*Update* Getting a booster seat for 8 yr. old? got it!! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 12-12-2009, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sitting on a booster seat they can see much better out the window. That's a big selling point for DD who is quite prone to travel sickness, anyway.

She only weighs about 49 lbs at 8yo, so will be a while before she's legal in CA without a booster.

~ Yank Transplant to Britain and Zookeeper of 4 DC age 15 and under. ~
#32 of 45 Old 12-12-2009, 03:05 PM

I don't know how mature your DSD is, but what helped A TON with my 9.5yo DD was having her watch crash test videos of high back vs. low back boosters; seeing the dummy's head crash into the window sideways really made an impact on her and she is convinced that she's safer in her Monterrey than a low back or no booster. And none of her friends ride in any type of booster at all, so we had a bit of peer pressure issues going on when driving other kids around, etc.

We have a Monterrey as her primary seat, and a Compass B540 for grandma's car. The Monterrey fits a petite child SO much better, IMO.

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#33 of 45 Old 12-20-2009, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

OK, so DSD is 55lbs, 48" tall and has a 17" torso

Does that help with reccomendations?

We talked to her about getting a new seat for her and how it will be more comfortable, safer, and she can see out better...she is pretty excited

Dh is really leaning toward the Evenflo Big Kid ($39) or any other compatible lower priced booster (funds are extremely tight right now with the new baby, me not working and the Holidays)
I'd rather get the SK Monterrey (on sale for $99) or the Parkway ($119) or even the Recaro Vivo ($99)

What can you ladies give me to either support my argument or help me be ok with the Big Kid???
Keep in mind she will be in the 2nd row of a '09 Pilot and next to the infant who rides in the center in her (current) Keyfit
p.s. I really think we need to stick to a a HBB because of her being against the door AND her tendency to want to curl up and sleep the side wings would really help by giving her a place to rest her head

DS-(1996), DSD-(2001), and our miracle baby girl-(7/7/09) and Always remembering my 3 brokenheart.gif angel babies
and cautiously due May 12, 2011!
#34 of 45 Old 12-20-2009, 10:39 PM

Ack, stay away from the Big Kid. It's really not a fantastic booster It's not *terrible* but it's really not good. It's got really lousy side impact protection, and the lap belt tends to position quite poorly. It's also not that tall.

Again, I'd avoid the Monterey just because it'll be too wide to be next to another child restraint comfortably. I'd go with the Parkway

CPST
#35 of 45 Old 12-20-2009, 10:46 PM

Yeah, no BigKid. That thing is horrendous.

My vote is Parkway, Monterrey, or Vivo. The Monterrey is wide, but I don't think it's so wide that it would be a problem, next to an infant seat in a full-size SUV.

CPST & mom

#36 of 45 Old 12-20-2009, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
If price is a sticking point, look at a Graco Turbooster, sometimes on sale for $50ish (no, not quite $39, but not $100 either). The Turbobooster will be outgrown sooner than the ParkwaySG, but given that she's already eight, she'll be ready for a backless by the time she outgrows the highbacked portion of the Turbo.

(And she wears a 6X? Wow, kids are different. My daughter's a similar size and she wears a size 8.)

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#37 of 45 Old 12-21-2009, 12:06 AM

We had my dd in a turbo booster that she loved until she outgrew it. She will be 8 in January and is about the size of your ds. We have our ds in a Nautilus which does seem to have a higher back on it then the turbo booster which is important with our very large for their age children, but wouldn't likely be such an issue for your family. I've seen the turbo booster around $50 several places while looking at car seats recently for new baby and ds2.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#38 of 45 Old 12-21-2009, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter

ok, so I talked to DH some more, If we go for the more expensive seats it will have to wait for next payday which is a month away

If we get a booster now, it looks like it will have to be the Turbo Booster or maybe this one (Harmony?) any of you know about that one?

We found the TB in store for $50 (in either pink or black/silver), so no waiting on shipping

The ONLY thing I really was hoping for is the Latch feature

oh, Chickabiddy, yep she can still wear her 6x/7 shorts and skirts...just not pants because they are too short...tiny little waist on her but we mostly get 8's and they are just a little loose on her

DS-(1996), DSD-(2001), and our miracle baby girl-(7/7/09) and Always remembering my 3 brokenheart.gif angel babies
#39 of 45 Old 12-21-2009, 04:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The turbo is a great seat for the price.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#40 of 45 Old 12-21-2009, 11:00 AM

Lucky wife to DH and mom to DS (10/02) and sweet DD (7/08) and DSD (3/93) and assorted animalia
#41 of 45 Old 12-21-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXmom2 View Post
OK, so DSD is 55lbs, 48" tall and has a 17" torso
My son is 7, and just a tad smaller (46"? and 48 lb) and fits very well and likes his Graco Turbobooster (high back) with plenty of room to grow.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#42 of 45 Old 12-22-2009, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter

sorry to be a pain...

anyone have any experience/input on the HB Harmony I mentioned. As
I'd like to get her booster asap and trying to decide between it and the TB. The Harmony looks more comfortable....

#43 of 45 Old 12-30-2009, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

So, I got DSD her new seat. We went with the HBTB in "Girls Rock" and she loves it!
It fits her well and she's still got some growing room (at least 2-3 notches on the headrest settings)
I got a really great deal on it too. Found it in a local Target on sale for $45

Thanks for all the suggestions and help ladies
She is very proud of her new seat and tells almost everyone about it and how much more comfortable, safer, and what a great view she has. I love the fact that DSD is now riding safer, at least when she's here. (her mom wasn't too pleased )

#44 of 45 Old 12-30-2009, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I'm glad you are happy with your purchase. The Harmony has oddly shaped belt guides: the Turbobooster is easier to use. The Harmony also does not have energy-absorbing foam in the headwings, and I think that's a nice safety feature to have.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#45 of 45 Old 12-30-2009, 08:16 PM

My 9 yo and 7 yo are still in boosters in dh's car, and in Britax 5pt harnesses in my car. We've had a few issues with friends teasing them, but 9yo dd dealt with it by looking the kids in the eye and saying "So?" in a tone which meant "And your problem is what exactly?" The teasing stopped, and my kids just accept going in their seats. In this state, it is illegal for them not to be in boosters at their height, but very few of their friends' parents seem to bother.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page