Trampoline Safety - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 07-29-2009, 11:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
re: the kitchen floor thing - IMO, there are accidents (like that), and then there is doing something that has been proven many, many times ot be very injurious to children and adults, when it's really simple to reduce the risk. And I have to really disagree with trampolines not being fun one at a time - they're totally fun one at a time! The one time I was on a trampoline with multiple people (we were all adults too, so fairly coordinated and aware of our bodies and their positions), several of us got banged up, and none of those injuries would have happened if people were going one at a time.

there's accidents, and then there's things that are largely preventable. I just can't equate limiting trampoline jumping to one at a time to wrapping your kid in bubble wrap. Trampolines are inherently fun, even when used solo.

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#32 of 42 Old 07-30-2009, 02:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reducereuserecycle View Post
as a side note: little legs can go through the springs even with an enclosure, so that is another reason i think that trampolines are unsafe.
Not sure what this relates to. . . during entry and exit? Our enclosure is threaded to the trampoline mat right at the edge. It's laced to tightly and moves as a unit. You absolutely can't get into the spring while jumping, because they are outside the enclosure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumm View Post
I disagree with this. The most imporant rule is: JUMP WITH CONTROL.
I guess I should have clarified, I meant the most important rule for parents planning on trampoline use. Certainly, we try to drill this into our kids, and have pretty good results. But insisting on an enclosure is a good way we can reduce a lot of the risk associated with trampolines.

Quote:
We made the decision not to have an enclosure after we saw that kids who tend to jump on enclosed tramps don't jump with as much control as those who do not.
I find this interesting because I've seen lots of kids use trampolines with and without enclosures and I've never noticed a difference.

Quote:
If you need an enclosure then you are not jumping properly. Once you do it alot you can flip and do crazy bounces and still control how you land.
Quite! I guess it's the leave curve prior to having done it a lot that concerns me. I would compare it to some circus performers. They don't need/use safety harnesses in performance, but they sure do when they are learning.

Quote:
Also it is a beast to shovel off an enclosed trampoline!
I realize this was a bit of joke, but what do you mean? Snow? We take our trampoline apart for winter. Extends the life of the mat and springs and brings much more longevity to the padded tarp that covers the springs. Keeping the components in good shape is a safety issue in itself.

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#33 of 42 Old 07-30-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The4OfUs View Post
there's accidents, and then there's things that are largely preventable. I just can't equate limiting trampoline jumping to one at a time to wrapping your kid in bubble wrap. Trampolines are inherently fun, even when used solo.
I can prevent car accidents by never driving.

Eh, you make your choices, we make ours. We think (know) it would suck to jump one at a time. It's way fun to put a little one in the middle and jump around them, the giggles are contageous! We don't worry about accidents. If one of them broke an arm, they'd be back on it when we got back from the hospital. Childhood is grand when you're allowed to play, and so much fun!!

If our tramp broke, we'd be at the store within minutes to replace it. I've never owned anything that was used as much (daily, except in hard rain or bad snow) with so much joy. And no one gets hurt! It ROCKS!

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::
#34 of 42 Old 07-30-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraS View Post
It's way fun to put a little one in the middle and jump around them, the giggles are contageous!

Are you talking about the one year old in your siggie? Who jumps around the baby? The older kids? You? I'm sorry-I can respect that every family makes different choices for themselves, but this seems very dangerous to me. I just can't wrap my head around an adult putting such a young child in that situation. Perhaps I misunderstood?
#35 of 42 Old 07-30-2009, 10:35 AM

Wow... what information you read into a post! I'm talking about my teenager jumping around my 11 year old or both of them jumping around the 4 year old. But thanks so much for your concern (or was that judgement?)!

