naked children - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 10-02-2009, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Recently, a group of my friends and I were at a playground when our toddlers all decided to spontaniously stripped off.....mother's complained.....*sigh* and said they "didn't so much mind the nakedness as the health and safety concern" (bare bottoms on slides)
Am wondering:
what diseases and infections are passed this way????
Is this actually a valid reason to keep children clothed or is it just something people are paranoid about?

Just wondering your thoughts.
#2 of 24 Old 10-02-2009, 12:08 PM

I'd be more worried about burned butts or scrapes in no fun places than disease... Unless your children were pooping/peeing all over everything...

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#3 of 24 Old 10-02-2009, 12:12 PM

Hmm.. I'm no expert but I think some worms and parasites can be transmitted. Also polio, not that it exists wild in this country. The parasite transmission doesn't seem likely to me either, but since you asked

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#4 of 24 Old 10-02-2009, 12:20 PM

Google the fecal-oral route. There are a variety of infections that are spread in this way, including rotavirus, hepatitis A, hand, foot and mouth disease and several different parasites.
#5 of 24 Old 10-02-2009, 12:24 PM

There are a number of illnesses that can be tranferred if any fecal matter is left behind on playground equipment. A child could get it on their hands, and their hands touch everything and go everywhere if you know what I mean. I also think that the playground is not the best place for nudity, but I am on the more conservative side of the nudity spectrum, so to speak.
#6 of 24 Old 10-02-2009, 12:53 PM

There are good reasons that so many nudists carry a towel around with them, to sit on.....

I would also worry about fecal/oral transmission- so many kids under 6 have their hands in their mouths so much of the time anyways, or don't think to wash hands before eating.
#7 of 24 Old 10-02-2009, 02:12 PM

There's plenty that can be transmitted this way, but I'd be more worried about burns (think hot slides!), scratches, etc on their little bums and genatils! Ouch!

Denyel & Kate Bond - Black Belt Mamas to Dekaylee born 10/29/09 - And parents to our 4-legged family including 1 Dog "Hank", 2 cats "Boris & Ahmi", and 5 Beautiful Alpacas!!
#8 of 24 Old 10-02-2009, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have no problem with letting my children getting nakid but not a park or playground. They are free to run around our yard/house nakid and several friend's houses. There for a number of years, there were a few of us moms that would get together several times a week and every time, we ended up with a pack of feral children running around. Sigh, my oldest isn't down with nudity anymore and I do miss those carefree days.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#9 of 24 Old 10-02-2009, 03:27 PM

I don't think this would have bothered me a few months ago, but DD recently went through a "licking phase". It's disgusting in it's own right, but I really don't want to know that she could have been licking things that someone else's bare butt was on.
#10 of 24 Old 10-02-2009, 05:36 PM

Germs spread by fecal-oral contact are disgusting to me, so I would probably have complained, too. I love babies cute tushies, naked at home (or a private setting) is fine, but at the park would have skeeved me out. Mostly because a naked butt is a butt asking for it's owner to scratch it - so then there's the fecal matter on their fingers - and there's said fecal matter being spread over every surface in the park. And the other kids touching same surfaces, undoubtedly putting their fingers in their mouths, ick ick. OP, I'm sure you wouldn't let that happen on purpose, but a bunch of kids running around a park while mom's talk - you probably wouldn't see it happen.
#11 of 24 Old 10-03-2009, 01:31 AM

I am all about nudity at home but in public I always have my daughter in at least a diaper. I would be worried about poo and things.

Jenn- Geeky momma to one fabulous Tiny Diva (10/27/08)
#12 of 24 Old 10-03-2009, 02:53 AM

My biggest concern with kids running around naked in public would probably be pedophiles, but it's really awful to even have to make such a consideration.

-
#13 of 24 Old 10-03-2009, 07:50 AM
Banned

DD is mostly nakey-bum at home (we do EC, and she's quite warm and usually un-dresses), but out, it is usually either too cold or too sunny. And at playgroup music, library, she's too excited to worry about clothes!

However, in all honesty, particularly a buch of potty-trained littlies in the nude, wouldn't bother me. I know that DD is usually very clean (since we wipe her bottom after each potty). I've seen too many toddlers in diapers, who have leaky poos, or get poo on their clothes while changing or who puts their fingers into their pooey diapers. So, a lot of the dressed little ones would have traces of poo on theith clothes or hands in any case.
#14 of 24 Old 10-03-2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caemommy View Post
Germs spread by fecal-oral contact are disgusting to me, so I would probably have complained, too. I love babies cute tushies, naked at home (or a private setting) is fine, but at the park would have skeeved me out. Mostly because a naked butt is a butt asking for it's owner to scratch it - so then there's the fecal matter on their fingers - and there's said fecal matter being spread over every surface in the park. And the other kids touching same surfaces, undoubtedly putting their fingers in their mouths, ick ick. OP, I'm sure you wouldn't let that happen on purpose, but a bunch of kids running around a park while mom's talk - you probably wouldn't see it happen.

