Carseats - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 67 Old 09-29-2009, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know it's pretty early to be making such a big purchase but I just bought my baby's carseat and I wanted to share the deal with anyone who might be intrested diapers.com has the Britax roundabout onsale for 31% off making it $151 and the shipping is free.

Mom to Iris and Henry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 67 Old 09-29-2009, 03:54 PM

makes me wish i lived in the US!

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

#3 of 67 Old 09-29-2009, 03:59 PM

Can you back out still? The roundabout at that price is an extraordinary waste of $$....

-Angela
#4 of 67 Old 09-29-2009, 04:01 PM

that is a killer price! Is that the roundabout that goes to 50 lbs?

I've been looking at that one on amazon, and it is like 180 with free shipping. But 150 is really good! Of course I don't have the money to get it now .

We had a roundabout and it is my favorite car seat. Easy to install, comfy or the kid, and my guy are little, so we got tons of use out of it. Now they make one that goes to 50 lbs.

But am hoping some really nice relative picks it up for us off our registry. Once we get the carseat, and diapers, we're set.

Another good seat is the sunshine kids radian. You basically can use it until you kid is out of a carseat--until they're like eighty pounds! One carseat, that is it. I'm not sure how well a tiny baby fits in one, although they are made for that, and it doesn't seem as comfy as the britax. But my 2.5 year-old has one and it fits with 3 seats/boosters across in the back of our honda crv, so it is super narrow, too

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#5 of 67 Old 09-29-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Can you back out still? The roundabout at that price is an extraordinary waste of $$....

-Angela
why?

#6 of 67 Old 09-29-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmel23 View Post
why?
Most kids will outgrow it rf at 2 or before- where many seats on the market now can rear face for 4 years or longer for the average kid.

FF it is outgrown LONG before booster age for nearly all kids.

The true fit is a much better seat now and will last most kids to booster age (and rf any kid to 35lbs.) It runs around $150 and is often found on sale for $130

-Angela
#7 of 67 Old 09-29-2009, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

I don't want to back out. The roundabout can run up to $300 at some retailers. My almost 5 year old still sits in it from infancy and the seat will expire before she outgrows it in height or weight so I know it's a good fit for my petite kiddos and for my car.

I understand it may not be for everyone but for those looking for a very safe very affordable option I wanted to share.

Mom to Iris and Henry
#8 of 67 Old 09-29-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Most kids will outgrow it rf at 2 or before- where many seats on the market now can rear face for 4 years or longer for the average kid.

FF it is outgrown LONG before booster age for nearly all kids.

The true fit is a much better seat now and will last most kids to booster age (and rf any kid to 35lbs.) It runs around $150 and is often found on sale for $130

-Angela
Well, not my kids. we're shorties/small though. the true fit does look like a good seat, though.

But my kids have been the most comfortable in the britax carseats we've had. My kid could stay in her Radian until 80 lbs, but it isn't that comfortable and *always* wants to get out on long trips.

#9 of 67 Old 09-29-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannymom View Post
I don't want to back out. The roundabout can run up to $300 at some retailers. My almost 5 year old still sits in it from infancy and the seat will expire before she outgrows it in height or weight so I know it's a good fit for my petite kiddos and for my car.

I understand it may not be for everyone but for those looking for a very safe very affordable option I wanted to share.
we got tons of use out of our britax seat, too. My kids are always short and small weight wise... always below 50th percentile for both. So I guess it can't be nearly all kids who are out of their britaxes..

#10 of 67 Old 09-29-2009, 04:18 PM

We love our Britax seats, that sounds like a great deal! We chose to get a Graco Safeseat (on sale for $99! ) until we are ready to move our 3 1/2 yo ds out of his Boulevard and into a Regent or something else and pass that seat to the new baby. I don't think it is too early to buy a seat if you find a good deal or if you just want to buy now anyway. I am 30 weeks now and have had our infant seat for a month or two

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#11 of 67 Old 09-29-2009, 11:58 PM

We love our Roundabout as well. Congrats on the great deal!

Cynthia, loving my husband Isaac, my silly boy Jacob (Apr 07), my sweet little Luke (Dec 09), and my darling Lily (Aug 12)

#12 of 67 Old 09-30-2009, 12:04 AM

Just to let you know, a roundabout won't be able to be used from birth safely, even though it is 'rated from 5lb'. Baby would have to be standing in the seat for shoulders to be above the bottom strap height. It will make a decent older infant/toddler seat though.
#13 of 67 Old 09-30-2009, 04:14 AM

My already present inclination never to ask for carseat tips on MDC: cemented.