I wish the millions upon millions of kids that jump safely showed up in emergency rooms unharmed... then you would hear about the fun times, instead of the bad times. Since ERs only see the injuries, they don't see the gazillions of jumps that occurred without harm. But eh, take the bad stories for what they're worth. Let's see - my kids, like millions of others, jump almost daily - so lets say at least 250 times a year. Times 6+ years That's what, 1500 days, minimum, without so much as a bruise. Multiply this by millions, with no injuries. Wow... this is a risk I'm willing to take!! I still know it's so safe and so fun. Wouldn't trade it for the world!!

I love that we live in a free country where every parent is able to make an educated decision for their own children, and I'm able to choose a safe trampoline for my family.

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::
#36 of 42 Old 07-30-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Wow... what information you read into a post! I'm talking about my teenager jumping around my 11 year old or both of them jumping around the 4 year old. But thanks so much for your concern (or was that judgement?)!

No, it wasn't judgement, that's why I said perhaps I misunderstood? I didn't know if 'little" meant the little one in you sig, but you have nicely clarified that 'little' means your teen jumping around your eleven year old, or your teen and eleven year old together jumping around your four year old. I'm relieved to hear that the baby is not involved.
#37 of 42 Old 07-30-2009, 12:44 PM

Thanks.

No, she can currently climb up and jump with her sister, but it freaks her out to have her brothers up there with her. She'll join in the more rambunctious fun in her own time.

#38 of 42 Old 07-30-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Eh, you make your choices, we make ours. We think (know) it would suck to jump one at a time. It's way fun to put a little one in the middle and jump around them, the giggles are contageous! We don't worry about accidents. If one of them broke an arm, they'd be back on it when we got back from the hospital. Childhood is grand when you're allowed to play, and so much fun!!
OK, if none of you in your family think that jumping alone is fun, fair enough. I've jumped alone and find it to be a lot of fun; my kids jump alone and find it to be a lot of fun, too. Different strokes for different folks.

I guess I'm taking exception to the implication that those of us who don't let our kids jump on a tramp with other kids at the same time aren't allowing them to play, or somehow denying them the wonders of childhood. There are a lot of ways to play freely and creatively and actively (I have VERY active kids) that don't involve a trampoline.

I will agree that it's great to be able to make the choices for ourselves and our familes.

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#39 of 42 Old 07-31-2009, 12:26 AM

I haven't read all your replys, but on sunday my 2 yr old broke her leg on our neighbors trampoline... i was standing right there and i KNEW not to let them get on more then one at a time but i thought how cute.... till my 6 yr old bumped heads with my 2 year old and made her land bad on her leg... she is now in a cast for 4 weeks our rule now is NO trampoline... i may lift the ban one day, but they have all been told ( they are all old enough, except for the toddler, to follow my rules) that they will only ever be allowed on one person a time... and i will NEVER EVER by a trampoline.

Susan, Mom to 4- Elizabeth 12, Hailey 9, Sammy 7, Caroline 3
#40 of 42 Old 07-31-2009, 01:34 AM

PHP Code:
my 2 yr old broke her leg on our neighbors trampoline 
poor girl ----hoping for a quick recovery

::
#41 of 42 Old 07-31-2009, 07:56 AM

My brother bought a trampoline when we were growing up (and it's still around). My mom made us take trampoline classes at the local gymnastics club (it was just the 3 of us kids, so I assume she made special arrangements). It was good, 'cause we actually learned how to control ourself and the dos and donts.

That being said, the next generation (i.e. all the grandkids) who are now using the trampoline don't have that knowlege, but there have been no run-ins just yet. There are smart ways to use the trampoline, and not so smart. I think if you're being sensible and respectful of the other people around you, that multiple people on a trampoline (who are communicating, not having a free-for-all) is relatively safe. Also, having it a sacred rule that when someone says "stop" that you do so immediately.

I'd let my kids jump, but I'd be sure they knew some rules to keep them safe and go over there with them for the first few times. Talk about what to do if someone's not listening and to trust their instincts.

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#42 of 42 Old 07-31-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Quote:
To me, they're the same level of scary as someone keeping loaded guns between mattresses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novella View Post
The most restrained response I can muster is "hmmm. . . that's an interesting comparison".
:

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page