Yes this was my 1st thought.

Mom to Iris and Henry
#15 of 24 Old 10-03-2009, 07:47 PM

I hate to say it, but I don't think naked butts on the slide at the playground contributed appreciably to the rather large amount of fecal/oral bacteria that were already there
#16 of 24 Old 10-03-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
I'd be more worried about burned butts or scrapes in no fun places than disease... Unless your children were pooping/peeing all over everything...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigteamug View Post
There are good reasons that so many nudists carry a towel around with them, to sit on.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by deny_zoo29 View Post
There's plenty that can be transmitted this way, but I'd be more worried about burns (think hot slides!), scratches, etc on their little bums and genatils! Ouch!
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthgirl View Post
I don't think this would have bothered me a few months ago, but DD recently went through a "licking phase". It's disgusting in it's own right, but I really don't want to know that she could have been licking things that someone else's bare butt was on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by filiadeluna View Post
My biggest concern with kids running around naked in public would probably be pedophiles, but it's really awful to even have to make such a consideration.
#17 of 24 Old 10-03-2009, 09:37 PM

Ummm... My toddler just proved the other day (in our backyard) that nakeybutt and slides are fundamentally incompatible. He just... stuck.

Swings, maybe.

I haven't come up against this, but I think I'd tend to teach my kids that we keep at least our undies on in public. It makes them more likely to holler if there's a dodgy situation going on.
#18 of 24 Old 10-03-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filiadeluna View Post
I don't think most pedophiles care if kids are dressed or not. They'll just grab what they can get.
(You still have to watch out for them... )

What I'd be most concerned about is people calling the cops. There was an incident about 10 years ago or more where a 2-year-old girl ran out of her house naked and a neighbor called CPS, claiming the girl's parents never clothed their children.
#19 of 24 Old 10-03-2009, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AislinCarys View Post
DD is mostly nakey-bum at home (we do EC, and she's quite warm and usually un-dresses), but out, it is usually either too cold or too sunny. And at playgroup music, library, she's too excited to worry about clothes!

However, in all honesty, particularly a buch of potty-trained littlies in the nude, wouldn't bother me. I know that DD is usually very clean (since we wipe her bottom after each potty). I've seen too many toddlers in diapers, who have leaky poos, or get poo on their clothes while changing or who puts their fingers into their pooey diapers. So, a lot of the dressed little ones would have traces of poo on theith clothes or hands in any case.
Yup, I've seen kids in just a shirt and sposie, and the sposie is filled to the brim in I don't know what. Then they go down the slide or whatever. Ick.

Equuskia in with Nodtveidt DD1 : DD2 :
#20 of 24 Old 10-04-2009, 01:57 AM

my first thought was the same as others about kids in diapers with overflowing whatever.

and i wouldn't want any of those parts to get hurt

: Mother (4/11/06) to Josephine and (4/23/09) to Oliver and baby (due June 1st)

Babies: Angel (6/29/02), Tiberius (3/8/11), Lillianna (12/27/11)

#21 of 24 Old 10-04-2009, 01:56 PM

Basically little kid's hands are constantly in their mouths, on things, in their mouths, on things, and on and on. So to keep other people's butts off of things as much as possible isn't too unreasonable a request. I mean, there are squirrel butts and pigeon butts, but there's just nothing you can do about that.
#22 of 24 Old 10-05-2009, 11:53 PM

I think being naked in the home is fine but not out in public. Especially at a playground.

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#23 of 24 Old 10-06-2009, 12:02 AM

ditto, about germs and especially about the potential for injury to very tender bits

Erin, 33, salty southern mama, sitting by the sea with my DH35, DD10, DS4, &DD2!
#24 of 24 Old 10-06-2009, 12:17 AM

Yea, I spent a lot of time in various nudist communities while growing up. And, like another person said, there's a reason we all had towels to sit on.

Also, on the playground, undies or some type of cover for kids was mandatory. Even though it was a nudist community ... they were pretty "germ conscious."

On the other hand, I've also been to nudist communities where no towels were used. So, I guess it depends on how much risk you see.

Personally, I don't have any real safety issue with nude kids running around. Assuming they're potty "trained". I actually think public restrooms are more hazardous than playgrounds in that area!

First special delivery - April 2010 :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page