Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
Super, I just saw "NB booster" and thought you meant 'no back booster.'
Sorry. Typo, I meant HB.
#33 of 43 Old 11-20-2009, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have had a lot of success getting 3-across in very small cars in Canada. Try these combos:

Chase (what we had, actually), snugride rf, radian across will probably work best. We have fit this in in an '88 civic, so it works in teeny tiny cars. The SR has a base, right? That will boost it up a couple inches higher, kind of overlapping the Radian and allowing a little more space.
A scenera would also work (put the eldest in the Radian) and costs the same as the Turbo.

One thing to remember is that if you put your eldest in a booster, it is really difficult to buckle them without scraping the %^&* out of your hand.
#34 of 43 Old 11-20-2009, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
haven't had time to read everything......

but I'd use two sceneras and the radian. The radian is safe for the newborn, put the other two in the sceneras. Then when the baby is big enough that it's not needing the infant insert for the radian anymore, switch the baby to rearfacing in a scenera, your middle child FF in the other scenera, and your oldest in FF in the radian. Those are 3 VERY narrow seats and should fit. The snug ride is WIDE because of the handle.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#35 of 43 Old 11-20-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throkmorton View Post
I have had a lot of success getting 3-across in very small cars in Canada. Try these combos:

Chase (what we had, actually), snugride rf, radian across will probably work best. We have fit this in in an '88 civic, so it works in teeny tiny cars. The SR has a base, right? That will boost it up a couple inches higher, kind of overlapping the Radian and allowing a little more space.
A scenera would also work (put the eldest in the Radian) and costs the same as the Turbo.

One thing to remember is that if you put your eldest in a booster, it is really difficult to buckle them without scraping the %^&* out of your hand.
OH, yes, even better.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#36 of 43 Old 11-20-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit Dancer View Post
WE have a 2002 Sunfire. I have tried on at least 6 occasions to get 3 carseats in (with different rfing/ ffing combos). I know 3 radians would fit but we do not have the money.

Right now my son is in an Evenflo Chase Booster )it has a five point harness he is using). I really am not sure what he weighs. I need to find and accurate scale. He is about 39 inches tall.

I am not comfortable at all putting a rfing newborn in my front seat besides I think it is illegal here and people will notice.

AS far as a booster bing illegal till 40 lbs/ 4years I do not know the law on this but most people I know put their 3 yr olds in boosters and I know not all are 40 lbs. I even know a couple people who have 2 yr olds in booster (I would not do this). It is very common and no one says anything and the cops do not care.

If I do this my son will be almost four. Are there any crach tests or data showing a young four in a properly harnessed NB booster?
this is what i would try if i was you.
dd in the chase booster in the 5-point harness (because she will be under the 47lb)
ds in the radian (because he will be able to be in it longer in the 5 point)
baby in the bucket if you are lucky this baby will not out grow in in a few months.
the true fit goes on sale at zellers/toysrus for 150. since it has the weight limit of 65lb and is alot less then a radian it is a good option.
the Evenflo Titan Sport Convertible Car Seat is $99 in toysrus.

placement would be trial and error. radian in the middle, chase on one side & bucket on other side.
#37 of 43 Old 11-20-2009, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
OK so thanks for all your insight.
To answer some questions:
1) I live in Canada so our seat options are more limited here plus car seats cost a far amount more here then down in the US. For example another radian would be about $400 and that would be a good deal.
Babyproofingplus has Radians on special right now for about $230 http://www.babyproofingplus.com/item...?blnSearch=yes (just one of them - they have a few with different covers on sale too). It is a Canadian store, and shipping should be free. I'm not sure how long the sale is on for or when it will repeat. The normal price is 300 for that one or they have others for 270 normal price, but they seem to pretty much always have free shipping offers for orders over a certain price.

It's still quite a bit more than a booster, but also considerably less than $400.

Are you going to be able to fit another convertible in when the Snugride is going to be outgrown? If you are going to need another Radian then anyway, it would be far better to try to scrape the money together now while the price is good as well as allowing you to keep the older child safer for longer.
#38 of 43 Old 11-20-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pers View Post
Babyproofingplus has Radians on special right now for about $230 http://www.babyproofingplus.com/item...?blnSearch=yes (just one of them - they have a few with different covers on sale too). It is a Canadian store, and shipping should be free. I'm not sure how long the sale is on for or when it will repeat. The normal price is 300 for that one or they have others for 270 normal price, but they seem to pretty much always have free shipping offers for orders over a certain price.
I was going to say the same... and actually they are cheaper at juniorbaby.com 199.99 with 20.00 shipping (so 219.99 altogether) for that model. And the XTs (which rearface 5 extra pounds) are 229.99 with 20.00 shipping.

But I see how that still might not matter if there just isn't money there right now...

There is bound to be a lot of places clearancing out their old Radian stock (which is what is happening at Junior Baby) to make room for the new Radian SLs coming next month.

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#39 of 43 Old 11-21-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throkmorton View Post

This is an excellent plan and a good point!

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#40 of 43 Old 11-21-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
WE have a 2002 Sunfire. I have tried on at least 6 occasions to get 3 carseats in (with different rfing/ ffing combos). I know 3 radians would fit but we do not have the money.

Right now my son is in an Evenflo Chase Booster )it has a five point harness he is using). I really am not sure what he weighs. I need to find and accurate scale. He is about 39 inches tall.

I am not comfortable at all putting a rfing newborn in my front seat besides I think it is illegal here and people will notice.

AS far as a booster bing illegal till 40 lbs/ 4years I do not know the law on this but most people I know put their 3 yr olds in boosters and I know not all are 40 lbs. I even know a couple people who have 2 yr olds in booster (I would not do this). It is very common and no one says anything and the cops do not care.

If I do this my son will be almost four. Are there any crach tests or data showing a young four in a properly harnessed NB booster?
Are you saying you can get radian/bucket and chase in the car? If so, put the 2 yo in the chase harnessed, older kid in teh radian harnessed, and baby in the bucket.

CPST
#41 of 43 Old 11-21-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandgeek View Post
I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but buckling in a booster beside another car seat is much more difficult than installing a harnessed seat and just doing up the harness each time.
Yes. We have 3 kids sitting 3 a cross in a Jetta. We tried putting 6 yo dd in a HBB in the middle and it was impossible to get her seatbelt buckled correctly. We now have her back in her radian, DS (4yo) in a radian and DS (13months) rfing in a scenera.

If I were you I'd scrimp, save and sell whatever I had to to buy a second radian. Can you get a part time job for a few months? Can your husband?

Amy, mom to LadyBug, SnuggleBug and StinkBug.  Expecting BabyBug in August 2011.
#42 of 43 Old 11-21-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suebee79 View Post
What do people who have trucks do?
In our state there are a few exceptions one of them being trucks or vehicles where they only have a one row like a two seater. But if your in a car with 2 rows, front and back, children under the age have to be secured in back. I believe you can petion for a hardship permit like if you had a valid reason to do so but from what I heard its a PITA to get.
#43 of 43 Old 11-22-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv-my-boys View Post
In our state there are a few exceptions one of them being trucks or vehicles where they only have a one row like a two seater. But if your in a car with 2 rows, front and back, children under the age have to be secured in back. I believe you can petion for a hardship permit like if you had a valid reason to do so but from what I heard its a PITA to get.
Woudl you mind sharing you state? Most of the laws I've ever seen have an exception to the "children in back" rule for situations where , for example, there are already all the seat in the back taken by other children, or other situations. I've never seen one tha doesn't have exceptions.

CPST

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page