Forum Jump: 

Old 08-23-2009, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelsJZ View Post
quote removed by mod
I'm not sure why you felt the need to tell him about this thread. What does he care? We are but pebbles to a company as big as SIGG.

I believe companies should be up front from the start. Being vague about the contents of the liner in the first place made me uneasy.
I'm sure this thread will now go 'poof' but it doesn't matter.
As long as some people now know about this issue.

Safety is my number one priority. And since this is the Family Safety forum, I figured the general public would like to know what's going on with SIGG.
I do hope that everyone with the old bottles will get a replacement if that is their wish.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2009, 07:26 PM

Wow so I spent all this money on these bottles for my child myself my 2 nephews my mother and sister Ds and I all together have over 6 what a wast of money and Ds LOVES his shark bottle so much I feel bad that he can no longer us it and my 2 beautiful bottles are now trash : I bought mine about 2 years ago I believe so they are most certainly the old liners!

Glenn bouncy.gif 11*09 Joe 4*04 peace.gif Me praying.gif & Hubby geek.gif

Quote:

Old 08-23-2009, 07:33 PM

Thats awful! Makes me glad that we went with Foogo's & Guyot Designs vs Sigg though! I was always suspicious there was something nasty in the liner since they refused to disclose ingredients, which was the main reason we went with stainless!!

ETA: Oh I also wanted to add that if you have Foogo cups you can get replacement parts from thermos - just call their customer service number! Straw sets are $1, and sippy lids (yellow part) are $2
Old 08-23-2009, 07:34 PM

OK, so what is safe to drink out of?!?!

HELP!!!

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

Old 08-23-2009, 08:56 PM

Big sale in our city today. Figured they would all be the old style but scored 2 with the new liner. I'm happy they were each 10 bucks off. I really like them. We have some I am pure steel thermos's but they are quite heavy comparitively.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatchristy View Post
OK, so what is safe to drink out of?!?!
I've never heard of any issues with stainless steel or glass.

coolshine.gif

Old 08-23-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadelbosque View Post

ETA: Oh I also wanted to add that if you have Foogo cups you can get replacement parts from thermos - just call their customer service number! Straw sets are $1, and sippy lids (yellow part) are $2
The kids have these in their lunches that is great to know.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
Old 08-23-2009, 09:28 PM

Daughter of Kali - sorry, I'm not so great at the responding to quotes by pieces Bear with me!

I'm not sure why you felt the need to tell him about this thread. What does he care? We are but pebbles to a company as big as SIGG.

I disagree. When I got my MA in Marketing it was drilled into our heads to never underestimate the impact that a small group of consumers can ultimately have on sales. MDC forums have a reputation for being influential, and the number of lurkers on this site far, far outweighs the number of registered users who post regularly. SIGG should know that word is spreading, their customers are talking, and we are very, very disappointed.

I believe companies should be up front from the start.

Agreed.

Being vague about the contents of the liner in the first place made me uneasy.

I wish I had been less complacent.

I'm sure this thread will now go 'poof' but it doesn't matter.
As long as some people now know about this issue.

Why do you think the thread will disappear? I haven't read anything on it that would merit that. Am I missing something?

Safety is my number one priority. And since this is the Family Safety forum, I figured the general public would like to know what's going on with SIGG.
I do hope that everyone with the old bottles will get a replacement if that is their wish.

I am grateful for the information shared.

Leeann, mama to 3*magic*kids: DD 1/03 DD 9/04 DS 8/06
Old 08-23-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post
I'm not sure why you felt the need to tell him about this thread. What does he care? We are but pebbles to a company as big as SIGG..
Not when you think how many people the original viewers of this post will tell- easily probably at least 10,000, and likely to be the right target population too. I think it was a great idea!
Old 08-23-2009, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

What I'm saying is that SIGG, I'm sure, feels that it covered itself. I've read their statement on their own website.

I just don't think a thread here is going to make a difference. Word is already out there on facebook, twitter, blogs, etc etc. Just another thread isn't going to matter, in my opinion.

Oh, and I also work in marketing. I didn't agree with much of what I was taught.
I believe in being honest with people. Yes, even in business when you're trying to sell something.

I will stand behind companies that I believe in.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

Old 08-24-2009, 12:14 AM

Now they really think I'm going to spend a penny to send these bottles back? They must be NUTS!, I'm returning the last set I bought and the single one with the old liner is getting thrown out.
Sigg can kiss my butt! I will not carry their product ever!
Old 08-24-2009, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post

Hmmmm, the CEO of this company responded immediately to my email. On a Sunday. With a resolution to my problem.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Now they really think I'm going to spend a penny to send these bottles back?
when they respond to me i am going to try to get them to pay return shipping....won't hurt to ask

