I SO want to say something. (Bumbo on table) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 46 Old 09-22-2009, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngfrankenstein View Post
That's a bit harsh. We all take risks. We weigh the options and make a choice. I don't think that makes the pp an idiot. She obviously learned a lesson because of the accident. I'm sure she feels bad enough.
I'm not saying she's is an idiot, and I'm saying exactly the same thing you are - we all weigh options & make a choice.

I said I cannot imagine anyone putting their child anywhere but the floor and not realizing there is some chance they will fall down. That (being completely unaware there was any type of risk) would deserve a true idiot's license. Actually, it would take a complete rejection of the law of gravity. Wouldn't that be something?

All our decisions have some type of risk to them. Most of us know that, and I think that's why people can get touchy when people say things like "You could roll over on your baby when you sleep with it." Or "Nursing your baby at night is going to rot their teeth" etc. It forces them to say "Yes, I realize that's a chance, but I'm willing to take that chance anyway."

Wife to my of 10 years, SAHM to my 2 beautiful homebirthed girls Sydney (4/29/2006) Kennedy (3/21/2010) & 1 super Newfoundland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 46 Old 09-23-2009, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter

I'm loving all the responses this is getting!!

Yes clearly they must know that their baby is on an elevated surface and thus risks falling. The laws of gravity apply to everyone lol. And yes I have/sometimes still cosleep and I know I could risk rolling over him. I've woken to find my arm on his chest, somewhat restricting his breathing. Very scary. But a risk I take/took. (since my periods of sleep were so short I very rarely moved in that time)

Lilac, so funny you say that because I actualy do know someone who's kid did backflips out of bumbo's. Only DAYS before the recall, believe it or not, I was at my cousins and 2 of them were sitting in it and flipping backwards, on purpose. Granted they were older but I could tell it could easily happen with younger kids. I wondered how that was safe. A few days later, recall.

tbone. it definately would have been a PM, not a comment on the pictures, in public. But I agree. I'll keep my mouth shut.

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#33 of 46 Old 09-23-2009, 02:54 PM

I actually DID say something to a friend of mine once. She posted pictures of her son in his Bumbo on the countertop - with about an inch of it hanging over.

I just very gently told her that I didn't want to seem as if I was interfering but I had heard about a child falling of the counter while in a Bumbo and suffering a head injury. Fortunately the story had been on the news the week before, so I was able to use that to back me up.
#34 of 46 Old 09-23-2009, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaningminny View Post
I actually DID say something to a friend of mine once. She posted pictures of her son in his Bumbo on the countertop - with about an inch of it hanging over.

I just very gently told her that I didn't want to seem as if I was interfering but I had heard about a child falling of the counter while in a Bumbo and suffering a head injury. Fortunately the story had been on the news the week before, so I was able to use that to back me up.
Did she take it ok?

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#35 of 46 Old 09-23-2009, 03:27 PM
Banned

I'd shoot her a casual email with a link to the recall.

But, it's not your kid, so there's really nothing beyond that you can do.
#36 of 46 Old 09-23-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcblondie View Post
Did she take it ok?
Yes, she sort of sheepishly said "I know" and explained that he was only up there so that she could get a picture. We're pretty close, and I'm not afraid to voice opinions when it comes to safety - in a gentle way. I don't think she was surprised at all to hear me say the things I did.
#37 of 46 Old 09-23-2009, 03:53 PM

It seems like all of our friends and family elevate the bumbo. I just cringe and walk away. We all have our own personal safety hangups. I know that I do things with DD that they think are unsafe. It isn't like they are letting the 3 month old play with a butcher knife.

Its one of those not really safe, but also nothing is likely to happen situations (unless it were my DD since she thinks bumbo="device to help me practice standing")

Mom to Kira March 2009
#38 of 46 Old 09-23-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcblondie View Post
Good save. lol. I would have said something similar, like, "I don't know her strength so it was making me uncomfortable." Which would imply that the mom does, and that's why she IS comfortable with it.. Hopefully she's forgotten about it already.

That being said, I was comfortable with my baby on the couch when he fell off. lol. They get stronger!
I probably wouldn't say anything. I lay my LO in her boppy on the couch where she could probably roll off if she wanted to, and let her sleep in the middle of a king-size bed by herself, which people tell me is dangerous. I'm comfortable with it for now. While I appreciate others' concern for my DD, others may not be so receptive. I would let it go, unless you're physically there. In that case, I would pick up or move the baby, and say something like, "She's just so busy that I wasn't sure if it was safe" like the PP said.

#39 of 46 Old 09-23-2009, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carley View Post
I said I cannot imagine anyone putting their child anywhere but the floor and not realizing there is some chance they will fall down. That (being completely unaware there was any type of risk) would deserve a true idiot's license. Actually, it would take a complete rejection of the law of gravity. Wouldn't that be something?
I get what you are saying. I'm sure they are aware of the risk, at least that their is one. I used to put my baby bouncer on the kitchen counter, even though there was a warning about not doing that. But there were reasons it felt OK to me--she was a newborn, I was doing dishes so she was right next to me. It was definitely something I thought through before I did it, and I only did it a few times and it was fine. Then when my second came along, I used a sling instead. And then once she actually slipped through the bottom for some reason, but I caught her since she was up against my body already.

