SIGG bottles contained BPA - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 201 Old 08-21-2009, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just found out that SIGG bottles DID have BPA in the liner.
Some SIGG bottles in stores may still have the BPA liner so make sure you are buying the newer ones (if you continue to buy their bottles).

I'm not sure if I can post a link here but you can either check out their own site or pm me for link to another site with an article about it.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#2 of 201 Old 08-21-2009, 06:07 PM

i can't believe it. just when you think that you are doing the right thing. i wish that these companies would be honest from the very beginning. just think of how many of these bottles are out there. WFM and REI sell tons of these. in fact, we each have one in our household.

ahhhh!!!!!!!!:

i just found this http://mysigg.com/liner/

all of ours have the old liner. :

mama to cecilia and rosa with 1 old:
#3 of 201 Old 08-21-2009, 10:15 PM

I am SHOCKED not to see more MDC mamas posting about this. There were a gazillion Sigg/BPA/KK threads when all the BPA stuff hit the fan.

And I am SO MAD that I spent $100+ last year to replace all of our water bottles and sippies with Siggs.

::::: (one little irked person for each Sigg drinkin' member of my family!)
Leeann

Leeann, mama to 3*magic*kids: DD 1/03 DD 9/04 DS 8/06
#4 of 201 Old 08-21-2009, 10:23 PM

::: (that's for the three bottles I have to now trash).

What a WASTE!

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
#5 of 201 Old 08-21-2009, 10:36 PM

I've always been suspicious of that "enamel" lining. It was impossible to tell what it was made of by looking on their website. We opted for stainless bottles, but be aware that the inside of them can be coated too.
#6 of 201 Old 08-21-2009, 10:44 PM

You can email them at liner@sigg.com for a replacement. I'm planning on donating the three replacements we get. I refuse to use anything by a company I can't trust.

eta: i was also surprised there isn't a bigger thread about this. Personally, I'm boiling mad!

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#7 of 201 Old 08-21-2009, 10:45 PM

Ugh. That really irks me. I thought we'd done the right thing in buying Siggs for DD and that we'd avoided the whole BPA issue. Now it turns out that she's been sucking on it for several years. :

We can't really afford to replace them right away either. I assume the Siggs are still safer than a standard plastic sports bottle, so we'll have to use what we have and replace them as we go along.

How irritating!

Homeschooling, etsy-crafting Mama to spunky DD (12-04) and wife to DH.

#8 of 201 Old 08-21-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimid View Post
You can email them at liner@sigg.com for a replacement. I'm planning on donating the three replacements we get. I refuse to use anything by a company I can't trust.
Can you give me some more info on that? I'd love to have ours replaced. We have six of them.

Homeschooling, etsy-crafting Mama to spunky DD (12-04) and wife to DH.

#9 of 201 Old 08-21-2009, 10:51 PM

Wow. DH was right. I'm glad I listened to him.

:Mama to 2 :
#10 of 201 Old 08-21-2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henny penny View Post
We opted for stainless bottles, but be aware that the inside of them can be coated too.
How can you tell? The ones we have don't appear to have any coating -- how can I be sure?
#11 of 201 Old 08-21-2009, 11:14 PM

I would love more info on replacement as well.

Thank you!

Michelle , 20+ years with a wonderful DH
Mama to two boys, 12 and 10

#12 of 201 Old 08-21-2009, 11:26 PM

Holy batman! Those things are darned expensive! Well, I've got a bunch to replace, too. :

Laura - Mom to ds (10) and dd (7) "Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life." Brian Andreas.

#13 of 201 Old 08-21-2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2mygirl View Post
Wow. DH was right. I'm glad I listened to him.
How did he know?
#14 of 201 Old 08-21-2009, 11:37 PM

I just found this article on Tree Hugger and then this follow up article.

The bad thing is that the old SIGG bottles had BPA in there liner. The good thing is that there was no detectable amounts of BPA leached in water. I am still going to get mine replaced but I am not too worried that I have bee drinking BPA.

Scarlett bfinfant.gif , DH Boris geek.gif , DS 1/29/08 Julian kid.gif DD2 6/7/12 babygirl.gif missing our DD 1/06/06 Sonja angel3.gif and MC @ 9 wks 11/18/06 Satchel  angel.gif

#15 of 201 Old 08-21-2009, 11:46 PM

sigh....another frustrated Sigg owner here

I'm seriously considering just carrying around a glass jar of water with me everywhere I go now. I already use jars as glasses around the house- why not just screw on a lid and take it to go?

Amanda- mama to Lincoln 1/09 and expecting #2 10/11!
#16 of 201 Old 08-21-2009, 11:54 PM

This makes me so mad. I bought ours (with the old liners) last Aug, and it was so hard to find them that I had to go to a bunch of stores. I thought I was doing the best by my family and the word was that sigg was so popular because of the BPA stories in the news that they couldn't keep up with demand. Not so. I guess they were working so hard to manuf. their new lined bottles, but had no problem with me buying the old kind. Nice.

Katherine mother to DS 8/03 and DD1 9/06 and DD2 6/10
#17 of 201 Old 08-22-2009, 12:36 AM

The email to Sigg is not loger being used..."email rejected by recipient" Off to buy a bunch more Klean Kanteens!