::
Old 08-24-2009, 02:17 AM

Another newly-hit-over-the-head previous customer of SIGG here. I just read this on my local AP group's listserv was in disbelief. I only own 2 bottles since that's all I could afford, but it is truly so disappointing to find that this company wasn't honest from the start. Ugh. So unsurprisingly surprising, right?!
Well, I wrote on my Facebook wall, emailed my listserv group, emailed the CEO, and emailed the liners address listed (which bounced right back). And I'll keep telling everyone I know. That's a lot of users, mostly with kids.
The worst part is that ever since I bought this bottle, I've been so much happier with the 1 KK sippy we own. My kids can never screw the top open successfully without the whole top coming off. Then, when it is open and gets inevitably set upside down, it leaks everywhere. My girls aren't exactly crazy, but the things are all dented and peeling. And, ugh, they better pay for me to mail these pieces of BPA #$(% back to them. I'm not throwing them in the trash, as that's wasteful too. Thanks moms here in MDC land for a place to share our frustration at trying to do our best. We do try our best.

Married to my soul mate and best friend. Stay-at-home-mama, home-schooler to three magical little ones. And, blogging about a green, simple, frugal way life at rosiedreams.com.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:37 AM

that's IT!!! No corporation - NONE - can EVER be expected to do anything except pursue their profit. They don't "care" about their customers. Every time I think I found a company with some integrity, this happens.

I just wrote the CEO. Here's my letter:

Mr. Wasik - I just read your letter regarding the "new" liners in your SIGG bottles. I want you to know how thoroughly disappointed and disgusted I am with your company. I own 6 SIGG bottles (all the old liners) that I bought over the last 3 years SPECIFICALLY because I wanted a safe non-BPA alternative to plastic sippy cups for my son and drinking bottles for myself. At the time I first bought these bottles SIGG was marketing them as a "safe" alternative to plastic bottles, taking advantage of the BPA issues and concerns that parents had! All the time you KNEW your liners contained BPA and you never acknowledged it. And you've been formulating a new liner since 2006 - almost 4 years ago - and yet you didn't stop making the old liners, you didn't let it be known to all the customers who you knew belived your bottles to be BPA-free.

I bought these bottles for friends, family members, and birthday parties and I recommended them far and wide to other moms who had similar safety concerns for their children.

Please do not patronize me by telling me that "it does not leach". First, I don't believe that because you can only determine what will happen in a controlled laboratory environment, not in the real world when these products are used repeatedly every day. But second, that's not the point. The point is you should be honest about your products and what they contain and let your customers decide for themselves. We are not ignorant children who need to be protected from the truth. You hid the truth intentionally.

These bottles that I own are now trash as far as I'm concerned. But they cost me over $100. I want my money back and would like to know how I can go about returningthese.

I also have a friend who works at the corporate office of Whole Foods and I plan to talk with him about this issue. People assume that products like this sold at their stores are BPA free and I want to encourage them to discontinue selling SIGG bottles. You have made them a partner in duping the public and this does not reflect well on them either. I'm going to talk to my local store as well.

Sincerely,

Attachment-Parenting mom to darling DS : (January 2006). : : : : :
Old 08-24-2009, 03:42 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Wow, that sucks. I always thought their wording was weird -- it sounded very CYA with the "no detectable levels of BPA" or however they said it. I bought a Sigg bottle at REI once, brought it home and read the product insert, decided I didn't like the secretive language, and returned it the same day and got a Klean Kanteen instead.

I agree with those who said that all those single-wall bottles (Sigg and KK, and others) sweat and don't keep drinks cold, so we mostly use stainless steel Thermos products now, but I'm glad I got that KK early on instead of the Sigg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverscout View Post
I knew it! To the person who rolled their eyes at me and implied I was nuts for not trusting the liner because Sigg refused to say exactly what was in it or that it was "BPA free" ----> .
I kind of thought that too.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
Old 08-24-2009, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umami_mommy View Post
actually it looks like (if you read their website) they have been working since 2006 to develop a BPA free liner.
uh, yeah, they've been working since 2006 because they knew their liner had BPA in it. yet they never acknowledged it or stopped manufacturing the products with the old liners. I bought one just 6 months ago and it has the old liner! They knew people were buying them thinking they were safe and BPA free. Disgusting.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umami_mommy View Post
LOL, what companies do you feel you can trust? i'm not trying to be snarky, but i don't think "trust" is something you can really have confidence in regarding any company who's objective it is to make money. it's just the way capitalism works.
:

Old 08-24-2009, 04:21 AM

Mr. Wasik,

I will spare you of my feelings of betrayal on your company's behalf. I know there is a way to get an exchange for the BPA bottle I bought. However, I would like to get full refund as I no longer have trust in your product and will not be buying sigg bottles again.

Please advise on how to get my refund.

Thank you,
E***

Mama by day, crafter by night. Midnight Stitches.blowkiss.gif

Old 08-24-2009, 11:24 AM

This stinks.

My kids have been using their Sigg's DAILY for the past year. They represented an investment for us.

I feel embarrassed as well-the Sigg's had "cuter" designs, compared to the KK's, and that swayed my decision. I won't be fooled again by surface marketing.

