Trampoline Safety - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 42 Old 07-23-2009, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So our neighbors (who my son plays with a lot/backyard borders ours) bought a trampoline today. They see NO problem with letting multiple kids jump at once. I see a HUGE problem with that. My 6 year old son wants to jump at the same time as the other kids, who are all older and bigger than him (youngest is 10)

I am sticking by this, even though the neighbors thinks I am being silly. Please can anyone help me out here?? I am not a complete safety freak, but isn't it super dangerous to have tons of kids on a trampoline at the same time???!!!
Any links would be appreciated, I am trying to convince my very logical 6 year old that this is dangerous. Poor guy just feels left out of the fun because all the other kids are allowed to do it.
#2 of 42 Old 07-23-2009, 01:53 AM

We thought about getting a trampoline but when I was googling info on them and insurance, it was enough to scare me off of purchasing one.

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#3 of 42 Old 07-23-2009, 01:57 AM

Is there the high net all the way around? If so, I'd be ok depending on how many kids and how wild they are. A 6, a 10 and a 12 year old jumping appropriately with a high net wouldn't bother me too much. A 6, 10, 12, and six 14 year olds jumping wildly - with or without a net - would scare me.
#4 of 42 Old 07-23-2009, 02:13 AM

We have a rule at our house of 3 kids or less at once. It also helps keep the trampoline from getting worn out too quickly. Sorry your neighbors are being diffucult

~Manessa mama to one teenageer, one tweenager, and a toddler

#5 of 42 Old 07-23-2009, 02:32 AM

When our kids were 5 and under we had a trampoline and didn't care how many were on it. Luckily, our trampoline blew away in a storm and got ruined. I don't think I'd let more than 2 bigger kids on it at a time. And definitely not random neighbor kids. A neighbor of ours got sued a few years ago because another kid fell off of the trampoline and broke his wrist. Said kid snuck over and was on the trampoline alone when the owner wasn't home. Too much liability. We will never have another, even though it was super fun. I wouldn't let my 6 year old play on one with bigger kids.
#6 of 42 Old 07-23-2009, 02:52 AM

I broke my ribs jumping with a child my same age and size. They jumped as I was landing and I got launched unexpectedly up and back down and my hips smacked into my ribs.

Trampolines are dangerous and your instinct about multiple jumpers being dangerous is dead on.

If you watch professionals using trampolines they never all climb on and go at it. It's really dangerous.
#7 of 42 Old 07-23-2009, 11:07 AM

My best friends' son just broke his arm on theirs. It's going to be a sucky summer for this 5 year old. My kids know they are not allowed on trampolines unless1. there is a cage, 2. no more than two children, 3. they jump with kids about the same size 4. I am right there.

i am sure the safer response would be no trampolines but my kids just love trampolines

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#8 of 42 Old 07-23-2009, 11:08 AM

OT- My neighbors' big trampoline blew over our 8 foot fence and crash landed into our backyard during a storm once.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#9 of 42 Old 07-23-2009, 11:31 AM

not a link but personal experience...i was on a trampoline in about 6th grade with other girls and i fell down and one girl's jump knocked my on my back while another girl jumped on my hair and pulled alot of it out. it could have been worse. i don't think they are safe with one jumper. i would stick to your rules for your son. broken bones...ect. are alot worse than following rules

::
#10 of 42 Old 07-23-2009, 12:15 PM

As a Paramedic (the next thing next to seat belt/car seat non/miss use) is those darn tampolines. I have seen a few really bad fractures. arms and legs.

Kids get so close to the edge and get their arm/legs caught near or in the springs. My kids would love one (so would I) but it is a risk I am not willing to take.

Have a safe summer!

Nicole

Doing what I can to make better choices every day!
#11 of 42 Old 07-23-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicmama View Post
As a Paramedic (the next thing next to seat belt/car seat non/miss use) is those darn tampolines. I have seen a few really bad fractures. arms and legs.

Kids get so close to the edge and get their arm/legs caught near or in the springs. My kids would love one (so would I) but it is a risk I am not willing to take.

Have a safe summer!

Nicole
My husband is a paramedic too, and this is something that we really thought about. We decided that as long as the netting was all around the tramp, and we made rules about how many kids and what ages jump together that it was ok. This is our 3rd summer with a trampoline, and we've never had an injury. I think it's really about what you feel safe with.

