Total hypothetical situation--but at what point would you NOT buy a higher weight seat to continue rear facing? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 72 Old 11-10-2009, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Some of the bigger convertibles are very expensive, but not all.

If a parent buys My Ride today for her newborn? She spends 150 dollars, will keep the kid rear facing to four or near to it, and forward facing till five or six, at which point she could buy a dedicated booster.

150 dollars for six years when most people spend that on a dinky travel system is not pricey.

CPST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 72 Old 11-10-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedze View Post
Except that, as pointed out in another thread, the driver distraction is extremely overplayed. In countries where children stay rear facing to four, period, there is no issue with crashes due to driver distraction.

Even with a child screeching, the incidence of injury is less.
See, now, that's where the personal aspect comes into play. Statistics don't mean that's how it's going to play out for a particular family
#63 of 72 Old 11-10-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
See, now, that's where the personal aspect comes into play. Statistics don't mean that's how it's going to play out for a particular family
Statistics indicate what is likely. There is no reason to believe that a child is safer at 15 months forward facing, just based on crying in the car. None, zip, zero.

CPST
#64 of 72 Old 11-10-2009, 01:31 PM

That said, my personal choice when I found driving alone with an infant to be stressful, was to use the bus and walk for 4 months.
#65 of 72 Old 11-10-2009, 01:33 PM

I agree, it's easier now. But it just stinks for the rest of us who have already purchased multiple seats, but they only rf up to 33 max and now we have to run out and buy more. And based on the activity on those lovely and helpful carseat forums, they aren't always so perfectly compatible with certain cars or smaller cars.

Quote:
Some of the bigger convertibles are very expensive, but not all.

If a parent buys My Ride today for her newborn? She spends 150 dollars, will keep the kid rear facing to four or near to it, and forward facing till five or six, at which point she could buy a dedicated booster.

150 dollars for six years when most people spend that on a dinky travel system is not pricey.
#66 of 72 Old 11-10-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post
I agree, it's easier now. But it just stinks for the rest of us who have already purchased multiple seats, but they only rf up to 33 max and now we have to run out and buy more.
I completely agree...since it happened to me. Twice. *insert twitchy face here*

CPST
#67 of 72 Old 11-10-2009, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
"My son had outgrown his RF seat at 12 months. I didn't know about bigger ones until he was 18 months, and too big for any RF seat (besides swedish ones) at that point. The ones that would fit him JUST came out in the last month (he's been over 40 lbs for about a year). I wish there would have been these options a couple of years ago."

This is me! (only it was a Roundabout, and before twelve months, and then I got a Wizard and OMG what a pain that thing was in every way).

I used to think I hated car seats, extended harnessing, "extended" rearfacing - but what I really hated was the lack of decent products on the market to help me accomplish these things without causing the whole family massive discomfort (squished passenger, howling kid in the Britax with his legs all jammed up, distracted driver etc.) I love, love, love my car seat options in 2009.
#68 of 72 Old 11-10-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaCrystal View Post
Really? So would you think the Blvd would fit rear facing back there? I can't imagine it! Darn, I was hoping for the Radian. The leg falling asleep issue would be a bigger deal in the bench seat than it is in the captains seat because he wouldn't be able to drape his feet off either side of the seat like he does now.

And the trips with the MIL aren't rare. We go get her several times a week. I often take her and a friend grocery shopping or to appointments. I'm not able to lift a captains chair. So it really is an issue.
I would use the baby bucket as long as possible in the middle row. You can unclip it from the base to clmib into the back. Then hopefully in a year when the new baby outgrows the bucket, you can turn your middle child FF.

Suzan, mama to DS 9-18-07 and #2 EDD 3/4/10 GIRL!.
#69 of 72 Old 11-10-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
I don't really consider it a personal decision. The facts of physics do not change from family to family.
Yes, you feel that way. Frankly though 95% of people don't as a PP pointed out. Might as well come to terms with it.

There is always something safer that we could do and everyone has a different threshold for how far they go and what they will do to get that safer car, carseat, whatever.

Suzan, mama to DS 9-18-07 and #2 EDD 3/4/10 GIRL!.
#70 of 72 Old 11-10-2009, 05:46 PM

Although most people have no clue that rearfacing is that much safer and can be done once the kids legs are bent and they are past the baby bucket stage. I was once part of that 95% and became a member of the 5% as soon as I learned the facts.
#71 of 72 Old 11-10-2009, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Physics and physiology don't change. I have come to terms that some families will decide that the risk of forward-facing is acceptable to them. I will still argue with parents who deny that the risk exists.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#72 of 72 Old 11-10-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyLee View Post
Yes, you feel that way. Frankly though 95% of people don't as a PP pointed out. Might as well come to terms with it.

There is always something safer that we could do and everyone has a different threshold for how far they go and what they will do to get that safer car, carseat, whatever.
Perhaps I wasn't clear. The FACTS are clear that this is not a matter of personal opinion. I have no interest in accepting that people make poor, dangerous decisions. I have an interest in motivating a change in the status quo through education.

CPST

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page