SIGG bottles contained BPA - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 201 Old 09-02-2009, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.bigbottleswap.com/Home.html

Swap out your SIGG bottles for safe bottles at 30% off.

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 201 Old 09-02-2009, 04:19 PM

I just got my replacement bottle (in Canada) -- before they even received my old one. That's pretty good service! Apparently here they just choose one to send to you rather than you getting a voucher or code to use online and pick your own.

So I now, instead of a cute little pink and red one with a rabbit and a sheep on it that we got as a gift...we are the proud owners of a pink one with a princess riding a unicorn. Oh well.

I think they are handling this well for people to inquire directly, but I did have to inform a local baby shop the other day that some of the bottles they still have on the shelf were the old BPA liner. And in Canada BPA is not allowed in products for babies. Not sure I'm going to use my new princess bottle, we shall see how this pans out.
#123 of 201 Old 09-02-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2maya View Post
But what about if you leave your bottle out in the car on a hot day? Car interiors are purported to get up to over 100 degrees on an 80 degree day, what happens when it is actually summer hot, like 100 in the shade hot? That is what concerns me about the whole thing.
My background is chemical engineering, but this is all just opinion as I don't have any hard data. I think that stainless steel is a much safer bet than plastic or plastic-lined containers because of durability differences. Plastic breaks down very easily from heat, UV exposure, time, etc. Stainless steel breaks down much more slowly and requires much more extreme conditions to do so.

Then again, I guess I don't worry too much about the water in my SS water bottle (enviro products - like it a lot but pricey). We are never going to be able to drink completely pure water. There will always be contaminants, introduced anywhere from the source to the container. I would rather my contaminant be "natural" - elemental or biologic - than manufactured.
#124 of 201 Old 09-11-2009, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverscout View Post
Theoretically, trace amounts of the metals could transfer. I don't think "leaching" would be an accurate term though. But unless you're heating it or putting acidic food in it, it's unlikely anything would transfer. Either way, I don't think it's not cause for concern.
I'm a tap water drinker, in a city with really good water. But still, there are probably worse things in the water already then what might leach from the bottle.

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#125 of 201 Old 09-16-2009, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
for those of you who have turned in their Sigg bottles, have you received any response? I sent mine in a couple of weeks ago, they should have arrived in 1 possibly to 2 business days. I haven't heard anything yet. Just wondering if anyone has had their Siggs processed and how long it takes.
#126 of 201 Old 09-16-2009, 12:10 PM

I saw the CEO made an apology last week & there is now a global exchange program where you can print out your own label from a link on their site. It also seems like they are saying they will replace the bottle as close to the original color/design as possible? No more refunds/credits????
http://mysigg.com/bulletin/exchange_program.html

Wegman's & Whole Foods are now also taking them back in the stores as part of the exchange program.

If you sent yours back early on, with the return label you got in your email from contacting them, you got a store credit right? Could it be used on anything at Sigg?

Has anyone returned in person to a retailer yet? Did you have to get new bottles or did you get store credit?

I have a mailing label from when I reached out to them but hadn't had a chance to get to the post office yet. Wondering if it means I will get bottles back or I will get a refund?

ONE LAST QUESTION:
I noticed on their site they mention that if you have a new liner bottle & the liner is chipping at all, to return it immediately. That scares me. When will they announce what is in the new liner & why must the bottle be returned?

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#127 of 201 Old 09-16-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellairiesmom View Post
ONE LAST QUESTION:
I noticed on their site they mention that if you have a new liner bottle & the liner is chipping at all, to return it immediately. That scares me. When will they announce what is in the new liner & why must the bottle be returned?
I haven't read the whole thread, but with regard to this particular question, one reason I never bought SIGG bottles is because they have aluminum underneath the liner and aluminum IS a reactive metal. They have always touted the liners as unbreakable, un-crackable, etc. but I have friends who have said that their SIGG liners have cracked upon repeated impact (because, face it, we drop these things all the time -- my Klean Kanteen is all beaten up!). My guess -- and this is only a guess -- is that if the integrity of their new liner isn't perfect, then that aluminum is exposed.
#128 of 201 Old 09-16-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
I must admit when SIGG and KleanKanteen first became "popular" among the green crowds, I opted for the KK because I didn't trust a company who wouldn't say what was in their liner. I remember they didn't list the ingredients, and it always seemed suspicious to me. Like what are you hiding? So, I went with KK - just stainless steel seemed good, though I had to compromise my "don't buy from China" rule for them.

I'm totally paranoid about stuff like that, though. I have to have full disclosure or I don't buy. I'm sorry to see that SIGG put BPA in their liners. This is something they absolutely should have disclosed!
This was exactly my situation.

