32 pounds at 21 months ... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 44 Old 11-05-2009, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
 
MariesMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: in the dirty mitten
Posts: 1,047
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have a Marathon for DD that she is getting close to outgrowing RF! Really, what would you techs do in this situation? I was thinking about a Radian to keep her RF, but really??? How much more height does the Radian have than the Marathon anyway. DD is 35" tall, not sure about her torso but she's fairly proportionate.

Blahhhhhh after my whole Roundabout (original RA) fiasco I'm so not thrilled. And jealous of my friends with teeny tiny little kids.

Any advice at all would be great.

DD 2/08
MariesMama is offline  
#2 of 44 Old 11-05-2009, 01:17 PM
 
Maedze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At under two, I wouldn't even consider it a question. I'd purchase a new convertible. (I'm assuming you have a 33 lb Marathon?)

I'd get the Graco My Ride, any of the Sunshine Kids' radians or the Safety First Complete Air. I would absolutely not turn a 1 year old forward facing, nor would I intimate to someone else that it was 'ok'.

CPST
Maedze is offline  
#3 of 44 Old 11-05-2009, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
 
MariesMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: in the dirty mitten
Posts: 1,047
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
No, it's a 35 lb Marathon. I'm just trying to plan ahead. If it were a 33 lb, I would definitely get a new seat.

Which website has the $5 seat return ... thing? I'd like to try a Radian in my car but don't have a lot of faith in it actually fitting. I drive a 2001 Saturn SL1.

DD 2/08
MariesMama is offline  
#4 of 44 Old 11-05-2009, 01:25 PM
 
Maedze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know Target will let you buy on line and return to a brick and mortar store for a full refund including shipping.

Is her weight at 32 nekkid? Or is her weight 32, fully dressed with shoes on?

If you have a 35 pound Marathon, and 32 isn't her nekkid weight, you've obviously got a little more wiggle room. In your shoes, as a parent and a technician, I would still be buying a 40 or 45 lb seat to continue rear facing.

However, there's a possibility that her growth might slow down radically and she could take a year to gain the next three pounds.

If 32 is her undressed weight, with clothes and shoes she's probably near 34, so I don't think you have much time.

CPST
Maedze is offline  
#5 of 44 Old 11-05-2009, 01:57 PM
 
Selesai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Keeping it all together
Posts: 1,725
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 33 lb 20 month old FF in a True Fit. Are you against turning her FF?
Selesai is offline  
#6 of 44 Old 11-05-2009, 02:11 PM
 
Maedze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selesai View Post
I have a 33 lb 20 month old FF in a True Fit. Are you against turning her FF?
Neither a 22 month old nor a 20 month old belongs in a forward facing seat. The OP is very wise in exploring her options.

i strongly recommend turning your child rear facing. Having her forward facing at this age is not a safe option.

CPST
Maedze is offline  
#7 of 44 Old 11-05-2009, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
 
MariesMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: in the dirty mitten
Posts: 1,047
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
She is 32 lbs dressed, but without a coat. I know it could be quite a while until she actually hits 35 lbs, but it could also be next week.

Thank you for the advice. I'm going to try to find a Radian to test out in my car before making any decision

DD 2/08
MariesMama is offline  
#8 of 44 Old 11-05-2009, 03:09 PM
 
Maedze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Keep in mind that puffy winter coats can't be worn in car seats...just thin polar fleece ones.

If she's 32 pounds fully dressed, you may have a fair chunk of time

CPST
Maedze is offline  
#9 of 44 Old 11-05-2009, 03:50 PM
 
goodheartedmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 1,742
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedze View Post
Keep in mind that puffy winter coats can't be worn in car seats...just thin polar fleece ones.

If she's 32 pounds fully dressed, you may have a fair chunk of time
I would still make sure you have the money saved for the seat when the time comes. It could take a year, or even two. Or it could be 3 months. My kids go through giant growth spurts, gaining 2 or 3 lbs at a time.
goodheartedmama is offline  
#10 of 44 Old 11-05-2009, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
 
MariesMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: in the dirty mitten
Posts: 1,047
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
She has fleece jackets and a wool coat, and we keep a stack of blankets by the door so they're nice and warm for car rides. Those puffy coats are everywhere though! It was hard to find a coat that she could keep on in the car.

