Does Your Hospital ... ? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 88 Old 09-23-2009, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetMC View Post
Does your hospital check your child restraint before you can be discharged? Are the people who do the checks knowledgeable?
They only checked to make sure that we had a carseat. They never checked how it was installed in the car and I'm not sure that they're trained to do so.

Joy wife to DH, mom to DS1 (4/2005): DD (5/2007) : : DS2 (1/2009 :
I do what works and when it stops working, then I do something else.
#62 of 88 Old 09-23-2009, 12:26 PM

We had to carry the baby out of the hospital in his seat, and they just watched us put it in the car, didn't 'check' anything tho.
#63 of 88 Old 09-23-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoLawyer View Post
I've always wondered: Do hospitals require babies to leave in a safety seat if they're going home via bus, subway, or stroller/carrier?
Yes, and I had a friend that had issues because she didn't have a car seat just a stoller.
#64 of 88 Old 09-23-2009, 01:50 PM

The hospital where I delivered just asked if we had a car seat and never actually saw it as it was a convertible.

This weekend we were in an accident and went to the ER in an ambulance (everyone is fine). DS rose in his seat in the ambulance. When my MIL picked us up the nurse walked out to the car with us to make sure we were installing the car seat. When I put it in RF she asked, how much does he weigh and I explained that our car seat does up to 35 pounds RF.

When she saw me fiddling around with the car seat as much as I was(it is a bear getting DS's seat in MIL's car), she went back inside. On our way out I mentioned to MIL that we were going to have to buy a new car seat and that we were only using the old to go home. The nurse said "oh yeah, you can't reuse the seat." She said trauma centers have back up seats for parents to use but that their hospital was not a trauma center. I wonder if she would have said anything about replacing the seat if I hadn't.

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#65 of 88 Old 09-23-2009, 05:58 PM

My hospital just checked the seat part not the base. The NICU nurse made sure the baby was strapped in properly and used a rolled up receiving blanket for his head.
We had already had the seat checked by the police who do the checks in conjunction with the hospital several times a year a month before I gave birth.

Mama to one 2 yr. old tornado banana.gif
#66 of 88 Old 09-23-2009, 06:02 PM

[QUOTE=pammysue;14425182].

. On our way out I mentioned to MIL that we were going to have to buy a new car seat and that we were only using the old to go home. QUOTE]

You may know this already but you don't always need a new seat after an accident. I know there's a website with questions that will tell you if you need to replace the seat or not. It depends on how bad your accident was. Of course if there's visible damage to the seat it needs replacing. Sorry about your accident!

Mama to one 2 yr. old tornado banana.gif
#67 of 88 Old 09-23-2009, 06:06 PM

It also depends on the manufacturer. Most companies mandate replacement after any accident.

CPST
#68 of 88 Old 09-23-2009, 06:08 PM

[QUOTE=Latte Mama;14426909]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pammysue View Post

. On our way out I mentioned to MIL that we were going to have to buy a new car seat and that we were only using the old to go home. QUOTE]

You may know this already but you don't always need a new seat after an accident. I know there's a website with questions that will tell you if you need to replace the seat or not. It depends on how bad your accident was. Of course if there's visible damage to the seat it needs replacing. Sorry about your accident!
Well, the car was totaled and the seat was not in its normal position after the crash so we definitely were going to replace the seat. The replacement cost is being covered by the insurance company.

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#69 of 88 Old 09-23-2009, 06:21 PM

I think our discharge nurse told us to bring the seat in but I don't know that they were really checking it. However, idiot that I was, I accepted it when the discharge nurse buckled her in and then put the blanket over her so I couldn't see the straps--I figured she must know better than I would how to buckle na infant in when I'd never done it before. Yeah. Got home and the straps that go over the thighs were UNDER her legs. We unbuckled her and were like "WTH? Is it going to be this complicated every time?" and then I saw what the idiot nurse had done. I'm ashamed to say I haven't sent my long letter of complaints yet but it's still in progress. I don't *think* she was usually on "discharge duty," thankfully, but if we ever end up birthing in a hospital again, no way would I let that escape my notice OR let the nurse get away without listening to quite a rant.

