:08 PM

My DP and I were driving down the road and saw a pickup truck with two little girls in the back, looked about 3 & 4 yrs old. We reported the license # but didn't get much of response, and the next week, I saw them again!!! Argh!

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

#18 of 46 Old 07-02-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lilsweetfoxes View Post
They probably remember their childhood memories of sitting in their parents' lap to "help drive" and want to give their child a similar memory.

(one of those--well, my parents did it with me and I'm fine)
Yeah, my dad did that with me too - IN THE DRIVEWAY!!! and it was way cool without endangering my life.

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

#19 of 46 Old 07-02-2009, 08:22 PM

We live in a really small rural town and I see this almost everyday. The police dont seem to do anything about it. County cops are the worse. If I need anything done I will definantly call Highway Patrol around here. The most unbelivable one was a woman (who drives very recklessly) breastfeeding a newborn while driving. I see her time to time and she still does this and the baby is probably close to a yr old now. She has other children who do not ride in carseats and are usually seen standing up walking around in there minivan while she is doing this. She has been pulled over before but I guess it does not mean anything to her.

Kim: Wife To Colby. Mommy To DS1 Christopher and DS2 Bradly. :
#20 of 46 Old 07-02-2009, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

But even if you're driving safely [I]anything can happen[I]! That's why people are so much safer if restrained b/c you never know what or when something will happen.

Yeah, my Dad used to let me sit on his lap on our gravel road leading up to our house when I was about 6ish but not when I was 2 b/c I wouldn't have remembered it anyway and I'm fine but it was still way more dangerous then me sitting next to him in a seat belt and I haven't done that w/my 6 yo b/c we don't live on an barely-traveled back road!

All of these posts are really shocking to me b/c it really only takes a little common sense but I guess people don't think of their cars as being large dangerous killing machines like I do!
#21 of 46 Old 07-03-2009, 07:55 PM

Last weekend I saw a pickup towing a ski boat on a trailer, that was loaded down with about 12 kids of all ages. On the HIGHWAY.

Misti, mom to DS (12), DS (9), DD (3), and Mr. Man (October '10)!

#22 of 46 Old 07-03-2009, 08:56 PM

ds and i went to wendys the other day, and as i was getting him out of his seat, i noticed the truck parked next to us had a kid (3 or 4 maybe) jumping around while the 2 women were talking. not a big deal, since they were parked. we went in and got in line, and they ended up behind us. they had the little boy and a baby, maybe one at the oldest, but he looked closer to 9 or so months...

i was curious (and yes, i admit, im nosy) so when ds and i left, i peeked in the window of their truck, and they didnt have a seat in there for either kid!!!

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#23 of 46 Old 07-03-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Willful resistance might have been too strong of a statement but plenty of people are of the "keep government out of my church, off my guns, and out of my family" mindset.

I ment willful resistance in the sense that they refuse to wear seatbelts and "let the cops try to give me a ticket" and "if I want to shoot deer on my land out of season, that is my right" Driving down the road drinking a beer, that time of thing.

Oh, and refusing to comply with sewage disposal regulations. That is a biggie right now. Outhouses are poluting the neighboring wells and people are sitting in county jail for refusing to put in holding tanks.
This was so my family when I was growing up. My dad hated (and still does) the government in his personal life so he refuses to wear a seat belt and did not require any of us 6 kids to do so.
I do wear a seat belt and am on the strict side of the spectrum in terms of car seats but I do agree with my dad's philosophy. Like now it is a LAW that we have to wear bike helmets. I know many would agree with it but where does it stop? Like what about mandatory vaccines? I do not want my kids vaxxed but the majority think this could be a good thing. There was a recent case where the court forced a family to have chemo done on their son when they did not want too. What about forcing medical care? Where is the line? We CANNOT pick and choose. Like yes I want the in a booster till 8 law but I do not want a law saying I cannot intentionally freebirth? Right.
#24 of 46 Old 07-04-2009, 12:51 AM

I just don't get this. Do people really think that cars are safe or something? I was putting my baby in my Onbu the other day to go into a store and saw a mom and dad leaving the store with two kids, maybe 15mo and 3yo. The dad opened the car door for the 3yo (I couldn't see if there was a seat or not) and the mom opened the other door, set the baby in his FFing car seat and closed the door. Two more seconds of effort and she could have BUCKLED HIM IN!!!!!!!!!!

Krista; blessed mother to four earthly beings and three non-physical. Basking in my beautiful rainbow. 

#25 of 46 Old 07-04-2009, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa View Post
Last weekend I saw a pickup towing a ski boat on a trailer, that was loaded down with about 12 kids of all ages. On the HIGHWAY.
:

That is INSANE. Obviously all these folks never watched the highway carnage videos that I was made to watch in Drivers' Ed.

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
#26 of 46 Old 07-04-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaDJ View Post
I just don't get this. Do people really think that cars are safe or something?
No they are not they are the number one killer of children I don't get why anyone would put a kid in a car with or without a carseat.

I'm not advocating that people should not use seats, but live an let live, if you get sad about seeing a kid out of a carseat, then i suggest you don't go travel outside the US much most of the world does not have carseat laws therefor you will see almost every child unrestrained in a car I can only imagine that could send you into a deep depression.

Mommy to our Twin Miracles babygirl.gifbabyboy.gif born on 29/1/12

#27 of 46 Old 07-04-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
...the mom opened the other door, set the baby in his FFing car seat and closed the door. Two more seconds of effort and she could have BUCKLED HIM IN!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe (just maybe) the 3 yo would buckle the younger one. My dd often buckled her younger brother at that age.

hh2.gif

#28 of 46 Old 07-04-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
I just don't get this. Do people really think that cars are safe or something? I was putting my baby in my Onbu the other day to go into a store and saw a mom and dad leaving the store with two kids, maybe 15mo and 3yo. The dad opened the car door for the 3yo (I couldn't see if there was a seat or not) and the mom opened the other door, set the baby in his FFing car seat and closed the door. Two more seconds of effort and she could have BUCKLED HIM IN!!!!!!!!!!
Giving her the benefit of the doubt- my husband always puts my older daughter in the car seat, then gets in the front and turns around to buckle her in. Maybe she does the same?

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#29 of 46 Old 07-04-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
That is INSANE. Obviously all these folks never watched the highway carnage videos that I was made to watch in Drivers' Ed.
Exactly.

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#30 of 46 Old 07-04-2009, 12:35 PM

I always load all the kids up and only after they are all in the car do I buckle them. The two little ones often from the front seat.

C wife to J, Mom to B, C and Jjumpers.gif Iblahblah.gif, and Pbabyf.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page