Glad you go a good deal, OP!

Science-loving mama to one little guy (11/09).
#14 of 67 Old 09-30-2009, 09:52 AM

Hey- I love britax seats- both of my kids are in them in at least one car. The roundabout is just a waste of $$. For that sticker price you can get a better and longer- lasting seat.

Used to be that the bigger britax seats (marathon, blvd) were some of the best and longest lasting seats around.

Roundabout is just overpriced for a little seat. That's a lot of money to spend on a seat to use for a year and a half (as mentioned, not useful from birth) when you can spend the same or less and get a seat that can be used for 5 years. When the roundabout is outgrown, most kids will need another seat REAR facing. Therefore you turn around and buy what you could have bought in the first place (radian, truefit, or one of the other newer long-time-rf seats) and you've spent twice the money.

-Angela
#15 of 67 Old 09-30-2009, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalemma View Post
My already present inclination never to ask for carseat tips on MDC: cemented.

Glad you go a good deal, OP!
lol. What's funny is I wasn't even asking I was just trying to share a deal with the ladies in my ddc.

Mom to Iris and Henry
#16 of 67 Old 09-30-2009, 06:13 PM

Yeah, this is something I love love love: Advice you didn't even come close to asking for.

Back to the Roundabout... my dd sat in her Roundabout for 4 years and even then she hadn't truly outgrown it; I just wanted to get her a new seat. I loved the Roundabout and if I were pregnant I would get it again. We had no trouble using the tethers and reclining it as far as it needed to go. It just so happened dd was pretty tiny but if you had an 8 pound or larger baby it would be totally fine.

You really never know how big people's kids are on these threads; I can't count the number of times people told me to get the Marathon not understanding that my dd is now 5 and weighs 34 pounds and ds is 10 and still not 65 pounds. Sometimes it's just OK to congrats someone without foisting your (unsolicited) opinion on them.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#17 of 67 Old 09-30-2009, 06:52 PM

It's not opinion that a newborn (of ANY size) will NOT fit in a roundabout. Unless of course you are birthing a ginormous baby. The lowest strap slots on a roundabout are 10", which is 2.5" taller than the true fit, which also comes with an infant insert that pushes the lowest strap height to 6.5", which is good for most average or larger sized infants. You really can't argue with the measurements, that they just won't fit. Most babies won't fit in a roundabout or other seat with similar lowest strap height won't fit til they are 4-6 months, and growing out of a traditional 22lb infant seat.

If you check out this chart, you will see that most infant seats are maxed out at around 10-11inches for top harness height, including the britax infant seat.

http://www.carseatdata.org/cnt/resou...t-measurements
#18 of 67 Old 09-30-2009, 06:55 PM

So the specs for the Roundabout that claim 5 lbs are false?

#19 of 67 Old 09-30-2009, 07:16 PM

they may claim, but under their rules, and rules for rear facing, a 5lb baby would never fit in it. My baby, who was born at 5lb, STILL at 17 months isn't big enough to fit in it, with the straps at or below her shoulders.
#20 of 67 Old 09-30-2009, 07:23 PM

Does the Trufit (or whatever it's called) qualify as a seat for low birth weight babies? Technically a 5 lb baby should be in a low birth weight apparatus.

#21 of 67 Old 09-30-2009, 07:35 PM

My baby passed her carseat test in a regular infant seat, Graco Safeseat, which is rated from 5lb, and she did fit in it as it is supposed to, straps at or below her shoulders. We did switch her to the Chicco Keyfit though, which is rated from 4lb, since it had a preemie insert. She fit much snugger in the preemie insert, it prevented her from flopping over and compromising her airway, which was a big concern since she was preemie.

The true fit is rated from 5lb to 65 lb, however, unlike the britax seats, it has low enough straps to fit a newborn, especially when you add in their included infant insert.
#22 of 67 Old 09-30-2009, 07:37 PM

oh and the only time that a low birth weight apparatus is needed, which I am assuming that you are meaning a carbed, is when an infant is release from nicu under 5lb (4lb if you have a keyfit or there is another that is approved for preemies as well, at 4lb) or if the airway is not able to be maintained in an upright position. Carbeds are rarely needed though, since most babies who are not able to pass the carseat test are not released from hospital anyway, similar for babies under 4lbs.
#23 of 67 Old 09-30-2009, 08:12 PM

I dont think it is too early to make that purchase We got our truefit when they were on sale the other day! Only 8.5-9 weeks to go here till the "duedate" so it is getting close! EXCITING!

