We're going on a trip! Plane help, please! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-06-2009, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know much about flying, I haven't done it frequently and it's been years since the last time I was on a plane so I know NOTHING about flying with children. DS will be about 18 months old when we go on our trip. It will be a direct flight from Missouri to Arizona.

What is the best way to do the carseat thing? I want to have OUR carseat for the rental car.
#2 of 13 Old 11-06-2009, 02:08 AM

Two ways to do it- #1. Buy a seat for ds, bring carseat aboard, install. or #2. don't buy a seat, bring seat to gate, if there's an extra seat use it, otherwise gate check seat.

-Angela
#3 of 13 Old 11-06-2009, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter

I think that we'll buy him a seat. When we're buying, there is no option to buy a seat for an under-two. Should we say he's 2 or what?
#4 of 13 Old 11-06-2009, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyactsofcharity View Post
I think that we'll buy him a seat. When we're buying, there is no option to buy a seat for an under-two. Should we say he's 2 or what?
Most airlines you need to call for an under 2 for a reduced rate... otherwise you can say 2 or you can do the reservation over the phone. I found that most airlines you could do it on their website (but not sites like expedia etc)

-Angela
#5 of 13 Old 11-06-2009, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'd put in 2 unlesss the airline does have a reduced fare (never actually had that happen in nearly 5 years of flying with kids). Otherwise you have to book on the phone and pay the extra booking fees.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#6 of 13 Old 11-06-2009, 01:19 PM

we say they are two then call the reservations desk to explain.
#7 of 13 Old 11-06-2009, 02:14 PM

We fly a lot. My daughter has flown a dozen or more times since she was 15 months old. I DEFINITELY recommend buying a seat for him. I've flown once with DD in arms and I will never do it again. Aside from the precarious landings where I was holding on to her while it was rough, there is absolutely NO room to do anything. Can't put the tray down. Can't get comfortable. It was horrible.

I also don't recommend checking the seat, even at the gate. The luggage guys are so rough, they literally just toss it around. I once gate checked a stroller and I watched them handle it out of the little window in ramp while boarding the plane. It came unlocked from its folded position and as he tossed it onto the trolley it came unfolded. He kicked it back onto the trolley with his foot and kept on going. When we got to our destination the visor was completely mangled. I worry what would happen to a car seat getting kicked around like that. (I also purchased a stroller to leave at my moms so I wasn't traveling with mine anymore, if that's an option for you.. picking up a cheap umbrella stroller when you get there or taking a less expensive one with you.)

Continental is one that we flew with a lot and they give discounted rates for under 2's who need their own seat. We always had to do reservations for her at that age over the phone. Some sites have an option to select children under 2, but most of the cheap ticket sites don't (as someone already mentioned above).

If you are going to be flying a lot (like we do) it might be worth looking into some of these things:

I loved the gogo baby travelmate for my car seat after I decided not to take the stroller anymore. It really lightened my load getting through the airports (but I sometimes have up to 2 lay overs, which are a mega pain with car seats and strollers).

Now that DD is 3.5 we use the cares harness.

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
#8 of 13 Old 11-06-2009, 02:24 PM

I totally recommend this : http://www.kidsflysafe.com/
We bought one in January (tyr was 2y 2m) it was great because the harness was similar to a carseat harness and he is so used to us travelling by car that he fell asleep no probs with it. I kept it harnessed almost the whole time...from Toronto to Miami then Miami to Peurto Rico then on to Guadeloupe and then back again. It is easy to use and FAA approved.

Oh yeah....we brought the Combi stroller http://www.sears.ca/product/combi-co...ller/322066418 -(very very compact like an umbrella). I just checked it at the gate. It has a strap for on your back too.

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#9 of 13 Old 11-06-2009, 02:38 PM

Delta used to offer half price fares for under two. It has been 2 years since we flew Delta so this may have changed

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#10 of 13 Old 11-07-2009, 11:44 AM

Wow, good advice you're getting!

Actually, I strap my car seat to a luggage cart and it works just as well as that expensive GogoKidz thingy. My toddlers could ride in it when tired. Use an extra bungee if necessary.

You can either purchase a seat or take your chances of getting an extra place if the flight isn't full. The latter is a gamble but call the airlines off hours and ask (try early in the morning since you're in the eastern half of the country) before work hours in most time zones.

Don't be suckered into "children's discounts". Just do the math and get the cheapest seats! I've had it work out cheaper to pay the same (lower) rate for all of us.

I'm kind of new to ticket-purchasing myself, since I was with the airlines for so long, with discounted standby tickets.
-Check with travel agents, email them to save time
-Check low-priced websites like Expedia
-Check the airlines own websites
and the one I just learned
-Call the airline directly. I got the best deal by far just a few weeks ago for our Xmas tickets!

Here are my non-commercial flying tips;
http://flyingwithchildren1.blogspot.com

Good luck!
#11 of 13 Old 11-08-2009, 01:02 PM

The reduced fares for children is usually not cheaper than whatever discount economy fare you find since it's reduced from a full fare. So, we normally just buy 3 "adult" seats.

There were a few times when we bought only 2 seats and brought our carseat along in case there was an extra seat. We purchased a Cosco Scenera (I can't remember how to spell it) specifically for flying. It's MUCH lighter to lug around the airport than our Britax and I didn't worry too much if it was manhandled a bit by the luggage loaders. It's also pretty easy to install into both airplane seats and into cars. It comes with a bag to cover it and we just used a bungee cord or two to strap it to one of our pieces of luggage.

Good luck on your trip! I think you'll find it's reallly not as complicated as you're anticipating. DS is a seasoned traveler now at the ripe old age of 3.
#12 of 13 Old 11-08-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Most airlines you need to call for an under 2 for a reduced rate... otherwise you can say 2 or you can do the reservation over the phone. I found that most airlines you could do it on their website (but not sites like expedia etc)

-Angela
FYI, for some airlines, Southwest for example, the reduced price infant rate is often more expensive than the "adult" promo rates, as the discount is taken off of a regular fare rather than the promo fares.
#13 of 13 Old 11-08-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WC_hapamama View Post
FYI, for some airlines, Southwest for example, the reduced price infant rate is often more expensive than the "adult" promo rates, as the discount is taken off of a regular fare rather than the promo fares.
exactly. I've never found a worth-it infant fare in comparison to what I paid.

-Angela

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page