Mothering Forum banner

WV state carseat laws & a couple horrifying stories (no death! Just poor carseat situations)

714 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  HarperRose 
#1 ·
Where can I find a nice little list of the carseat laws for WV?

*ETA: Stories in post 3.

#3 ·
That's exactly what I was looking for.
Thank you!

We're looking at a move to WV so wanted to be sure my kids were at least abiding by the law. (We are!

We spent a little over a week in WV recently and I was more than a little horrified at the carseat situations I witnessed.

My brother's baby girl is using an infant seat FOR DISPLAY ONLY that sil's father gave them that is MISSING the tail strap to tighten the straps AND the straps are WAY too loose. Visibly loose. I let my bro have it for that. (Nicely. And I acknowledged that I am kind of uptight about kids in carseats.) Unfortunately, nobody had $40. for a Scenera (at least I know that's safe till she's older!!), so the baby (6 mos) is going around in the seat as it is. *sigh*
I feel awful, but they would not appreciate it and it would likely get stolen. (Sil has a really crappy family - they steal my niece's formula and diapers for drugs. Sil & bro are living w/ my parents again.)

The other thing I witnessed was my uncle driving around my 7 yr old dd, his 5 yr old dd, and his 2 yr old ds. My dd and his dd were both in 5-pt-harnesses and his ds was in a backless booster!
: In the FRONT SEAT of his pick-up!!
:

Ok, my dd should have been in that backless booster and his 2 kids should have been in the 5 pt harnesses.

I let him have it, too. I was less nice, but tried to smooth over it because he gets his shorts in a wad pretty easily. I think it's ok, but I was FREAKED.

His reasoning for putting a 2 yr old in the backless booster was that the girls wanted to sit together and neither would sit in the front. (I have no doubt he did what he needed to do to avoid a scene.) Then he added, "Besides, I put him up here all the time. And I didn't have a car seat and I'm ok."

#4 ·
I used to drive around in the back of my parents van sitting on a lawnchair, and I am ok. But only because we never got into a head-on collision.

I try to educate people who are receptive, but I think the most important thing is to live by example. I am excited that now that my babe is over one year she is "officially" ERFing and I can't wait for people to start asking me about it.

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by just_lily View Post
I used to drive around in the back of my parents van sitting on a lawnchair, and I am ok. But only because we never got into a head-on collision.
Heh. We used to just loll around, even my 1 yr old baby brother, in the far back of my parents station wagon on looooong cross country trips. *sigh*

Quote:
I try to educate people who are receptive, but I think the most important thing is to live by example.
This is how I am, too, usually. But my niece's carseat situation stressed me out more than my uncle letting his 2 yr old ride in a backless booster in the front seat of a pickup. *sigh*

*Lead by example, Harper, example. No need to physically beat sense into anyone... *

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.