A. Adoring my hubby, homeschooling our two beautiful lil vegetarian kiddos, snuggling our newest addition born in Nov'09 (attempted UC turned transfer at 36 weeks with PPROM) and missing our baby who we didn't get to hold in our arms
#24 of 67 Old 10-01-2009, 01:16 AM

Moved to Family Safety.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#25 of 67 Old 10-01-2009, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2maya View Post
they may claim, but under their rules, and rules for rear facing, a 5lb baby would never fit in it. My baby, who was born at 5lb, STILL at 17 months isn't big enough to fit in it, with the straps at or below her shoulders.
Yes, lots of seats claim they are able to be used from newborn up. But only the Radian, Triumph Advance and one other seat, I believe - the True Fit, maybe? - actually technically fit a newborn (Lowest harness slot at or below shoulders).

The other convertibles have lowest harness slots that are just *too* high.
#26 of 67 Old 10-01-2009, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinamidwife View Post
So the specs for the Roundabout that claim 5 lbs are false?
They aren't "false". The Roundabout and Marathon/cousins have been tested down to 5 pounds. That is no guarantee that a 5-pound baby will fit in the seat, just a statement that the seat has been tested down to that weight. The Roundabout has been tested to 40 pounds and the Marathon/cousins have been tested to 65 pounds. That is no guarantee that children of those weights will fit in the seats, just a statement that the seat has been tested to those weights.

5 pounds and 40/65 pounds are the outside limits of the seat. Practically, no 5-pound child will fit in a Britax convertible (the manuals all state that if the top strap slots are above the child's shoulders rear-facing, a different seat should be used), and very VERY few 40-pound children will fit in a Roundabout (straps above shoulders forward-facing) or 65-pound children in a Marathon/cousin.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#27 of 67 Old 10-01-2009, 12:26 PM

The Roundabout, though rated from 5 lbs, simply does not fit newborns safely. The bottom harness position is too high up (10") (Incidentally, this is true of all Britax convertibles, all Recaro convertibles, and many Dorel convertibles).

Also, it's highly unlikely that a five year old fits safely in a Roundabout. The seat is outgrown when A) the child reaches 40 pounds B) the tops of the ears meet the top of the seat or C) WHEN THE SHOULDERS GO OVER THE TOP HARNESS POSITION.

The only five year old who would fit in a Roundabout by height is one who is off-the-growth-charts tiny. Not to say those kids aren't out there, but they're extremely rare.

Just because the seat is cheaper than it is usually sold for, does NOT make it a good deal. It's outgrown rear facing too soon (putting children at serious risk of injury in an accident) and outgrown forward facing too early for a booster.

This means that parents will have to buy one or even two more car seats in addition to the Roundabout to get to safe boostering age.

CPST
#28 of 67 Old 10-01-2009, 12:53 PM

That is a decent deal, I bought a Roundabout for my 2 yo old recently to replace the Marathon that is about to expire. It is a small seat, and won't fit him for very long. BUT, it's a spare seat in DH car, and Amazon had it on sale for $109 when I bought it. Otherwise, I would have went for something else. I don't regret it, though, b/c I am hoping for another baby - so the roundabout can be used after the infant seat before a higher harnessing one. My kids are tall, though, so I would be shocked if it lasted past age 3 FF.

Mainly I just wanted to agree with everyone who said the Roundabout cannot be used for newborns. So, it's great that you found a good deal, but it will have to be used after an infant seat or a more appropriate convertible like the True Fit.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#29 of 67 Old 10-02-2009, 01:20 PM

for anyone looking for an even better deal on seats at diapers.com, use the code 10PERCENT (brings the cost of a roundabout down to $137 and change)

just my .02, i tried my newborn in our true fit premier at birth (she was 6lbs4oz) and she was nowhere near the bottom harness slots- so it would not have been an appropriate seat from birth for her. torso height really seems to be the determining factor in whether a convertible seat will work for a newborn- not weight.

eta- my kids fit in the roundabout ff till 3, but they are very short and don't weigh anything at all there are several other convertibles that will give you much more bang for your buck, with great features, but i do have a soft spot in my heart for the roundabout- i loved that seat for dd#1

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#30 of 67 Old 10-02-2009, 05:20 PM

Just my 2 cents worth because I'm getting really erked about people saying that the RA cannot be used for a newborn. I brought my 4kg, 54 cm ds home from the hospital in this seat. He and the seat were inspected at the hospital by a CPST. Sure, if he was the same size as my nieces, who looked tiny in their infant carriers, it probably wouldn't have worked, but it fitted him. We've just replaced his seat with a european certified one as we're not in the US anymore, but we had 3 years with this seat, so it was a good deal for us.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page