Carseats - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 67 Old 10-04-2009, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayleeZoo View Post

Not sure why there are panties in a big tangle over this thread. The Family Safety forum is better because of the CPSTs who volunteer their time/expertise, posting info. that many people in the general public aren't aware of. I haven't seen anything to get emotional about
Agreed... but this thread initially was to share a deal; not to ask about carseat safety advice.

I'll compare it to something I have experience with... when doing nutritional counseling on a pregnant woman I first start with all of the things she is doing right rather than jumping immediately to the mistakes she is making. Just a thought...

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#62 of 67 Old 10-04-2009, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayleeZoo View Post

Not sure why there are panties in a big tangle over this thread. The Family Safety forum is better because of the CPSTs who volunteer their time/expertise, posting info. that many people in the general public aren't aware of. I haven't seen anything to get emotional about
Glad you feel that way. Thanks for shrugging off my feelings

I apreciate those who meant well sharing advice and experience. I'm going to check out of this thread again because I really don't like the dismmive kind of nasty turn it seems to be taking.

Mom to Iris and Henry
#63 of 67 Old 10-04-2009, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinamidwife View Post
How is it illegal? Is that in every state?
North Carolina has a "proper use" clause in its carseat laws (as do most states, but I can't say for sure that they ALL do): this means that carseats must be used according to manufacturer directions. The Britax Roundabout manual states that the seat cannot be used if the child's shoulders are under the bottom strap slots. It is illegal to use a seat against the manufacturer's instructions: it is illegal to use a Britax Roundabout with a child whose shoulders are below the lowest strap slots.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#64 of 67 Old 10-04-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannymom View Post
Glad you feel that way. Thanks for shrugging off my feelings

I apreciate those who meant well sharing advice and experience. I'm going to check out of this thread again because I really don't like the dismmive kind of nasty turn it seems to be taking.
So what you are saying is that you weren't planning on using this seat for your newborn and that you were just passing along a great deal that you found, to use for later? Glad you were able to find such a great deal! Most babies fit between 4-6 months, can't wait to see pics of your baby in this seat then. Too bad that Britax misleads people into thinking that you could possibly use this seat for a newborn, by putting a minimum weight of 5lbs on there. It would probably be better to say that it works from like 15lb or whatever would be the average weight for a baby with a 10" torso.

But, in all honesty, I'm sorry you are so upset. I would have thought that most people would be happy to have it pointed out that Britax is very misleading in their labeling. You know, before you are stuck with a nb and a too big seat, which is a very dangerous combination.
#65 of 67 Old 10-04-2009, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2maya View Post
it pointed out that Britax is very misleading in their labeling.
If anyone takes anything from this thread, I hope it's that the weight limits on the seats are, in most cases, the outside limits of how the seat was tested, and not an approximation of the seat's useful life. Children must fit in seats by height AND weight. When rear-facing, straps must be at or below the child's shoulders and there must be one inch of hard plastic shell above the child's head. When forward-facing, straps must be at or above the child's shoulders and the child's ears must not be above the hard plastic shell.

Some of the most "misleading" examples (and this is not an exclusive/exhaustive list -- I'm sure some of the other CPSTs have their own examples) include:

Britax convertibles -- lowest weight listed as 5#, but bottom straps at 10" (most kids don't fit in the seat until 3-6 months or older)
Recaro convertibles -- lowest weight listed as 5#, but bottom straps at 10"
Dorel 3-in-1 seats -- lowest weight listed as 5#, but bottom straps at 10.5"
Britax Marathon/Decathlon/Boulevard -- top weight listed as 65#, but top straps at 16.5" (most kids outgrow it between 42"-45")
Britax Roundabout -- top weight listed as 40#, but top straps at 15"
Graco ComfortSport -- top weight listed as 40#, but top straps at 13.5" (most kids outgrow it before age 3)
Dorel 3-in-1 seats (40# harness limit) -- top weight listed as 40#, but top setting not usable in harness mode, so top usable strap setting around 14".

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#66 of 67 Old 10-04-2009, 08:00 PM

It is mis-leading, especially for moms-to-be and anyone who doesn't have extensive knowledge on car seat safety.

It's like how the boxes on high back boosters will say good for 30-100 lbs. When in fact, my 34 lb 2.5 year old would not only be unsafe in one, it would also be illegal. But someone like say, my uncle, would probably have no idea that there are other factors that come in to play before determining if that particular kind of seat fits a child.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#67 of 67 Old 10-04-2009, 08:30 PM

I think this thread has run it's *constructive* life-span and am closing it.

If someone wants to start a thread on the Britax deal, I would suggest the Frugality & Finance Forum.

If someone wants to start a thread about convertable car seat usage with newborns, feel free to start a new thread in Family Safety.

Thanks,
TiredX2

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page