In any event, I think part of the issue is that even if people are aware of the risk, we tend not to think that those things will happen to us, or that our situation is different than those situations where children get hurt. I think most of the issues when babies fall out of bumbos they are being supervised to a degree. I think after we do things for a certain amount of time and nothing bad happens, we may become complacent and not supervise as vigilantly, but I think most of the things happen before we can react. I think if your friend is open minded, she might at least consider in her private thoughts the concerns you have, and maybe reevaluate quietly.

My mother worries about everything, but I will say that even though I know she is a worrywart, I listen to her and sometimes I think that maybe she has a point and it wouldn't hurt me to err on the side of caution. But people are different and some might not react that way.
#40 of 46 Old 09-29-2009, 08:59 AM

I think I would mind my own business. I bet the kids who fell off the table in those were probably not being watched, and so they had to put on a warning label. I mean honestly you gotta use some logic here.
#41 of 46 Old 09-29-2009, 09:21 AM

Is there any chance it was the Prince Lionheart version? It has a safety belt that keeps the baby locked in the seat. That's the one we have, and the belt is not really visible in pictures.

Here's a link (hopefully, it works):

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/ph...&id=1202948894

Kirsten - wife to Mark and co-sleeping, breastfeeding mother to , :, and
Photography, including Breastfeeding Photography, in my Homepage.
#42 of 46 Old 09-29-2009, 09:43 AM

a belt is not gonna keep a baby from pushing backwards with their legs and flipping the thing off of a table. Taht is the big risk with these things. And it doesn't matter if you are right there looking at them, cause it can happen lickety split without you being able to react fast enough to catch them. You know that split second where you know your kid is going to tumble down the stairs/fall off his bike/grab that hot cup of coffee, where you know the outcome is not going to be good, even though you are less than five feet from the kid? That is how kids were falling/getting hurt. So, even if you are right there, on top of the kid, it is still possible to flip it off the counter/table/other high spot without being able to stop it.
#43 of 46 Old 09-29-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2maya View Post
a belt is not gonna keep a baby from pushing backwards with their legs and flipping the thing off of a table. Taht is the big risk with these things. And it doesn't matter if you are right there looking at them, cause it can happen lickety split without you being able to react fast enough to catch them. You know that split second where you know your kid is going to tumble down the stairs/fall off his bike/grab that hot cup of coffee, where you know the outcome is not going to be good, even though you are less than five feet from the kid? That is how kids were falling/getting hurt. So, even if you are right there, on top of the kid, it is still possible to flip it off the counter/table/other high spot without being able to stop it.
That totally depends on the baby and where that baby is at a certain developmental stage. A picture won't give that information, and only the mother knows for certain. When that picture was taken, Aidan did not buck backward. Now, however, is a different story. Not having seen the picture, though, I would hope the mother knows her own child and his mannerisms/ actions.

#44 of 46 Old 09-29-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirstenMary View Post
That totally depends on the baby and where that baby is at a certain developmental stage. A picture won't give that information, and only the mother knows for certain. When that picture was taken, Aidan did not buck backward. Now, however, is a different story. Not having seen the picture, though, I would hope the mother knows her own child and his mannerisms/ actions.
Yeah, well, wouldn;t you be the surprised one to see your baby's new trick- as he is flipping himself off of the table. That is teh problem- if you *thought* your baby was capable of doing it, you surely wouldn't put him on the table, right? Wellllll, that is the thing, you just never think it is going to happen to YOU, it is only people who are negligent or just plain stupid. Nope, that is the thing with accidents, they just pop up when are least expecting it. It's like saying, well, I know I am a good driver, so why bother with car seats/seat belts, they are only for people who aren't good drivers.
#45 of 46 Old 09-29-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2maya View Post
Yeah, well, wouldn;t you be the surprised one to see your baby's new trick- as he is flipping himself off of the table. That is teh problem- if you *thought* your baby was capable of doing it, you surely wouldn't put him on the table, right? Wellllll, that is the thing, you just never think it is going to happen to YOU, it is only people who are negligent or just plain stupid. Nope, that is the thing with accidents, they just pop up when are least expecting it. It's like saying, well, I know I am a good driver, so why bother with car seats/seat belts, they are only for people who aren't good drivers.
Well, yes, I can say that I would not be surprised - simply based on the number of times my son has been in my arms and in the sling (multiple times each day) as opposed to the less than a handful of times he has been in the Bebe Pod.

I cannot speak for the mom in the OP, of course.

#46 of 46 Old 09-29-2009, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm not reading all the posts.

I had a child who sat in her bumbo on the table every night during dinner. She loved being part of the conversation and at times would be so loud the rest of us couldn't talk. Clearly she loved it. I felt she was safe for many reasons- there were people sitting around the table in case she did figure out how to tip over. We were right with her the whole time, she didn't stay up there while we cleared the table, cleaned up, etc. I KNEW that it would be considered unsafe by many. I KNEW about the recall. I KNEW many people would say it was wrong. But it was the right choice for us.

Just like the multitude of choices we make daily we balance our own fears and needs. My neighbors 7th graders can't walk to school because they had a friend who was hit by a car walking to school. My kids can walk to school, but my kids can't ride in the front seat of the car like the neighbors can. Who is right and who is wrong? Neither of us. Everyone makes their own choices based on their fears and knowledge.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page