~Manessa mama to one teenageer, one tweenager, and a toddler

#12 of 42 Old 07-23-2009, 01:00 PM

We love our trampoline and we let multiple kids jump at the same time. BUT.. there are also neighborhood children who we do not allow on our trampoline at all because they don't jump in control. I know my kids and we've had the trampoline for 6 years without injury.

It is used for many things besides jumping- we read, wrestle, eat, nurse, nap, talk and snuggle, etc. We put the sprinker on it and jump in the rain. We make cool igloos with the snow/ice we take off it. Terrible accidents happen with cars and bikes but I'm not going to keep my children from those items either. Instead we use the control we have and have fun with it.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#13 of 42 Old 07-23-2009, 02:51 PM

i thought it was really dangerous to jump on trampolines when they were wet...isn't it really slick?

#14 of 42 Old 07-23-2009, 03:35 PM

We love our trampoline and do let 2-3 of the same size kids jump at once. We do have a net. I should disclose that right now, my 18 month old has a cast on his broken leg because the older brothers lost their minds and "forgot" about the rules. We are now satisfied that will never happen again, and plan to keep using it.

CPST
#15 of 42 Old 07-23-2009, 03:40 PM

we don't have a trampoline, but my kids love them. i don't trust my 6 year old son to know his limits on it because he is all about flips and handstands on the grass as it is (which is bad enough), let alone on the trampoline.

a kid in my sister's town died because of trampoline injuries, and my friend had a teen guest on her trampoline and he broke his neck on her trampoline. i wouldn't feel comfortable having one and would always be worried when they were on it.

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

#16 of 42 Old 07-27-2009, 01:53 AM

Family rule here: No trampolines, no going to anyone's house with a trampoline, no, no, no.....To me, they're the same level of scary as someone keeping loaded guns between mattresses....Trampolines can be used in a gym with professional supervision only...
I just know of too many dead kids. (three from crawling under them and getting their necks broken when someone came and jumped on the thing). My insurance company won't even do homeowners if we have one. They're just bad mojo.
#17 of 42 Old 07-27-2009, 02:02 AM

How about this: My kids take gymnastics, and the rule at the gym is 1 person at a time on the trampoline because it's dangerous to have more than one. That's straight from the instructor's mouth. A professional, who trains people how to use trampolines the way they are meant to be used.

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#18 of 42 Old 07-27-2009, 04:03 AM

Yeah, we gave our trampoline away because both my husband and I think they are too dangerous (we got it for free and so set it up, but then decided not to keep it). We had a rule of only one child at a time and they needed to jump in control, no gymnastics (we had no safety net).

I would not allow my child to play there and definetely no trampoline over there.
#19 of 42 Old 07-27-2009, 11:01 AM

We have one with full net cage around it. I was really hesitant because I remember all the accidents from when I was young, but the net addition really does make it a lot safer. LOL I can't tell you how many times we'd have had a child over the edge, etc. without it! We allow up to 3 children, ages 5-7 on it at once. However there are also rules to be followed, and if not followed no play is allowed. We're going on year 2 with it and have had absolutely no trouble. I'm surprised about the insurance issues, when I called about it I was told that as long as it's in a fenced back yard that has a gate that can lock, or is locked down in some way, then it's not considered any different than say a swimming pool. If "reasonable efforts" are made to keep stray children out, then they were good with it.
#20 of 42 Old 07-27-2009, 11:54 PM

I would never, never, have a trampoline at my house. Ever. And I don't want my kids on them either. My nephew is missing his top teeth and had to have oral surgery after an accident on the trampoline with his brother.
#21 of 42 Old 07-28-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karne View Post
I would never, never, have a trampoline at my house. Ever. And I don't want my kids on them either. My nephew is missing his top teeth and had to have oral surgery after an accident on the trampoline with his brother.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanamommyphd07 View Post
I just know of too many dead kids. (three from crawling under them and getting their necks broken when someone came and jumped on the thing). My insurance company won't even do homeowners if we have one. They're just bad mojo.
When I read things like this my first thought is, "Do you let your children ride in cars or use the bathroom?" That is where many more children die. Do your kids have the joy of bike riding and scootering? Climbing trees and sledding? Swimming out in the middle of the lake and then floating to watch the stars come out? Life can be messy and dangerous sometimes. I'm not gonna make my kid stay in the house and only experience life via a wii!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reducereuserecycle View Post
i thought it was really dangerous to jump on trampolines when they were wet...isn't it really slick?
Not slippery, but a heavier, slower bounce.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#22 of 42 Old 07-28-2009, 03:56 PM

