until what age do you keep your child rear-facing? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 64 Old 11-29-2009, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WC_hapamama View Post
It's nice that those seats are available in Sweden, but they're not quite "kosher" to use here in the US>
What do you mean that they're not "kosher"? Do you mean they're not approved to be used here or that culturally people aren't used to having kids rear facing this long? I am really curious. I never had a clue that kids can rear face past two .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 64 Old 11-29-2009, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by APToddlerMama View Post
What do you mean that they're not "kosher"? Do you mean they're not approved to be used here or that culturally people aren't used to having kids rear facing this long? I am really curious. I never had a clue that kids can rear face past two .
They are illegal to use in the US because they aren't tested here, thus meeting the US standards. This doesn't mean that they aren't just as safe to use here as they are in Sweden... Its just a technicality that makes them illegal.

Carly [29] + DH [27] + DS [9]

TTC my second and his first!

#63 of 64 Old 11-29-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiekisses View Post
The recommendation in at least the two scandinavian countrys that are on the world top for keeping kids RF the longest (sweden and norway), are boosters after RF-ing. The kids are 4-5-6 years old by then, and can sit properly in boosters. This recommendation is also there because they believe that in 5 pt harness FF-ing, the neck of a child will be under extreme pressure during an impact, the head will be thrown forward, the rest of the body being held back. And their necks can simply snap. It makes sense too, because in a 5 pt harness, their bodys stay completely still, held by the barness, and all the strain of the impact is put on the neck. Those are some major forces. But in a booster with the seat belt, the impact is more spread over the whole body, bc the seat belt moves a little, allowing the upper body to also take some of the impact, not just the neck.
So here, it's RF-ing, and then booster.
I go by the studies and statistics of these countrys because they are obviously leading in car seat safety for kids. Their mortality rate for kids in cars are extremely low, nothing compared to the US for instance where it's the number one killer of kids.
(We live in scandinavia now, and can use the seats here that RF kids up to 4-5-6 yo.)

And, someone asked if the kids wont complain about having to RF because of their legs. And no, they don't. They sit very comfortable with legs crossed or up in another comfortable position. It's when they are turned FF and still too young to reach the floor of the car they complain bc their legs dangle and fall asleep. Kids are very flexible, not like adults at all, and will be comfortable RF-ing as long as their parents don't tell them it's uncomfortable, or just think it is and turn them bc it looks like it is (without the kids complaining at all).
See, I would really prefer going straight from RF'ing to booster as well, but I'm not sure I will be able to get him to a decent weight before he outgrows his TF by height. He's only 25lbs now and while we are working putting more weight on him (we're being very strict about his diet and he's on Pedia Smart now) but if he doesn't gain a lot of weight and he outgrows the TF by height, then I'd have a <35lb ~7yo and I don't think I'd be comfortable boostering a child that small. If we can get some weight on him and we wind up having to get a seat that RF's to 45, then I would be okay boostering him after that. That is, IF he is mature enough in the first place (he is no where NEAR mature enough yet at 4.5). I really hope he is though because the more I read, the more I would rather go straight to a booster.

We're hoping my nephew will be able to as well but I doubt we'll booster him full time unless he makes it close to 5 RF'ing. And while she'd prefer him to be RF'ing, I think my sister is looking forward to being able to booster him in his dad's truck, simply because he sucks at carseat usage, no matter how many times we try to teach him. He just doesn't really care. And a properly used booster would be safer for him than an improperly used harnessed seat.

Carly [29] + DH [27] + DS [9]

TTC my second and his first!

#64 of 64 Old 11-30-2009, 03:07 AM

Probably only to about 3. I did get the newer 45 lb limit seat, but it really hinders the comfort of the passenger seat and I can't imagine keeping it the way it is for two more years. If my son hadn't outgrown the marathon by 2, then the fit wouldn't be an issue. But he did, so his size affects my answer. My other son was 2, but he hit 33lbs and I had no choice.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page