I was uncomfortable with the idea of the mystery lining. I was concerned with the materials used, how it would age, would the lining deteriorate, etc. Using aluminum and coating it seemed silly when you could just use stainless steel with no coating required.

By contrast, the Klean Kanteens clearly stated they were not coated on the inside - just 100% stainless steel. They can be put through the dishwasher, they can be scrubbed, you can put anything in them (I think Sigg said you couldn't put acidic things like orange juice in them).

Full disclosure or I won't buy, I agree. I hope they will offer refunds.

dog2.gifcrochetsmilie.gif Lovin' my sweetheart, pregnant with #1 (EDD Feb.2013) stork-suprise.gif

#129 of 201 Old 09-16-2009, 03:06 PM

someone posted that you can take the bottle to whole foods and get replacements (if you want them). i called the one close to us and you can! so if there is a whole foods near you and you want a new bottle they will exchange it for you, and then they ship them back to Sigg and get the money i guess.

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#130 of 201 Old 09-16-2009, 03:11 PM

We took ours back to our local health foods store. One was really beat up.. dented and chipped.. and they took them back, gave us a gift card for store credit (like $50 worth!) and we replaced them with Kleen Kanteens. I don't want to do business with a company that is dishonest, and I have heard the new liner isn't any better. No links word of mouth about silver partials being worse for you than the BPA. shrug. I will just stick with Kleen Kanteen now.
#131 of 201 Old 09-16-2009, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

If you take it to Whole Foods, do you need the cover? I think I threw the cover out when I was planning on sending it back to SIGG.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#132 of 201 Old 09-16-2009, 04:50 PM

I also sent mine out a few weeks ago and have not heard anything yet either.

I finally bit the bullet and purchased new Klean Kanteens for the rest of the family. It was hard to spend, as money is tight right now. But I am glad I did. We will just have cheaper meals this month.

I suppose I will use the Sigg credit (whenever it does show up) for gifts.

Michelle , 20+ years with a wonderful DH
Mama to two boys, 12 and 10

#133 of 201 Old 09-16-2009, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post
someone posted that you can take the bottle to whole foods and get replacements (if you want them). i called the one close to us and you can! so if there is a whole foods near you and you want a new bottle they will exchange it for you, and then they ship them back to Sigg and get the money i guess.

h
oh, I am soooo bummed that I missed that post. I would have turned mine in to whole foods in a heartbeat! I would have not had to pay for shipping either, bummer. Too late now. My plan was to get the stainless steel mugs and the knife, fork and spoon which is also stainless steel.
#134 of 201 Old 09-16-2009, 11:09 PM

Ok-we went into WF tonight. They are taking them back & giving new bottles OR store credit. But she is stating that for store credit, they need the lids back too. Not sure why that matters & if every associate/store will require the lids for the refunds but I am sure it is worth a try.

I forgot to ask them about my bottles with the new liners that are chipping away & if they will take those back so I will have to follow up on that...

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#135 of 201 Old 09-17-2009, 12:23 AM

Logan's Mom thank you for posting your plan. I just spent some time looking around the sigg site and I love that utensil set! We pack lunches all the time and that looks great. And I had no clue they sold stainless steel mugs.

Forget the gifts idea, I think I will be getting something for myself instead! Thanks! Now I just need that email and pin# they promised.:

#136 of 201 Old 09-17-2009, 01:09 AM

I returned my four Siggs to Whole Foods today. The Siggs were pretty beat up and dented, and I had no receipt, but the Whole Foods people were cheerful and thrilled to exchange them for us.

In our family we'll use the new ones with the new liners. I feel okay about that.
#137 of 201 Old 09-17-2009, 12:32 PM

Wegmans is accepting returned Sigg bottles as well. I returned ours w/o lids and received cash. Hope this helps!

Baking,, Chuck Taylor Wearing, , SAHMom of 2.
#138 of 201 Old 09-17-2009, 10:00 PM

All stores selling SIGG products have been notified by SIGG to accept returns of any and all bottles with the old liner in exchange for bottles with the new liner.
#139 of 201 Old 09-17-2009, 10:32 PM

Just an FYI, Sigg is not giving credit, just replacing the bottles. No pin number either. I just received my replacements today. They sent me an email, had me verify my address and which bottles I wanted to replace the ones I sent (exact same size, etc.). As far as I know, they are just replacing the bottles, not letting you order something else instead.

mom to the amazing one 10/04 the wife 10/01
#140 of 201 Old 09-17-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugginsmom View Post
Just an FYI, Sigg is not giving credit, just replacing the bottles. No pin number either. I just received my replacements today. They sent me an email, had me verify my address and which bottles I wanted to replace the ones I sent (exact same size, etc.). As far as I know, they are just replacing the bottles, not letting you order something else instead.
I am so disappointed to hear that! Had I know, I would have returned all 9 of my bottles to Whole Foods and walked away with groceries instead.

