Britax:only drawback is the price?? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-17-2009, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post
OK, I lied..upon closer inspection I actually have a Boulevard. And the thing is HUGE. The problem with the Element is not that the seat does not fit...there is plenty of room in back...but that the darn head wings prevent actually getting the kid into the seat! I suppose some could crawl in from the other side and get the kid in that way, but I can't.

With the Accord it impedes the front seat space. I'll look into the 30 degree not 45 thing, but according to the instructions it came with you have to recline it all the way to install it rear-facing. This leaves the person in the front seat with so little leg space that their knees are around their ears. Again installing it into the center is not an option (until my kid is mobile) because I can't crawl into the car and place him there (I have bursitis in my shoulder).

So long story short I wish I had purchased a smaller seat.
The blvd is the same shell as the marathon. I have 2 (3 if you count the ones my parents have) and have installed it in any number of cars and have never had a problem with the head wings. Are you installing in a 2 door car? That's the only way I could see that being an issue.

And it can go more upright. We have one in our 03 civic just fine.

-Angela
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2009, 09:57 PM

What the instructions mean is that it has to be in the mechanical recline mode. The actual angle of recline can be tweaked to be more upright but pulling the base of the carseat away from the seat bight and applying pressure where your child's bum would go (rather than feet) when you're installing it. Our Marathon (same shell) fits nicely in our Corolla with plenty of passenger room. It also fits in the middle well, leaving plenty of room for driver and passenger.

Alison: BFing, BWing, ERFing mama to KidA (12/25/07) and KidO (6/26/10) nocirc.giffamilybed2.gif

Old 11-17-2009, 10:48 PM

Quote:
OK, I lied..upon closer inspection I actually have a Boulevard. And the thing is HUGE. The problem with the Element is not that the seat does not fit...there is plenty of room in back...but that the darn head wings prevent actually getting the kid into the seat! I suppose some could crawl in from the other side and get the kid in that way, but I can't.

With the Accord it impedes the front seat space. I'll look into the 30 degree not 45 thing, but according to the instructions it came with you have to recline it all the way to install it rear-facing. This leaves the person in the front seat with so little leg space that their knees are around their ears. Again installing it into the center is not an option (until my kid is mobile) because I can't crawl into the car and place him there (I have bursitis in my shoulder).

Ah, the Boulevard is identically sized to the Marathon. Trust me, it does fit in your car. I actually own a Boulevard and am very familiar with the seat.

You are correct, the seat must be in the mechanical reclined mode for rear facing. You can, however, manually install it more upright for an older child. This is standard operating safety procedure.

CPST
Old 11-18-2009, 03:49 AM

Quote:

I have the same seat and the exact same problem in my mazda 3. I have it on the passenger side, and only very small people can sit in the passenger. I can make a little more leg room if I get it more upright like people are saying, but then the problem is that DS's head falls forward when he's asleep.

Whatever. My Radian is on it's way.

Single Mama to Vincent 3/30/09
Old 11-18-2009, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheartedmama View Post
The marathon is not appropriate for a newborn or young infant. While rated from 5+ lbs, the bottom slot is too tall to fit any newborn correctly (the straps must be at or below the shoulder rear facing)

The truefit is not a booster. It will, however, get most children to an appropriate booster age, when you can buy a dedicated booster. The truefit is a fine seat for newborns.
Oops, you're right, the True Fit isn't a booster!

However, the Marathon certainly fit MY newborn just fine. I have pictures of her on the way home from the hospital and the straps are at, if not below, her shoulders. Maybe I just had an exceptionally long-waisted newborn! I plan on using the True Fit with the infant insert for #2 anyway; it's just so much cushier looking!

High-tech Hippie Mama to Dd1 (9/22/06), Dd2 (2/25/10) and Ds (05/27/2013). I eat Clean, cloth diaper, and spend way too much time online.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:25 AM

It's definitely an extremely rare child that fits a Marathon at birth! Even my very-long-torsoed kid who outgrew the Marathon FF just before her 3rd birthday didn't fit into the MA properly until 2 months or so.

ETA: the TF is great with NB's! I love ours and it fit my 8 lb DS fabulously. Today I had my BFF's 7lb 2-week old () in it and she was so snug and cozy!

CPST & mom

Old 11-18-2009, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I love my Britax seats... that said i hate the latch on the Frontier what a pain in the butt to get it tightened because of the way angled coming out of the seat.

When we have another child we will probably go with a TrueFit or Radian

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
Old 11-18-2009, 05:30 PM

Are there other seats that can be tethered RF besides Britax and Sunshine Kids now? Because all things equal for RF, I definitely prefer my Britax and definitely still think that is a worthy additional feature.

I am thinking newer more comfy looking Radians for #3 (if we are so lucky ). But I would still buy a Britax for the RF tether if it fit better RF.

It's great that there are so many great seats that can fit for longer now though. When my boys were born Britax was it.

Mom to a 6 year old, a 3 year old, and a cuddly little newborn
Old 11-18-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamiPolizzi View Post
I have the same seat and the exact same problem in my mazda 3. I have it on the passenger side, and only very small people can sit in the passenger. I can make a little more leg room if I get it more upright like people are saying, but then the problem is that DS's head falls forward when he's asleep.

Whatever. My Radian is on it's way.
The radian is MUCH worse for taking up front to back space than a marathon....

-Angela
Old 11-18-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomedayMom View Post
Are there other seats that can be tethered RF besides Britax and Sunshine Kids now? Because all things equal for RF, I definitely prefer my Britax and definitely still think that is a worthy additional feature.
No. BUT the true fit premier has an anti-rebound bar that serves the same purpose.

-Angela
Old 11-19-2009, 05:38 AM

Good to know! I will add the true fit premier to my list of possibilities. We have a True Fit that we got an awesome deal on ($50) in Grandma's car and it is super cozy!

Mom to a 6 year old, a 3 year old, and a cuddly little newborn

User Tag List