Rachel, mama to Lucy, born 9.9.07, and Caroline, born 2.25.10!
#70 of 88 Old 09-23-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
I would not be okay with that. I like to hold my babies. Why would they have to be in their seat IN the hospital?
It was awkward, but since I was going straight from the wheelchair to the car, I didn't mind it that much.
#71 of 88 Old 09-23-2009, 10:25 PM

What kills me is when hospitals make women ride in wheelchairs.

I've never heard of that here, and I had a c/s for my last baby.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#72 of 88 Old 09-23-2009, 10:34 PM

I carried dd in my arms while they wheeled me to the doors of the hospital. The nurse came with us to check that we had a car seat. She didn't help us any at all and we could have used it. The car that we had installed the seat in originally wound up not making it to the hospital so DH had to go home uninstall the seat and re-install it and he was clueless. I was still a bit too weak to be much help.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#73 of 88 Old 09-23-2009, 10:47 PM

i had to ride in a wheel chair (had a c-section, but they make everyone) down to the car... they started to fuss at me for dh carrying baby in the seat down, but if he would have been on my lap in the wheel chair, the seat would have been right on my incision, so they let it slide. normally the baby has to be in the seat, in moms lap, in the wheel chair for the ride downstairs

and mine was another hospital that wont let you walk around the halls holding the baby. if youre out of the room, he has to be in the bassinet

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#74 of 88 Old 09-23-2009, 10:53 PM

I had to ride in a wheelchair carrying ds in his bucket seat along with my other bags and paraphernalia down to the lobby. I wanted to send my mom with all the stuff including the carseat, to pull up the car, and walk down holding ds, but they wouldn't let me. But then again, every time they took him to the nursery for stuff they also insisted he be in a bassinet pushed by a nurse and I be in a wheelchair (that I wasn't allowed to wheel myself) following behind, so it took a whole procession of people. FTR I was fine to walk like 5 minutes after the placenta came out, lol. The doc hadn't even stiched me up yet and I jumped up and was like "I have to pee, I'll be back"

All reasons why I don't want to give birth in a hospital again....crazy policies.

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

#75 of 88 Old 09-23-2009, 11:08 PM

We had this crazy checkout policy, where the pediatric nurse TOLD us we were okay to go, but I still had to get discharged by my doctor. So we got that, and then my nurse tells me that DS isn't discharged yet. Even though we had it in writing that he was, nobody had told my nurses station.

Anyway, I also had to ride in a wheelchair carrying ds in his car seat down to the lobby. They might have wanted to make me carry all my stuff, but while we were waiting, DH took everything else to the car.

My nurse was also pretty clueless, she couldn't get the footrests right on my wheelchair. I rode the whole way with them at a strange unusable angle. She didn't check the installation, just that we had DS in the seat. (She might have checked the seat straps, but not the base.)

Unitarian Universalist Pagan
#76 of 88 Old 09-24-2009, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post

That's so weird. I didn't even get offered one. But the hospital I had DD in doesn't have tray service for mom's for food either. I asked the nurse and she said mom's aren't sick so they can get their own food. I thought that was awesome. They do bring you food if you've had a C-section or feel like crap, but they strongly strongly encourage you to get up and walk around.

obstruct livery vehicles

#77 of 88 Old 09-24-2009, 12:40 AM
~pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoLawyer View Post
I've always wondered: Do hospitals require babies to leave in a safety seat if they're going home via bus, subway, or stroller/carrier?
As pps indicated, sometimes.

However, ours did not. We took the streetcar to the hospital in the first place, and then took DS home in a pouch on the streetcar nearly a week later. It's a downtown hospital in a big city with very limited and very expensive parking, so I got the impression that they are used to people doing that.

They did ask us if we had a car seat, told us that they have car seats available for people who don't have one, and talked to us about proper installation and buckling. Then, like the reasonable human beings that they clearly were, they assumed that we were adults capable of running our own lives, wished us well, and saw us on our way.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#78 of 88 Old 09-24-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~pi View Post
As pps indicated, sometimes.