DD 2/08
MariesMama is offline  
#11 of 44 Old 11-05-2009, 04:26 PM
 
Maedze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It sounds like you've got a great handle on what you need to do to keep your daughter safe. Good luck!

CPST
Maedze is offline  
#12 of 44 Old 11-05-2009, 05:42 PM
 
kirstenb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Diego County
Posts: 5,295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would wait and see personally before buying something... DS is 29 months and has been holding steady at 31 pounds for a good 6 months now. I would research but wouldn't buy anything until she is 34 pounds- she may level out and stay at 32 pounds for quite a few more months.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
kirstenb is offline  
#13 of 44 Old 11-05-2009, 08:50 PM
 
bobandjess99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northern IN
Posts: 5,912
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree that dd might hpld her weight for quite some time...so I'd probably make sure I saved/had the money on hand for a new seat, but wouldn't rush to buy one just yet.
If the radian will work in your vehicle, it's a great bet. However, your child doesn't seem exceptionally tall, which means the nice, cheap graco myride might be a great option for you. 40 lb RF limit, with a decent, but not uber- tall shell, and cheap, $150 usually, but with coupons, could be less. I'd at least go try one out as you try out the radian.

CPST
bobandjess99 is offline  
#14 of 44 Old 11-06-2009, 12:08 AM
 
lolar2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love how the myride came out pretty much the same day DS hit 41 pounds!
lolar2 is offline  
#15 of 44 Old 11-06-2009, 12:20 AM
 
butterfly_mommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto, ON Canada
Posts: 1,511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 21 month old who is 32 pounds fully dressed RF in a True Fit. I will be buying him a Radian XT when he out grows the TF and have asked my family to contribute to the seat purchase instead of gifts for Christmas and his birthday. I am guesstimating him to hit 35 by Feb.

Scarlett bfinfant.gif , DH Boris geek.gif , DS 1/29/08 Julian kid.gif DD2 6/7/12 babygirl.gif missing our DD 1/06/06 Sonja angel3.gif and MC @ 9 wks 11/18/06 Satchel  angel.gif

butterfly_mommy is offline  
#16 of 44 Old 11-06-2009, 12:58 AM
 
North_Of_60's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Beautiful British Columbia
Posts: 7,622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedze View Post
I would absolutely not turn a 1 year old forward facing
At 21 months old she's 3 months shy of two. Hardly a 1 year old.

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
North_Of_60 is offline  
#17 of 44 Old 11-06-2009, 01:51 AM
 
StoriesInTheSoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,501
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Of_60 View Post
At 21 months old she's 3 months shy of two. Hardly a 1 year old.
Uh... that doesn't make any sense. You are an age for a year so if a child is not yet 2, they are still 1. Would you say that a child that was 3 months from their 16th birthday should just be able to get their license because they are hardly a 15 year old?

Besides, if she's not one and not two, what the heck IS she?
StoriesInTheSoil is offline  
#18 of 44 Old 11-06-2009, 03:12 AM
 
North_Of_60's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Beautiful British Columbia
Posts: 7,622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyactsofcharity View Post
Uh... that doesn't make any sense. You are an age for a year so if a child is not yet 2, they are still 1. Would you say that a child that was 3 months from their 16th birthday should just be able to get their license because they are hardly a 15 year old?

Besides, if she's not one and not two, what the heck IS she?
There is MUCH bigger difference between a 21 month old and a 12 month old, than there is a 15 year old who's 3 months away from 16 and a 16 year old.

Calling the original poster's child a 1 year old when she is almost 2 is for dramatic effect, because it sounds way more neglectful when it's a 1 year old forward facing instead of a 2 year old.

Not that I disagree with the fact that an ALMOST TWO YEAR OLD should still be rear facing, even at 31 pounds, but I'm not going to regress her age to make her sound younger for dramatic effect. She is what she is - almost 2.