Leeann, mama to 3*magic*kids: DD 1/03 DD 9/04 DS 8/06
#141 of 201 Old 09-17-2009, 10:51 PM

That works for me. I sent one 1l, 2 .6l, and one .4l and hope that they get back to me soon for my replacements. I wanted to replace with the same bottles anyway, not sure what else I would do with the credit anyway.
#142 of 201 Old 09-17-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasciate View Post
All stores selling SIGG products have been notified by SIGG to accept returns of any and all bottles with the old liner in exchange for bottles with the new liner.
Good thing our store gave us store credit. I will never buy from SIGG again.
#143 of 201 Old 09-18-2009, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaLa View Post
I returned my four Siggs to Whole Foods today. The Siggs were pretty beat up and dented, and I had no receipt, but the Whole Foods people were cheerful and thrilled to exchange them for us.

In our family we'll use the new ones with the new liners. I feel okay about that.

I wish I had done this. I mailed mine back to Sigg. One .3l and two .6l. They sent me an email saying we received your 1L bottle??? I was so mad as I put each one down on the sheet they had me print out and I mailed them together in one box. Arghh. They sent back an email saying they were looking into it....

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
#144 of 201 Old 09-18-2009, 01:02 AM

I got my email from Sigg today. There is a pin # and the credit amount for what I sent them. The exact dollar amount to replace what I sent. It just says to use the pin as a gift certificate code on my replacement purchase. No mention of restrictions on what I can buy. We'll see...

ETA- I just placed my order at Sigg. I returned three bottles, and used the credit to purchase a large stainless steel thermos, stainless steel travel mug, and a little kid bag. No problems. I have .99 cents (not much, but useful if you go over) left on my credit if you want it Logan's Mom? Thanks again for the purchase ideas.

#145 of 201 Old 09-18-2009, 01:39 AM

I sent them 7 bottles three weeks ago and haven't heard a thing yet...I'm going to be very upset if they don't have them!

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#146 of 201 Old 09-18-2009, 04:33 PM

I sent my Sigg bottle back on 08/26 and recieved an email on 09/15 asking me which 0.6 L bottle I wanted as a replacement. I sent an email back that evening with the name of the bottle and on 9/16 recieved an email that the bottle had shipped with a FedEx tracking number. Per FedEx it is on its way.

I do know at our local Whole Foods they are taking them back (I found out after I mailed mine!) and letting you pick any other bottle - Sigg or another brand with a credit.

Mama to DS (03/09) and DD (10/11) and married to the love of my life

#147 of 201 Old 09-18-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich View Post
I got my email from Sigg today. There is a pin # and the credit amount for what I sent them. The exact dollar amount to replace what I sent. It just says to use the pin as a gift certificate code on my replacement purchase. No mention of restrictions on what I can buy. We'll see...

ETA- I just placed my order at Sigg. I returned three bottles, and used the credit to purchase a large stainless steel thermos, stainless steel travel mug, and a little kid bag. No problems. I have .99 cents (not much, but useful if you go over) left on my credit if you want it Logan's Mom? Thanks again for the purchase ideas.
hmmmm...I wonder why different people are having it fixed differently. I know of two other people who were just offered the replacements too, no pin or credit amount. Did you order your original bottles directly from Sigg? Not that it matters, it is just interesting....

mom to the amazing one 10/04 the wife 10/01
#148 of 201 Old 09-18-2009, 04:58 PM

They have yet to get back to me and it has been a whole week. The original email said they were going to give me credit. The latest email said they wanted me to pick a replacement. I purchased mine at WFM. I should have just returned them there what a PIA!!

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
#149 of 201 Old 09-18-2009, 05:21 PM

That's so weird that the responses are so different. I received a response to my original email on 8/26 with the return form and shipping label. It said I would receive an email with a pin # for replacement purchase with free shipping. It took me a few days to actually mail it out.

I originally purchased the bottles from reusablebags.com in March 08.

#150 of 201 Old 09-18-2009, 06:08 PM

I got a code today for $140...I found hidden on their web site their clearance stainless bottles for 19.99...I went with those...figured if I can't get Kleen Kanteens, I might as well get other stainless bottles...
http://mysigg.com/index.asp?PageActi...TS&Category=74

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page