Forum Jump: 

#121 of 125 Old 12-18-2009, 11:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeminijad View Post
Seriously.

Do other primates bring canines into their family units, fostering them, feeding them, even when they "nip" the baby primates and threaten them? Do the mother primates "try to avoid" getting rid of the pups, even when their offspring is in danger, because of their warm soft fuzzy feelings?

Protecting our own is biological, sociological & evolutionarily the primary directive. I have a hard time understanding keeping any animal that I perceived as even a minor threat to my child.
Brilliantly put. This is why some of us are incredulous at this situation.
#122 of 125 Old 12-19-2009, 11:53 AM

I don't know if the OP is still reading this thread but I just wanted to say something. I am a huge dog lover and I understand that your dog is part of your family. When my old dog died, I was heartbroken. We now have another dog that is wonderful with our kids. I do have to say though that I really think think you should consider finding another home for her.

Have you talked to any cocker rescue groups?

I would try to contact Jean Donaldson who wrote The Culture Clash. I don't know if you've read that book but she is an amazing behaviorist who really understands dog aggression. She doesn't chalk things up to dominance and pack theory like a lot of trainers.
#123 of 125 Old 12-19-2009, 12:12 PM

i dont trust cockers.
gmil had one we baby sat ONE time and it offered to bite me. we still had a couple of days left im sorry to say the dog remained gated in a bathroom with as little interaction as we could.
im a dog person i love traiing dogs and interacting with them. but as i have lerned about dogs there are breeds who i find more trustworthy cockers and chows are not among them.
#124 of 125 Old 12-28-2009, 05:19 PM

I know this is an old thread, but I had to add something. I have a bunch of things to say, but I can't get them into words, so I will just stick to the facts. I have an adopted daughter who was removed from her birthfamily due to a dog bite. Obviously, as the investigation into her birthfamily continued, there were many issues. But really, one bite from a dog that is known to be aggressive is grounds to lose your child until the investigation is complete. My daughter almost died due to this bite. The dog was far less than twenty pounds, but hit a major veins and nerves. My daughter has severe nerve damage that will affect her for the rest of her life.
#125 of 125 Old 02-18-2010, 09:02 PM

I just found this old thread but have a few things I'd like to address. I work with dogs and have worked with dogs for years in many ways. I have four dogs and am pregnant. I also have a 10 month old nephew who is at my home very often (2-3 times a week). Three of my dogs are rescues (which are often more unpredictiable than those from a good breeder).

I do not think at the first sign of agression a dog should be given away or put down. I think a very reputible behaviourist or trainer should be called IMMEDAITLY (the fact that it took several nips/bites from this dog is not a good sign for the mother). An option that I have not seen discussed is Doggy Boot Camp, many trainers and kennels offer this service and some do a great job with it. It would remove the dog from the situation while hopefully helping the dog to be better behaved when it comes back.

Also, it was metioned in this thread that you can't train fear out of a dog. I disagree. I rescued a dog becuase it was given up due to biting a child.... I learned a lot about that dog and now I trust him around my nehew. That dog had obiviously had some sort of abuse. He was EXTREMLY food agressive attempting to bite my husband. myself and my other dog. But we worked with him a lot (if you want details I can give them seperatly) and now several people can apprach him while he eats and even take the food away. Now I would NEVER let a child aproach his food bowl and I would never leave ANY of my dogs alone with a child. But food agreassion is just one of his issues.... learning about his issues and working with them has made him a million times better than when we got him!

Finding the root of the problem is where you need to start. It is usually either fear or dominance. If it is fear the dog needs to learn that it will always be provided with its basic needs, just eating on a regular basis helped our dog! Fear usualy comes from abuse..... If dominance is the issues they need firm correction (not BEATINGS) to learn that ALL humans are above them (this is the issue I have with my alpha female....) she doesn't see babies as people, so she doesn't see them as above her, she has never snapped at a child or baby, but has growled and has been corrected. She now lets my nephew pet her and she doesn't react at all she just puts up with it. I don't let if go on too long though, I show her that as the Leader I'm looking out for her needs and wont let her get hurt.

If a dog has dominance issues it should NEVER be in your bed! That is a position of power in a home. It is an elvated sleeping area that in the wild would only be for the alpah animals. It also shouldn't be allowed on furniture, and for some, they shouldn't have toys around (that they could get agressive protectiong).

I do not think Euthinaisa is necisary is very many cases, there are 100's of rescue groups around that country that will do whatever they can to help (traditional shelters usually are not much help...)

Also, even though I think MOST dogs can be trained to be safe around children (for some period of time, all dogs need a break!) there are the few that can't and in those cases the safty of child is always number one and all other options should be persused. When my baby is born in september my dogs will slowly be introduced and will probably be sperated A LOT, when the baby is that small. But as time goes on my dogs will be around my child a lot. And yes, ANY DOG CAN BITE, but with well trained dogs it is well worth the small risk. I grew up with a dog, and loved every minute of it! Good dogs and good kids need each other!

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page