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
North_Of_60 is offline  
#19 of 44 Old 11-06-2009, 07:37 AM
 
petra_william's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: england or away in a dreamland
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Of_60 View Post
There is MUCH bigger difference between a 21 month old and a 12 month old, than there is a 15 year old who's 3 months away from 16 and a 16 year old.

Calling the original poster's child a 1 year old when she is almost 2 is for dramatic effect, because it sounds way more neglectful when it's a 1 year old forward facing instead of a 2 year old.

Not that I disagree with the fact that an ALMOST TWO YEAR OLD should still be rear facing, even at 31 pounds, but I'm not going to regress her age to make her sound younger for dramatic effect. She is what she is - almost 2.

id say she is what she is.... she is 1.

recommendations are to keep kids rf till they are at LEAST 2 and 30 lbs is that not so?
petra_william is offline  
#20 of 44 Old 11-06-2009, 10:13 AM
 
Maedze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Of_60 View Post
At 21 months old she's 3 months shy of two. Hardly a 1 year old.
I'm sure you didn't mean to be sarcastic. It must have been an accident.

A 21 month old is 1 year old. A child under two does not belong in a forward facing seat. There is no wiggle room there.

As the matter of fact, a child over two should continue to be in a rear facing convertible, as well, but those first 24 months are without a doubt the most crucial.

CPST
Maedze is offline  
#21 of 44 Old 11-06-2009, 10:15 AM
 
Maedze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by petra_william View Post
id say she is what she is.... she is 1.

recommendations are to keep kids rf till they are at LEAST 2 and 30 lbs is that not so?
No, the recommendation is to keep the child rear facing in a convertible for as long as she/he fits, with the recent testing showing that a child under 24 months in a forward facing seat is FIVE HUNDRED PER CENT more likely to suffer a serious or fatal injury, AND with the knowledge since the 60s that children are best served in rear facing convertibles until around the fourth birthday.

The study showing 500% safety increased was not conducted on children over 2, as the real life data just isn't there yet. There is no reason to think that the numbers go from 500 to 0 at 24 months.

It's only been in the last six months that the US has produced multiple convertibles capable of getting most kids to the fourth birthday.

In spirt, though, you were right There is never a scenario where a forward facing 1 year old is ok.

CPST
Maedze is offline  
#22 of 44 Old 11-06-2009, 10:16 AM
 
Selesai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Keeping it all together
Posts: 1,725
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree with North of 60.

And yes, I know most people on this board will tell me to put my daughter RF but I'm not concerned about it, and I don't think that it is as completely unsafe as is insinuated.
Selesai is offline  
#23 of 44 Old 11-06-2009, 10:18 AM
 
Maedze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Of_60 View Post
There is MUCH bigger difference between a 21 month old and a 12 month old, than there is a 15 year old who's 3 months away from 16 and a 16 year old.

Calling the original poster's child a 1 year old when she is almost 2 is for dramatic effect, because it sounds way more neglectful when it's a 1 year old forward facing instead of a 2 year old.

Not that I disagree with the fact that an ALMOST TWO YEAR OLD should still be rear facing, even at 31 pounds, but I'm not going to regress her age to make her sound younger for dramatic effect. She is what she is - almost 2.
I think your angst is misplaced.

CPST
Maedze is offline  
#24 of 44 Old 11-06-2009, 10:19 AM
 
Maedze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selesai View Post
I agree with North of 60.

And yes, I know most people on this board will tell me to put my daughter RF but I'm not concerned about it, and I don't think that it is as completely unsafe as is insinuated.

You would be wrong. It's not insinuated. It's researched, confirmable, verifiable fact. You can choose to put your child at risk, but it doesn't mean she is not dangerously, possibly lethally at risk, just because you wish it were so.

CPST
Maedze is offline  
#25 of 44 Old 11-06-2009, 11:34 AM
 
alegna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 44,408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I believe that the current AAP suggestion is rf until AT LEAST 2yrs old. AND to the limits of their seat...

but I could be remembering wrong.