We have a trampoline with a net. One of our sons is a gymnasts and the other has cystic fibrosis and whenever he jumps a lot it makes him cough up stuff--which is a good thing for him to get the stuff out of his lungs. Our rule is only 1 older kid (the 7, 10, 15 yr olds)at a time but we do let the 3 and 5 yr bounce together since they do not even really jump at all, mostly walk and roll around. We also don't let the neighborhood kids jump on it, I don't want to take responsibility for them.

I grew up with a trampoline with me and my 5 sisters and we had no such rules of one at a time and we even would wet down the trampoline and put dish soap on it to make it slippery like a slip and slide and would slide down it--we had a rectangle shape trampoline and no net either. Amazing we never got hurt!

I feel like I have a good balance of safety and fun.

Mama to 5 boys, 1 girl, and 2 dogs!
I'm getting sick of this world, I may need to live on a commune some where! I miss nursing!!!
#23 of 42 Old 07-28-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumm View Post
When I read things like this my first thought is, "Do you let your children ride in cars or use the bathroom?" That is where many more children die. Do your kids have the joy of bike riding and scootering? Climbing trees and sledding? Swimming out in the middle of the lake and then floating to watch the stars come out? Life can be messy and dangerous sometimes. I'm not gonna make my kid stay in the house and only experience life via a wii!
Well, actually Wii is off-limits, as is TV -- we don't even have them but I let her see them other places for the experience, and 4 wheelers are absolutely forbidden. Other things are okay with adequate supervision, even trampolines. But even the best parent could not supervise kids on a backyard trampoline the way I need it to be. But yes, dangerous as it is, horseback riding is okay (even though I know more families with hurt kids by horses than by trampolines) (but I can get homeowner's insurance with horses), and biking and all that. I suppose parents get to have their individual hangups. (like, not allowed to land an airplane until she has 100 hours flying--I don't care how old she is)
#24 of 42 Old 07-28-2009, 05:47 PM

We do not have a trampoline and we do not know anyone who does. However if we ever come across one, my rule is only one kid at a time!!!! Perhaps for very small and therefore light children, more is OK. But once a person is 40+ pounds, only one at a time.

In all of the trampoline threads, I have never seen my reason addressed..... When you have more than one person of substantial weight, a person can be "double-bounced" and go flying in an unpredictable path and height. I do not know the physics behind it (something about the natural frequency of the bounce) but I have experienced it many times as a kid. We used to do it on purpose I cannot believe I never got seriously hurt.

Anyone know what I am talking about?

Other than that, landing on each other, knocking heads, pushing each pother off, etc.... are also valid reasons to limit to one kid at a time.
#25 of 42 Old 07-29-2009, 04:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubfam View Post
isn't it super dangerous to have tons of kids on a trampoline at the same time???!!!
Nope, it isn't "super dangerous".

Allowing kids to play with live electrical lines is "super dangerous". Allowing kids to operate chainsaws and motorboats is "super dangerous". Not to be glib - allowing multiple kids on a trampoline at once is definitely more likely to cause injury than insisting that only one child at a time use the trampoline. It's also definitely more likely to cause fun!

I think the absolute most important rule is: MUST HAVE AN ENCLOSURE! Another important (for us) rule is: no toys of any kind on the trampoline (for fear of kids getting banged with sharp plastic toys, people falling on them and twisting ankles). We do limit the number of kids on a once, and remind them to be very gentle (or even have the older kids sit only) when bouncing with toddlers. It's been a wonderful toy.