However, ours did not. We took the streetcar to the hospital in the first place, and then took DS home in a pouch on the streetcar nearly a week later. It's a downtown hospital in a big city with very limited and very expensive parking, so I got the impression that they are used to people doing that.

They did ask us if we had a car seat, told us that they have car seats available for people who don't have one, and talked to us about proper installation and buckling. Then, like the reasonable human beings that they clearly were, they assumed that we were adults capable of running our own lives, wished us well, and saw us on our way.
It's probably because I'm an Ameircan, but I love that sentence
#79 of 88 Old 09-24-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post

As a teen, my DH volunteered at a hospital, and the policy at that hospital was that the baby had to ride in the arms of someone in the wheelchair for discharge, but didn't specify that it had to be the mother.

At least once, he wheeled a father holding the baby in the wheelchair while the mother walked with a bag.
#80 of 88 Old 09-24-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Here, if you have a convertible we wheel the baby in the bassinet to the doors (hospital policy that parent's can't carry babies in the hall, they have to be in the bassinet ) and then check the baby's fit in the car. We do have to see the baby properly buckled in before they leave, but no reason we can't see that in the car However, some nurses aren't aware of the policy and insist parents bring the seat in
Do you work at Mat-su or Providence? With both of my kids they insisted we bring our convertable in and both times it was very difficult to explain why we couldn't do that. They finally allowed us to wheel the bssinet to the door and check baby buckled up in the car but they acted like it never happend before and it was quite annoying. They really need a better policy that all the nurses know.

Dianna environmentally educated tree hugging mom of dd 9/06 and ds 10/08 newbie dd 9/10
#81 of 88 Old 09-25-2009, 02:45 PM

Here they don't check, and I wouldn't let them anyway. I would leave AMA first - quite frankly insisting on even having a car seat is a) elitist and b) a little big brotherish to me (I'm in Canada) My Radian was installed by a tech, and checked over at an OPP car seat clinic... but I tend to be difficult when it comes to 'have to' situations anyway.

Full time working mom to two bright and busy little girls! treehugger.gif
#82 of 88 Old 09-25-2009, 09:10 PM

both checked baby was in the seat, but did not check that seat was in car correctly. the people were not approved/certified or whatever, so they could not do that part

: Mother (4/11/06) to Josephine and (4/23/09) to Oliver and baby (due June 1st)

Babies: Angel (6/29/02), Tiberius (3/8/11), Lillianna (12/27/11)

#83 of 88 Old 09-26-2009, 06:22 AM

For DS, we had to bring the seat to the front desk and show them the baby in it. The straps were a little loose so they helped me tighten them before we left. They did not go out to the car to make sure that the seat was installed correctly.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#84 of 88 Old 10-29-2009, 04:35 PM

No, they do not check the car seat. I don't think they even waited for DH to bring the car around. I only had a wheel chair down at all because I had a csection.

Mom to Kira March 2009
#85 of 88 Old 10-29-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceinwen View Post
Here they don't check, and I wouldn't let them anyway. I would leave AMA first - quite frankly insisting on even having a car seat is a) elitist and b) a little big brotherish to me (I'm in Canada) My Radian was installed by a tech, and checked over at an OPP car seat clinic... but I tend to be difficult when it comes to 'have to' situations anyway.

#86 of 88 Old 10-29-2009, 05:19 PM

They wanted to check, but we have a TrueFit, and it took forever for dp and I to get installed properly. There was no way I was going to take it out. DP likely couldn't have gotten it in right on his own. They were more than welcome to come out and check, though (but didn't).
They were confused, but said OK and told us to go to a seat check soon.
I don't know if it made a difference, but we used a midwife.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#87 of 88 Old 10-29-2009, 06:00 PM
Banned

All are supposed to, but not all do.
#88 of 88 Old 10-29-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelle C. View Post
All are supposed to, but not all do.
do you mean, where you live or in general?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page