-Angela
alegna is offline  
#26 of 44 Old 11-06-2009, 11:43 AM
 
Maedze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No, that is not the current AAP recommendation. The recommendation in full, since 2002 has been

1. A bare minimum of 1 year and 20 pounds (reflective of the fact that child restraints really didn't go beyond that)
2. After one and 20, to the limit of the convertible
3. Child restraint manufacturers need to develop seats that will keep all children rear facing to the fourth birthday



In February of this year, they published a newsletter encouraging pediatricians to tell their parents that the old rule of 1 and 20 was outdated, and that 2 years was a better safety goal. They have not revised the official recommendation above, but they are currently evaluating changing the language.

CPST
Maedze is offline  
#27 of 44 Old 11-06-2009, 11:50 AM
 
traceface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: into the woods
Posts: 1,340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariesMama View Post
How much more height does the Radian have than the Marathon anyway.
Don't know the exact numbers but the Radian does have significantly more height. My six year old (tall) can still fit in the Radian, height-wise (forward-facing, of course)

I think you'd get years more with a Radian and could just turn it around when the time comes.
traceface is offline  
#28 of 44 Old 11-06-2009, 01:57 PM
 
North_Of_60's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Beautiful British Columbia
Posts: 7,622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedze View Post
I'm sure you didn't mean to be sarcastic. It must have been an accident.
Completely. My bad!

Quote:
A 21 month old is 1 year old. A child under two does not belong in a forward facing seat. There is no wiggle room there.
I don't disagree, but at this age there is such a big difference between 1 years old (aka, 12 months) and 21 months, that I look at a 21 month old as almost 2 and not like a "1 year old".

If this were not a conversation about car seat safety and we were talking about shoe sizes and lunch ideas, would we still be arguing over the semantics of whether or not a 21 month old is "almost two" or "a 1 year old"? I don't think anyone would have any problem calling a 21 month old almost two in the context of shoes sizes and lunch ideas. Just saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedze View Post
I think your angst is misplaced.
Ironic...

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
North_Of_60 is offline  
#29 of 44 Old 11-06-2009, 02:46 PM
 
lonegirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto and Sault Ste Marie
Posts: 1,637
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
[QUOTE=North_Of_60;14634946]

I don't disagree, but at this age there is such a big difference between 1 years old (aka, 12 months) and 21 months, that I look at a 21 month old as almost 2 and not like a "1 year old".

If this were not a conversation about car seat safety and we were talking about shoe sizes and lunch ideas, would we still be arguing over the semantics of whether or not a 21 month old is "almost two" or "a 1 year old"? I don't think anyone would have any problem calling a 21 month old almost two in the context of shoes sizes and lunch ideas. Just saying.

QUOTE]

:

I turned Tyr at 18months and he became a very happy traveller (and mommy moved back to the front). He was a good, sturdy, strong and tall boy...and was looking very crushed RF....yes...I know his legs technically mean nothing in his RF or FF. Had he been happy and able to stretch out his legs I may have kept him RF longer but I was and am happy with my decision I made.
I am not disagreeing that RF is safer...I believe it is...we should all be able to RF and have 5pt harnesses

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
lonegirl is offline  
#30 of 44 Old 11-06-2009, 05:03 PM
 
Maedze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Of_60 View Post
Completely. My bad!



I don't disagree, but at this age there is such a big difference between 1 years old (aka, 12 months) and 21 months, that I look at a 21 month old as almost 2 and not like a "1 year old".

If this were not a conversation about car seat safety and we were talking about shoe sizes and lunch ideas, would we still be arguing over the semantics of whether or not a 21 month old is "almost two" or "a 1 year old"? I don't think anyone would have any problem calling a 21 month old almost two in the context of shoes sizes and lunch ideas. Just saying.



Ironic...
Ok, let me rephrase. You're incorrectly attributing shaming intentions to me. I did not say, "one year old" to shame anyone. I said one year old because the child is a one year old. We're not talking about shoe sizes. We're talking about child restraints.

I'm interested in presenting factual material. Factual material doesn't change based on parental convenience or perception.

It really doesn't matter if the child is 'just one' or 'almost two' in terms of child restraint safety, because the child still needs to be rear facing.

If I'm talking about behavioral development, I'll frequently specify 'what kind' of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 year old my child is...because it's relevant there. It's not relevant here.

CPST
Maedze is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off