ETA: I also e-mailed, although at this point I am sure they are overwhelmed with angry customers. I am really ticked.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:29 AM

Hmm. I'm going to have to try the CEO's e-mail address. I used the liners one over the weekend and it sounds like a lot of people who e-mailed after me have gotten a response and I haven't heard anything. :
Old 08-24-2009, 11:49 AM

if you bought your bottles at whole foods it may not be a bad idea just to return them there (if you just want a refund). they are great about returning things. i would hope they would not have to eat the cost (although they can afford it..haha) but surely they would return them to sigg and once again let sigg know by all the returns how angry people are!

Old 08-24-2009, 11:51 AM

anyone know what kind of liners are in the insulated thermoses? i have the big giant one that holds maybe a liter or more and also the small one with the handle. the liner looks silver...not goldish but they are not the new "eco" ones

Old 08-24-2009, 12:54 PM

I'm sure some of you will think I am crazy. But I am impressed that they are offering to replace all old bottles. That will be at a huge cost to them! And I think they did disclose that the old liner had traces of BPA used in manufacturing on their website last April when I was looking into what to get.

I was replacing Nalgene bottles at the time and this seemed like an improvement. We are now moving on to KK and glass jars.

I emailed Sigg at [email protected] Sunday night and got a response this morning (Monday). Is says to use the attached mailing label (not sure if it's postage paid) and mail all bottles (minus the caps, they suggest keep the caps as extras) and they will issue a pin# for credit twords replacment and shipping costs.

Not sure if I want to use the new bottles yet. But I don't think Sigg deserves to be portrayed as pure evil. Maybe I'm not as upset because I have a very low natural expectation of any and all commercial enterprises. I am even suspicious of most non-profits and charity organizations. So the fact that Sigg had an inferior product, took steps to correct it, the are now offering free replacement to all owners of the previous product. I just don't feel any outrage about this.

I'm more upset about all the pesticides on my produce and the BPA liners on my can food. And no, I don't work for Sigg, or own any stock, or know a single person who works for them.

Michelle , 20+ years with a wonderful DH
Mama to two boys, 12 and 10

Old 08-24-2009, 05:44 PM

FWIW, I got the same e-mail from the CEO of sigg that JewelsJZ referenced in her post (where did it go?). It remains to be seen how Sigg customer service handles this. I have been "referred" to customer service, but have no communication from them yet.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:01 PM

i called whole foods and they said they would return the siggs but after i drove all the way there they said that without a reciept they couldn't do anything since the value was over $20.

anyhow, i also called sigg and they said the thermous and insulated travel mug are stainless steel.

i asked about the lids and they said even the older ones are BPA-free #5 plastic

i am not saying i believe any of this to be true....i am just repeating what the lady who answered the phone said.

anyone know if this is true or not?

and.....they said they will send you a postage paid label when they contact you through email..i won't hold my breath!

Old 08-24-2009, 06:09 PM

I received a response very quickly as well, so you might want to try the email again. I plan on donating my new ones. I was unhappy with the quality of the lids and caps and tired of spending money to replace them. I was actually planning on tossing them next time I found them around the house. Z Recommends has a post about the quality of the new lining and it doesn't lok like something I want to deal with. We've been happy with Funtainers, Laken and Klean Kanteens here.

As far as what companies I trust, IMO there is a difference in a company that markets and sells their product for what it is (ie laundry soap, trash bags, deodorant) and one that actively markets itself deceptively which is what I believe Sigg did with its double talk. When the threads started popping up about which bottle to get, so many people chose Sigg over Klean Kanteen (which were the two main companies then) because KK was made in China and Sigg used a safe coating on their bottle. All the while Sigg was researching and retooling their equipment to make truly BPA-free bottles.

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
Old 08-24-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reducereuserecycle View Post
i called whole foods and they said they would return the siggs but after i drove all the way there they said that without a reciept they couldn't do anything since the value was over $20.

anyhow, i also called sigg and they said the thermous and insulated travel mug are stainless steel.

i asked about the lids and they said even the older ones are BPA-free #5 plastic

i am not saying i believe any of this to be true....i am just repeating what the lady who answered the phone said.

anyone know if this is true or not?

and.....they said they will send you a postage paid label when they contact you through email..i won't hold my breath!
I just sent mine back. they responded to my email with in the hour and I printed out ther lable. It was not postage paid but it only cost 4.95 to send the three bottles priority mail. They said to keep the lids as they are BPA free. I was very impressed with the way they handled it.

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
Old 08-24-2009, 11:02 PM

i wonder why they won't respond to me through email....i think i will call them back tomorrow.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reducereuserecycle View Post
i wonder why they won't respond to me through email....i think i will call them back tomorrow.
Use [email protected] and you get a response quickly.

And for anyone wondering, the return label is NOT postage paid. The state both in the email and on the label that it is not postage paid.

I'm just trying to figure out if it's fine for Canadians to do this as they don't state anywhere on the return form or return label that it's U.S. only, but on their web site they say they don't ship to Canada.

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle

User Tag List