Toilet lid locks, stove and door knob locks--really? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 63 Old 07-14-2011, 11:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are babyproofing as needs present themselves. So far we have electrical outlet covers and cords tucked away. Doors accessing rooms that have unsafe objects stay closed until we attend to them. We need a lock for our chemicals cabinet under the sink. When DD gets to the climbing phase, we will anchor a tall heavy bookcase to the wall because it is a tipping risk. The rest, we don't need quite yet or ever. I'd like to keep as much of the house accessible to DD as possible so we're slowly working on making it "baby-friendly" rather than "baby-proof". I'm not a fan of kiddy gates or locking every cabinet just to prevent a mess. I want to her to be able to explore. As long as she can't burn/electrocute/stab/poison/suffocate/crush herself, we're golden. Supervision and totally removing potentially hazardous objects/set-ups goes a long way. 

mama to 1 gorgeous DD 11/05/10

When we know better, we do better.

#62 of 63 Old 07-17-2011, 04:25 PM

I've never used outlet covers. As soon as my kids show an interest, I teach them to safely plug & unplug things and then keep an eye on them for a few days. They quickly get bored and that's the end of that. None of them have ever tried to stick anything in them. Having a friend who stuck a knife in an outlet when her dad was doing construction (she was about 5 or 6 at the time) who had no issues, maybe I'm just less freaked about them then most? Other than her, I've never known (or known of) anyone who did anything with an outlet they shouldn't have.

Most of my baby proofing involves keeping out stuff safe from them. We have a gate around dh's entire computer area because he has lots of books, videos & cables and gaming stuff. I *think* ds3 is almost old enough to not cause trouble in there, but dh would rather be safe. Once the new baby gets mobile, we'll probably have to move the gate back so it also block both sets of stairs until he/she is old enough that I can teach zie how to safely get up & down them.

We had a fridge lock with ds2 because he would not stay out of it, but he figured it out really quickly, then broke it. Ds3 likes opening the fridge, but only if someone else is with him in the kitchen.

We did put in a few cabinet locks; under the sink and on our main food cupboard that's at floor level & on the bathroom counter upstairs. With 2 older brothers just ripping them open instead of doing it properly, ds3 had those figured out by the time he was 2. It was pretty funny watching him LOCK them again after he'd broken into the cupboard, though. In his mind, they needed to be locked, even though it didn't even remotely keep him out anymore.

Other than that, we keep the bathroom & basement doors closed. Ds3 is big enough to open one of the bathroom ones now, but he never goes in there unless someone else (usually me) is in there and we generally leave it open now since he hasn't caused any trouble in months. There's no way you can have a toilet lock when you have older kids, especially when they're still potty learning.

I did have light switch extenders with ds1 & ds2 so they could be a bit more independent and turn lights on if they needed (especially the bathroom one) but I can't seem to find them anywhere anymore. The safety stuff has completely taken over.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#63 of 63 Old 07-20-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaskyla View Post

I did have light switch extenders with ds1 & ds2 so they could be a bit more independent and turn lights on if they needed (especially the bathroom one) but I can't seem to find them anywhere anymore. The safety stuff has completely taken over.

We just got some - they're still around!  These are moon shaped and glow in the dark :)

http://www.amazon.com/Kidswitch-Light-Switch-Extender-Pack/dp/B001GHZ2L8/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2BKGTUUD286ZQ&colid=3I6LQA530IKKU

and I think they could be easily described as a safety item.  There's no need to stack piles of books or stand on toy dump trucks or whatnot to turn on the light.

lover of K partners.gif mom to S superhero.gifb.12/07  and C joy.gifb.6/11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page