Total hypothetical situation--but at what point would you NOT buy a higher weight seat to continue rear facing? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 72 Old 11-06-2009, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Let's say you have a 33 or 35 lb rear facing seat. Obviously the 40, 45 lb ones were not out when a lot of us bought seats (I happen to have a 40 lb seat, so it really is a hypothetical situation). Anyway, at what age would not go buy a 40 or 45 lb rear facing seat when your child outgrew their 33 or 35 lb rear facing seat?
#2 of 72 Old 11-06-2009, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I am wondering that too... I have a three year old that has been ff for awhile because I didn't have a clue of the rf until this last year and now I am not sure it is worth it to buy her a new seat just to rf for 5 more pounds. Like, if I thought she would be in it for several more months that would be great, but if she is going to outgrow it in the next month or so, not so much. Hmm...

#3 of 72 Old 11-06-2009, 07:43 PM

Four or in the immediate vicinity of...

I replaced DD's 33 lb seat with a 40 lb seat at 3 years 4 months.

If she had been say, 3 years, 11 months, 2 weeks, and 12 minutes I probably wouldn't have.

(and yes, I'm being slightly saucy by including such a very SPECIFIC age )

CPST
#4 of 72 Old 11-06-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedze View Post
(and yes, I'm being slightly saucy by including such a very SPECIFIC age )

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
#5 of 72 Old 11-06-2009, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
For a physically and developmentally typical child, somewhere (less specifically) around 3.5.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#6 of 72 Old 11-06-2009, 09:22 PM

Probably if my child hit 35 lbs after he was already 3.5, I would consider not buying another RFing seat but if it was in the budget without a huge stretch, I'd likely go ahead and get a 40 or more likely a 45 lbs RFing seat.
#7 of 72 Old 11-06-2009, 09:32 PM

I turned ds2 at around 3.5 when he was approaching the limit of his 32 lb Marathon.

I turned DD at 18 months or so and about 30lbs (or whatever was the limit of her seat). I didn't know quite as much about rearfacing at the time - if I had it to do over again, I would have gotten a new seat for her.
#8 of 72 Old 11-07-2009, 01:13 AM

We went through this in the summer. DD has a 33 lb limit BLVD which was the highest weight seat on the market at the time she was born. We turned her this summer when she was 3 yrs 3 months and hit the limit. We knew we were going to have another baby in the spring and we can't fit two RFing seats in our car (small car, tall DH) so at most she would have been able to RF another 9 months or so. We decided it wasn't worth it at that point. If she was an only or we had a bigger car, I might have considered getting her a Radian.

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
#9 of 72 Old 11-07-2009, 01:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Around 3 probably.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#10 of 72 Old 11-07-2009, 02:03 AM

Definitely not at 3, and at 2.5 I'd want to know the numbers. I know that after a year the advantage to being RF goes down. It becomes a case of being "better" instead of "necessary".

Also, height would be a huge factor. I'd be more likely to get the seat for a kid who had several inches of room in the shell of the new seat verses a LO with a long torso.
#11 of 72 Old 11-07-2009, 02:03 AM

Me, personally? age 5+ probably not.

anything under 3 and I would literally sell my body to buy another Rfing seat.

Between 3-5...augh. It would be hard. I may or may not depending on whether it was easily affordable or not. If it WERE easily affordable, I'd buy a new seat sure. If it were only mildly to moderately difficult, I still probably would. If it were a serious hardship, I might not, especially towards the upper end of the range.

CPST
#12 of 72 Old 11-07-2009, 02:11 AM

this is interesting, because I have thought about it. I have an almost 3 yr old who is RFing in her Marathon. She's a lightweight (maybe 28 lbs?) but has a long torso. I know she will outgrow her seat RFing by height before weight. I'm going to just wait for the situation to occur and decide at that point. I'm not sure she'll hit 40 lbs before she's 6!
#13 of 72 Old 11-07-2009, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
Definitely not at 3, and at 2.5 I'd want to know the numbers. I know that after a year the advantage to being RF goes down. It becomes a case of being "better" instead of "necessary".

Also, height would be a huge factor. I'd be more likely to get the seat for a kid who had several inches of room in the shell of the new seat verses a LO with a long torso.
500% "better" is a WHOLE LOT though. That makes it more "necessary" in my book until age 4.
#14 of 72 Old 11-07-2009, 03:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This is a topic I've mulled over a bit. I have a True Fit which has a tall shell but only a 35 lb RF limit. I got it just before any of the 40 lb seats were released.