Yes, some kids get hurt on trampolines. But anecdotally, there seems to be fewer kids breaking arms on playground equipment and out of trees and barns these days (compared to when I was a kid). I would suspect that overall we are averaging down on childhood accidents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandib50 View Post
a kid in my sister's town died because of trampoline injuries, and my friend had a teen guest on her trampoline and he broke his neck on her trampoline.
And have you stopped visiting midways at state fairs because occasionally there is a fatality on the rides? Have you stopped eating hamburgers at summer barbecues because every year someone dies from E.Coli?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanamommyphd07 View Post
To me, they're the same level of scary as someone keeping loaded guns between mattresses
The most restrained response I can muster is "hmmm. . . that's an interesting comparison".

Quote:
When I read things like this my first thought is, "Do you let your children ride in cars or use the bathroom?" That is where many more children die. Do your kids have the joy of bike riding and scootering? Climbing trees and sledding? Swimming out in the middle of the lake and then floating to watch the stars come out? Life can be messy and dangerous sometimes.
Thank you!

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#26 of 42 Old 07-29-2009, 06:13 AM

PHP Code:
And have you stopped visiting midways at state fairs because occasionally there is a fatality on the rides
never did ride them; they always seemed like an accident waiting to happen

PHP Code:
most important rule isMUST HAVE AN ENCLOSURE
i agree an inclosure is important but still, if there are multicple people jumping and one falls down (say behind another jumper) there is still a great chance of someone getting jumped on....as stated in pp, it happened to me. someone jumped on my hair and pulled alot of it out. i was lucky they missed my head/face/neck

as a side note: little legs can go through the springs even with an enclosure, so that is another reason i think that trampolines are unsafe.

#27 of 42 Old 07-29-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novella View Post
I think the absolute most important rule is: MUST HAVE AN ENCLOSURE!

!
I disagree with this. The most imporant rule is: JUMP WITH CONTROL. We made the decision not to have an enclosure after we saw that kids who tend to jump on enclosed tramps don't jump with as much control as those who do not. If you need an enclosure then you are not jumping properly. Once you do it alot you can flip and do crazy bounces and still control how you land.

Also it is a beast to shovel off an enclosed trampoline!

#28 of 42 Old 07-29-2009, 10:48 AM

Wow... we've had ours for six years and I think it would suck if only one kid could jump at once... I don't think there's been a single time that only one child has been on. It's no fun that way.

And, knock on wood, never once have we had a single injury.

I think it's fine. JMO, of course. I am a laid back mama and know bumps and bruises are okay - even though they've never had one from the trampoline! My 18 month old is a pro now, with about 6 months experience behind her.

ETA: We don't have an enclosure. It's a false sense of security. And still, not a single injury. Love our trampoline, best investment we ever made.

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::
#29 of 42 Old 07-29-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
It is used for many things besides jumping- we read, wrestle, eat, nurse, nap, talk and snuggle, etc. We put the sprinker on it and jump in the rain. We make cool igloos with the snow/ice we take off it. Terrible accidents happen with cars and bikes but I'm not going to keep my children from those items either. Instead we use the control we have and have fun with it.
My kids LOVE putting the sprinkler under it! Nothing cuter than five or six kids getting splashed on the tramp! So much fun!!

Yup - 600 people a year die walking across the kitchen floor. I will NOT bubble wrap my children. They can have fun!!

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::
#30 of 42 Old 07-29-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
I guess I'll answer since this was in part directed at my quote stating I wouldn't have a trampoline at my house.

My kids do ride in cars and I try very hard to make sure that they use the bathroom. We live on a small farm in the country, so my kids spend the majority of their free time outside, They scooter and ride bikes endlessly (with helmets, and knee/arm pads added in for the scooter). They have a wonderful climbing tree in which they hang out and read and eat popsicles. They balance on our stone walls and try to walk the lengths of them. They sled all winter and cross country ski on our property. One of my children trail rides, extensively, with a helmet, and if she's jumping, a protective vest. They do swim a lot, but no, they haven't swum out in a lake to watch the stars come out because I'm not comfortable with my kids swimming in our pond in the pitch black. Maybe when they're teens...we'll see. They collect eggs and tend to animals. They catch frogs and snakes like you can't believe.

Let's see, what else? Yes, life is messy, and I can honestly say my kids are messy all of the time. We do not own a Wii, so they don't experience life through that medium. And we do not have a trampoline.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page