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#18 of 201 Old 08-22-2009, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henny penny View Post
I've always been suspicious of that "enamel" lining. It was impossible to tell what it was made of by looking on their website. We opted for stainless bottles, but be aware that the inside of them can be coated too.
: I know everywhere said it was safe, but I kept thinking I might as well go with "less" stuff ya know?

"Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free, 'tis the gift to come down where you ought to be."
#19 of 201 Old 08-22-2009, 02:44 AM

Geez this makes me want to cry. I spent HOURS and HOURS reading about water bottles and liners.

I felt comforted by their reputation and words about their "Special safe liner".

They lied, they hid it and pretended it was special and didn't want anyone copying it, but the truth is they used the same cheap stuff everyone else did and trumped it into something it never was.

I feel really angry.

The damned things are so overpriced, and to find out you aren't even "buying" a measure of safety. Just so unbelievable.
#20 of 201 Old 08-22-2009, 02:50 AM

Yeah I read the link too, and I'm stuck with 4 bottles I bought in 2006. I treated them like gold so they're nearly new looking.

They're also being sold this week at a local chain store at a deep discount too. I was going to pick another couple up but I'm glad I didn't.

Dh is saying that there will probably be a class lawsuit in the works. I think I might hold onto my bottles just incase SIGG does the right thing and offers a refund.

Meanwhile I'm off to hunt out some jelly jars with handles to use as my take out water container....sigh..

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#21 of 201 Old 08-22-2009, 02:58 AM

wow...I remember reading about their "special" coating - they knew we were all concerned about bpa, plastics, aluminum and linings - and now this comes out??

I'm glad I went with the stainless steel foogos (the aluminum and special coating made me nervous about siggs and they were harder to find here, so stainless it was).

I'm sorry for you mamas and your old siggs. Shame on them!

Kelly , mama to 4yo and 1yo ,
#22 of 201 Old 08-22-2009, 03:00 AM

Quote:
I'm seriously considering just carrying around a glass jar of water with me everywhere I go now. I already use jars as glasses around the house- why not just screw on a lid and take it to go?
there is not much money to be made in that common sense venture!

of course you could just use a glass jar! our drinking glasses are canning jars and we use them as tupperware for leftovers, lunch at work, salad dressing, salsa, etc...

why bother spending tons of money on any water bottles if you might as well just use glass jars?

Katie
#23 of 201 Old 08-22-2009, 03:00 AM

I must admit when SIGG and KleanKanteen first became "popular" among the green crowds, I opted for the KK because I didn't trust a company who wouldn't say what was in their liner. I remember they didn't list the ingredients, and it always seemed suspicious to me. Like what are you hiding? So, I went with KK - just stainless steel seemed good, though I had to compromise my "don't buy from China" rule for them.

I'm totally paranoid about stuff like that, though. I have to have full disclosure or I don't buy. I'm sorry to see that SIGG put BPA in their liners. This is something they absolutely should have disclosed!

First special delivery - April 2010 :
#24 of 201 Old 08-22-2009, 03:53 AM

Oh.my.god. I find this really sickening to learn. I too researched this and decided to get the siggs rather than plastic. We have 4 of them.

What is really making me mad is that I pumped for my first child and used the "best" bottle at the time, Avent. Full of BPA. Now I have been trying really hard to avoid exposing him to more of it, and I find out he's been drinking it pretty much every day of his life.

I hope there is a class action suit and I will be in it. No receipts anymore, but I do have my bottles.
#25 of 201 Old 08-22-2009, 06:16 AM

lovely

Mama to my spirited J, and L, my homebirth: baby especially DTaP, MMR (family vax injuries)
#26 of 201 Old 08-22-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmansions View Post
I hope there is a class action suit and I will be in it.
Me, too. We switched to KK about 2 years ago because of mold issues with the Siggs, but it's reprehensible for Sigg to have been hiding lies behind their "trademarked secret lining." I'm also curious why they bothered to reveal it in the first place. Someone must have figured it out or I doubt they'd have ever revealed it.
#27 of 201 Old 08-22-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmansions View Post
Oh.my.god. I find this really sickening to learn. I too researched this and decided to get the siggs rather than plastic. We have 4 of them.

What is really making me mad is that I pumped for my first child and used the "best" bottle at the time, Avent. Full of BPA. Now I have been trying really hard to avoid exposing him to more of it, and I find out he's been drinking it pretty much every day of his life.

I hope there is a class action suit and I will be in it. No receipts anymore, but I do have my bottles.

I just wanted to say I too did that with my first (our son) bought the whole Advent line, pump bottles the whole bit, I even bought the adapters to attach to the Medela pump so I could pump right into the Advent bottles (because that was better than pumping into the Medela bottles , then yeah a sigg bottle for him. :

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#28 of 201 Old 08-22-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimid View Post

eta: i was also surprised there isn't a bigger thread about this. Personally, I'm boiling mad!
LOL, what companies do you feel you can trust? i'm not trying to be snarky, but i don't think "trust" is something you can really have confidence in regarding any company who's objective it is to make money. it's just the way capitalism works.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#29 of 201 Old 08-22-2009, 10:54 AM

So glad this was posted! Darn, it's sad b/c DH and I both have KK and DD uses her Sigg all day every day. Ugh.

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !
#30 of 201 Old 08-22-2009, 11:10 AM

I knew it! To the person who rolled their eyes at me and implied I was nuts for not trusting the liner because Sigg refused to say exactly what was in it or that it was "BPA free" ----> .

coolshine.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page