I think sapphire_chan touches on an important piece of information: height matters too. I've heard that the MyRide has a shell slightly shorter than the TF so if my son is going to outgrow the TF by height than it won't do me any good to buy a MyRide even though it has a higher weight limit.

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#15 of 72 Old 11-07-2009, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonrose View Post
This is a topic I've mulled over a bit. I have a True Fit which has a tall shell but only a 35 lb RF limit. I got it just before any of the 40 lb seats were released.

I think sapphire_chan touches on an important piece of information: height matters too. I've heard that the MyRide has a shell slightly shorter than the TF so if my son is going to outgrow the TF by height than it won't do me any good to buy a MyRide even though it has a higher weight limit.
True, buuut most kids won't outgrow the MR by height before around 4. The chances of a 35 lb kid outgrowing the TF by height? Pretty much nil. The chance of a 40 lb kid outgrowing the MR? Slightly higher, but still low enough that I wouldn't discount the MR as a possibility.

CPST & mom

#16 of 72 Old 11-07-2009, 07:17 AM

well, since ds is likely to reach AT LEAST 5 years of age before outgrowing his britax multitech (55lbs rf limit!!) it really is hypothetical....

Quote:
Me, personally? age 5+ probably not.

anything under 3 and I would literally sell my body to buy another Rfing seat.

Between 3-5...augh. It would be hard. I may or may not depending on whether it was easily affordable or not. If it WERE easily affordable, I'd buy a new seat sure. If it were only mildly to moderately difficult, I still probably would. If it were a serious hardship, I might not, especially towards the upper end of the range.
i agree with this
#17 of 72 Old 11-07-2009, 09:05 AM

This is a question that I've thought about. I think around age 3 ish or so. But as PP said, height matters too. My 14 month old is 25 lbs but starting to shoot up like a weed. I think he'll be one of those tall, skinny kids.

Regardless, he's in a Blvd now and when he hits 35 lbs, I'll definitely get him one of the higher limit seats.

Mama to one 2 yr. old tornado banana.gif
#18 of 72 Old 11-07-2009, 09:19 AM

My son is 31 months and just outgrew his Marathon RF'ing (he hit 32.2 pounds) and I bought him a Complete Air. I desperately wanted a 45 pound Radian, but it didn't fit in my car well AT ALL. If a newer seat comes out that RF's higher than the Complete Air before he hits the limits of his seat, I will do whatever is within my power to keep him RF'ing. It doesn't bother him at all to be RF'ing, and I don't mind squishing both of us in there to buckle him in.

Honestly, I don't care if he is tall enough, or old enough to FF, I will keep him RF'ing as long as I possibly can. End of story for us.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#19 of 72 Old 11-07-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
This is really not an accurate reflection of the facts.

When the original study, years ago, was done, no one kept their children rear facing to a year. People kept them rear facing (if they did at all) until they could sit up, and then they got flipped forwards.

The only child restraints available at the time maxed out at 20 pounds. Some parents kept their children rear facing to the max of those seats.

The study compared parents who went to the max (20 pounds, usually around a year) or turned much earlier. It was found that the first set of children had a higher rate of survival in accidents.

It was NEVER intended to suggest that children were fine to forward face at a year. That was the practical reality created by seats that couldn't go rear facing beyond that.

A more recent study proved that this information is outdated, inaccurate, and based on circumstantially limited data. So yes, keeping a child over one year facing is not just better, it's NECESSARY.

CPST
#20 of 72 Old 11-07-2009, 11:21 AM

I think sapphire_chan meant that past two (ie. one year of EXTRA rear-facing time past what is legal) it starts to become better vs. necessary. At least that's how I read it.

I would stop putting myself out to buy another seat around three.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#21 of 72 Old 11-07-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinklefae View Post
I think sapphire_chan meant that past two (ie. one year of EXTRA rear-facing time past what is legal) it starts to become better vs. necessary. At least that's how I read it.

Ah, but there's no evidence to indicate that. There's only evidence to indicate that the risk of being forward facing only radically decreases once the child's cervical spine fuses, which usually happens around 4, with 3 and 6 being the outliers.

CPST
#22 of 72 Old 11-07-2009, 12:01 PM

Okay, the last numbers I read, from someone on this board, was that the risk of a fatality in a crash goes from like a million to one FF vs RF to something like 500 to one after age one.

After age two, it's going to be even less of a difference.

Those aren't precise numbers, obviously, which is why I'd need to look it up if I had a 30 month old approaching 35lbs. With a 20lb 14 month old who has only gained height since 11 months, it's really hypothetical for me.

Under 30 months or so, I'd definitely get the new seat if I had a heavier LO.
#23 of 72 Old 11-07-2009, 03:02 PM

what the heck? I posted a reply.
It posted, it showed up.
I saw it.
Now it's not here.
WTH?

CPST
#24 of 72 Old 11-07-2009, 03:15 PM

Interesting thread. I've been mulling this over. I've got a child turning 4 this week who is about 36lbs. He turned around just before he was three as he hit is seat limit. My second son just turned two and he is really at the upper limit of his seat for rear facing. he is 32lbs and in a blvd which maxes out rfing at 33lbs.

DH is chomping at the bit to turn him as the child is STRONG and when he decides he doesn't want in the seat he'll push is feet against the back of the van's seat and it is nearly impossible to get him to sit. My mother is also chomping at the bit to turn him because the seat sits at a different angle in her Jeep and as a result his legs fall asleep and he cries. Not to mention you have to climb in through the back to buckle him.

Me, I want to go out and get new seats for both and keep them backward forever!

I just don't know what to do.
#25 of 72 Old 11-07-2009, 03:18 PM

I turned my oldest at 20 lbs., and my youngest at 33 lbs. which was the limit on his Radian. He was 2.5 and there were 35 lb. seats, but not 40 lb. ones. I would have bought a new seat if there were 40 lb. seats out. I would buy a new seat to get 5+ lbs. more RFing for a kid up to 4, but not a 4+ yr. old.
#26 of 72 Old 11-07-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaCrystal View Post
Interesting thread. I've been mulling this over. I've got a child turning 4 this week who is about 36lbs. He turned around just before he was three as he hit is seat limit. My second son just turned two and he is really at the upper limit of his seat for rear facing. he is 32lbs and in a blvd which maxes out rfing at 33lbs.

DH is chomping at the bit to turn him as the child is STRONG and when he decides he doesn't want in the seat he'll push is feet against the back of the van's seat and it is nearly impossible to get him to sit. My mother is also chomping at the bit to turn him because the seat sits at a different angle in her Jeep and as a result his legs fall asleep and he cries. Not to mention you have to climb in through the back to buckle him.

Me, I want to go out and get new seats for both and keep them backward forever!

I just don't know what to do.

For the four year old? Keep him in a top tethered harnessed seat. He's fine, and very, very, very safe.

For the two year old, I'd absolutely get a larger rear facing convertible.

Incidentally, you'll find that in comparison to many seats, the Britax convertibles are cramped rear facing. The My Ride, Complete Air and Radians offer loads of rear facing leg room.

CPST
#27 of 72 Old 11-07-2009, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maedze View Post
for the four year old? Keep him in a top tethered harnessed seat. He's fine, and very, very, very safe.

For the two year old, i'd absolutely get a larger rear facing convertible.

Incidentally, you'll find that in comparison to many seats, the britax convertibles are cramped rear facing. The my ride, complete air and radians offer loads of rear facing leg room.
ita.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#28 of 72 Old 11-07-2009, 05:28 PM

Ds will be rearfacing until he is 45lbs, regrardless of age UNLESS they come out with an even heigher weight seat while he is still rearfacing.

He is 22-23lbs now, and 28months, so he is tiny. His seat now (truefit) goes to 35lbs, but I want the new radian! I'm saving for it, we have a little time given the rate my kid grows.

In general though, I'd say after 3-4yrs old
#29 of 72 Old 11-07-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighi123 View Post
Ds will be rearfacing until he is 45lbs, regrardless of age UNLESS they come out with an even heigher weight seat while he is still rearfacing.
Just wanted to mention that all seats also have a height restriction for rearfacing. Lots of kids outgrow their seats in height before weight, which is why most people recommend that you buy a seat based on your child's projected growth pattern, and not necessarily based on weight limits alone. Sometimes it's pointless to go to a 45 pound rearfacing weight limit if your kid will outgrow that in height before they ever reach 45 pounds.

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
#30 of 72 Old 11-07-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Of_60 View Post
Just wanted to mention that all seats also have a height restriction for rearfacing. Lots of kids outgrow their seats in height before weight, which is why most people recommend that you buy a seat based on your child's projected growth pattern, and not necessarily based on weight limits alone. Sometimes it's pointless to go to a 45 pound rearfacing weight limit if your kid will outgrow that in height before they ever reach 45 pounds.

I agree. Also, setting an arbitrary goal based on weight isn't relevant. A 33 pound 2 year old needs to be rear facing. A 30 pound 5 year old does not.

CPST

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page